• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
*comes home from work*

Ooh, this is an unexpected surprise, the nice kind of unexpected surprise!

I cannot believe this thread has hit the 50th page in a shy over eight hours...

There's just that something extra special about the PlayStation brand, isn't there?

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
This was always weird to me. My PS4 Pro is completely silent at all times. Meanwhile, I swing by my neighbor's house and his Pro sounds like it's about to lift off.

Must have been a manufacturing thing or something. I've heard of people redoing the thermal paste.

Speaking of cooling: A real game changer for next gen would be to include a hatch or removable piece that allowed people to clean the dust/hair/grime out of their console's fans/heat sinks/radiators.
You mean like the pro top cover? Granted you can only get to the fan though but it's something. Just pops off.

My launch Pro is near silent also. Only time I've ever heard it was map & title screens until they get patched to lock the framerate

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
I am eager to see the new Spiderman tech demo, with raytraced water puddles.

I have very little hope we'll get hard numbers for a first presentation but still, it will be nice to learn at last some details.
"system architecture" though, no design will be shown i bet.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
My last minute predictions:

- "Most exciting hardware" probably means really amazing new controller features + being able to pop in almost any disc from a past playstation generation. Yeah, the latter sounds like a pipe dream but that would legit make this an "exciting" piece of hardware. People are focusing on power, but I just think that's a given for all next gen hardware at this point.
- I think we'll see, at most, only small amounts of tech demos tomorrow. Maybe not even that. I wouldn't be surprised if they showed us side-by-side Spiderman comparisons.
- I'm doubtful we'd actually see the final box. We'll probably just see numbers on screen and talk about what they mean in terms of performance. Maybe the controller will be shown.
- There might not even talk about OS perks.
- I give it extremely low chance of talking about price. We're not there yet.

Just idle speculation.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Over 100k likes for an announcement of an announcement is kinda hilarious. Really highlights how much people have been blueballed.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PS fans right now after hearing this news:

giphy.gif

disgusting boys club behaviour

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
It would be nice to actually see what it will look like.

Hoping for backwards compatibility for all previous gens and talk about the cooling system, can't be doing with another loud PlayStation.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That doesn't mean much, Microsoft could pay more for same items, manufacturers prob more willing to lower cost with Sony since they do sell twice as many current consoles

While that might be a logical assumption on some of the components (volume discounts are very common) - it's almost certainly not factored into these hypothetical BOM scenarios.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I mean, MS hit a home run once. The XB1 was an adequate design but was underpowered and overpriced compared to PS4. Yes the XB1X was a fantastic piece of hardware when compared to PS4 Pro but in fairness it was $100 more expensive and a year later. The XSX design isnt appealing to me at all, we will have to see how it holds up in the wild.
where are these "Microsoft is the undisputed hardware leader/"Sony has to catch up" notions coming from? I mean, Sony is literally an hardware company.

I'd get it if people said MS did a good job with the One X but everything else is just 😕

Well, I think people tend to overcomplicate comparisons between machines. They introduce various factors to try to weight each side and apply nuance to a situation that's really much more simple than that.

The fact is there are two consoles we've had for the last four years: X1X and the PS4 Pro. These are the two consoles people are comparing because this is where we are right now. One blows its predecessor out of the water and one was a modest improvement. You can be happy with both, but by virtue of existing the X1X gives a far stronger indication of what we can expect from Microsoft than what we can expect from Sony.

Sony has done very little to answer to Microsoft's hardware advancements this gen — mostly because they didn't have to. But as we move forward, PlayStation will have to answer to things accessibility, infrastructure, and backwards compatibility. I've been very forgiving towards PlayStation this gen under the assumption they would come out swinging with the PS5. If you're going to come late to the party, hopefully you have something to show for it.

Again, I've been a PlayStation fan for a long time. I've never even owned a Microsoft console. But I am waiting to see how my preferred platform makes up for all the things they didn't do this generation. I am hoping the reason there was so little hardware development on the PS4 is because it's coming big on the PS5. I am excited to see that. But I will be disappointed it we don't.

I feel like I've been waiting for tomorrow's news since 2016. So while I'm excited, my expectations are also high.

Baku

Jan 24, 2018
Sony know how to play the anticipation game. The hype is real y'all. I wonder how many will watch it live, not the best time for a stream, but at the same time a lot of people are quarantined though.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
I hope we see the machine (which I'm confident we will) and it's somewhat more interesting than a boring, black monolith that the Xbox is.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
That doesn't mean much, Microsoft could pay more for same items, manufacturers prob more willing to lower cost with Sony since they do sell twice as many current consoles
Xbox one BOM was higher than PS4, even when not including kinect. The SoC on xbox one was more expensive because of the ESRAM I believe. BOM is only one side of the story, whoever makes the best design decisions will have the best console, if the two systems are priced the same I mean.

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
I really really hope we have videos, or a long video. I dont wanna read a long article/interview

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
My last minute predictions:

- "Most exciting hardware" probably means really amazing new controller features + being able to pop in almost any disc from a past playstation generation. Yeah, the latter sounds like a pipe dream but that would legit make this an "exciting" piece of hardware. People are focusing on power, but I just think that's a given for all next gen hardware at this point.
- I think we'll see, at most, only small amounts of tech demos tomorrow. Maybe not even that. I wouldn't be surprised if they showed us side-by-side Spiderman comparisons.
- I'm doubtful we'd actually see the final box. We'll probably just see numbers on screen and talk about what they mean in terms of performance. Maybe the controller will be shown.
- There might not even talk about OS perks.
- I give it extremely low chance of talking about price. We're not there yet.

Just idle speculation.
I'm ignorant to some of these things, but why are people so doubtful we'll see a box? It seems weird they'd talk straight specs in a video without showing anything physical.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I'd say the opposite is more prevalent.

If all things were the same between the two of them, it would make comparisons quite simple. The thing is, they have entirely different situations from top to bottom in terms of viability, revenue, expectations, and so on and so forth.
I just don't think any of that matters to me as a consumer. I just care if I can buy the best machine possible. :/

B1ggRandall

Oct 27, 2017
I can see it happening in 10 years from now:

"Dad, was the PS5 and XSX gen console war really that horrible?"

"Yes, son. It was the most horrifying console war I've ever experienced...so...much...suffering. It all started 2 years prior to the actual war, when Mark Cerny revealed the existence of the PS5 in a Wired article. This was the moment when the train was set on fire. Fanboys gathered everywhere. But then...silence. Nothing more was revealed by Sony. People got impatient. When's new news coming out? But nothing.

After a while Microsoft started revealing the XSX, they lit their gunpowder, unveiled the physical console and shouted "12 TERAFLOPS". Soldiers in the Sony camp went confused, did they mean maybe 12TF CGN? It couldn't be RDNA flops, right? But they were wrong. Soldiers from the MS camp went in awe before their monster console, and they seemingly got confirmed specs from a leak that lead to many self-bans and sacrifices from insiders across the internet.

I am talking about the Github leak. Insiders in the known dismissed it as not being the full story, but people ignored them, called them names...and harassed them. The very heroes we cherished like Klee, Jason, Andrew Reiner, or Matt were turned into villains, "know-nothings" or "fake-insiders", before the mighty Github leak. They laughed at the measly 9.2TF the PS5 was supposed to have according to the Github leak and dismissed any reasoning and outside facts with "b-but Github!".

But the biggest suffering started at the end of 2019 until March 2020. I can still remember it like it was yesterday. Heated arguments, warnings and 3-day bans were handed out by mods and the Big-Avatar-Bet-Challenge started. Many forum members got their Avatars changed and made into laughing stocks...and for what?...Only because they guessed a date wrong?...These poor souls. And still nothing from Sony. People couldn't take the wait anymore. Their minds went insane.

During that the real world experience an economic crash and virus outbreak. So many people around the world had to self-quarantine or were ordered to work from home. And this lead to the single biggest rise in console war soldiers ever experienced. Social media channels where bombarded by fanboys. Every single post was analysed to its fullest. A simple bright smiling emoji? People started pixel counting the surface area of the smile to determine the RAM channel lanes. 2 Eyes? Maybe this gives a hint to the area of the 2 shader arrays of the chip? It was full on crazy mode.

And then on March 18, Mark Cerny unveiled the PS5. The stream started with him in a batht-"

"Yeah, yeah, fine Dad, you told me this story hundreds of times already. Can we just continue to play Horizon Zero Dawn 3? My PSVR Glasses battery is just going to waste if you don't come and help me know to tame that Thunderbird..."
Amazing! Lmaooo

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm ignorant to some of these things, but why are people so doubtful we'll see a box? It seems weird they'd talk straight specs in a video without showing anything physical.

It's not unprecedented that they hold back on box design. They've held back before. More news trickle as the year goes on is good!

I also just think they are looking to get the raw numbers Digital Foundry type material out of the way so when it's time to show games, there is no need to mix in boring numbers. Again, I have nothing to go off except my own intuition.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I suspect they will use existing games to show off certain features. Perhaps Death Stranding and Horizon ZD. Maybe they've been putting all that PC port work to PS5 ports too

Status
Not open for further replies.