• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
playstation_vita_screen_bg___playstation_portable_by_kurohiku_chi-d6ln8ne.png

-Specs-
Dimensions: 6.7"/170 mm wide x 2.9"/74 mm high x .9"/23 mm deep
Weight: .62 lbs/280 g (including battery)
CPU: PSP CPU (1-333 MHz)
Memory: 32 MB Main Memory - 4 MB embedded DRAM
Display: 4.3", 16:9 widescreen TFT LCD screen - 480 x 272 pixels - 16.77 million colors

-Format-
UMD (Universal Media Disc)

-Release dates-
Japan: December 12, 2004
North America: March 24, 2005
Europe: September 1, 2005

-Sales-

Worldwide: 80 million units (as of November 2013)

-Media-
PSP Reveal at Sony E3 2004 Press Conference (FULL): https://youtu.be/cg-Zanga13Y?t=2393
PSP 2000 Reveal at E3 2007: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vlcp4R58F_k
PSP GO Reveal at E3 2009: https://youtu.be/V4AgxXGCzV4

PSP Japan "Good Morning" Commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Chr46vCLCDY
PSP Madden 2009 Commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnwS2brMMiE
PSP Star Wars Commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFxbg52AgDg
PSP Pass It On Commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOjGtOMWZKg
PSP USA Plays PSP Commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSkt56xk-B8

-Emulation-
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ppsspp-ot-emulation-and-discussion-thread.5933/

-PSP-ERA's Essential PSP Games-
To Be Determined.
-----
I saw that we didn't have a community thread for us PSP lovers so I thought I'd put a quick one together, apologies for the minimalism. If anyone wants me to add anything specific to the OP just like me know. Feel free to talk about your favorite PSP games and memories, any PSP game you are playing at the moment, and anything you're looking forward to playing.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Hey there.

Do you think it is worth it to buy a brand new PSP from eBay? they are pretty expensive but I'm kinda scared about used consoles haha

OP
OP
BlackManLovesKUF
Oct 27, 2017
Hey there.

Do you think it is worth it to buy a brand new PSP from eBay? they are pretty expensive but I'm kinda scared about used consoles haha

I am actually the worst person to ask because I don't generally buy used consoles haha. Planning on picking up a new PSP myself to replace my current one but yeah in the last 18 months brand new PSPs shot up in price out of nowhere. If you're contemplating going used then do your research and make sure the seller has pictures; if I have to go used I pretty much stay exclusively with "like new" stuff if I can.

Oct 27, 2017
I am actually the worst person to ask because I don't generally buy used consoles haha. Planning on picking up a new PSP myself to replace my current one but yeah in the last 18 months brand new PSPs shot up in price out of nowhere. If you're contemplating going used then do your research and make sure the seller has pictures; if I have to go used I pretty much stay exclusively with "like new" stuff if I can.

The prices are insane, is the PSP region free? Might import one from Japan as well, they are about 210 USD.

OP
OP
BlackManLovesKUF
Oct 27, 2017
I saw a brand new PSP Go on a local toy store, but it was fucking $200 USD!

Not surprised, you probably won't find many models under $200 nowadays unless you come across a good deal at a local shop or on eBay. The best I saw about a year ago was a 3000 Model for $160 but someone had already bought it when I went back.

Oct 27, 2017
Not surprised, you probably won't find many models under $200 nowadays unless you come across a good deal at a local shop or on eBay. The best I saw about a year ago was a 3000 Model for $160 but someone had already bought it when I went back.

Honestly I was tempted, but since it is a Go model, I thought that it was better to just get another memory card for my PS Vita.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Yay PSP love thread. Besides still owning a PSP Go & PSP 2k (i've had these from when I bought them at launch), I actually own a PSP Devkit that I got for a fantastic price. I sadly wish I kept most of my PSP games. I've got a sizable collection but it's like 1/3 of what I use to have.

PSP is still the best system for Gundam games =D

I saw a brand new PSP Go on a local toy store, but it was fucking $200 USD!
While it seems crazy. I would have totally bought that. I still use my Go a majority of the time when I play PSP games (specially with the 16GB on board memory). If size of the system is an issue, the PSP Go is great for the fact it's the only one you can pair with a PS3 controller and then you can just dock it to play on your TV. Most places I see used systems the Go are always priced more then the others.

OP
OP
BlackManLovesKUF
Oct 27, 2017
Yay PSP love thread. Besides still owning a PSP Go & PSP 2k (i've had these from when I bought them at launch), I actually own a PSP Devkit that I got for a fantastic price. I sadly wish I kept most of my PSP games. I've got a sizable collection but it's like 1/3 of what I use to have.

PSP is still the best system for Gundam games =D

Awesome stuff fam, I got a PSP Dev Kit back in college about a decade ago when me and my roommate went to a flea market and I bought it spur of the moment.

Oct 31, 2017

There's no reason to be scared if you buy a used console as long as it's in great condition.

I'm rocking the Dissidia one and it's pretty much mint. Just find someone who takes care of its consoles :)

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
There's no reason to be scared if you buy a used console as long as it's in great condition.

I'm rocking the Dissidia one and it's pretty much mint. Just find someone who takes care of its consoles :)

I imagine it's harder to find a PSP in great condition than other portable hardware. The device's pretty fragile between moving parts, exposed large screen, glossy shell, etc, and nearly all systems out there will be a decade old at least.

On the other hand, though, I have four PSPs (1000, 2000, 3000, and Go) and I got all of them preowned. Except for the 2000, all of them were in great condition so it is possible.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
On the subject of used systems. The PSP are not that fragile but personally I would prefer to buy it in person then off ebay if you don't have very high res images of the unit. If I had to buy online I would more keep to japanese sellers or even buy from yahoo auctions instead (I tend to get better maintained systems from japan).

Awesome stuff fam, I got a PSP Dev Kit back in college about a decade ago when me and my roommate went to a flea market and I bought it spur of the moment.
Nice get.

Oh if you're looking for suggestions for the first post. I would add in all the models as many keep forgetting about the E1000 Europe got.

Oct 27, 2017
While it seems crazy. I would have totally bought that. I still use my Go a majority of the time when I play PSP games (specially with the 16GB on board memory). If size of the system is an issue, the PSP Go is great for the fact it's the only one you can pair with a PS3 controller and then you can just dock it to play on your TV. Most places I see used systems the Go are always priced more then the others.

Dang, I hope it survives while I save some money to buy it, I guess reading out loud eBay prices while looking at it wasn't a good idea lol

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
Does getting a Japanese PSP require some extra work in order to play western games? I was thinking of picking up one of the carnival color PSPs.

sony_psp_carnival_colors.jpg

Oct 29, 2017
Whoa, this thread is quiet.

Help me out, lads. I'm thinking of buying a PSP Go. Is it possible to CFW any firmware now or does it have to be under a certain version?

Ube

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Help me out, lads. I'm thinking of buying a PSP Go. Is it possible to CFW any firmware now or does it have to be under a certain version?

I bought a psp go a couple years ago and I was able to soft hack it. It doesn't automatically boot into CFW (I have to launch an app only after powering off/resets) but it's a minor inconvenience.

Swift00

Apr 5, 2018
I bought a psp go a couple years ago and I was able to soft hack it. It doesn't automatically boot into CFW (I have to launch an app only after powering off/resets) but it's a minor inconvenience.

You can use something called Infinity which essentially automates the boot into CFW. It's quite simple to install if you follow guides on YouTube.

I've recently started collecting for PSP and have somehow racked up almost 8 PSP's and have all generations. Can't wait to add some of the rarer games!

If you guys need help give me a shout!

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I should post here more. =/ A few weeks back I added Darkstalkers to my collection. I love that I can still pick up fantastic PSP games in great shape locally for practically nothing. Now is the time to buy this stuff up in case prices get out of hand in the future.

You can CFW all PSP units. Hell you can even skip CFW depending on what you wish to run since the PSP signing keys are out there (thanks to the ps3 being hacked) so some homebrew gets versions released that are already signed.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
I found my old psp 1000 but can't find any of my memory sticks. I've been to gamestop and a local retro game store and neither have anything for psp. Any advice?

FriedConsole

Oct 27, 2017
I found my old psp 1000 but can't find any of my memory sticks. I've been to gamestop and a local retro game store and neither have anything for psp. Any advice?

Get a 32GB micro with PSP adapter. Got it for $19 online recently and works great. You don't need it modded to use it.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Get a 32GB micro with PSP adapter. Got it for $19 online recently and works great. You don't need it modded to use it.
Microsd to pro duo adapter or memory card micro to pro duo adapter?
Funny thing is that I used to use a memory card micro for my phone and then transitioned it for psp once I found out I could do that

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
Microsd to pro duo adapter or memory card micro to pro duo adapter?
Funny thing is that I used to use a memory card micro for my phone and then transitioned it for psp once I found out I could do that

https://www.amazon.com/B074Z47X2S/ one of these, you can use it with 1 micro SD in if you wish, only thing about these are each one varies and it's a case of trial and error to see what it can read up to like for example mine said it could only read up to 16gb but i have a 64gb in it

only thing to look out for is some games can only save on up to 512mb memory sticks otherwise they'll refuse to see the memory card (despite the psp reading them from the memory card) and i think off the top of my head some of these games are crazy taxi, lego star wars and one of the many releases of SF2

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Recently picked up and finished two games I'd had languishing on my Vita for... well, years at this point: Daxter and Ghost of Sparta.

They kinda made me wish I'd had a PSP back in the day so I could've experienced them then. They both play fantastically well, and visually they're often quite shocking in both scope and quality, especially God of War. This stuff really must've blown minds back in the mid 2000s.

OP
OP
BlackManLovesKUF
Oct 27, 2017
Recently picked up and finished two games I'd had languishing on my Vita for... well, years at this point: Daxter and Ghost of Sparta.

They kinda made me wish I'd had a PSP back in the day so I could've experienced them then. They both play fantastically well, and visually they're often quite shocking in both scope and quality, especially God of War. This stuff really must've blown minds back in the mid 2000s.

Definitely did for me, Ready at Dawn did a killer job on the God of War PSP games and I didn't expect to enjoy Daxter as much as I did. A lot of developers did a lot with the hardware. The one that got me was Grand Theft Auto; while not a technical marvel it was just for the novelty of playing a full GTA game on a portable.

Jan 11, 2018
Does anyone here happen to have a European copy of Wild ARMs XF in their collection? I'm trying to figure out if it's got dual audio, or if that's only available in the US edition (as was the case with Riviera: The Promised Land)?

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, bumping this old thread.

What are people doing for PSP batteries? I have a few PSPs and they all work great except the battery packs all bulged and were discarded. I don't have the final revision, so maybe it fared better.. but I think my "Go" is the only one that I have working.

Of course I can plug them in, but that defeats the purpose. Meanwhile I have a ton of UMD's.

OP
OP
BlackManLovesKUF
Oct 27, 2017
Hey, bumping this old thread.

What are people doing for PSP batteries? I have a few PSPs and they all work great except the battery packs all bulged and were discarded. I don't have the final revision, so maybe it fared better.. but I think my "Go" is the only one that I have working.

Of course I can plug them in, but that defeats the purpose. Meanwhile I have a ton of UMD's.

I buy all of my batteries either from my local game store or Ebay. They usually run pretty cheap (about 7-10 bucks) I should note that it's for the 3000 model though.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I buy all of my batteries either from my local game store or Ebay. They usually run pretty cheap (about 7-10 bucks) I should note that it's for the 3000 model though.

I was bummed because I had purchased official Sony batteries that were extended capacity and they all turned into balloons.

Are the batteries you get OEM or aftermarket? I may have to track down a 3000.

OP
OP
BlackManLovesKUF
Oct 27, 2017
I was bummed because I had purchased official Sony batteries that were extended capacity and they all turned into balloons.

Are the batteries you get OEM or aftermarket? I may have to track down a 3000.

Yeah that can be rough. I've got a mix of both but I am currently using OEM, I've been very fortunate as I've haven't had too much trouble with duds or having to change batteries often.

Borman

Digital Games Curator at The Strong Museum
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Ive been digging into the early history of Silent Hill: Origins again, found some cutscenes from the cancelled version (RE4-style).

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I recently got one and turns out it's running on firmware 5.50 Gen-D3 and I have God Of War Ghost of Spartan physically, but it requires a firmware update to V6.31. Can I safely update to the firmware, or do I need to go update the system in a different way?

OP
OP
BlackManLovesKUF
Oct 27, 2017
I recently got one and turns out it's running on firmware 5.50 Gen-D3 and I have God Of War Ghost of Spartan physically, but it requires a firmware update to V6.31. Can I safely update to the firmware, or do I need to go update the system in a different way?

You shouldn't have any issues updating the firmware the regular way to my knowledge.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
So just update through the disc and all is well? The isos I've made should still work afterwards?
i think it'll wipe the cfw off your psp but you can put a new one on that's signed, i think it's pro-c 6.60, i'm not entirely sure if it's possible to make it permanent but i have to run something everytime i turn my psp on when the system has been off but not in sleep mode

OP
OP
BlackManLovesKUF
Oct 27, 2017
-shadow- Apologies I read wrong I thought you were referring to regular firmware, yeah you should back up your isos as it'll likely wipe them as Oldmario said. I don't do console hacks so I spoke out of hand.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the responses, but I guess I'll stay on the current firmware and will go about it when I've finished Xenogears just in case. Shouldn't take crazy long... I hope.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
If anyone's still monitoring this thread, does anyone have any good tips on where to get halfway decent batteries for PSPs? I've come into a PSP-1002, but as expected it seems like the battery is toast.

Obviously there's a million no-brand batteries on ebay/amazon for cheap, but I wondered if there might be some top-secret enthusiast options.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
If anyone's still monitoring this thread, does anyone have any good tips on where to get halfway decent batteries for PSPs? I've come into a PSP-1002, but as expected it seems like the battery is toast.

Obviously there's a million no-brand batteries on ebay/amazon for cheap, but I wondered if there might be some top-secret enthusiast options.

other than suggesting looking on youtube for comparison videos, i know there was one that swore by one ebay seller that did good batteries but that was a couple years ago

your only other real option is buying a dead psp (faulty/screenbroke/cracked ect....) for cheap and hoping the battery isn't shot

Sagadego17

Banned
Oct 25, 2017