• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 26, 2018
Sony has half the battle won just on the fact of ps4 BC going forwards. Unless they royally fuck up, it's their gen to lose.

woolyninja

Oct 27, 2017
I love Cerny talking about hardware - and I have a light work day. Can't wait for this, especially after the Xbox one the other day that I also enjoyed a lot. Tech nerd in me can't get enough of this stuff.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not really, theres a higher portion of Sony fans on this forum. We have polls that state as much. And that Naughty Dog thread recently demonstrates this further (tone is less incendiary and more forgiving as opposed to similar thread for CDPR + Rockstar).
www.resetera.com

Poll - What current gen gaming platforms do you own?

So, we're closing in on the end of the generation, next generation is roughly a year away going by rumors, we know Sony is dominating like never before with the PS4 worldwide on hardware sales and Switch is playing catch up. But lets take a peek at what the userbases look like among core gamers...

That poll pretty much mirrors the real life install base differences, only with Nintendo being a fair bit over represented, and PC being underrepresented. Still, the forum is essentially representative of wider sales and consumer demand or interest.

Also, I don't know how you've concluded the ND thread was less incindiery or more forgiving than the Rockstar one. Going through both, I see more defending of Rockstars practices in the first few pages of said thread than in the ND one.

Last edited:

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
While I'm sure they were planning on discussing all this at GDC, I can't help but wonder at the timing. The presentation was already planned, of course, no way they could throw one together so quickly. But it's clear that they decided to jump on it today after MS's info dump yesterday. The timing's a little too coincidental. So I imagine they're either of the mindset that they have nothing to fear, or that they have nothing to lose, now that the other cat's out of the bag.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
You know what power Xbox can't ever compete with?
This:
CGTIql3.jpg

uO3Ugep.jpg
It's no secret that PlayStation is the bigger brand, I don't think that it's controversial to say that Xbox are starting this (next) gen as the underdogs bc even the switch had a lead on them.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
why does a thread about the Sony console automatically mean it's full of embarrassing fanboys just because it's having more traction?
There's this atmosphere of pure unadulturated hype that flows through threads like this, which center around big gaming news and reveals. The sort of feel you rarely see on Era outside of insane Smash threads. And I don't know if it's just me, but I feel like Playstation threads benefit massively from the ubiquity of Playstation love. If I dropped by to post variations of 'drop that load, Cerny. DO IT.' a few times, maybe with a humorous gif on the side - well, I don't think very many people would think much of it. And I may be wrong, or I may be showing a bit of bias in my thinking, here... but with nearly every other major gaming brand having less cache and fewer fans here (like in real life), such behavior is often seen as a bit brand-obsessive, or straight-up kinda weird, when seen in threads revolving around other brands that aren't evergreen Nintendo shit basically (and, uh, even then, lol). Like, I've seen people get the verbal side-eye for invoking Phil in Xbox hype threads, yunno? Course, we wouldn't be having this discussion if it weren't for people trying to do the same to Playstation fans, but being the big dog in town, more people will defend the PS hype, and revel in it, I feel. And I think that's the imbalance some people are feeling, even if it's probably best for them to just deal with the reality that Sony flat-out brings the hype to many more people, and a bigger crowd is always gonna be a wilder crowd. Playstation IS gaming to so many people, after all. Easy enough of a thing for me to see when it's time for a Nintendo hype thread, so why not Sony threads too?
I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this week and got caught up in a bit of console warring myself. I'm over it now, and I'm so ready for the PS5 deep dive and potential reveals. Trying to get on the same wavelength as our PS fans up in here, to share in the joy, and to that end I'm doing my best to look at the hype train from a fairer and nicer perspective than I might have in the past. cuz for real most people here are just trying to have fun while prepping themselves for an info drop that actually excites them.

angel_deamon

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Why we don't have a list of specs leaked for PS5? We had the xsx specs leaked but ps5 nothing

beta

Dec 31, 2019
maybe we'll se that PS5 Spiderman tech demo that has been talked about

I don't think that would be the best example of using the higher bandwidth, because its not built with it in mind its more of a port to use the capability.

Something to show off the advantages of huge SSD bandwidth from the ground up would be much more impressive and probably a better representation of what we can expect.

SPDIF

Oct 27, 2017
That poll pretty much mirrors the real life install base differences, only with Nintendo being a fair bit over represented, and PC being underrepresented. Still, the forum is essentially representative of wider sales and consumer demand or interest.
Right, except this being an enthusiast board means the fanboy level is multiplied to an insane degree and therefore this place can sometimes feel like it might as well just be a PS only forum.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Wrong. In April 2019 they started nextgen talk, then in October 2019 they unveiled some more information, in January 2020 they reiterated on some of the things they talked about and 2 months after they are doing a technical deep dive.

It's not close to the same quantity and quality of info MS have been putting out - simple as. Otherwise there wouldn't be so many doom and gloom posts because Sony chose to wait on MS, and very little info was going out. So I think it is perfectly on point to say this is the first sizeable official info we are getting on the console / what Sony have in mind for it

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Didn't an insider say that Sony has their own version of that, but it'll go by a different name? Given their push for a smooth and fast transition to the PS5, it makes sense to have something like that.
I believe it was Matt, but if I remember correctly he also said he wasn't sure if Sony would use it themselves. I'll see if I can find those comments. Edit: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ps...check-out-the-staff-post.168732/post-29360740
This isn't really an *announcement* of PS5. I wouldn't expect a lot of game talk tomorrow.
So if it isn't a lot (like many of us expected), is there still a chance of some?

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
While I'm sure they were planning on discussing all this at GDC, I can't help but wonder at the timing. The presentation was already planned, of course, no way they could throw one together so quickly. But it's clear that they decided to jump on it today after MS's info dump yesterday. The timing's a little too coincidental. So I imagine they're either of the mindset that they have nothing to fear, or that they have nothing to lose, now that the other cat's out of the bag.

It's probably the opposite, in that Microsoft predicted Sony to reveal PS5 information during GDC week and planned to get their information out first thing Monday morning.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Right, except this being an enthusiast board means the fanboy level is multiplied to an insane degree and therefore this place can sometimes feel like it might as well just be a PS only forum.

Not sure about that given how much negativity Sony still gets, irrespective of the fandom.

I feel like this place statistically speaking is Nintendo slanted if anything, mirrored in many polls, each of the GOTY awards, RPG game awards and other discussions (including the very one quoted above with respect to platform ownership and use vs actual install base differences). But anyway, we digress.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Yep, there is an undeniable PS bias here..but you could argue it's totally justified given how bad MS fucked up the start of this gen. They've completely turned it around under Phil but that first impression of the XB1 is an almost impossible thing to erase regardless of how many correct moves are made.

On topic I am thoroughly enjoying these welcome distractions from MS and now Sony with the shit going on in the world today.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The fanboyism for every platform is everywhere on this forum though. You notice what you're looking out for.
Part of me wonders if it's due to the general age of the board. Like my 18 year old brother is too busy playing Warzone cross play to console war.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I see this and I usually laugh considering how often I see "arrogant Sony" and negativity in general on this forum. You notice what you want to notice.

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, there is an undeniable PS bias here..but you could argue it's totally justified given how bad MS fucked up the start of this gen. They've completely turned it around under Phil but that first impression of the XB1 is an almost impossible thing to erase regardless of how many correct moves are made.

On topic I am thoroughly enjoying these welcome distractions from MS and now Sony with the shit going on in the world today.
There is an undeniable bias....for every platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.