• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Not really. I'll play it at some point regardless. Plus who even owns the IP? because it usually goes to the publisher and in that case it not MS. meaning we might still get a sequel on PlayStation...just not made by Obsidian? Which depending who they choose could be a good or bad thing. Either way though it's not really a factor.

Tbh the thing keeping me away is death stranding coming out sovsoon and the outer world's unappealing art style.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
So you were interested in the game and were going to get it, but the thought of a hypothetical sequel to this completely self-contained game, that's probably 3-4 years away, if it does in fact ever happen, potentially being an Xbox exclusive (in a console landscape likely to be completely different than today's) is what changed your mind.

That about sum it up?

I didn't even believe someone could have this thought process, but, yeah, wow.

Oct 26, 2018
Not really. I'll play it at some point regardless. Plus who even owns the IP? because it usually goes to the publisher and in that case it not MS. meaning we might still get a sequel on PlayStation...just not made by Obsidian? Which depending who they choose could be a good or bad thing. Either way though it's not really a factor.

Tbh the thing keeping me away is death stranding coming out sovsoon and the outer world's unappealing art style.
Not true, private division funds the project but lets the studio keep the ip. so since the ip is owned by obsidian, and obsidian is now owned by Microsoft , Ms owns the outer worlds

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I haven't bought it mainly for that reason.

I hate it when you play and enjoy a game and the next one come see out on a completely different platform, e.g. Valkyrie Chronicles. I won't support that.

Gloomz

Oct 27, 2017
I mean they won't be though.

Also, this is a silly reason to not play a game like this. It's not like the main draw of the game is the story like The Last of Us or something.

Pretty much, like - the fuck? Even if (it won't happen) - why would that stop you from enjoying an amazing game that's out... now?

smfh

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fact I'll probably never play a sequel (I game on PS systems) and the fact it's like ÂŁ45 on PS and part of game pass on Xbox so in my mind is horrible value on PS has kinda soured me on the game, I'll admit.

I haven't bought it and probably won't unless I see it ÂŁ10-15. Supporting the dev with a full priced buy in this case doesn't benefit me.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
The fact I'll probably never play a sequel (I game on PS systems) and the fact it's like ÂŁ45 on PS and part of game pass on Xbox so in my mind is horrible value on PS has kinda soured me on the game, I'll admit.

I haven't bought it and probably won't unless I see it ÂŁ10-15. Supporting the dev with a full priced buy in this case doesn't benefit me.
You know that by the time the sequel comes out you'll probably be able to stream it to your phone for like $5-$10 right?

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Honesty don't understand the hate. Like, you can sub to xcloud for like 5-10 a month and play it then. Or on pc. Heck, Microsoft has even said that they'll consider releasing to all platforms where it makes sense. So they may even release on switch or PS5. Microsoft just cares about getting paid

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Microsoft owns the IP.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
I said I'll buy it when cheap already...
You said you'd probably never play a sequel. Yet out of the three major platform holders Microsoft is probably the most open. Outer Worlds 2 could be anywhere from 3 to 5 years until release, if not even farther away. By that time you'll no doubt be able to find a cheap way to play the game if you want to. Through XCloud and Gamepass you'll probably be able to play it on almost any device for like $10 the day it releases.

Which is why posts like yours just come off as fanboyish.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
I was happy to get TOW, as I'd thought I'd enjoy Obsidian's last swansong on a Playstation console.

I don't know if I'll be getting an Xbox next-gen, but now that Microsoft owns Obsidian, Double Fine, and Ninja Theory, it'll definitely be tempting.

Oct 1, 2019
I don't see myself buying an Xbox in the near future so yeah, the possibility of a sequel coming exclusively to Xbox definitely affected my hype for this game.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Someday, a game might get a sequel I might not get to play. Sounds like literally every third party title in existence. But sure, pretend that's why.

Last edited:

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
A sequel is what? 3 years from now?

Many things can happen in 3 years, both good and bad.

Enjoy the moment rather than worry about something so far off.

Oct 27, 2017
If New Vegas was exclusive would you not play Fallout 3?

Seems like a dumb reason for a game like this. If it was like Mass Effect (which did the opposite) then sure but nothing I've seen of this game suggests it's going to directly lead into a sequel.

Dec 21, 2017
Nah. I was hyped for the game because Obsidian, and the purchase happened at what, E3?

I might be a bit salty that i'll have to pick up the NextBox for Outer Worlds 2, but hopefully they'll have more in between now and then. Plus, i wouldn't mind buying an NextBox Pro if they do better than the Xbone.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
It is like asking will you sleep with that guy if you know it is just a one time thing? I dont play outer world, but lets say if the game were good, i would still play it despite knowing that i would not experience the second game

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
Because of the possibility, that a sequel we may get, may be exclusive and may be directly connected to its prequel?

Nah, that would be idiotic.

Oct 30, 2017
Ottawa
Wouldn't it be smarter to buy the platform that has game(s) you like? Rather than decide to not buy that platform out of some sense of principle, and also deny yourself game(s) you would otherwise greatly enjoy?

I like that your premise here is that people who don't own an Xbox are fanboys of another brand rather than, y'know, people who bought the systems that have the games they like. I own a PS4 and a switch, I already bought the systems that have the games that I like.

Granted, I'm aware that there are people like that out there, but it just rubs me up the wrong way to read posts like yours.

A third console is a very hard sell. I've really enjoyed Sony and Nintendo's exclusives this gen and previous gens, and I could afford to buy an Xbox one, but haven't done so because other than sunset overdrive, nothing has impressed me enough to the point where I've considered buying the console. And I won't at this point, because I find it pointless to buy a console at this stage while the next gen systems are around the corner.

So so far, nextbox has outer worlds sequels going for it. That's a start. A good one, but still just a start. I'm not buying a system for one or two games. If an appropriate number of games that interest me release, I'll then start to seriously consider buying a nextbox/pc.

I bought the outer worlds for PS4 and I'm really enjoying it. Any potential sequels are on my radar, but like I already said, probably won't be enough to make me buy a new system on their own.

Flygon

Oct 28, 2017
Honest question, would any prospective sequel have ANY kind of "Old Savegame Bonus"?

If not, why worry about the exclusivity?

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Bizarre. Saying you aren't going to play it because there might or might not be a sequel exclusive to Xbox and Windows is admitting you aren't going to purchase a Xbox system even when there is a game you want to play on it. We know next to nothing about next gen and people are already out on MS lol.

Oct 27, 2017
So you were interested in the game and were going to get it, but the thought of a hypothetical sequel to this completely self-contained game, that's probably 3-4 years away, if it does in fact ever happen, potentially being an Xbox exclusive (in a console landscape likely to be completely different than today's) is what changed your mind.

That about sum it up?

Yikes.

That does pretty much sum it up, though. Minus the part you seem to think is about console warz or something.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
Console fanboys for either ecosystem are lame, and losing interest for a game because any potential sequels would be exclusive to that ecosystem is even lamer.

Play games! Play all games! Enjoy all consoles! Don't be so narrow minded.

Oct 28, 2017
No? Seems ridiculous to keep yourself from getting a game you're interested in because of something that may happen in a future title that doesn't exist yet.

DustyVonErich

Oct 31, 2017
I'm still going to play it, but I get the sentiment.

It's like when a show gets cancelled after a season or two, and you hear people question if it's even worth a watch now.

If you feel like you'll be missing out eventually, why not choose another show (game) instead? Then you don't waste your time on potentially incomplete storylines.

Nothing console warring about that

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still going to play it, but I get the sentiment.

It's like when a show gets cancelled after a season or two, and you hear people question if it's even worth a watch now.

If you feel like you'll be missing out eventually, why not choose another show (game) instead? Then you don't waste your time on potentially incomplete storylines.

Nothing console warring about that
Except it's not a season of a TV show, it's a game. There's nothing incomplete about the game, it's not part 1 or anything.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
I never understood why Sony never made their own western style first person RPG. It is the one genre that's a glaring gap in their library.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Guys. I totally get this. I didn't get Last of Us, because I didn't know if they would ever have a sequel. In fact, I didn't buy a Playstation because of that. It's absolutely ridiculous that they would DARE to create a game with an ambiguous sequel possibility. Can you believe they tried to tell us it was a complete game AND THEN THEY'RE TRYING TO SELL A SEQUEL?!

EVEN WORSE! They want to release TLOU2 on PS4?? THE FUCK. There's no guarantee that I'll be able to play TLOU3 on PS4. And that's utterly disgusting and completely unacceptable.

It's not like I could ever just enjoy a self-contained game on its own merits. Nah.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
It's the best written game of its type ever made. I wouldn't count it out as never doing sequels on other platforms, look at Ori as example

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What? Of course not, why is this even a question, it's a great game so it's day 1 for me. I even got a GP copy and PS4 physical