• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
So tomorrow will probably mean the end of speculation about which of the consoles are more powerful or how close they actually are? I am good with that, I like that.

I doubt it. Even if the two consoles are mirrors of each other with minute differences, people are still going to console war. Don't forget, your average console warrior thinks having the most teraflops determines who has the strongest system, when it is never that simple.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
This will probably be a lot of technical discussion and probably not a reveal. I doubt we will actually see the console but I hope I'm wrong. Still, regardless I'm excited to see what he has to reveal.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Complaining about the timing of the reveal is weird to me. Anything that distracts us from the horribleness that is the 24/7 news cycle these days is a good thing imo.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
I expect the PS5 to be 9.2tf. That way I can't be disappointed.
Unless the console is 8tf in which case lmao

BestTestie

Banned
Jan 13, 2020
So now we went from PS5 news don't get that much attention, it's just the ERA Sony Bubble to but they could have even more attention?
Fact is, they are already doing really well by literally breaking attention records, wordwide and not just on ERA.
I never said it doesn't get attention. ERA is definitely an enthusiast bubble in terms of viewing these announcements and I just think Sony would be better off doing a traditional reveal. Simple as that.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Great! But... seems oddly reactive.
Maybe it seems that way but it's more likely a result of GDC being canceled. They mentioned in the Japanese Twitter post but this was suppose to be at GDC. People have been saying that Sony and Microsoft had to reveal specs before GDC for a while now because more devs were getting access to the dev kits. This wouldn't have even been a thought on people's minds if GDC had happened and it was announced in a panel.

SuperYlvis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i am Playstation diehard and i will be there day one for the console and the games (especially bloodborne 2) but if i'm to be honest, i don't think this will be more powerful than the series X.

But then, i also think that Sony is trying to hit the $399 price point like the PS4 instead of the 'everything and the kitchen sink' approach of the PS3.

So it may not be the most powerful machine next gen but it's trying to be the most 'balanced'.

We'll see tomorrow.
Hopefully not, it's time to move on to $499.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
To keep expectations in check, I wouldn't expect them to go into much detail into specific things like VRR and VRS, etc as to the capabilities of their GPU. Sony seems to like to give everyone some surface level explanations of capabilities, even if their hardware is capable of some of those juicy new features. At least in their big presentations that are going to be seen by a wide range of customers.

If they do a DF type thing though I would expect them to drop all that stuff. They could surprise me though and list off a bunch of those things but I don't expect them to. For example, they may talk about "intelligently rendering certain parts of a scene in more detail and others in less detail" instead of saying VRS. Or "support for a variety of display configurations" instead of VRR/AdaptiveSync.

Kotze282

Oct 27, 2017
There we go! Please be as powerful as XSX and please show the box and have it be as beautiful as what MS has shown.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
Dude, you actually called someone out for exactly this in the XSX thread. Troll post?
1UKU6QN.jpg
Thats the joke

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The timing certainly does make it seem like this is Sony reacting to MS taking advantage of Sony's radio silence and getting all of the (positive) headlines lately with the architecture reveal of XSX. That said, I'll be really interested to see just how similar the two systems are.

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
I'm the opposite. I want a deep dive on CPU/GPU/RAM, the SSD, the controller with its haptic feedback.

Price and Date can be revealed at the end of spring or early summer (June).

I didn't think about that, but that's something that would be a perfect fit for a GDC presentation, would it not. Gyro aiming (optional!) and the touchpad were criminally underused (controlling the O.W.L was great), IMO, so let's hope that the new triggers are great and get a lot of support.

And a snippet of footage or at least tech demos that are structured like gameplay sequences, please.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I doubt it. Even if the two consoles are mirrors of each other with minute differences, people are still going to console war. Don't forget, your average console warrior thinks having the most teraflops determines who has the strongest system, when it is never that simple.

True. Plus that if it's in Xbox Case I'm afraid plenty of devs still won't bother with extra power. Sadly with too many games since One X we've seen that they basically made it exactly like PS4 Pro and called it a day. Some devs truly took advantage of the hardware, Rockstar for instance.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Phil Spencer be sweating
Why? He seems to have completely turned the Xbox division and perception of them around.

There is no scenario where Sony will have a lower user base than Microsoft in global console numbers which is why they have pivoted to Gamepass which in itself is amazing.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
The timing certainly does make it seem like this is Sony reacting to MS taking advantage of Sony's radio silence and getting all of the (positive) headlines lately with the architecture reveal of XSX. That said, I'll be really interested to see just how similar the two systems are.

Or maybe Sony wanted MS to announce proprietary storage expansion options first LOL

Rat King

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Woooo!

Oh yeah!

Rolling around at the speed of sound
Got places to go, gotta follow my rainbow
Can't stick around, have to keep movin' on
Guess what lies ahead, only one way to find out
Must keep on movin' ahead
No time for guessin', follow my plan instead
Trusting in what you can't see
Take my lead, I'll set you free
Follow me - set me free - trust me
And we will escape from the city
I'll make it through, follow -
Follow me - set me free - trust me
And we will escape from the city
I'll make it through, prove it to you
Follow me

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Why? He seems to have completely turned the Xbox division and perception of them around.

There is no scenario where Sony will have a lower user base than Microsoft in global console numbers which is why they have pivoted to Gamepass which in itself is amazing.

100%

MS is looking to increase market share. They know what they will not lead global sales.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Looking how this fired up everything, even among corona shit, I don't see scenario where Sony has anything to fear. Brand is too strong.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Hopefully not, it's time to move on to $499.

time's gonna get tougher coming ahead...and although i (and maybe yourself) can afford even a $1000 console, sony is in the business to sell their console to the general audience, not the 'hardcore' only.

The lower price of launch PS4 (compared to Xbox one) and the very deliberate hardware choice of the PS4 Pro to make it $399 too means that this is the magic price point sony has determined that most consumer will be willing to part.

Again, we'll see though tomorrow. (though i don't think we'll get price and launch date, just technical deep dive).

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I never said it doesn't get attention. ERA is definitely an enthusiast bubble in terms of viewing these announcements and I just think Sony would be better off doing a traditional reveal. Simple as that.
This way makes sense to me for both manufacturers. Talk about the specs now to generate conversation and articles then do a proper reveal a bit further down the line and get even more column inches.

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I'm going to be very glad to end the speculation on performance (as long as we get a full rundown of specs).

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah, I think that argument may well run past launch. Both might be 'most powerful' in different ways. It might end up that different systems are better for different games depending on their performance profile, or better in different ways simultaneously.

Or....one might be clearly better than the other along most or all dimensions. We will see. But the more nebulous scenario seems quite possible at the moment.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
I hope this TF talk will be over soon, im tired of it. Just show me the launch games and Bloodborne at 4k/60 with back compat

Status
Not open for further replies.