• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Holy crap.
This is great but I also want an option to buy even more space.

The 10 GB is not nearly enough for my saves, but we'll see if I can fit it in 100 gb

I was going to make a suggestion for them to offer at least add 10 more GB for like 5 bucks like Apple but 100 GB is more than enough and we are already paying extra money for quite some time for PS Plus so we deserve this.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
I was going to make a suggestion for them to offer at least add 10 more GB for like 5 bucks like Apple but 100 GB is more than enough and we are already paying extra money for quite some time for PS Plus so we deserve this.

Yeah, I'm not complaining! :)
I just always though it was odd that one could not upgrade it in the past.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
Why would they make cloud saves free for everyone, when people are willing to pay? Not sound business sense
But are you willing to pay for only that? In my family I pay for all of the subscriptions (Xbox Live, PS+ and eventually Nintendo Family sub) so that my kids and I can all play online with our own profiles. But, on Xbox they all have cloud storage and can easily move between the different Xboxes and their profiles automatically are synced between them. On PS4 though, they can't do that at all and their profiles aren't backed up unless I manually do so.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why do they even limit it? It's not that you can put any data in it, it's save files that get stored there for games you paid for and not only that, you have to even have PS+, right? Users should not have to care about it at all.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Btw, by Februray they mean the storage will be increased in less than 48 hours and not when the free PS Plus games get added next week, right?

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
10gb is quite easy to hit. 109gb would be hard.

Anyway great news and a good month of games. Hitman and for honour.

Mgs4 giving the goodbye salute to the ps3.

From where are you getting that we will get 100 GB on top of the already existing 10 GB instead of replacing or expanding 10 GB to 100GB? We won't have 110 GB bro. That would be extra generous.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Better make it infinite first, then may be we cna talk about free later.

Steam cloud storage is infinite right? I don't recall tem warning about game storage limits, pictures have limits though.
Yes, for all practical purposes. Developers set a per-game limit on cloud save storage, but there's no per-user limit (and it can already be significantly more than 100GB if you have a large library of games). And it's free ;)

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
This has been needed for a while. I'm one of those with so many games I need to delete stuff every few months for the past couple of years.

Great news.

prodyg

Oct 28, 2017
its times like these i appreciate MS for giving ppl unlimited cloud storage for save files.

Anyway this is great, i can start moving some more of my saves into the cloud

Styrman

Nov 7, 2017
Finally! I've been deleting a lot of old saves to enable new ones this last couple of months.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Question about saves,

When you backup your saves, does the system copy the whole file everytime to the cloud? Or only the modified part of it (i am talking about 1 save file)?

For example: the save file of FFXV is almost 600mb, it takes almost 30.seconds to upload it, which is the same needed for 8 mb files (my internet is super slow).

Apr 25, 2018
Rockwall, Texas
There's no limit on XBL for Xbox One games. If there is one for Switch, I'm not aware of it.

More importantly on Xbox everyone gets unlimited. It's not just for paying Live customers. Plus your profile is always synced and up to date so you can move between systems easily. It really is super convenient and should be the standard going forward next gen.

Why would they make cloud saves free for everyone, when people are willing to pay? Not sound business sense

MS does it so why can't Sony? It's such a basic part of the experience it just seems like nickle and dimming at this point. I know MS has a cloud presence Sony can't match but Sony could easily partner with Amazon and give us something similar.

weblaus

Oct 27, 2017
its times like these i appreciate MS for giving ppl unlimited cloud storage for save files.

While true, it would a times be really helpful to actually be able to manage cloud saves - no idea why they offer that, but then again, there's so much other stuff in the Xbox UI that drives me crazy...

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I'm glad they increased it but I wish they'd let us use the cloud storage to autoupload Screenshots. The only way to get the original quality pngs out of the PS4 is via USB, and the (ludicrous in my opinion) alternative is to use Facebook / Twitter to upload highly compressed jpgs.

On Xbox, you don't even need Gold to auto-upload captures to either Xbox.com or OneDrive. It's quick, seamless and painless.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There is no limit for Xbox One games, and you don't need Xbox Live Gold to get cloud saves. It just happens by default, automatically, for everyone, regardless of what you own or otherwise pay for.
I don't think how this cannot be done also for PlayStation. I mean, sure, it costs money and people are willing to pay for plus but still...

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is no limit for Xbox One games, and you don't need Xbox Live Gold to get cloud saves. It just happens by default, automatically, for everyone, regardless of what you own or otherwise pay for.
More importantly on Xbox everyone gets unlimited. It's not just for paying Live customers. Plus your profile is always synced and up to date so you can move between systems easily. It really is super convenient and should be the standard going forward next gen.

MS does it so why can't Sony? It's such a basic part of the experience it just seems like nickle and dimming at this point. I know MS has a cloud presence Sony can't match but Sony could easily partner with Amazon and give us something similar.

Thanks folks! That's definitely an important distinction that I forgot to make.

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
great news!

i had a mini heart attack last nght when i uploaded my KH3 save game and was shocked to see it is 671MB!!!!! WTH Square

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
It's pretty easy if you play lots of games, especially racing, bethesda RPGs, and sports games that have huge file sizes.

For the early parts of the PS4's life, saves were at least 10 MB each until future development brought it down to about 3 MB or so and that was for a 1 GB cloud storage space. Lots of games go well over that.

Just checking right now, here are some example sizes:

Kingdom Hearts III - 671 MB
Rocket League - 105 MB
Taiko no Tatsujin - 44 MB
Switchblade - 197 MB
NBA Live 19 - 94 MB
Spider-Man - 98 MB
Tetris Effect - 98 MB
Hitman 2 - 85 MB
Fallout 4 - 246 MB
Detroit: Become Human - 237 MB
NBA 2K18: The Prelude - 118 MB
Trackmania Turbo - 197 MB
NBA 2K16 - 352 MB
Horizon Zero Dawn - 119 MB
Portal Knights - 269 MB
Puzzle Showdown - 197 MB
Everybody's Golf - 134 MB
Minecraft - 256 MB
Grand Turismo Sport Beta - 249 MB
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Complete Edition - 111 MB
LittleBigPlanet 3 - 584 MB
Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition - 115 MB
Nex Machina Beta - 140 MB
Tearaway Unfolded - 315 MB
Mass Effect: Andromeda - 105 MB
Final Fantasy XV - 629 MB
Driveclub - 325 MB
Gravity Rush 2 - 672 MB
Deux Ex: Mankind Divided - 115 MB
Steep Beta - 101 MB
Driveclub VR - 325 MB
Bound - 111 MB
Disney Infinity 3.0 - 325 MB
Nom Nom Galaxy - 126 MB

Looking at my storage listings, I have 16.68 GB of total saves on my PS4, so I'll have more than enough room with this update.

Are these measurements for individual save file?

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I could never hope to understand why such a huge jump in save file size, PS3 games rarely went over 10MB, if memory serves me right.

OP
OP
Captain of Outer Space

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
I prefer cloud storage as a backup method, not the only storage space so that if a save breaks/corrupts for whatever reason, I can recover from it rather easily and not have the broken save uploaded instantly. I've had that happen on Steam and it's not the way I want saves to be handled.

is this ps4 only can use the 100 gigabytes for ps3 and vita saves as well?
I doubt it, but I also don't think it's as easy to hit 10 GB on either of those platforms as it is on PS4.