• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lucael

Oct 3, 2018
They're giving away something for free they didn't have to

Pretty lame to complain that their nice gesture isn't nice enough for you

Edit: Is any other publisher or developer giving away any free games?

"It's not much effort" and yet it's more effort than everyone else combined

Ubisoft has done this for weeks, with different kind of games. Sure they're not recent titles, this week Assassin's Creed 2 is for free, but at least they offer different genres.

Sony is even late on this, since the quarantine started a month ago in Europe and in two weeks many states are going to lift-up some lockdown measures at least in Europe. And again, I think every PlayStation 4 user already have played those games in the original and remastered versions. Even choosing one game out of three (for example Spider-Man, Horizon and God of War 2018) would have been better. And giving away Journey in the same week the game is released on PC... oh god.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
They could have done better than UC Collection for free. I mean, it's a years old remaster of games that probably every PlayStation user already played in the original version or in this one. Doesn't look too much an effort from Sony.

Honestly I just can't with this fucking place sometimes. What is wrong with some of you?

Ubisoft has done this for weeks, with different kind of games. Sure they're not recent titles, this week Assassin's Creed 2 is for free, but at least they offer different genres.

Sony is even late on this, since the quarantine started a month ago in Europe and in two weeks many states are going to lift-up some lockdown measures at least in Europe. And again, I think every PlayStation 4 user already have played those games in the original and remastered versions. Even choosing one game out of three (for example Spider-Man, Horizon and God of War 2018) would have been better. And giving away Journey in the same week the game is released on PC... oh god.

Journey's been out on PC for almost a year, what are you talking about?

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK

Giving away games on PC doesn't really matter to people who mainly play on PS4

A lot of people have played them before, but not everyone, and any game they pick to give away will be something a lot of people have played

Pretty sure Spiderman and God of War sold really well, so if anything more people probably have them than the Uncharted collection

Either way, it's a dick move to complain the free stuff you're getting isn't good enough

Lucael

Oct 3, 2018
Honestly I just can't with this fucking place sometimes. What is wrong with some of you?

Journey's been out on PC for almost a year, what are you talking about?

I was wrong, I thought Journey was coming on EGS this week, I'm sorry. Anyway I think we can agree that we still have the right to criticize something even if it's for free?

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Great move from Sony.
I own the games but still its nice of them. Three Uncharted games will entertain you for one week.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I was wrong, I thought Journey was coming on EGS this week, I'm sorry. Anyway I think we can agree that we still have the right to criticize something even if it's for free?

My frustration is that you act like because Ubisoft is doing something you deem better in your eyes, it means what Sony is doing is completely worthless. That isn't how the world works. Criticize all you want, I'm all for it, it just seems weird in this case.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Great move. They're investing quite a lot in terms of Covid-19 support, and they were also really pro-active in dealing with it early on too.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK

You have the right to do what you want, but they didn't have to do anything. If even a handful of people get some joy out of this, then that's a net positive

It's always going to be a bad look saying they should have given you more for free

If your nan gives you a birthday card and there is some money inside, it's always a dick move to say "come on nan, you could have given me more than this"

Also your Ubisoft example was they gave away Assassin's Creed II, also an ancient game everyone has played already, and that is somehow better? You're all over the place

Dec 31, 2017

Lol jesus christ. Get a life.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
But I already have Knack 2 from that time they had that price error in the store :(

But nonetheless, it's a good thing they're doing, kudos

Lucael

Oct 3, 2018
You have the right to do what you want, but they didn't have to do anything. If even a handful of people get some joy out of this, then that's a net positive

It's always going to be a bad look saying they should have given you more for free

If your nan gives you a birthday card and there is some money inside, it's always a dick move to say "come on nan, you could have given me more than this"

Also your Ubisoft example was they gave away Assassin's Creed II, also an ancient game everyone has played already, and that is somehow better? You're all over the place

If my nan got a lot of money and give me €20, I have all the right to complain: nothing would be better than charity. Sony is basically in the same position: the biggest player in the industry giving off remaster and German players are even getting Knack 2 instead, that's embarrassing.

AC2 is one of the many games Ubisoft is giving away in the last weeks and, again, of different genres. Sony took a month to take this decision when the lockdown in most countries is going to end in two weeks.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
This is really nice, while I have played them all and have them on discs(ps3), I don't mind playing these through again since they are all running at 60fps right? Seems like a good time revisiting them.

Jan 20, 2019
If my nan got a lot of money and give me €20, I have all the right to complain: nothing would be better than charity. Sony is basically in the same position: the biggest player in the industry giving off remaster and German players are even getting Knack 2 instead, that's embarrassing.

AC2 is one of the many games Ubisoft is giving away in the last weeks and, again, of different genres. Sony took a month to take this decision when the lockdown in most countries is going to end in two weeks.

Then go play does games, nobody is forcing you to pick anything.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK

Well, you do you I guess

This kind of attitude is probably going to stop companies from ever bothering to do anything nice

They're literally giving away products they still sell for free to help people out who may now have less money to spend on things as trivial as games, and you're mad they didn't give you more/better games

shenden

Oct 27, 2017

To be honest, you need to look at the bigger picture here than Sony "just releasing a bad choice of free games". They are also opening a 10 million fund for a lot of people/developers in need of money to stay in business. Is that also embarrassing?

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco

I'm sorry but if your nan got a lot of money you aren't entitled to it just because she's your nan. Nothing would be better than charity is a dumb thing to say unless you're well off already too. I can guarantee you Sony sees how many people have The Nathan Drake Collection and Journey compared to how many people have PS4s and it just makes sense to them to give it out because a lot of people probably still don't have them.

Also Ubisoft has given out AC2, Rayman Legends, and Child of Light. All of those are older last gen games. How exactly are they doing it better than Sony?

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Came in expecting complaints about the giveaway being too weak, wasn't disappointed.
This is some next level entitlement, they should've just done nothing instead of giving people something to complain about.

Lucael

Oct 3, 2018
User Banned (1 Day): Thread Derailment over multiple posts.
Well, you do you I guess

This kind of attitude is probably going to stop companies from ever bothering to do anything nice

They're literally giving away products they still sell for free to help people out who may now have less money to spend on things as trivial as games, and you're mad they didn't give you more/better games

Sony is the same company that, after PS3 launch, started to charge users to play online with PSN when they discovered that Microsoft business model with Xbox Live was working. Let's talk about something like that and have a company that force you to pay to play online when this is possibile on PC already and they did for free in the first place. So, are we still talking of "companies doing nice things"?

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017

How petty. Is this someone's throwaway account?

Ubi Soft's giveaways were PC only. Sony's literally the only console company giving a couple games away and you're complaining.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
They could have done better than UC Collection for free. I mean, it's a years old remaster of games that probably every PlayStation user already played in the original version or in this one. Doesn't look too much an effort from Sony.

...it's a free game they didn't have to give lol.
Also, plenty of people don't have Plus and now will be able to get this Uncharted collection.
I never played Journey so this is going to be awesome. It's one of those games that somehow i kept delaying so perfect timing.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Back when Sony announced $100 million for medical workers and creatives affected by Corona - is this $10 million part of that $100 million or is it a new batch of money pulled directly from the SIE budget?

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Sony is the same company that, after PS3 launch, started to charge users to play online with PSN when they discovered that Microsoft business model with Xbox Live was working. Let's talk about something like that and have a company that force you to pay to play online when this is possibile on PC already and they did for free in the first place. So, are we still talking of "companies doing nice things"?

Lol so now you pivot to this isn't a good move because almost 15 years ago Sony did something lame, which now literally everyone does

I mean, I agree paid online is shit, but that's a different argument

I can't believe how mad you are you were not given God of War for free lol

Oct 29, 2017
Fam' come on, Jesus Christ. They've made a 10m$ fund for indie developers and given out some free games and you're whinging because, presumably, you've played the collection and thus it's 'not much effort.'

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Lol so now you pivot to this isn't a good move because almost 15 years ago Sony did something lame, which now literally everyone does

Which is funny because I imagine more people probably played God of War than The Nathan Drake Collection. Not to mention The Nathan Drake Collection is 3 games which will keep people playing longer than a single God of War game.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017

Are you serious right now? They didn't have to offer anything to even give you the chance to criticize them for not offering 'better'. Jesus H Christ.

Thank you Sony. *Some* of us appreciate the gesture and I'm always down for another Uncharted run through.

OozeMan

Feb 21, 2018
As a PC gamer (mainly) it boggles my mind Sony/MS/Nintendo never give away "free to keep" games at all, as in EVER AT ALL! But I guess that's probably due to the monopolised storefront structure of the consoles.

Steam usually doesn't either but Origin/Uplay/EGS are a lot more generous in that regard. Competing storefronts ftw I guess.

Back to the topic, can't wait to redeem the Uncharted Collection and Journey. I've only played Uncharted 1&2 but felt burned-out by the time UC3 arrived. I also haven't tried Journey yet but loved my time with Abzu on the PC. All in all, this giveaway is a win-win for someone like me.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
As a PC gamer (mainly) it boggles my mind Sony/MS/Nintendo never give away "free to keep" games at all, as in EVER AT ALL! But I guess that's probably due to the monopolised storefront structure of the consoles.

Steam usually doesn't either but Origin/Uplay/EGS are a lot more generous in that regard. Competing storefronts ftw I guess.

Back to the topic, can't wait to redeem UC and Journey. I've only played UC1 and UC2 but felt burned-out by the time UC3 arrived. I also haven't tried Journey yet but loved my time with Abzu on the PC. All in all, this giveaway is a win-win for someone like me.
Sony has actually given away a few "free to keep" games this gen. Not to mention they have allowed Humble Bundles.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Which is funny because I imagine more people probably played God of War than The Nathan Drake Collection. Not to mention The Nathan Drake Collection is 3 games which will keep people playing longer than a single God of War game.

Plus, even if people have played Uncharted, they probably haven't played it for years

I played them on PS3 and I finished 3 in 2013 I think, so I'm happy to get this for free

More people probably have God of War/Spiderman on PS4, and on top of that, they probably played those games more recently than Uncharted

Zetran

Oct 25, 2017
I dare you to say the same thing regarding the 100M they previously commited and the 10M right now they about to gives to indies. Come on say it.

Lucael

Oct 3, 2018

If Sony made the online play for free at the beginning of PS3 and then they introduced the PSN, I can imagine they're going to have got in years a lot more money they need for the infrastructure. Now let's use that money to give to the players something more than remaster of years old game that everyone played.

You should stop to be thankful to companies and forget some anti-consumer strategies.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
If Sony made the online play for free at the beginning of PS3 and then they introduced the PSN, I can imagine they're going to have got in years a lot more money they need for the infrastructure. Now let's use that money to give to the players something more than remaster of years old game that everyone played.

You should stop to be thankful to companies and forget some anti-consumer strategies.
Here's some quick facts for you. Uncharted 2 is the highest selling game of the bunch with 7+ million sold on the PS3. The Nathan Drake Collection had 5+ million sales on PS4. There are over 100 million PS4 owners. It's the stupidest thing to possibly say that everyone had played these games and it's not even remotely close to being true.

Deleted member 24417

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

What an embarassing take and shitty human being you must be

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019

I'm all for shitting on all these companies for anti consumer garbage but it's telling that your response to be called out for being blatantly cynical about something good they're doing is to pivot to this. If we should call companies out for being horrible sacks of shit that are getting rich of literal slavery in places like China, we should also be capable of praising them when they do something like this indie fund. It's not hard, it doesn't change nor cancel out their shitty practices whatsoever.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Wait...they have? I've owned a PS4 for almost three years now but never came across those offerings. Are you sure those weren't exclusively for PSN members?
They gave away Garden Warfare during one of the PSX events. They've also had multiple free game price errors that they never revoked licenses to. The Surge, Knack 2, some other ones that I can't remember.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
Stupid question but...if I change region to Germany I won't be able to grab Knack 2, right?
I mean, that option just changes the language of the store.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Stupid question but...if I change region to Germany I won't be able to grab Knack 2, right?
I mean, that option just changes the language of the store.

You can make a German PSN account and have it on your PS4 and redeem Knack 2 and play on your main account I believe. Few hoops to go through but nothing too onerous.