• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
Personally I think it would be better to use the platform to support BLM, but this is better than not mentioning it

Good on Sony, this is probably the right decision.

However, there's an argument to be made for the need for some positive/fun news during times of distress. Regardless, the decision is a good one since it can also come off as tone deaf if not treated properly.

Yeah I think this is the easy solution, which is definitely better than them failing to address it adequately

Edit: delaying was without a doubt the only possible action given that the memorial is being held on the same day

Last edited:

killer7

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
giphy.gif

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017
They could've used this event as a platform to take a stand and say something meaningful, instead they just push it out of the way. So they're choosing to stay silent instead of using their reveal to send a message to millions of people watching? I know they said their stance on Twitter, but restating it at the start of this highly anticipated conference would've spoke loudly.
Would come across poorly. It would be about as genuine as the commercials with big corperations coming out to support Covid first line workers.

data

Oct 25, 2017
FOR NEW PAGE

The event was scheduled the same day as the memorial service for George Floyd, it had to be moved.
Wow I didn't expect that.

It "didn't" have to be moved but thankfully, Sony was willing to move it. I thought they moved it due to the surrounding protests to let them occupy the news cycle for change.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
They probably want to get a sense of where things are going before rescheduling. If trump gets his way, the violence is going to escalate soon

darkNemisiScloud

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 27, 2017
As much as I understand the delay it's a shame as this year has been rough for alot of people and something good on tv for once to cheer some others would of helped, next week it is I guess and hope everything in america gets better soon

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Sony's purpose for this showcase isn't to have fun though. Its a commercial, its to sell people on their product, and a time when people are overwhelmingly angry, and sad, and scared, is usually not a good time sell them shit.

Lol, had this discussion in another thread. Crazy people don't understand that. Gamers really are an insular bunch, even when well-meaning.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Disappointing. A lot of people around the world were looking forward to this event as a bit of a cheer up with everything else that's going on in the world.
So? A lot of people are pushing something bigger. It's just videos games. You'll be fine without some video game presentation to cheer you up. Social issues are far greater and people need to see this. Sony did the right thing.

addik

Oct 28, 2017
Good move by Sony. This was supposed to be something to perk up my week, but I wouldn't feel comfortable knowing that PS5 could steal some attention to the protests going on in the US and worldwide. Our eyes need to be on those because people in power are quivering.

I honestly doubt it's going to be pushed farther than a week. I can even see this being pushed for Sunday--a weekend for everyone.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
I'd be lying if I said I hadn't been looking forward to this and that this felt like a small light in a dark world right now.

But I get it. Things feel even more on fire right now than they have most of this year, and it's hard to think about much else. I just don't know where this goes. While things have escalated here in the US, it just feels like this has been going on so long and so many are happy to just ignore it. The president seems happy enough to hole up in a bunker and do nothing but the occasional angry threat. Where this goes, how it ends, and how long it takes, I have no idea anymore.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
DAMN.

nooooooo was so looking forward to this.

Impressive move. Didn't think they had the balls. I'm also sad that corporations like Sony and Target are handling this situation better than our political leaders.

Also, now i'm here 4theGamers rise up whiny posts

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
Probably the right call.

I'd imagine at this point Sony will wait till after the Last of Us Part II is released, yeah?

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
I'm not surprised in the slightest. I was one of the few saying this yesterday. Pheonix said it was silly and Sony wouldn't delay, but here we are. This is the right thing to do. This is the smart thing to do. Good on Sony!!!!!!!

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Had to be moved, but they kind of should've come out with a new date. I guess they had to move quickly though to set expectations. The world is such a fucking weird place in 2020.

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
Hope to hear about a new date soon and I totally get it but it sucks. In the end all I really want is a preorder for this since I want it day 1 so doesn't matter they delayed this event.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Lame but I figured it would happen. There are just more important things going on right now. Hope it's only a week or so at most but who knows.

Tommyguns

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Good move on their part. Totally understandable.

When do they re-schedule for? If they push it one week. That puts it at June 11th, one day before Part 2 Review embargo. I don't see that happening. Feels like too much news/articles sharing the spotlight.

Do they push this until after Part 2 releases?

Nayeon

Oct 29, 2017
The replies on that Twitter thread are truly something else.

The decision was absolutely correct and deserves a lot of respect (not only because of the memorial which is a huge deal but also after investing money on TV ads).