• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Do you want CDPRed to create new RPGs made for Pentium 3 and Voodoo 2? Because that would enable so much more gamers to experience their games...
/s

Some of us want games to evolve, to become larger, to test the limit of creativity and new hardware that power them.
The difference in hardware isn't that large though. On PC you can still run games pretty well with a GTX 750Ti..

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think the only cross gen game Sony did with PS4 was little big planet 3? I don't think we have to worry here.

RogerL

Oct 30, 2017

So Xbox will get:
- Environments with corridors, to stream next section of the game (or extreme pop in on old consoles)
- No games where DXR really matters, will only be eye candy (Forza) as XBox One S will struggle...
- Not really utilizing the CPU for anything else then increasing eye candy.

So, Microsofts new launch will resemble XBox One X / PS4 Pro release - more eye candy, higher resolution, higher frequency...
Have the mid term consoles really sold that well?

For me buying a new console means that games released for ~six years will really make use of it, if it is a soft launch I can play all the games released with only loosing eye candy (still at 1080p as 4k projectors are EXPENSIVE) there is no real reason to upgrade. Especially as eye candy some times makes multiplayer games more difficult...

That other console with games that only can be played there sounds interesting - it will build user base quickly!

When to upgrade?
After two years, costs about the same but will last for only four years...
After four years - cheaper now, games no longer work on previous generation, but there is also a mid life upgrade - even more expensive.
Yea, the mid life upgrade makes the most sense in this scenario?

Do you agree with this assessment?

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
The CPU is such a huge upgrade this gen and will allow for such deeper and more complicated games systems. We need exclusives that are designed for these CPU's, not just prettier graphics.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
The company that first brought a mid cycle refresh is the company you think is doing the gen cycle correct?

That must not have been too bad of an idea as the other company copied that mid gen refresh. Are you saying the mid gen refresh was a bad idea? So who should I trust to do the gen cycle correct, the company that originated a bad idea or the company that saw a bad idea and chose to copy it?

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
Thanks.

And do you think the Series X with 12TF can't do that ?

Just wait E3.

Surprising me with a gigantic graphical leap and making me emotional about it?

No, I don't think the Xbox Series X will be able to do that in the first one or two years, but that is also due to me having a PC that is more powerful than the Xbox Series X and I am not expecting Microsoft to basically make multiple versions of each game during the transition phase into the Series X that allows for the games that come during that period to be fundamentally different from the versions that will also play on the base 1.3 TF Xbox One.
Games are not going to have better A.I., destructible environment, more objects etc. on the Xbox Series X and then the Xbox One game will be the same game with non-destructible environment, fewer objects, dumber A.I. and so on.
All those things (and many more) need performance and to be worked on that is outside of the scale of having graphical setting sliders in games. As an example it wouldn't be possible to have a game like Gears 5, Control, Red Dead Redemption 2 running on the Xbox 360 with settings turned to low. You would have to go above and beyond to make it work.
If Microsoft manages to do that and put the work hours required to achieve that I would be genuinely impressed.

However I do think that (of course) Microsoft will eventually put out games on the Xbox Series X that do look as good as Gears 5 looks now (comparatively speaking) and make me wow at them.

So you see my point of me having hardware that is already better than what Microsoft is going to offer this year and knowing that they are doing a transitional phase for games during the first one or two years.
It kind of is the same with multiplatform PC games that I am playing right now. I played a lot of great looking games, but you can tell that all those great looking games in the past few years, even when being played on an absolute beast PC with RTX on are not really a gigantic leap so big that my jaw dropped.

On the other hand, and that was the point I was making about Playstation hopefully not doing that and my intentions were not to do a side blow to Microsoft, but rather looking forward to the magical PS5 exclusive games which we hopefully get to see during that time window where Microsoft is still going cross generational gaming. Seeing Uncharted 4, The Order 1886 (even though I hate that game besides the graphics) etc. were game changers. Those games didn't look like AC Black Flag which was on PS3 and PS4. Those games looked much much better.

And that was what I wanted to say with that. I don't want graphics to be 2x prettier, but I want a gigantic leap that takes the immersion factor to a whole new level. Those are the moments where you can't believe your eyes. Not moments where you think "oh this game does look really good".
I want "Oh I thought this wasn't possible !"

TL;DR: I can appreciate both approaches, but for me having a clear cut generation jump is more magical and I have to emphasize that my personal feelings about this matter have nothing to do with advising anyone on how to deal with strategic business matters, but rather it is more like my personal taste.

Cross gen games have been a thing for a while. Why would Sony/MS kill their last gen systems, especially after their mid gen refreshes? Sony has 100 million PS4's out there, do you think they aren't doing the same thing? Any word from them that they are not releasing games for the next 2 years on PS4?

Yes and there always will be. I expect there to be a lot of cross generation multiplatform games including the usual suspects like Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, Battlefield, Fifa, Madden and many others I can't think of right now. Sadly those games will be hold back the hardest, but it is understandable why they are doing it.

As far as your second/third question goes I don't know. I said "I hope" they are not doing the same as Microsoft for their exclusive games. We don't even know about PS5 exclusive games and if they are on PS4 aswell then. I know that I would be extremely disappointed if God of War 2, Horizon 2, Bloodborne 2, Uncharted 5 or any other PS exclusive game were to be announced as a PS4+PS5 game.

For multiplat games the reasons are obvious that they want to sell more copies of a game and a bigger install base of gamers does achieve that compared to a new system, which they probably didn't even know enough about years ago, but Sony also wants to sell the Hardware, which gets more attractive if you have exclusive games for that hardware.
The good thing about multiplat games for publishers/developers this time around is that they know the PS5 and Xbox Series X are both able to play PS4/XboxOne games via BC so lets say Elden Ring releases for Xbox One/PS4/PC in late 2020 then people can also play that on the PS5 and XBSX.

Also it could be that no real exclusive PS masterpieces come out during the launch window and we have to wait well into 2022 to see genuine next gen games that were developed from the ground up for PS5.

A lot of text that I wrote, but I wanted to have a more balanced explanation of my standpoint and I hope nobody interpreted more into my words than there actually was. Genuinely just hoping for no-compromise next generation experiences and not just with slightly prettier graphics, but the full package.

JayC3

bork bork
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Don't bump old threads, especially if the topic being discussed is already being talked about in another thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.