• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, enough about the hacks.... how do you beat Akuma in Puzzle Fighter? I can't do it! I breezed through the first 8 fights but he just keeps kicking my ass.
4f3d47ba2d0d300a3ddea00616be679423cf0e20016efc94691d0f0e2d5868bc_1.jpg

(I reached him today and he kicked my ass too)

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I'm thinking about returning the Switch Pro Controller I got a couple of weeks ago and getting this in exchange. I'm kind of curious to try it out for myself, and it'll look cool sitting on the entertainment center. And of course, I'm sure the thing'll be blown wide open in due time.

Also, y'all have me wanting to give some love to my PSP Go. Poor thing's been neglected.

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
Some of these games look so bad on my 4K TV that I wonder if I have a faulty model. Ridge Racer 4, for instance, has a screen door effect worse than any PSVR game on top of the other emulation issues. The game looked better in DF's video when viewed on the same TV (albeit more blurry).

SSJTrunks

Nov 2, 2017
I don't know much about these "mini" consoles so perhaps this is common, but is it true that this thing uses PCSX?

Are people not mad at Sony for taking a free emulator that was created by hackers and charging for it? Is it a convenience thing, so you don't need to go through the effort yourself? Is it because Sony have optimised it with their hardware or something, making it flawless? Is it an attempt to get people that don't know any better to buy it?

To me it just sounds lazy and an attempt to make a quick buck. I expected Sony to have built this thing themselves from scratch, software and hardware.

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know much about these "mini" consoles so perhaps this is common, but is it true that this thing uses PCSX?

Are people not mad at Sony for taking a free emulator that was created by hackers and charging for it? Is it a convenience thing, so you don't need to go through the effort yourself? Is it because Sony have optimised it with their hardware or something, making it flawless? Is it an attempt to get people that don't know any better to buy it?

To me it just sounds lazy and an attempt to make a quick buck. I expected Sony to have built this thing themselves from scratch, software and hardware.

There's nothing wrong with using open source software in a product you sell when it's licensed for such use. Do you also get mad at the amount of "free" software they used in the PS4? There's no point in re-inventing the wheel if the ground work has already been done.

What is a problem is that PCSX just isn't very good at accurate emulation, and instead of thinking they should maybe spend some more time on ensuring the experience people are going to get is as close to original hardware as possible they just released the thing as it is.

Nov 4, 2017
Ok so this device is begging to be hacked. It needs

1) DS4 support
2) UI needs to be nuked and replaced
3) Proper classics to be added. Tomb raider, Wipeout XL etc
4) Proper upscale and filter options
5) USB expanded storage.

Im kidding on the last one o_O

Come on haxor bois do your thing.

/Cracks whip

If they can support 1-4 then i might cave and purchase. I'm a sucker for CRT filters and scanlines, i like to play games the way i remember them. I'm interested in a PS1 emulation station as even though i can play any PS1 game i throw at my PC, i'm at the point now where i just wanna come home and sit on my sofa and play these games on my TV, the way i did when i was a kid. Not alt+tabbing every few minutes and tinkering with settings and being anxious that somethings gonna crash.

That's why i hacked my Wii U to play Gamecube games natively the other day, got tired of farting about with the jankiness of Dolphin.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
image0.jpg

The UI doesn't break with more than 20 games, so good news.

Bennibop

Oct 30, 2017
Cant wait all I want is rid of Rainbow 6 and to add THPS2 on my classic!

And to switch Destruction Derby with Derby 2

Oct 27, 2017
Excited. Haven't touched it since launch day and have no desire to return until I can get CTR and Chocobo's Dungeon 2 on there (nostalgia okay???). Although Intelligent Qube kicks ass.

SSJTrunks

Nov 2, 2017
There's nothing wrong with using open source software in a product you sell when it's licensed for such use. Do you also get mad at the amount of "free" software they used in the PS4? There's no point in re-inventing the wheel if the ground work has already been done.

What is a problem is that PCSX just isn't very good at accurate emulation, and instead of thinking they should maybe spend some more time on ensuring the experience people are going to get is as close to original hardware as possible they just released the thing as it is.

I wasn't aware this was common to be honest! Surely the people that know best how to run PS1 games would be Sony themselves, and that they'd develop their own software for it. I take it with PCSX being open source that the guys who made it aren't getting any money from Sony using their work? Bummer!

Deleted member 1726

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I have a CFW PS3 and my collection old PS1 games is it worth picking this up?

I am so undecided, part of me wants it for the nostalgia alone, but part of me thinks the emulation is pants is a better experience on my PS3 with my original games.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I have a CFW PS3 and my collection old PS1 games is it worth picking this up?

I am so undecided, part of me wants it for the nostalgia alone, but part of me thinks the emulation is pants is a better experience on my PS3 with my original games.

As of yet your PS3 still is the better option if the goal is accurate emulation.

The PS Classic is more of a little novelty item, it looks great and it's fun to have a mini PS1 when you grew with it back then, but it plays PS1 games just OK, not great.

If someone puts together a nice UI for the hack and it doesn't require any soldering I'm on board.

I like the UI overall, actually.

If people are able to add more options like scanlines and such, plus maybe add a nice background music, I'd be totally fine with that.

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
I really hope modders FIX the PS Classic, and not just open it up, throw Retroarch on there and call it a day. I love the mini consoles for being completely pick up and play experiences without any tinkering. Complete with UI and retro presentation.

I love Retroarch on PC, but I'm not looking for that experience on mini consoles.

Shadowrun

Oct 26, 2017
I really hope modders FIX the PS Classic, and not just open it up, throw Retroarch on there and call it a day. I love the mini consoles for being completely pick up and play experiences without any tinkering. Complete with UI and retro presentation.

I love Retroarch on PC, but I'm not looking for that experience on mini consoles.

It depends on what you mean by "fix." If there's a newer version of this emulator that Sony did not use, it'll may be doable. Otherwise, I think the best you can hope for is the ability to replace the 50hz versions and an unlocking of the hidden emulator settings menu, which has some settings you can tweak to improve performance.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It depends on what you mean by "fix." If there's a newer version of this emulator that Sony did not use, it'll may be doable. Otherwise, I think the best you can hope for is the ability to replace the 50hz versions and an unlocking of the hidden emulator settings menu, which has some settings you can tweak to improve performance.

The emulator (PCSX ReARMed) has issues, not just Sony's build.

The best we can hope for is that the emulator code gets improved by the community.

That will take time, if it happens at all.

I'm hoping that this hack gets the emulator devs interested in focusing on this emulator.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how he managed to cram TPHS in there and keep all the other game without external storage.

EDIT: Ah there's more than 700Mb left in the thing so it probably just fits, that's very borderline though.
Huh? Doesn't the classic have 7GB of unused memory?

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
That doesn't take into account the emulator and other data. I think someone said that there's less than a gigabyte of free space once everything aside from the games themselves is factored in.

I might have misunderstood though.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Apparently not, and I scratched that part in my OP when I learned that this morning. My initial assumptions were incorrect.

The game all are likely in their uncompressed .bin/.cue format.

However, once you delete the games you don't actually want (and I have a lot of those in there) you will end up with some decent jiggle room for good stuff.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Apparently not, and I scratched that part in my OP when I learned that this morning. My initial assumptions were incorrect.

The game all are likely in their uncompressed .bin/.cue format.

However, once you delete the games you don't actually want (and I have a lot of those in there) you will end up with some decent jiggle room for good stuff.
Compression may also be possible, it'll be interesting to see how the interface for hacking this winds up

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
As long as I can get the stock games I don't like off and get my stuff on there I'm golden. Worth the 100 bucks for me honestly. I love this little thing. A shame modders have to fix it but thems the breaks I guess.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Compression is indeed possible due to PCSX being able to read pbp files. If you compress every game, that's when you get 8GB of free space.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Twisted Metal 1 becomes Twisted Metal 2
Destruction Derby becomes Driver
Coolboarders 2 becomes THPS2

As for me:

First thing to do - Delete all PAL games --- Only to replace Tekken 3 and Resident Evil:DC for their NTSC counterparts.

As for the NTSC games, bye bye Syphon Filter.

Puzzle Fighter - Replaced by Pocket Fighter or Street Fighter Alpha 3
Mr. Driller - Still not sure if I keep or delete
Twisted Metal - Replaced by Twisted Metal 2
Persona - Replaced by Persona 2

My 'must-have' list for the base HW. Entirely depends on the space left I'll have to play with.

-Vanguard Bandits
-Castlevania SOTN
-Herc's Adventures
-Skullmonkeys
-Crash bandicoot 1-2-3
-Resident Evil 2-3
-TPHS (1...yeah I know, but it's my fav)
-Parasite Eve (Or Xenogears)
-Final Fantasy Tactics

Then USB drive, is where it gets fun!

-EVERYTHING ELSE! (FFVIII-IX, Lunar/2, Parasite Eve 2, etc etc etc. all the big ass JRPGs we got that gen.)

Last edited: