• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Very happy for Suckerpunch, they so deserve it. The world they've crafted, and the research they've done on the period is just stellar. I hope we get more non western settings for games in general, so many rich unexplored cultures and histories to cover.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
Very happy for Sucker Punch
They make amazing games

Also I just checked for the hell of it and Ghost of Tsushima has a 9.2 user score on Metacritic with 9177 ratings
I don't know too much about Metacritic but that seems really good

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
Well done sucker punch. You deserve it! A shot out to Sony as well, thanks for letting developers flourish.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
A bit off topic, but how did those 40 copies of TLOU2 sell in terms of day one and legs?

Anyway, really happy for SP!
Sold the first 20 or so within a couple days, but then it took a couple weeks to sell the last 20. I don't work in a game store, mind you. I work in an electronics department of a retail store.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Crazy fun game, exactly what i needed after TLOU II.

hot-spring.original.jpg

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Great! Totally deserved. This is neck and neck with FF7R for my goty. So glad it is selling well. When I picked my copy up here in the US they only had a few left. Hope this is a trend worldwide as the game deserves it

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Japan's never really gotten a historical game made at that sort of budget, so it kind of makes sense. Also, I feel like the game's biggest handicap in the West has been open-world fatigue. Like, I'd say from what I've played so far, it's pretty similar to Spider-Man quality wise, and the Metacritic difference between the two is a few points, significant but not huge, but the tonal gap between the two game's receptions two years apart feels pretty intense. But the genre never really saturated things in the same way in Japan so maybe there's less of that.

OP
OP
Nightengale

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
but the tonal gap between the two game's receptions two years apart feels pretty intense. But the genre never really saturated things in the same way in Japan so maybe there's less of that.

How a game is recieved "tonally" has less to do with the game's mechanical qualities but rather the ability for a game to trick you into thinking it's better even if they're the same/similar.

A new IP that looks and plays like Spidey, even with all the same qualities as Marvel's Spidey will never have the legacy of decades of Peter Parker, Mary Jane, Doc Ock, etc. Also, Spidey - by virtue of how it traverses, competes with very few other open world games that's primarily on-foot or on-horses like AssCreed or Mordor/etc.