• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doby

Oct 25, 2017
If Sony felt pressured they coud have simply withheld their announcement. Not like they announced it beforehand or anything and had to show up.
Gotta agree with the people thinking its a sign of confidence.

Why can't it just be that it was planned all along. Maybe there was supposed to be a PS meeting in February, but after pulling it they just reworked it into this planned GDC talk, which subsequently has evolved into an online presentation.

Deleted member 19924

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
God I hope they show some gameplay of next gen games or a tech demo, Microsoft not showing anything new yesterday was abit of a buzzkill.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Why can't it just be that it was planned all along. Maybe there was supposed to be a PS meeting in February, but after pulling it they just reworked it into this planned GDC talk, which subsequently has evolved into an online presentation.

Because there has to be a conspiracy theory regarding everything these days.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Fingers crossed we see that secret feature that Cerny didn't reveal in the Wired articles because he was worried competition would copy it.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
You know what (despite my doubt before) I think we'll see a next gen demo in action as they show off the features. A old game just ain't going to cut it (except showing off improvements through BC). We've seen Spiderman before. I think we're going to see something new actually for the PS5 now.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
I think they'll show one PS5 game. New Gran Turismo seems like a good thing for such presentation of new visual effects etc.

Or Knack 3.

Deleted member 19767

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If Sony felt pressured they coud have simply withheld their announcement. Not like they announced it beforehand or anything and had to show up.

I think it's more likely that both Microsoft and Sony planned to reveal detailed specs around GDC. I honestly don't think there is any value in trying to draw concepts like 'confidence' from the statements and marketing from these types of corporations.
Yes, there's no doubt some strategy involved. But it's a huge leap to suggest that Sony are doing this to slam Microsoft. Equally, I think it's silly to assume that Microsoft are super confident because of their earlier messaging.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
Im calling it... 13TFlops. I don't know how they will get it.. but they waited for MS to go first.. and I think they're coming in hot with better specs to boot. It would be a nightmare for MS if thats the case. To have the Xbox Series X and S be weaker than PS5...
Calm down, the Series X is still a fucking monster of a console. They'll be so close, it won't even matter.

What I'm most hoping for is that a slightly more powerful PS5 leads MS to sound the death knell on Lockhart/Series S.

Having 12 tflops be the basline for the entire generation would be incredible. I'm really hoping MS goes this route regardless, even if the Series X turns out to be slightly less powerful or not.

IOTS

Dec 13, 2019
You know what (despite my doubt before) I think we'll see a next gen demo in action as they show off the features. A old game just ain't going to cut it (except showing off improvements through BC). We've seen Spiderman before. I think we're going to see something new actually for the PS5 now.
Im not expecting it but Im hoping for it too.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I doubt they will talk games already, I expect a later announcement on that, launch games and pricing, lets say, august. (honest guess)

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
This is great news as it looks like they are still planning to release this year.

Still kinda shook they are revealing this in the midst of a worldwide pandemic. But I don't expect a huge reveal here.

Still, i'm tuning in.

Of course you and I find it interesting how your attitude suddenly changed in just one day but also not very surprising.

With the world in the midst of a horrible pandemic, trying to reveal your new gaming hardware is currently incredibly foolish and shortsighted.

Sony will have plenty of news cycles to itself. There is no need to rush.

I think both consoles will have their pros and cons with regard to the hardware this time around (unlike PS4 vs. XBO where PS4 was clearly better performing) in the sense that the PS5 probably has slightly faster loading times while the XBSEX outperforms it slightly but the difference will likely be negligible.

What I'm most curious about is BC on PS5 - really hoping they offer full PS4 BC and PS3 BC via emulation.
PS4 yes, PS3 doubtful. That's why Sony invested in PS Now.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Huh? He covers MS related stuff, why would he know anything about PS5? Never claimed to lol
If you think Tom doesn't have access to people who are more intimately aware of PS5 plans then I dunno what you're smoking. He and his colleagues at Vox Media do talk daily amongst each other you know.

Trust me on this.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Calm down, the Series X is still a fucking monster of a console. They'll be so close, it won't even matter.

What I'm most hoping for is that a slightly more powerful PS5 leads MS to sound the death knell on Lockhart/Series S.

Having 12 tflops be the basline for the entire generation would be incredible. I'm really hoping MS goes this route regardless, even if the Series X turns out to be slightly less powerful or not.

12 TF wouldn't be the baseline regardless of whether Lockhart existed or not since games will still be made for the Xbox One and PS4 for the next several years.

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
S77adWq.gif

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
But will we get similar gifs of people cramming the internals in the PS5 chassis like with did with the Series X? That's all I'm here for.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
I think both consoles will have their pros and cons with regard to the hardware this time around (unlike PS4 vs. XBO where PS4 was clearly better performing) in the sense that the PS5 probably has slightly faster loading times while the XBSEX outperforms it slightly but the difference will likely be negligible.

What I'm most curious about is BC on PS5 - really hoping they offer full PS4 BC and PS3 BC via emulation.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017

Some people also think that MS speaking so much is also a sign of confidence. Too bad we can't have a rational discussions about this stuff without people jumping all over each other.

With that said, I go back to what I posted earlier....I would of loved to be a fly on the wall at both MS and Sony as they decide how they go about doing what they are doing and the timing around it all. It is all coincidence that both machines get blow outs within 48 hours of each other? Did one wait because they may behind the curve is raw specs/numbers? Did one go first because they are behind the curve and wanted to show they have powerful console but perhaps not as powerful as the one that has not been fully revealed? Those are all things that would be cool to know about but that we never will. So many things at play with these consoles. Looking forward to whatever Sony has to show....unlike some, I enjoy gaming on any console/pc, I play games to play games not to play on only certain consoles or PC only.

IOTS

Dec 13, 2019
I think it's more likely that both Microsoft and Sony planned to reveal detailed specs around GDC. I honestly don't think there is any value in trying to draw concepts like 'confidence' from the statements and marketing from these types of corporations.
Yes, there's no doubt some strategy involved. But it's a huge leap to suggest that Sony are doing this to slam Microsoft. Equally, I think it's silly to assume that Microsoft are super confident because of their earlier messaging.
But how can it not be a sign of "confidence"? Would you reveal your console 2 days after your competition did, if its weaker/ not as impressive?

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
I reckon:
Box and controller shown
A next gen game demo'd to show off features Inc glimpses of UI
A current gen game to show off BC improvements
Not all specs fully laid out
On par with Series X despite some bits being better or worse
SSD that is as fast as The Flash
No pricing or date
UI not fully detailed
No mention of launch games

Doby

Oct 25, 2017

I have my doubts they'll drop Lockhart. Even if the PS5 has bigger numbers on paper, it'll still be very comparable with the Series X, they're in the same consumer bracket like 2 flagship phones from different companies. Lockhart will have an audience there's no doubt about it.

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
I reckon:
Box and controller shown
A next gen game demo'd to show off features Inc glimpses of UI
A current gen game to show off BC improvements
Not all specs fully laid out
On par with Series X despite some bits being better or worse
SSD that is as fast as The Flash
No pricing or date
UI not fully detailed

Sounds reasonable.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
hmm...

11tf
3.6ghz CPU
Better RAM
Better SSD
no proprietary slot or slot of any kind

is my guess

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
12 TF wouldn't be the baseline regardless of whether Lockhart existed or not since games will still be made for the Xbox One and PS4 for the next several years.
I don't know about several, I'd say a year or two tops.

It will be the baseline eventually. Besides, a 4 tflops console bottlenecking next-gen consoles years down the line doesn't sound good - At all.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
I can't tell if I'm looking forward to the reveal or the inevitable comparisons between the two next gen systems the most. Shame it's in the middle of the day tomorrow.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
No. Games will not be made for the XB1 and PS4 fr the next several years. At least not by sony. And neither would most third parties. That's exclusively an MS thing.

Don't drink the MS cool-aid... what they are planning on doing with their platform is not representative of what the entire industry will bedoing.

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
Imma bet my N20 masks that there will be no hard clock speed/TF numbers. Just general architectural info. And the industrial design reveal. And some BC and ducky demos featuring some of the next gen tricks like Ray tracing and SSD resumes.

IMO, Sony will wait until MS reveals XSX pricing to reveal their hard numbers for PS5. And it will reveal it to be a bit slower but also cheaper.

Oct 25, 2017
Imma bet my N20 masks that there will be no hard clock speed/TF numbers. Just general architectural info. And the industrial design reveal. And some BC and ducky demos featuring some of the next gen tricks like Ray tracing and SSD resumes.

IMO, Sony will wait until MS reveals XSX pricing to reveal their hard numbers for PS5. And it will reveal it to be a bit slower but also cheaper.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Im calling it... 13TFlops. I don't know how they will get it.. but they waited for MS to go first.. and I think they're coming in hot with better specs to boot. It would be a nightmare for MS if thats the case. To have the Xbox Series X and S be weaker than PS5...
A TFLOP difference that small relatively speaking won't be a noticeably difference. 13 TFLOPs IMO is still far fetched. I think we are going to see something just below XSX. The interesting part is how Sony is going to handle the reveal if the PS5 is indeed weaker then the XSX. I guess they will either be vague about the specs, or highlight custom features, or gimmicks. Either way, I am definitely watching.

Status
Not open for further replies.