• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
It's crossed my mind and i am worried about MS being an ass about it, but it's not why I haven't jumped in. The games length isn't enough to warrant a full price purchase from me. So I am waiting for a price drop or a sale.

BreakerofChains

Alt-Account
Banned
Oct 24, 2019
Get a cheap PC and play it on low to medium settings. You'll be getting the console experience and everything.
Low settings? Yeah no, you'd be getting worse then console experience on low, and even a mid-range PC will cost more than a console, and folks simply don't want to game on desktop PC's. It's as simple as that. Was a long time PC gamer but got sick of it tbh.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
Someone wouldn't play what by all accounts is a pretty good game because there's a chance the sequel will be console exclusive? Weird.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Not playing a game, that you were interested based on the fact that it *might* be console exclusive or even an Outer Worlds 2 in the future just rings hollow for me TBH.

Unless it is marketed as a part one and the second part is going to be a console exclusive, I could see that. But everything I've read is this is a self-contained game.

Evan8192

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
Low settings? Yeah no, you'd be getting worse then console experience on low, and even a mid-range PC will cost more than a console, and folks simply don't want to game on desktop PC's. It's as simple as that. Was a long time PC gamer but got sick of it tbh.

I paid $2500 for a gaming PC in the same year as PS4 released (2013) containing a gfx card that was $1000 at the time (gtx 690), and I can barely run Outer Worlds on medium settings :(

I know it's considered pretty amateur to not upgrade my PC over about 6 years, but still...PCs just age quicker than consoles imo.

I'll probably shell out $2000 for another PC soon though, and go through it all again lol.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, my PS4 literally refuses to even play the game and calls me a traitor.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I bought a game I wanted to play on the platform I wanted to play it on. No other concerns were in my mind while buying it or while playing it. Weird question is weird.

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
Again some people have money or/and time for only one platform. They will take the platform with the majority of games they want to play. Maybe Outer Worlds is not enough for them to change and Microsoft talk about sequels they can't play because they have other gaming priorities. And they miss a game because they can't afford to have two platforms in the future and if Outer Worlds is more important for them than the PS exclusives they will change of ecosystem.

And this is from someone not interested by Outer Worlds but I was intrigued by the thread.
Are the same people who bought PS4 just for Bloodborne skipping The Outer Worlds for future exclusivity?

People who wait 16 months for a must-have exclusive to jump into next gen are different from those enthusiasts who are there from day one, and from those who buy several or all platforms. For some, Bloodborne was the point they could justify the entry price, but I'd wager it wasn't the sole reason for most; the library of games available, and the upcoming exclusives most likely counted as well. For example, I bought PS2 at launch to play SSX, but Shadow of Memories, Silent Hill 2, Soul Reaver 2, and Final Fantasy X that were in the horizon also factored into the decision. If you aren't interested in anything else but Bloodborne or The Outer Worlds sequel(s), it's hardly worth the entry price from my point of view.

Personally speaking, The Outer Worlds just doesn't appeal to me, as it's open world, first person, and a shooter, eventhough I'm a big fan of Sci-Fi and the Mass Effect trilogy. Regarding the latter, the first entry to the series wasn't enough for me to buy a 360, instead I jumped into the series when the sequels came to PS3, and played the first later on when it came there as well. It didn't really bother me that much to miss the first, as I could catch up on the story online.

One gaming system has almost always been enough for me (with the exception being 2003-2006, when I ventured to the PC side), as I play about ten games per year at most. I don't have time or interest for more. Does that disqualify me of being an enthusiast, eventhough I tend to jump into next gen at launch, and spend most of my spare time on gaming? I just don't play that many games. During the past couple of years I've played even less games, as most of my gaming time has been spent on Let It Die (which was released on PC last year as well), eventhough I generally don't fancy GAAS/FTP titles. Its unique and Souls-like style just appeals to me more than most of the current games available, especially as everything is open world these days.

Neither of these address the point I made. I already said that some people simply can't maybe because they can't afford it or something restricting like that and that is a valid reason. I was talking specifically about people who have interest in this game (or any game for that matter) but refuse to buy it simply because of the sequel not being on a platform they like. It's pathetic reasoning. Should I have not bought Bayo on PC because the 2nd and 3rd games are exclusive to Nintendo platforms? Hell no I was interested so I downloaded it. That's what enthusiasts do. Only fanboys wouldn't buy it for retarded reasons like that. I bought my PS4 for a game I was interested in (and friends), same for my Switch for Astral Chain at launch, same for my OG 360 because of that Gears 2 and Halo 3 hype, same for my PS3 for FIFA (though I sold that one shortly after but received a slim for free off a friend a few years later). I consider myself an enthusiast, I love games, I love PC gaming especially and all the fancy tech you can like have like 144hz monitors and all that. I would definitely jump onto a system for literally 1 game if it really really interests me and I would think most other enthusiasts would agree because we love this hobby. Restricting yourself simply because of brand loyalty is retarded and that's what I'm saying. I don't particularly like Sony for some things they've done to the industry however I can put that aside if I want to enjoy the games. It's not Insomniacs fault for why I have feelings like that towards Sony and their game was a good game (Spiderman) and everyone agrees good games deserve sales.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Would be silly decision and I think it's some sort of tribal loyalty leading people to reject a game they want to play rather than any legit reason of substance. OW is a self contained story. In addition, you could play it on your PC or stream the sequel for whatever monthly Game Pass promo Microsoft runs in the future. By the time the sequel rolls around, latency for online gaming will be lower. Regardless, it's not a latency sensitive game. If it's just a refusal to buy any Microsoft product even when they're essentially giving that shit away to you on devices you already own....well that's just silly.

X-Peaceman-X

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I paid $2500 for a gaming PC in the same year as PS4 released (2013) containing a gfx card that was $1000 at the time (gtx 690), and I can barely run Outer Worlds on medium settings :(

I know it's considered pretty amateur to not upgrade my PC over about 6 years, but still...PCs just age quicker than consoles imo.

I'll probably shell out $2000 for another PC soon though, and go through it all again lol.
ehh not really, You could easily grab a new gfx that will run it on high for about 250 to 300 as long as your cpu is still up to it.
I think were more likely to upgrade our PCs cause the way the market is and the standards we hold on PC (60fps MIN , ect)
Consoles run TOW at 30fps right? And Base Ps4 if that what were comparing is 1080p on the high end so im sure your pc will manage that but 30fps isnt really acceptable on any decent monitor itll look just gross lol.

Point is i think PCs age about the same but we ask more from it and theres more options so we end up upgrading more often. But youd be suprised what could run a game at 1080p 30 fps. Also heavily depends on the game

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Not playing a game, that you were interested based on the fact that it *might* be console exclusive or even an Outer Worlds 2 in the future just rings hollow for me TBH.

Unless it is marketed as a part one and the second part is going to be a console exclusive, I could see that. But everything I've read is this is a self-contained game.
Ya this is so weird to be honest

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Neither of these address the point I made. I already said that some people simply can't maybe because they can't afford it or something restricting like that and that is a valid reason. I was talking specifically about people who have interest in this game (or any game for that matter) but refuse to buy it simply because of the sequel not being on a platform they like. It's pathetic reasoning. Should I have not bought Bayo on PC because the 2nd and 3rd games are exclusive to Nintendo platforms? Hell no I was interested so I downloaded it. That's what enthusiasts do. Only fanboys wouldn't buy it for retarded reasons like that. I bought my PS4 for a game I was interested in (and friends), same for my Switch for Astral Chain at launch, same for my OG 360 because of that Gears 2 and Halo 3 hype, same for my PS3 for FIFA (though I sold that one shortly after but received a slim for free off a friend a few years later). I consider myself an enthusiast, I love games, I love PC gaming especially and all the fancy tech you can like have like 144hz monitors and all that. I would definitely jump onto a system for literally 1 game if it really really interests me and I would think most other enthusiasts would agree because we love this hobby. Restricting yourself simply because of brand loyalty is retarded and that's what I'm saying. I don't particularly like Sony for some things they've done to the industry however I can put that aside if I want to enjoy the games. It's not Insomniacs fault for why I have feelings like that towards Sony and their game was a good game (Spiderman) and everyone agrees good games deserve sales.

Again I could have buy an xbox One for one game Sunset Overdrive. I did not buy it, because this is a bad investment on my side. I will never buy a machine for one game. If someone does not want to invest his time inside a game with sequels already announced to not release on his platform because he is only gaming on one platform this is understandable. And Outer worlds is an RPG where the story is important. Knowing he/she prefers the exclusive game on the platform he/she plays and the are more important than Outer worlds I can understand to not invest your time in a franchise you will never play again. And this is the same for all platform. For example people liking Halo and other Xbox franchises and Sunset Overdrive are now deprieved of a Sunset Overdrive sequel or Occulus player will never see the next part of Stormland. I can understand if someone knowing Insomniac will be buy by Sony they wouldn't play the game because they can only afford one system. At least it seems Sunset Overdrive will not have sequels at all.

EDIT: Another things this is not like he/she can't play another games.

Last edited:

Schopenhauer

Oct 27, 2017
Nope, not really worried about it.

Considering how much I am enjoying playing Outer Worlds, I will definitely figure something out if they release a sequel. Honestly think it is weird that people would worry this much about something that may never happen or if it does will happen years from now.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
I haven't played the game yet but does it feel like it's only 1/2 of a complete narrative or is it a standalone experience?

if it feels like a standalone game and not just one slice of a larger narrative I don't see the trouble of getting invested into the game as a PS4 player.

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
I'm an Xbox only gamer, and I find some of these responses pretty interesting. I don't know how I would feel if the situation was reversed.

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
Again I could have buy an xbox One for one game Sunset Overdrive. I did not buy it, because this is a bad investment on my side. I will never buy a machine for one game. If someone does not want to invest his time inside a game with sequels already announced to not release on his platform because he is only gaming on one platform this is understandable. And Outer worlds is an RPG where the story is important. Knowing he/she prefers the exclusive game on he platform he plays and the are more important than Outer worlds I can understand to not invest your time in a franchise you will never play again. And this is the same for all platform. For example people liking Halo and other Xbox franchises and Sunset Overdrive are now deprieved of a Sunset Overdrive sequel or Occulus player will never see the next part of Stormland. I can understand if someone knowing Insomniac will be buy by Sony they wouldn't play the game because they can only afford one system. At least it seems Sunset Overdrive will not have sequels at all.

EDIT: Another things this is not like he/she can't play another games.
Again that's silly logic if you consider yourself an enthusiast and don't have any other restrictions. Do you consider yourself a gaming enthusiast? Y/N.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
You dont think a 30 to 40 hour game with multiple pathways through is worth Full price?
No. I need roughly 75-100hrs out of a game in order to justify me spending $60. Everything else I just Gamefly or buy on sale.

And I'm not saying Outer World's isnt worth the money for everyone else. By everything I have seen and heard it's a fantastic game. It's just not a full price game for me personally.

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played the game yet but does it feel like it's only 1/2 of a complete narrative or is it a standalone experience?

if it feels like a standalone game and not just one slice of a larger narrative I don't see the trouble of getting invested into the game as a PS4 player.

This is how I would feel. Is it the start of a new franchise of games without feeling like it gives a conclusion to the story it starts or is it a singular experience with sequel potential?

Oct 29, 2017
Again the problem with all this discussion about whether people can afford PCs or whether it makes sense to buy a console for one game is that we are talking about a hypothetical, unannounced project, which will be released for a console generation that hasn't even started yet, if it happens at all.

And if an Outer Worlds sequel seems like a sure thing, imagine going back in time and telling your 2013 self that Elder Scrolls and Grand Theft Auto are going to be skipping an entire console generation.

There is no Outer Worlds franchise (yet). There is a game that exists right now, and that game is multiplatform.

X-Peaceman-X

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
No. I need roughly 75-100hrs out of a game in order to justify me spending $60. Everything else I just Gamefly or buy on sale.

And I'm not saying Outer World's isnt worth the money for everyone else. By everything I have seen and heard it's a fantastic game. It's just not a full price game for me personally.
I mean i can respect that. But that means you miss out on some really good games, at least on launch where all the talk and hype is.

Also is gamefly still a thing? Holy crap i need to check this out if so.

FatalT

Feb 24, 2019
I don't know if you'd include me or not because I have a PS4 as well as a Gaming PC and have actually been playing Outer Worlds on the PC with Game Pass but no, I'm not upset or worried. I'll just play the potential sequels on PC.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
If I was a Playstation only gamer, I would still buy it. XCloud is a thing that is coming so i would just sub to that and wait for the sequel. The combat doesnt really require me to think a little latency is going to be a huge compared to a game like Apex.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
honest reaction to the question asked:

wefqefewqrfqewfwer.gif

why the fuck should i care about a "potential sequel" which may also never come? the game never even hints at a sequel and is a complete game.

It's always the present OP, always.

also, this

thirtypercent

Oct 18, 2018
That'd be weird and a sign of taking this stuff too personal, we're not talking about something completely open ended or even planned as a series like Mass Effect.

The 690 is a dual-chip card which have always had horrendously bad price/performance ratios and you had to count on games supporting SLI. Something almost no games do anymore and I doubt Outer Worlds does so your card runs literally at half speed. I'd say that that was more a questionable investment than evidence of PC hardware ageing faster.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I do like to keep all my games ordered by system and library, and there is something to be said about a "Outer Worlds" series that would all be part of, say, my Xbox shelf.

But that's really it. It's actually really funny to see my adventures through many great series on entirely different systems.

If it's good, it's good, no matter the platform it's on. So long as it doesn't have a save transfer like Mass Effort or something, it shouldn't matter.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Again that's silly logic if you consider yourself an enthusiast and don't have any other restrictions. Do you consider yourself a gaming enthusiast? Y/N.

Yes, I consider myself as enthusiastic because I played as many games as I can compare to my time constraint. But I have other hobbies in life than gaming and a family too. Spend 300 or 400 dollars in a console for one game is not interesting in my case. There are tons of games, I have a backlog. I can find another game to play on Playstation or other ecosystem if I change in the future.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
I have no qualms with picking up The Outer Worlds on PS4 at some point in the foreseeable future since I go for those types of games, but if I end up really liking it then I'm pretty much screwed when it comes to a potential sequel. It's far more likely that I'd buy a next-gen Xbox than ever invest in a gaming PC, but I'd rather do neither. It's much easier on the wallet that way. It's not like the PS5 is going to be chump change.

Varth

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
I think The Outer Worlds is really damn great.

However, one sentiment I have seen expressed on this forum every now and again has been that some PlayStation owners are finding it hard to invest themselves in or properly enjoy this game, because they know that any future titles in the series will be exclusive to Xbox.

In an ideal world, that would not be a problem, since your fandom would be for games, not systems (i.e., you would get the system necessary to play the game you want), however, for a variety of reasons (some rational, others less so), we do not live in an ideal world, and I guess we live instead in one where PlayStation players are sometimes finding it hard to really take to this game as a result of potential sequel exclusivity.

I wanted to ask you - are you among those who feel this way? If possible, would you be willing to expound on your thoughts further?

Really? First time hearing that. What kind of deal is this?

Oct 25, 2017
I've been wanting to get it but I haven't yet. One of the reasons is that I'm worried it's not going to be self contained enough and that it'll end on an open enough note that the sequel will be continuing the same story.

Last edited:

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
I do not mind and if the game is really good i may get the platform in which the sequels are going to release.

I swear, this thread is giving me Phantom Thief Stress Disorder

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Does Outer Worlds end on a cliff-hanger or something?
Is it an incomplete game on it's own?

Because unless the answer to those questions is a definite "yes", I don't see what the hell a far off sequel on a different console has to do with my enjoyment of the game now. Kind of a dumb question.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

Heck yeah! I go where the games go! Well, more like where the developer's go. If I have the budget to get all available platforms, I'll certainly do it. If I don't, then I'll go for the platforms that have the most games I want to play on them. Between PlayStation, Switch, and my gaming PC before it died, I was covered. I'll eventually rebuild my gaming PC, but I've been in no hurry these days.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
So for those of who won't buy the game on the PS4 due to the potential that a sequel will be a Xbox, PC, phone and toaster exclusive...do you only buy games if you're confident they will produce a sequel?

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland

Such a loaded language. Isn't the use of the underlined word actually against the TOS?

You know what's silly? That kind of black and white logic. Skipping a singular title for whatever reason doesn't disqualify anyone from being an enthusiast.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
A thread like this only spurs console war attitudes. I don't think this should be discussed on here, quite honestly. It's a stupid thought to have anyways.

MS should be applauded for sticking to previous commitments, also in the case of Psychonauts 2 or The Bard's Tale IV. They could have killed some of the remaining releases, not all of them. XGS has been very clear in their messaging what will happen now vs. what will happen in the future.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
A thread like this only spurs console war attitudes. I don't think this should be discussed on here, quite honestly. It's a stupid thought to have anyways.

MS should be applauded for sticking to previous commitments, also in the case of Psychonauts 2 or The Bard's Tale IV. They could have killed some of the remaining releases, not all of them. XGS has been very clear in their messaging what will happen now vs. what will happen in the future.
Your answer to a legitimate and interesting question is to shut down the conversation? Seems pretty dense.

As for the question itself, no I do not have a problem picking up the game even if a sequel is exclusive. I have yet to play the game but that's because I'm playing Medievil and MW right now. I'm still very excited to try.

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
Such a loaded language. Isn't the use of the underlined word actually against the TOS?

You know what's silly? That kind of black and white logic. Skipping a singular title for whatever reason doesn't disqualify anyone from being an enthusiast.
Skipping something because the sequel might not come to your beloved platform does. How can anyone call themselves a gaming enthusiast if they actively miss out on games because of what is basically brand loyalty (and assuming they have the time and money for it).