• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AGN

Alt Account
Banned
May 13, 2020
Well, hopefully the retail outlets will give us at least a little bit more time before they open up pre-orders again. I would love to snag one from best buy so I can cancel my amazon pre-order.

AGN

Alt Account
Banned
May 13, 2020
Those are words I never could have imagined hearing :p

Lol, to be fair I have a bb gift card so that's helps. Also, I would rather pick up the box in person rather than having it shipped to me. I know there's a 99.9% chance something wouldn't happen....but still.

I blame retailers, they should've followed the preorder plans. I'm looking at you Wal-Mart...

Exactly. I don't think Sony did anything wrong. It was the retailers who jumped the gun and screwed everything up.

DodgeAnon

Oct 25, 2017
Glad they've addressed this, I literally had no idea pre-orders were up in the UK until it was too late and they had all sold out.

Feb 24, 2018
Question, why did the retailers go rogue? To me, Sony is at fault for the vagueness and not given customers proper info, especially in that last showcase but goes back for months, as many have pointed out, it shouldn't be left to Sir Geoff Knightly (I'm sure he's video game royalty by now?) to tell us all when pre-orders were supposed to go up and ton of other details and some we still don't know exacts on like the availability of the Spider-Man 2018 remaster.

But Walmart and the retailers that did this are also at fault to, both for going rogue and seemingly not bothering to have basic checks for bots and the like and crappy websites it seems.

But why go Rogue in the first place? In the middle of a Pandemic when sales are already down heavily, isn't burning bridges what you DON'T want to do? Especially Microsoft having to threaten them, this seems like the last thing you'd want, like if Sony was pissed enough and cut ties and gave their stock to others, that's a massive blow. I just don't get it?

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
Lol, to be fair I have a bb gift card so that's helps. Also, I would rather pick up the box in person rather than having it shipped to me. I know there's a 99.9% chance something wouldn't happen....but still.

Exactly. I don't think Sony did anything wrong. It was the retailers who jumped the gun and screwed everything up.
I certainly see some blame on sony for not imposing a specific worldwide time and date, retailers were supposed to launch the following day but there was not enough comunication of the exact time. It should have been in the presentation. This lead me to believe they were letting retailers decide how to announce their own preorders, which was a mistake on sony's part. Oh well, the point is moot because Walmart would have broke the embargo anyway, and that's what multiplied the problem by a thousand. Basically it would have been a very minor issue if it wasn't for walmart.

Hale-XF11

Dec 8, 2017
That's great.

But...would it be too much to ask Sony to start including customers, who have been around since the early 2000s, in their promotional mailing list?

Because no matter how well this goes for Sony, many of us are still going to get left in the dark.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Curious to know how many units they will be able to ship at launch and by the end of the year.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Question, why did the retailers go rogue? To me, Sony is at fault for the vagueness and not given customers proper info, especially in that last showcase but goes back for months, as many have pointed out, it shouldn't be left to Sir Geoff Knightly (I'm sure he's video game royalty by now?) to tell us all when pre-orders were supposed to go up and ton of other details and some we still don't know exacts on like the availability of the Spider-Man 2018 remaster.

But Walmart and the retailers that did this are also at fault to, both for going rogue and seemingly not bothering to have basic checks for bots and the like and crappy websites it seems.

But why go Rogue in the first place? In the middle of a Pandemic when sales are already down heavily, isn't burning bridges what you DON'T want to do? Especially Microsoft having to threaten them, this seems like the last thing you'd want, like if Sony was pissed enough and cut ties and gave their stock to others, that's a massive blow. I just don't get it?

Walmart went early for the Switch too. I think they just figured the presentation is over, time to rock and roll.

CrispyGamer

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
The good news is that they'll supply retailers throughout the rest of this year I thought i was gonna have to wait until next year for the digital version now i can cancel my disc version from Target.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't expect them to acknowledge this. Good on them. Hopefully more people get their pre-order secured.

Even if what happened was 100% intentional and worked exactly as they wanted and it effectively limited the number of scalpers who got their hands on one. No good would come from them saying "everyone complaining is wrong, we did things right", or even saying nothing. "our bad" is free good press even if they don't believe it.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Maybe I'll get one this year after all. Will just have to see how this plays out.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how MS is keeping retailers in line when US retailers gave Sony the middle finger. Not much you can do if retailers won't keep street date.
Wasn't there a thread about a rumor of Microsoft penalizing retailers if they broke date

edit didn't realize there 4 pages and it's probably already answered lol

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
Good for them to admit this.

What they should do for the remaining reorders is do them via a queue system on their site. This will get rid of the bots and most scalpers. Get them in the hands of the people who actually want one to play.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
It's 2020. You should be able to go to sony.com, microsoft.com and nintendo.com and directly pre-order/purchase a console at any time, even if they are out of stock.

It should be on the front page of each site. Add a disclaimer that your console will be fulfilled as units become available.

This "pre-orders are available for 5 minutes at a time at random retailers" garbage is ridiculous.

Purchasing directly from the manufacturers should always be an option. None of this "you must be CHOSEN to buy from US" nonsense.

SodaGrump

Aug 2, 2020
Glad they're being transparent and admitting they screwed up. This is something Sony needs to do more of, just being honest at times and leveling with the fans. Microsoft has been killing it this year in that regard.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
Why are people so irrationally enraged with the pre orders and the apology? Lmao Era bubble at its peak

Oct 25, 2017
It's 2020. You should be able to go to sony.com, microsoft.com and nintendo.com and directly pre-order/purchase a console at any time, even if they are out of stock.

It should be on the front page of each site. Add a disclaimer that your console will be fulfilled as units become available.

This "pre-orders are available for 5 minutes at a time at random retailers" garbage is ridiculous.

Purchasing directly from the manufacturers should always be an option. None of this "you must be CHOSEN to buy from US" nonsense.

I don't think it's so easy. You do know there is a fuck ton of logistics that goes on behind the scenes. You need warehouses to store the consoles. Multiple of them across the world. Hire people to load the trucks. Hire office people. Logistics coordinators. Just so many moving parts. And for what? A console launch?

It is unrealistic and not going to happen.

Realyst

Oct 27, 2017
This is the most brilliant move of a marketing campaign I've seen recently.

They've managed to increase demand during a pandemic and recession by using artificial scarcity (no way would they have said they planned to have 10M consoles ready for launch if actual yield was so much lower; they would've known this before leaking those numbers), staggered early preorder starts by online retailers (knowing that this channel would be the way most consumers would purchase the product because of Covid), and apologizing to angry and unlucky would-be consumers for not meeting initial demand and for allowing retailers to start preorders before the agreed to date. In the apology, they, with confidence, actually said that the plan to meet demand before the end of the year.

That they're doing this with a $499 console with only three exclusive games at launch (with one of them being a remake), at a time when most people are pinching pennies, and with little spent on marketing media...it is quite remarkable.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's so easy. You do know there is a fuck ton of logistics that goes on behind the scenes. You need warehouses to store the consoles. Multiple of them across the world. Hire people to load the trucks. Hire office people. Logistics coordinators. Just so many moving parts. And for what? A console launch?

It is unrealistic and not going to happen.

I mean the poster you quoted is essentially just describing how Apple does it. How can Apple manage but Sony and Microsoft can't?

Sony and Nvidia have both offered up absolutely garbage pre-order experiences this week for their products. Time to review how this is stuff is done.

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
I mean the poster you quoted is essentially just describing how Apple does it. How can Apple manage but Sony and Microsoft can't?

Sony and Nvidia have both offered up absolutely garbage pre-order experiences this week for their products. Time to review how this is stuff is done.

Well... I mean for a start there is a bit of a size difference. Not to mention the fact the consoles are sold at a loss unlike Apple with their ridiculous mark ups.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They are not sorry.

What they did is called Stampede marketing.

'Did you get a PS5?' is what people are literally saying on the street.

My brother, a non-gamer - called me to ask if I secured a pre-order.

They know what they are doing.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Going to be so funny when people still don't get preorders and find a way to blame it on Sony for not having 20 million at launch.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
It's funny. I don't see what would have changed if they had a set time the following day to release pre-orders. Wouldn't bots be set up to be ready to grab tons of them?

I'm not saying they're not incompetent but looking at the 3080 as well, I dunno.

I guess we'll see with the Xbox stuff.

LeMillion

Jun 9, 2020
Good on Sony for trying to make amends with people here. I don't think they would have cared as much if Microsoft hadn't been so organized with their pre-order date/time approach for Xbox Series S/X.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Literally everyone the night that shit happened

giphy-downsized.gif

SlickShoes

Oct 27, 2017
Its still super vague and its still the same problematic retailers in my country that won't communicate when things will go live, so they will throw them up at some random time and they will all be gone in a matter of seconds again.

My main issue was after the event they didn't communicate anything about when so I just assumed they aren't live yet and went to bed, by the time I woke up to go to work they were all gone.

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017
Its still super vague and its still the same problematic retailers in my country that won't communicate when things will go live, so they will throw them up at some random time and they will all be gone in a matter of seconds again.

My main issue was after the event they didn't communicate anything about when so I just assumed they aren't live yet and went to bed, by the time I woke up to go to work they were all gone.

They've worked out times with the retailers already, they just don't want to announce them just yet. I have to believe that because no company could be dumb enough to do the same thing twice.