• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019
Yeah, if anything the timing makes me sure they're ahead on power, otherwise they would've been quiet and let the games do the talking instead, closer to launch.

It would make zero sense to do a deeper hardware look two days after Microsoft only to announce something weaker. What would they gain by doing that?

Dont be so sure as hardware doesnt just = tflops. They could be less teraflops but better RT or SSD solution. Plus there's PSVR2 to talk about.

In this scenario showing less flops wouldnt be an issue.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
I can't wait to see what Sony are delivering.

I'm firmly in the camp that if Sony had more to offer than Microsoft in pure TF numbers they would have said so way before now. Because Microsoft has. I also think 9 or 10TF will BENEFIT Sony in terms of sales because then PS5 may be cheaper than the XSX. While games look mostly the same.

Yes

I think PS5 SSD is really fast like 5Go/s up to 8Go/s with compression.

But I need to know, what is the Secret sauce of both console ?
that is not raw speed. the raw speed is 2.4GB/s, if compressed they can stream 4.8GB/s theoritically, the hardware decompressor is capable of decompressing up to 6GB/s of data, but the compressed speed metric is 4.8GB/s and raw is 2.4GB/s
cerny was saying that the raw speed is greater than any SSD at the time, so the raw speed is greater than 3.5GB/s, and then you have the compression factor that increases the speed if the data has been compressed, for MS that compression factor seems to be 2x, but we dont know for sony, so basically we are lacking 2 values, the raw speed which we have a lower bound of 3.5GB/s and "compression factor" that allows you to fill the ram with more data quicker.

well then, that top left to bottom right diagonal line and bottom line are obviously not getting a bingo lol.

There is big difference between 2,4Go/s vs 3,5-4,5Go/s in performance ?

MnM

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 9, 2020
Oh boy, if the specs won't be as beefy as XSX's it's gonna be chaotic.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Where are all the gifs? 😅🤣

Let`s start with...

PerfumedMessyChanticleer-small.gif

Last edited:

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I expect compression to fall in the 7-8 range.

There was something suggesting Sony would actually make it cheaper by customizing it more. They get rid of unnecessary parts that don't help with performance and add cost.

so they have an R&D cost to cover, they may have made it cheaper for themselves to produce but I wouldnt put my money on them passing that onto the customer. THey will need to make the R&D back, plus profit. If it's faster than the XBox version and cheaper...Hats off to them.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
People are getting really hung up on TF numbers.

I'm really excited to hear more about this 3D audio. That combined with VR sounds like a real game changer. Does anyone have experience with this tech? Sounds amazing.

Jan 2, 2018
I'll do my random prediction too!

CPU - 8C/16T @3.4Ghz.
GPU - 36CU @2Ghz (9.2TF).
Memory - 16Gbps GDDR6, x8 2GB chips, 16GB in total on a 256-bit bus (512GB/s).
SSD - 1TB @4.5GB/s.
RT - the same solution as MS, so basically AMD's RDNA2.

May I crush&burn and we will get a 13TF PS5.
Yep,that's about what I'm expecting as well,as we already discussed in our local forum (:
Would be happy if the CPU is clocked at 3.5Ghz or the same as XSX though,to make the differences between the two as small as possible for 3rd party.
Also,for the love of god please not different pools of GDDR6 again,I like uniformity (: Hoping for 18Gbp/s chips.
I'm also expecting Sony's audio solution to be more advanced than MS and the DS5 will probably be as well.
Curious to see if cerny will talk about their approach to VR next gen and if the hardware is baked into the SOC this time.
Still betting on 499$ btw.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
They could cut on RAM, CPU and GPU (something like a 7TF), allow compatibility with other headsets like Valve and make 'console only' bundles that would still play all PS4 games and full retrocompatability.

300€ console only and 600€ with the VR headset.

I mean is not going to happen, but it would be cool to see another console hardware company go all in other direction that not just doing more or less the same.

Maybe, but not like this.

This makes absolutely zero sense, and it would get murdered left and right and get all people involved fired.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
My god...i actually hope Sony doesn't say the word teraflops on that video and they just talk about functionality, what's gonna offer, and some specs and that's it.
The word teraflops is just an excuse to fuel stanwars with people that don't know what that even means lol.

Baku

Jan 24, 2018
still things can change, considering how it went from PS2 to 360..

Remember that once Nokia was king of the hill.. there are no sure leads..
Nokia failed the change to smartphones. I can see Sony losing a lot of ground when expensive home consoles are out of date and we see the change to streaming.

I don't see that happening now. These consoles are releasing at roughly the same time, with roughly the same specs and probably around the same price. But never say aldrig ;)

Oct 25, 2017
so they have an R&D cost to cover, they may have made it cheaper for themselves to produce but I wouldnt put my money on them passing that onto the customer. THey will need to make the R&D back, plus profit. If it's faster than the XBox version and cheaper...Hats off to them.
Well, I also expect both the PS5 and SX to be $499 and still lose money. I just think their priorities won't be the same with R&D and budget. Sony probably just put more into their SSD.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have to be honest, I dont get why they're going ahead with this. How will they be produced? Where will anyone buy one? How will they be shipped? How will developers make games for them? Where will people get the money to buy them?

It feels pointless to announce it when none of that can be answered.

G-X

Oct 28, 2017
Exactly the same here, he even looks scary. I think he should own it.
I can't look at Cerny and not see Dana Carvey. I just can't.

I absolutely love his work, I'm starting at a white Vita that needs to be charged on my desk while I work from home, and the PS4 was a massive series of correct hardware choices after the Kutaragi era ended in piss poor choice after choice. Well those Jaguar cores, but I'm putting that on AMD.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Sony was planning to set up locations for PS5 teasers. Similar to the PlayStation truck many years ago. I'm a little surprised they're still going forward with the plans considering the virus.

Yeah something doesn't seem right with this. A public hands-on would draw huge crowds. Maybe a month before launch if things have settled down by then?

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
I have to be honest, I dont get why they're going ahead with this. How will they be produced? Where will anyone buy one? How will they be shipped? How will developers make games for them? Where will people get the money to buy them?

It feels pointless to announce it when none of that can be answered.

I get your point but this is the kind of escapism we all need. It doesn't hurt anyone and brings some joy in those grim times.

ussjtrunks

Oct 25, 2017
I assume it'll be around E3 before they show the console, prob show a few games then too in like a Sony direct

Status
Not open for further replies.