• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Yeah I will be surprised if we see a consumer box tomorrow.
I will be surprised to see any proper games outside of a tweaked Spider-Man load-time demo etc.

Of course they will talk the innards in detail but I really hope they talk the controller as well.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
Here's what has me thinking. Devs are saying that PS5 has really exciting tech in it. I'm not seeing any of that talk about Xbox series X. Maybe I'm off but I wonder if there is some kind of paradigm shift Sony is coming forward with. Maybe MS has a great console based on the old conventions of computing and Sony has found a different approach.
I kinda doubt it. Most of these developers still have to make games and engines for other platforms, so Sony can't go too far off the reservation, otherwise their work won't carry over to the other platforms. At the PS4 announcement, Cerny said that developers told him that even if there was a chip (back pre-2013) that could do real time raytracing, they didn't want it because their engines wouldn't work with the other platforms.

At most, it'll be something like Tensor cores that already exist on nvidia cards on PC at least, but that still leaves the XSX out in the cold.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It doesnt sound like tomorrow will go into the games. So i dont expect any studio announcements until summer.

Show us the hardware and features though. I want to know it all.

Them flops
The BC
The hard drive
The DS5
3d reality audio
Etc

Legend J 858

Oct 25, 2018
Microsoft choosing to partner with Seagate for XseX propietarty external drive is going to be a red rings of death scenario again.

After all the horrible failure rates Seagate has had with their SSHD Hybrid Drives.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
If they deep dive specs they better deep dive the design and what makes it silent. I genuinely wouldn't care about owning a ps5 at launch if it was 13tf vs 12 but noisy. The people who visited microsoft said the series x is dead silent.

I expect the same from Sony.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Nah, pretty funny. You guys are too serious some times. It's a bit extra funny though, that it might be the other way around. We don't know yet.

18 hours left...

Lol it ain't that serious man.

tenor.gif

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Xbox one BOM was higher than PS4, even when not including kinect. The SoC on xbox one was more expensive because of the ESRAM I believe. BOM is only one side of the story, whoever makes the best design decisions will have the best console, if the two systems are priced the same I mean.

When it came to BOM of PS4\XB1 Sony did save on other parts like BD drive , wiring etc etc .
It was not a huge saving like $15 still everything counts when it comes to these things .
So like you said BOM not the full story even if they using a lot of the same parts.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's what has me thinking. Devs are saying that PS5 has really exciting tech in it. I'm not seeing any of that talk about Xbox series X. Maybe I'm off but I wonder if there is some kind of paradigm shift Sony is coming forward with. Maybe MS has a great console based on the old conventions of computing and Sony has found a different approach.

A indie dev did speak about XSX tech with excitement, a small company called CD Project Red.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
It's not unprecedented that they hold back on box design. They've held back before. More news trickle as the year goes on is good!

I also just think they are looking to get the raw numbers Digital Foundry type material out of the way so when it's time to show games, there is no need to mix in boring numbers. Again, I have nothing to go off except my own intuition.

That is what they did with PS4 one event specs the next big event .
Give the price and show the console same time .

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
It's not unprecedented that they hold back on box design. They've held back before. More news trickle as the year goes on is good!

I also just think they are looking to get the raw numbers Digital Foundry type material out of the way so when it's time to show games, there is no need to mix in boring numbers. Again, I have nothing to go off except my own intuition.
Oh okay that makes sense. Hope they still show a couple tech demos for those of us that have no idea what the numbers mean lol

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird because MS seemed really confident around the specs, and all the Sony leaks were pretty negative, but doing this days after the glowing XSX spec write up would definitely suggest confidence on Sony's part too. Interested to see what this is.

No you fell for the forced narrative. Anything positive about PS5 was just ignored or discredited by a determined group of people. That game is almost over though.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
I think we'll see a PS5 game.

PS4 reveal wasn't just tech talk with Cerny. He also demo'd Killzone and Knack. Xbox Series X was shown off with Hellblade. I think we'll see a similar snippet of a PS5 exclusive, because that's what puts the hard numbers into perspective.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I will be surprised to see any proper games outside of a tweaked Spider-Man load-time demo etc.

Of course they will talk the innards in detail but I really hope they talk the controller as well.

Same. I want to see a much higher quality DS5. Better triggers, better sticks, and better overall build quality.

Not sure we'll get that tomorrow though.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
When it came to BOM of PS4\XB1 Sony did save on other parts like BD drive , wiring etc etc .
It was not a huge saving like $15 still everything counting when it comes to these things .
So like you said BOM not the full story even if they using a lot of the same parts.
If accurate this picture seems interesting looking back at it now, price for parts are similar, but sony saved on optical drive,PSU, and controller, and they got the better SoC for a better price since they didnt have to use ESRAM.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018

I feel like we could see a box or at least I'm hoping we do. Interested in how Sony has designed this thing compared to how MS designed the Series X, especially if specs end up being extremely similar.

Microsoft choosing to partner with Seagate for XseX propietarty external drive is going to be a red rings of death scenario again.

After all the horrible failure rates Seagate has had with their SSHD Hybrid Drives.

And people really want to tell me this guy isn't console warring.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I'm so hyped for this. I really hope we see the console design but I get the feeling perhaps we won't. Cerny did reveal the original DS4 during the PS4 reveal. Also given what MS has done so far it would be a bit of a let down to still not see the final console design.

I'm curious about the SSD speeds and if they really are faster as has been hinted at by some insiders before. The XSX game resume looks great and 6 seconds really isn't long, but imagine if Sony can do it in half the time. I know it's silly but for a cool feature like that it still feels ... slow... (Yes I know). 3 seconds would be cool. Would make that feature fee a lot snappier. Also the State of Decay loadup still feels slow to me... if Sony promise almost instant and deliver it'll be impressive.

Neoraxis

Nov 27, 2017
We need gaaaaaaames bro, is this stream just for specs and nerdy stuff or will they announce games too?

zzzyz36

Oct 23, 2018
Let's hope it's a lot better made than my pro which sound like a vacuum cleaner.

Love tech and love a new generation, 4K HDR 60 going mainstream is going to be a lot of fun.

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
No you fell for the forced narrative. Anything positive about PS5 was just ignored or discredited by a determined group of people. That game is almost over though.

A determined group of people positioned themselves to downplay and discredit one of the hottest upcoming console launches probably ever, even going as far as to set a forced narrative. Now the truth is about to be revealed and the game is almost over...….is this a meme or do people actually live and believe shit like this?

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
Watching the PS4 reveal. I want one of those awesome PS montages 😮 They'll probably keep those for the big next-gen games unveil, though.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
It's stuff originally meant for GDC, so probably recorded.

Cheers. Interesting that we all thought everything would leak at GDC so Sony thought we'll reveal detail at it!

I also wonder if it is recorded could there be various videos for games including third-party? Pete Hines was at Sony HQ just over a week ago for the first time in 3 years for an update on PS5? Maybe he recorded something......

dobahking91

Oct 26, 2017
Jim Ryan said:
"3D audio and the haptic feedback support of the controller are also things that, when you try them, you will be surprised at how big a change they are. Even just playing the racing game Gran Turismo Sport with a PlayStation 5 controller is a completely different experience.

"While it runs well with the previous controller, there is no going back after you experience the detailed road surface via haptic control, and play using the adaptive triggers."

Really excited about this.
Hope we learn more tomorrow about the DS5

Status
Not open for further replies.