• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Very simple basic math? PlayStation has handedly outsold Xbox around the world. Surely you've at some point seen this sales discrepancy mentioned. So if we take that as fact, then we can probably assume there are a lot more PS fans. More fans means a larger pool of people to potentially "like" a particular post on social media. And here we are.

I totally don't understand why social media differences keep being brought up when there's a clear difference in popularity between the 2 consoles. I'm lying, I do know why lol.
I don't know what you're implying. These tweets are on the English Twitter where Xbox is far more popular than the other markets, so I didn't think the difference would be that big. Not to mention that Xbox is the only one, up to this point, showing anything off. Which I thought meant higher social media numbers.

But go off, champ. Tell me how I feel

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Where is that PS fan who said that showing off anything during this pandemic is the worst thing they could do. Bet he changed his mind real quick.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Nice, about time we hear some juicy details about this machine! Hopefully it's a beast just like the XSX is, and offers impressive features like multi-resume as well!

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
I love to see people who never even touched any computer achitecture material talk about teraflops as if they were anime power level benchmarks. It's one of my favorite things in gamer universe.

Even the semantics of implying teraflops=power is wrong.

Jun 17, 2018
Looking forward to the reveal tomorrow. At this point though, we get what kind of spec it is likely to be and now I just need to know what games are coming and the price so I can start to think about where I want to play next gen.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
A good moment to bring this up again:

www.gamesradar.com

The best PS5 features still haven't been announced, according to PlayStation CEO Jim Ryan

"We haven’t announced the bigger differences yet""
Outside of the GPU/CPU/Memory/Memory Bandwidth, which all have improved from one gen to the next...the other one that also has improved but not that drastically is the SSD and the tech they have in that. I think they do have some special stuff in the system and from everything I have read the SSD speed they have is going to be best in class imho. Not sure what other "special" things it could have, but I think it is going to be one of the big things Cerny focuses on tomorrow.

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
I think the ps5 will be more powerful and microsoft wanted to get ahead and control the messaging around the cool stuff with the software, including back compatibility etc. So while Sony have the power, when they show off their back compatibility and system resume people will naturally think ms shower that stuff first.

But I think the consoles will be very close, weve already had arguments that 3 tf difference is nothing. If it's a 1tf difference it will be difficult to even see the difference, especially with variable frame rate tvs.

MS were able to cramp that much power because they have had the intention of releasing an affordable platform alongside the main one. Sony is not going that route, so they simply can not compete on that front. It is not a matter of them not being able to produce a better performing console; Rather, they need to strike a balance between cost and performance.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I can confirm that this Cerny thing has been in the works for a bit. They had been planning to do a PS5 thing at GDC. Also, soon we'll have confirmation of what I've been saying all along -- that both of these machines are extremely powerful -- and then maybe everyone here will stop tagging me in all these dumb next-gen console rumor posts. Teraflops be damned
SCOOPS and HYPE!!

ThinHatefulAmethystinepython-size_restricted.gif

What i've been saying for months.
Yup, teraflops will not dictate much this generation when the realistic GPU difference is going to be something around 1TF or within 10% of one another, and like Jason said, that's just boring to talk about when there's far more at play from both console manufacturers this time.

Let's be honest here. Microsoft are not that good at hype build-up and marketing, but their products are generally great.

Microsoft are using very american style of advertising which is not subtle at all and in your face which might be a bit off putting. I don't know how to explain it better, but just compare typical MS show and Sony shows and you will see the difference.
It's not just that. It's that Xbox doesn't have as big or loyal an audience, and they have not put the measures in place to become a globally relevant brand. No amount of good will and PR is going to get them there unless Xbox had the same journey in the industry as PlayStation did.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
MS were able to cramp that much power because they have had the intention of releasing an affordable platform alongside the main one. Sony is not going that route, so they simply can not compete on that front. It is not a matter of them not being able to produce a better performing console; Rather, they need to strike a balance between cost and performance.

Tbf you don't know if any of what you just said is true or not

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
jason bringing the hype

and destroying fanboys at the same time. what a ledge

this doesn't reveal anything... we have no evidence that one system will have black magic techniques the other doesn't that will make the weaker TF one out-perform the other. these tweets aren't doing anything to actually prove that the TF aren't going to count.

For all we know, the two systems are going to have similar tricks for SSDs and ray tracing etc, but one will have more TF and there's no evidence to suggest that it won't be the performance differentiator right now.

I guess I don't get people gleaning big info from people offering vague excitement tweets

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
SCOOPS and HYPE!!

ThinHatefulAmethystinepython-size_restricted.gif

Yup, teraflops will not dictate much this generation when the realistic GPU difference is going to be something around 1TF or within 10% of one another, and like Jason said, that's just boring to talk about when there's far more at play from both console manufacturers this time.

It's not just that. It's that Xbox doesn't have as big or loyal an audience, and they have not put the measures in place to become a globally relevant brand. No amount of good will and PR is going to get them there unless Xbox had the same journey in the industry as PlayStation did.
Yeah. I agree

Heretic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
With the world in the midst of a horrible pandemic, trying to reveal your new gaming hardware is currently incredibly foolish and shortsighted.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

This makes no sense unless you think Series X is going to cost more than $499, which would be a really stupid decision by Microsoft

Both will be $499

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty simple to comprehend. A day after the big blow out by Xbox, Sony announcing they're showing off their system tomorrow. What do you think that would look like to someone with no knowledge of what's being planned behind the scenes.
Again, you'd have to be pretty dumb to think that they could even put something like this together in this short amount of time, just from a logistical perspective.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I don't know what you're implying. These tweets are on the English Twitter where Xbox is far more popular than the other markets, so I didn't think the difference would be that big. Not to mention that Xbox is the only one, up to this point, showing anything off. Which I thought meant higher social media numbers.

There are also a lot of people fluent in English in Europe, where Sony is overwhelmingly dominant.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
WOW....that means....that means..............

Nothing

It means there's far more social media interest in the PS5 than there is the Xbox Series X. Whether that translates in to far more sales or not, remains to be seen, though I'd imagine both systems sell out at launch.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
With the world in the midst of a horrible pandemic, trying to reveal your new gaming hardware is currently incredibly foolish and shortsighted.

They aren't holding a live conference in a theater with a bunch of people ignoring safety protocols so I'm not sure I understand this.

TLT GAMING

Apr 9, 2018

What is there to understand? The Playstation has a far bigger userbase so it generates more chatter. Simple. Language has NOTHING to do with it. People see the Playstation symbol/logo and react.
Why is this still a conversation?

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As s primary Xbox player who's getting a XSX, I'm interested to hear the PS5 specs, but tbh I'm more interested in hearing about BC on PS5 and will it cover more than just PS4 games and if they will be enhanced beyond playing at their optimum resolution and framerate they were coded at. I haven't had a PlayStation since PS2 and will likely get a PS5 to play PS5 and PS4 exclusives. Would love to PS3 exclusives as well but I doubt they'll have BC for it.

STech

Sep 24, 2018
Holy shit, guys... holy shit.

Btw, where is Antonio Banderas?

I mean, where is Antonio Banderas???

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
For all you doom and gloomers acting like SIE is in trouble because they didn't tweet mindless PR when you wanted them to. We been keeping the receipts!!!

Why is this shocking to anyone? PS4 and PS in general is a much bigger World Wide brand than Xbox is. Sales alone of the PS4 vs. Xbox One is massive in favor of the PS4. Of course a tweet about this announcement is going to get more traction. Hell, even the showing of the PS5 logo was massive and that was a fucking logo.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
No fun allowed.

It's GDC week, all the specs are probably going out to large and indy developers. It's either this or have it all leaked in an uncontrolled way.

Oct 25, 2017
I love to see people who never even touched any computer achitecture material talk about teraflops as if they were anime power level benchmarks. It's one of my favorite things in gamer universe.

Even the semantics of implying teraflops=power is wrong.
This was inevitable when this generation started with people scrunching and comparing resolution numbers.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I can confirm that this Cerny thing has been in the works for a bit. They had been planning to do a PS5 thing at GDC. Also, soon we'll have confirmation of what I've been saying all along -- that both of these machines are extremely powerful -- and then maybe everyone here will stop tagging me in all these dumb next-gen console rumor posts. Teraflops be damned
Yeah, but what if my machine of choice is 0.2 TFLOPS weaker? How will I survive?

Banamy

Oct 27, 2017
What if I told you that both sony and microsoft employ world class architects to build systems that maximize efficiency for a certain price point.

Status
Not open for further replies.