• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Snazz

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
I've still never even opened the box mine was delivered in, so I'm thinking of returning it to Game tomorrow for £89.99 and then just ordering one when it hits £30 or so. It's already £49.99 in most places.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Not surprising, it was a head scratcher that Sony used such an old version basically.

If you're going to go open source at least do it properly. Can't wait until we have a way to permanently replace the old internal build for a better one, hopefully while being able to keep the Classic's original UI.

I saw this on Reddit (though I'm having trouble finding it at the moment) but in preparation for Retroarch's inevitable arrival on the PS Classic someone made a PS Classic theme for Retroarch.

Also, I think I'm going to wait until a solution comes out that allows you to permanently replace the content on the PS Classic with Retroarch and the games I want to play.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
We are also working on the ability to sync roms and cores on to the console directly without the use of usb. This is something we can easily do right now but we are still looking into the best and safest way to restore a borked system. Until we are 100% confident on the restore method we will be sticking to USB for time being.

Getting there, just a bit more waiting

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So where is this thing at in regards to PSX emulation?

I would consider nabbing this at the reduced price point if it's a better experience than the PSTV, which I also recently hacked. I'm just wondering if modders have managed to have the existing games run at their proper NTSC speeds, if it's possible to play with a wireless DS4, if it supports higher resolutions/texture packs, etc.

If it ends up being easier to customize games and with a better interface than the PSTV, then I would consider it.

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
So where is this thing at in regards to PSX emulation?

I would consider nabbing this at the reduced price point if it's a better experience than the PSTV, which I also recently hacked. I'm just wondering if modders have managed to have the existing games run at their proper NTSC speeds, if it's possible to play with a wireless DS4, if it supports higher resolutions/texture packs, etc.

If it ends up being easier to customize games and with a better interface than the PSTV, then I would consider it.
You will have to wait until New Years Day for the next release of Bleemsync. It will have better performance of Retroarch. How much we don't know yet.
I'm just wondering if Sony will release an updated version later down the road. If they do I'm pretty sure it won't be more than software improvements...
I guess a Odroid XU4 should perform better though...

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
I wonder if Sony will ever attempt this again or make some sort of revision for a second batch. I assume they're done with it.

Some parts of the PS Classic (the aesthetics, packaging, the physical hardware) were fantastic. The actual emulation was the real problem for me. The library was a C+ when it easily could have been a B+. I never expected a home run (Crash, Tony Hawk, Spyro, etc) but I still can't reconcile while it doesn't have Twisted Metal 2 and some other easy gets.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if Sony will ever attempt this again or make some sort of revision for a second batch. I assume they're done with it.

Some parts of the PS Classic (the aesthetics, packaging, the physical hardware) were fantastic. The actual emulation was the real problem for me. The library was a C+ when it easily could have been a B+. I never expected a home run (Crash, Tony Hawk, Spyro, etc) but I still can't reconcile while it doesn't have Twisted Metal 2 and some other easy gets.
Yeah, I don't expect them to try again after this :/

This will just be a neat little collectible now.

I do wonder if they'll consider classics for PS4 or if this performance will dissuade them from that too. Not that I'm saying that correlation is accurate.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco

I can only hope this at least teaches the executives at Sony that signed off on this that they can't do a half-assed job launching the PS5.

This was supposed to be basically an impulse buy at $100 and practically no one was buying it.

Imagine when it's supposed to be something that your company will depend on for the next 5-10 years.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Christmas has come and I got one from the wife.

Not gonna lie, I'm glad I have it. Looks nice next to the NES and SNES Classics in the Man Cave.

I'm going to wait a while longer on the modding front though, but I will mod it, just like I did to the others.

MikeE21286

Oct 27, 2017
I ended up being able to grab one for about $35 just now at Target. Interested to see where all the hacking goes. Gotta catch up with what's possible now lol

just_one

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
really need some feedback on this.

got a deal for PS Classic for 60€.

is the hacking easy like it was on Classic NES?

can i play any PS1 game? let me know please , any feedback is good.

tata toothy

Dec 24, 2017
Would the emulation really bother me that much if I expect 3D games from the 90s to look like shit anyway?

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Getting there, just a bit more waiting
This is what I'm waiting for really.

My ideal would probably be a hybrid of the two. Being able to actually update the Emulator and games on the system itself, whilst also having a USB connected for additional games to avoid the storage limitations of having only the built-in storage.

And all of it wrapped up in a nice idiot-proof GUI like Hakchi.

KTroopA

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
The PSC does not have bluetooth afaik? So retroarch will still need wired connections unless you can use Bluetooth usb adapters. Anyone know if this works with RA in general?

Snazz

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
I still can't believe the PSC doesn't have bluetooth. Why didn't anyone at Sony think 'hey since we're shipping with these short-corded no-dualshock controllers, wouldn't it be nice if we gave users the option to use their DS4 controllers from the PS4 over bluetooth?'

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
I need to get a new flash drive for this, but just curious, are other controllers working for this yet? I saw someone got an HRAP to work on retroarch. Just wondering if any wired ps4 controllers might work... i may end up buying the 8bitdo dongle if not.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I can only hope this at least teaches the executives at Sony that signed off on this that they can't do a half-assed job launching the PS5.

This was supposed to be basically an impulse buy at $100 and practically no one was buying it.

Imagine when it's supposed to be something that your company will depend on for the next 5-10 years.

$100 is NOT an impulse buy.

$60 like the NES classic, maybe. But thats probably the limit. Only reason the SNES did well at $80 is because people remembered how good the NES was so they trusted Nintendo (that and of course, the scalpers).

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I hope they can make it happen to enable usb network devices, via lan or wlan I don't really care. I don't want to copy games over to a USB stick when a big library is already on a nas.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
I need to get a new flash drive for this, but just curious, are other controllers working for this yet? I saw someone got an HRAP to work on retroarch. Just wondering if any wired ps4 controllers might work... i may end up buying the 8bitdo dongle if not.

If you use Retroarch, you can use a DS3 or a DS4 natively.

just_one

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
so let me get this straight , if i buy a 8bitdo adaptor and plug it in the usb port of the PS Classic i can play with my PS4 controller and with 2 players?

is this right?

replicantUK

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Given the amount of heavy discounting going on in the UK I guess it hasn't been a success.

Considering the quality of the product I'm not really surprised.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Do you think Sony were going to release Dualshock controllers that would upload extra games onto the Classic?
No, technically possible, but I don't think they were ever going to do it. Something like that is just opening the door for exploits (obviously too late now). I think if anything, they would release a volume 2, whole new console with new games and controllers, but that's probably not going to happen now that it sold so poorly.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I had a PS Classic since launch day and paid full price, but I remembered that I'm still within the price protection period at Best Buy (Canada). Got $55 bucks back with nothing but my email receipt.