• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
Given the graveness of the crisis, death rate in some countries highest since WWII, how difficult the situation is for some small businesses that relied on traffic of people, all some of you care about is whether your service provider serves you well. How pathetic.

You got that from this thread? So, someone posts a topic and what? Don't respond? Is it possible this is one of many things to be concerned about? Low on the totem pole, sure -- but why assume that this is "all some of you care about"

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Another company that could use queue management that doesn't and instead uses horrible solution to fix a problem that they shouldn't have to that degree to begin with.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Is internet really that bad/slow in Europe?

I always thought they were ahead of the USA but maybe not

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
I already have seen some people complaining that it is disrespectful for Sony to do this to its consumers.

"While GOG and Epic give games for free and Microsoft offers the Game Pass for $1 during the quarantine, Sony slows down downloads speeds"

Kemono

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't complain about psn download speeds since at least 2 years. Always quite fast.

But I can understand their move. The last thing we need is an internet problem on a big scale.

So I'll need a few hours and not just minutes? Fine by me.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
If European speeds are anything like US PSN, they're going back to like dial-up level speeds or something.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
I've noticed, Doom Eternal update was very slow and Dirt Rally 2.0 new location today was too.

Not sure who was limiting the speed, my ISP or PSN since my ISP is reducing the speed during the day.

Dirt Rally 2.0 is also 70+ Gb on PS4 so if it really is one of the games of April hope you enjoy the slow download speed.

G_Zero

alt account
Banned
Mar 19, 2019
Never goes above 20 MB/s for me anyway. How much slower can they get before it's faster to walk to the store?

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Is internet really that bad/slow in Europe?

I always thought they were ahead of the USA but maybe not

Can only speak from my own experience (The Netherlands), but the network is pretty good over here. But just to illustrate: a big part of our country is now working from home and using videoconferencing; kids are at home following lessons with videoconferencing; etc. I think its mostly the extra traffic from individual sources (instead of mostly 'downloads') that is putting a load on the network. But so far I havent had much issues except the occasional slowdown.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
It takes forever to download stuff even at the office on a 10 gbps connection. How much slower can they go?! :D

Oct 27, 2017
Cable infrastructure for the internet isn't.

It's not like there's a physical limit on how much data you can squeeze through a cable. That shit get's developed and grows together with the internet exponentially as well. Besides the infrastructure is not Netflix's, Amazon's or Sony's problem but the ISP's.

It takes forever to download stuff even at the office on a 10 gbps connection. How much slower can they go?! :D

Not to derail the thread but how's DICE doing? Are you guys all on home office as well?

Aliand

Oct 28, 2017
I thought internet connections in Europe were great? Now we have Netflix, Youtube, and Sony lowering quality and download speeds to compensate in Europe but nowhere else in the world.
Internet connections are great but not meant to sustain the heavy workload posed by domestic access for remote working I think.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
It's not like there's a physical limit on how much data you can squeeze through a cable. That shit get's developed and grows together with the internet exponentially as well. Besides the infrastructure is not Netflix's, Amazon's or Sony's problem but the ISP's.

Not to derail the thread but how's DICE doing? Are you guys all on home office as well?

All of EA is working from home, as far as I am aware.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
There is a limit on what can go through a cable without doing really big investments in cable technology, which is a decade long process each time. And it is indeed not their problem, but they are being asked to help... That is what happening if you paid attention. It was either them helping or the EU suspending net neutrality and allowing the ISPs to determine which services get priority.

MidweekCoyote

Mar 23, 2018
This is odd. I was downloading NMS after a long time and while the first 9 gigs were done in 6-7 minutes, the last 2 have been crawling for 30 minutes now. Connected via ethernet, speed is 200/100.

I don't think I've ever had that happen before.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm currently not in the UK right now, which I'm glad about honestly with how the virus is being handled by people there, but I am honestly surprised by how many people here have slow psn speeds for downloads even before this change was put in place......I use a wired connection for my ps4 and xbox and I find my xbox is the one that freaks out on speeds and has more issues than my ps4, sometimes my xbox one just outright refuses to use anything near my full speeds while my ps4 would always use my full internet speed, again I'm in the UK so I'm not getting gigabit speeds to download with but when I got my new internet service a month before I came to the USA I would download a 80gb game in 30-45 mins on my ps4 while my xbox took way longer, only shitty thing on ps4 these days is the stupid copying phase after a download is done which can take forver.

g-m1n1

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
hahhahahahahahahah good one and very true!

I understand their concerns but come on really slowing down PSN even more will not make any impact in the overall stress on the network.....
PSN accounts for 3% of the worldwide traffic. It is huge, especially in Europe.

And almost the whole continent in on lockdown and working from home right now.
I have been for 1 week already, with loads of videoconferences and Netflix running on the TV (don't tell my boss).

I have a 500mb Fiber connection, didn't experience any problem for the moment though (even on PS4 with COD Warzone).

I think some companies are trying to save some €...

Kenstar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Earth
can't wait until they remove all free downloadable demo's until 100% of the workforce is back on the job
source.gif

dont forget to keep charging the same amount for psn tho sony

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
Is this a joke?

Im getting like 2-3 MB/s if im lucky on PSN with a 1GB connection and they want to slow it down even further?

Probably not. Most likely they will just lower the maximum bandwidth available to each user. Basically "taxing the rich.

So you should be fine, filthy pleb! :-D

Mr Punished

Oct 27, 2017
OUTER HEAVEN
Considering at best I'm maybe 10mbps now I doubt this will impact me. During normal congestion times (6pm-12am) my internet can be as slow as 500kbps. It has devolved to this level over the last few years being 4G only down here. I pay $200 a month for 500GB... $10 charged each additional gig over... I doubt this will impact me... I'm tired...