• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
So why is everyone expecting Sony to have weaker console compared to the Xbox X? Is this based on leaks or have they actually said anything on performance? Sorry I haven't been following the speculation threads.

Who is everyone? There are some who believe one or the other.

Some see the MS specs and assume it's a $600 console and Sony won't go that route.

Some think Sony can match those specs at a cheaper price because they'll order parts in greater volumes over the course of the generation.

Some think that Sony can come in as powerful (or more powerful) for cheaper (or the same price) because they manufacture some of the components themselves.

Some think that MS has infinite pockets and will take a ridiculous loss upfront.

Some think that because of how important PlayStation is to Sony vs how important Xbox is to MS that Sony will take a greater up front loss.

Some think that Sony has better engineers full stop.

Some think that MS has come into their own hardware wise just as Sony has done well with software now (APIs, OS, tools, etc).

Some believe GitHub, some think it's not indicative of final hardware.

Finally a lot of us believe in the multiple trustworthy insiders that say the two consoles are very close in power with some of them outright saying that PS5 has the advantage. There isn't a consensus, but a lot of vocal minorities that fall into those various groups.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
I feel bad for y'all expecting games.

those expecting teraflops will be happy though

and that's all there is to it

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
I will be quite surprised if this stream tomorrow is literally just them dropping the raw GDC talk and that's it. It's possible, and it seems like most people are expecting that, but I will be surprised if it's not bookended with some content aimed at the (enthusiast) consumers.

We'll see soon enough.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
I will be quite surprised if this stream tomorrow is literally just them dropping the raw GDC talk and that's it. It's possible, and it seems like most people are expecting that, but I will be surprised if it's not bookended with some content aimed at the (enthusiast) consumers.

We'll see soon enough.

we don't know if there will be a stream.

Could be another article, Sony love those.

MissCauthon

Oct 25, 2017
The way things are going, it wouldn't surprise me if these two new consoles get a massive delay with the current situation.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
The real question is what will PS5's theme color be this time. Will we stick to our deep blue and black!?

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I have a feeling this proprietary SSD thing is more than hype. DF made a big deal of the advantages it can bring to game development in their Xbox reveal and how it's a multiplier for other components. If that's true (and that's Microsofts narrative) then what does it mean if the Playstations SSD is twice as fast as has been rumored? Might bring some special benefits and change the future of gaming the way the HDD in the OG Xbox did.

I'm predicting that each console will have advantages depending on the game design. I suspect Sonys devs will push to do things in open worlds....less doable on Xbox. In games with traditional game design, Xbox will have advantages.

That said, in the end, it will come down to content and price. Masses didn't give 2 shits that OG Xbox could do things PS2 couldn't. The Switch is killing it with high res Game Cube games and Indies.

I'm most interested in seeing how Sony and Microsoft competed to make life easier and better for devs.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think we get some next gen gameplay if PS5 is less powerful than Xbox Series X, otherwise they just let the specs speak for themself.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
Finally a lot of us believe in the multiple trustworthy insiders that say the two consoles are very close in power with some of them outright saying that PS5 has the advantage. There isn't a consensus, but a lot of vocal minorities that fall into those various groups.

I'm going with Billy Kahn from ID saying the PS5 is 'awesome'.

twitter.com

Billy Khan💖🦄✨ on Twitter

“PS5 details will finally be made public tomorrow. My TLDR version - It’s awesome. https://t.co/OirGgju86s”

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
Kind of unlikely to cancel something that's already built.
AdmiredEachJackal-small.gif

adamYUKI

Oct 28, 2017
There was an interview or something with Cerny and someone in the old boards said "gonna watch this in the tub" and it snowballed from there.

Hmmm, I think that's mostly right. The poster originally meant to write that he/she was going to watch Cerny's presentation on the "tube" (TV?), but it came out as "tub" typo. And the rest is history, as they say. 😂 🛀

JayBabay

Oct 25, 2017
California
I've been so impressed with the design, both physically and architecturally of the Xbox Series X. But, with my gaming habits being focused on PC first and PS4 for exclusives, I can't help but feel more excited and anxious to learn more about the PS5 because, in my position, it seems like it's something I inevitably have to buy, whereas my PC covers me for the Xbox games, and even though just looking at it makes me want one so bad, it's not practical for me to do so, like the PS5 would be.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
I can't believe it's finally happening. Tomorrow we'll know. It's kind of crazy, right? The suspense Sony has built by doing literally nothing is insane.

Oct 25, 2017
I've been so impressed with the design, both physically and architecturally of the Xbox Series X. But, with my gaming habits being focused on PC first and PS4 for exclusives, I can't help but feel more excited and anxious to learn more about the PS5 because, in my position, it seems like it's something I inevitably have to buy, whereas my PC covers me for the Xbox games, and even though just looking at it makes me want one so bad, it's not practical for me to do so, like the PS5 would be.

You have the best setup.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I just want confirmation of full region free PS1to PS4 BC, probably not going to happen though...
Me, too. My American/Japanese game collection from ps1-ps4 all playable on one console would be so incredible for me. I'd love to save some space and get rid of my American and Japanese PS2s, US PS3, and JP PS4 (not that region matters for the last two).

beta

Dec 31, 2019
I think anyone hoping for PS3 BC should be cautious, the other 3 (PS1, PS2 and PS4) are much more likely imo.

Saberus

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver, BC
You know.. the sad part will be even if they announce TF as 11.1..etc and the rest of the spec's are better than MS, people will cry rivers of salt..
you can't win the TF wars...

Status
Not open for further replies.