• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
The rumor actually is that more PS5 pre-orders will go up on the 22nd. So that should be interesting to see as sites die.
If Sony gives heads up to retailers it isn't as big of an issue. Sony dropped Black Friday tier sales - without prep time for retailers. When given a date big ecomm sites increase server capacity and lighten load by removing site features. Often they have lite modes of carts/purchase systems they swap in to keep stability. mad dash randomly in the evening doesn't allow that. Obviously still depends on the quality of the site, but it should be a lot less of an issue with notice.
I don't blame Sony as much as I do the retailers. Walmart started it by purposely opening prayers early. They cause the stampede which led to a domino effect throughout the other retailers. Amazon was caught flat-footed because they weren't anticipating going live until the next day either. I guess Sony's biggest mistake was relying on their retail partners to follow what Sony had laid out.
What time and date did Sony layout beyond a random tweet about "tomorrow"? Sony could have easily said Friday 8am, and Walmart would have stuck to it. 100% on Sony for having zero plan.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
EiSfj5hWsAIWJn_.png

mujun

Nov 1, 2017
Yeah I've got a few myself and asked my coworker to do some for me. I was entering to win switch for her the last few months and neither of us won anything, so don't like my chances either...

I signed up for Yodobashi on Thursday. Annoyingly I have bought from them before but didn't haven't an account, which I believe it does say is required.

What other sites have you entered on? Want to check I've got all the ones I'm eligible for šŸ˜­

Nojima, Yamada and Bic Camera. Haven't managed to get Yodobashi to work yet.

SlickShoes

Oct 27, 2017
So will they actually say when and at what retailers? Or is it just random again?

my country doesn't have the big retailers that are preferred in other countries so it feels like the Wild West, just check a bunch of random sites and maybe they have them maybe they are just taking orders for stock they don't actually have

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Ha thought so I was so used to seeing your name with good ole Eugene it threw me off
Yeah haha I've had that avatar for 7 years and back then I was a really big fan of the show. But I really hated it after season 6 and stopped watching it after completing season 7, so it didn't really make sense for me to still have the avatar other than literally just being known for it on this forum.

Oct 28, 2017
Whenever someone starts a conversation with Ā«Lets be honestĀ», I dont believe a word they say.

Why not be honest all of the time?

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
Controlling retailers like that seemed unusual to me anyway. Maybe you can pull that off in the US but not across the world. I mean Nintendo doesn't even announce hardware pricing for Europe anymore since one of the DS iterations, saying to check retailers.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
Controlling retailers like that seemed unusual to me anyway. Maybe you can pull that off in the US but not across the world. I mean Nintendo doesn't even announce hardware pricing for Europe anymore since one of the DS iterations, saying to check retailers.
What's weird with this situation is that preorders in Europe where very staggered and actually some retailers did give a specific notice.

From what I understand, Sony informed retailers on big markets first about unit allocation but messed up enforcing a specific preorder time. US being several hours behind Europe was the first that jumped the gun (I guess someone did it first and the rest followed). Big markets in Europe followed soon after (next morning). Smaller markets on the other hand (eg. retailers in the Nordics as well as Southern Europe) actually did give notice on Friday.

Sony should have set a specific preorder date and time, preferably on Friday, which gives people 2 full days to prepare.

Hale-XF11

Dec 8, 2017
I like how we still have no clue what's happening with the next wave. Sony's like, I got you guys, then ghosts us.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
I like how we still have no clue what's happening with the next wave. Sony's like, I got you guys, then ghosts us.
If they did announce times, then you'd hear the chorus of, "You shouldn't have announced times! Now the bots will get them!"

As if the bots weren't already getting them.

There are actually people who think this "Walmart having 20 seconds worth of stock randomly at 3am" garbage is a good thing.

Harris Katz

Apr 9, 2018
If Sony gives heads up to retailers it isn't as big of an issue. Sony dropped Black Friday tier sales - without prep time for retailers. When given a date big ecomm sites increase server capacity and lighten load by removing site features. Often they have lite modes of carts/purchase systems they swap in to keep stability. mad dash randomly in the evening doesn't allow that. Obviously still depends on the quality of the site, but it should be a lot less of an issue with notice.

What time and date did Sony layout beyond a random tweet about "tomorrow"? Sony could have easily said Friday 8am, and Walmart would have stuck to it. 100% on Sony for having zero plan.
We don't know what Sony shared with the retailers. What we do know is that Walmart tweeted out that they were going to open their pre-orders early. I believe the tweet implied that they don't like to follow the rules, or something to that effect. Walmart started the whole issue.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Whenever someone starts a conversation with Ā«Lets be honestĀ», I dont believe a word they say.

Why not be honest all of the time?

I think you're misreading what the colloquialism means at least when it comes to regular people. It doesn't mean the person was lying before. There are a lot of ways to read it, including "let's cut to the chase" "let's acknowledge the elephant in the room" or a kind of way to prepare an empathetic response to saying something that may be taboo.

Oct 25, 2017
Had to double check when Sony tweeted this. So it's been more than a few days now and nothing on more preorders...cmon Sony