• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Choosing Persona Revelation over Suikoden and Vagrant Story. Nicely done Sony.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
Well it means that at one point Sony considered a much better lineup than what it shipped with. Maybe more games as well.
It's not their decision in many cases. After all 3rd parties own the rights and can decline to have their games on that system. Some examples: THPS license expired for Activision recently. Gran Turismo features tons of licensed cars so it wouldn't be on that collection anyway. I don't even know if EA owns the rights to that Harry Potter game. Often it comes down to what licenses you're able to get and make the best of it.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I understand. I dont think we can say for sure that all of these games were seriously considered to be included or if they were there just for testing. Could be several of reasons why the games didnt make it, but the most likely ones are that they werent considered in the first place or licensing issues.

Not all of the games for sure but I don't think they had to test using more than a dozen games. If it was only a few entries I'd have agree but with that much it's likely that they really expected a different lineup at one time, but had to settle with different stuff.

Or it's just PCSX leftover.

It's not their decision in many cases. After all 3rd parties own the rights and can decline to have their games on that system. Some examples: THPS license expired for Activision recently. Gran Turismo features tons of licensed cars so it wouldn't be on that collection anyway. I don't even know if EA owns the rights to that Harry Potter game. Often it comes down to what licenses you're able to get and make the best of it.

Yeah but what about all of those games that were only depending on the will of some publishers, like Tomb Raider or Crash Bandicoot.

Nov 27, 2017
California
Tony fucking hawk, that would've been hype.

I actually loved the first Harry Potter game on PS1, it was amazing but again I was like 10 lol

Medievil 1 not being on the system is a joke, not everyone is buying the remake

Tomb raider 1 I'm surprised because the new ones are out there.

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I understand. I dont think we can say for sure that all of these games were seriously considered to be included or if they were there just for testing. Could be several of reasons why the games didnt make it, but the most likely ones are that they werent considered in the first place or licensing issues.

I dont think anyone said that here. People have been complaining about the games being included a long time ago, so thats old news. The premise of the thread was that more games were included, but not enabled. It turned out that this wasnt the case after all, so theres not really anything new to complain about in that regards.
I agree, its the same complaints and I feel like it falls in line here. Its just seeing a list of tested games for whatever reasons means they considered it. Thats a carefully chosen list lol

WorldofMiku

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah but what about all of those games that were only depending on the will of some publishers, like Tomb Raider or Crash Bandicoot.
Tomb Raider I get.
Crash? No. Activision doesn't own Crash PS1 games. Sony is free to publish these PS1 games as they like. The only reason they refused to do this is to not upset the remake sales for Activision.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Not all of the games for sure but I don't think they had to test using more than a dozen games. If it was only a few entries I'd have agree but with that much it's likely that they really expected a different lineup at one time, but had to settle with different stuff.

Or it's just PCSX leftover.

I mean, if you were in Activision's shoes, would you put out an old version of a new game that you're actively selling, for likely less profit? I wouldn't. The case could've been argued for CTR, but with the rumors it sounds like that remake is also in the works. Maybe Crash Bash though.

Tomb Raider is a huge omission though. Replace Rainbow Six with that and the value would've improved significantly.

Tomb Raider I get.
Crash? No. Activision doesn't own Crash PS1 games. Sony is free to publish these PS1 games as they like. The only reason they refused to do this is to not upset the remake sales for Activision.

I don't think that's how it works. Activision still has a say in the PS1 versions, hence why they were never available on NA Vita.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tomb Raider I get.

As far as I know Activision owns the right to all Crash Bandicoot games...?

I mean, if you were in Activision's shoes, would you put out an old version of a new game that you're actively selling, for likely less profit? I wouldn't. The case could've been argued for CTR, but with the rumors it sounds like that remake is also in the works. Maybe Crash Bash though.

Tomb Raider is a huge omission though. Replace Rainbow Six with that and the value would've improved significantly.

idk, Square Enix didn't care about that on SNES Mini. But I guess Activision does.
Still, I'm pretty sure you can find more iconic PS1 games that didn't get a recent port/remake that would be miles better than a lot of games that are included in the PSC.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
People posted with knowledge of the first info they got. Nothing embarrasing about that. And if this place is so "embarrassing" to you, you're free to leave you know.
Simmer down badass, theres some cool folk around here to have discussions with. Jumping to conclusions is always stupid.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't surprising at all. Sony didn't skip out on those glaring omissions because they're brain dead enough to not realise those were perfect games for the system, but because something got in the way.

What would be really interesting is if we knew whether it was licensing/legal reasons, or emulation issues. I suspect many will be because of the latter. More resource should have been put in to resolving those issues if that's the case. This feels like a rushed product,

Oct 25, 2017
Mega...

Man......

Legends was on the console....??

dfaTFNg.gif

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
Sure, I personally don't understand why MediEvil wasn't on the device but there can be some plausible reasons. Obviously it's in their best interest to feature the best possible games, so something must've made it not feasible. We don't know the original contracts after all. It's not like they rolled a dice and randomly put no thought into it... we can't disprove that though ;)

I actually loved the first Harry Potter game on PS1, it was amazing but again I was like 10 lol
It was a really good game though. Did you know that the game's soundtrack was composed by none other than Jeremy Soule (The Elder Scrolls/Guild Wars/KOTOR)?

WorldofMiku

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean that's the same thing, Sony can't publish those games if they can't use the IP.
Alright, I'm not going down that route again. But even if that is true and Acti has stopped Sony from releasing the originals...

Who stopped Sony releasing MediEvil and Tomba?

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Simmer down badass, theres some cool folk around here to have discussions with. Jumping to conclusions is always stupid.
You posted your reaction on a forum. People react. That's how it works. Nothing badass about that.

Like I said, people go off on the first info they have. No need to play the first comments down just because the person tweeting clarified his tweet later.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
idk, Square Enix didn't care about that on SNES Mini. But I guess Activision does.
Still, I'm pretty sure you can find more iconic PS1 games that didn't get a recent port/remake that would be miles better than a lot of games that are included in the PSC.
Square Enix put FF6 on the SNES mini though? Also Super Mario RPG?

The only noticeable omission is Chrono Trigger, which will almost certainly be ok Switch within a year.

WorldofMiku

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kula World. I loved that game as a kid. It really hurts that this list didn't make it.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017

The only noticeable omission is Chrono Trigger, which will almost certainly be ok Switch within a year.
Pretty sure they're talking about Secret of Mana, which had a remake like 5 months later. It's a valid counterpoint.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Well yeah. That's what I said. Square Enix didn't care about the fact that they're releasing ports of their games and still put efforts in SNES Mini.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
I think people are naive if they think there were licensing issues Sony couldn't solve. Sony is one of the biggest video game companies out there and has always had a good relationship with third parties. Also, most of those games in the new list were available on PS3 too meaning that companies surely didn't bother to have them on PS Classics. More likely there were technical issues.

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
You posted your reaction on a forum. People react. That's how it works. Nothing badass about that.

Like I said, people go off on the first info they have. No need to play the first comments down just because the person tweeting clarified his tweet later.

People need to stop and apply common sense before reacting with the usual outrage. When someone is claiming the device with <16GB storage has all the games you could have ever wanted sitting unused on the device then someone might be misinterpreting the information they're reporting...

Disappointed that Vib-Ribbon is not even on the list of tested games. I've not forgotten you promised that game for PS4 Shawn Layden over 4 years ago!.

angel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cant believe Rainbow 6 almost didnt make it, thank god we got that instead of vagrant story.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca

Look at that like bar. That's what happens when you title your video "20 Legendary Games" and then rope in the black void of personality that is Sid Become sHuman to sell each game with some marketing jargon.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Choosing Persona Revelation over Suikoden and Vagrant Story. Nicely done Sony.
I don't think we should be viewing any game on this list as something that Sony could have chosen if they wanted to, except for the Sony-published, non-licensed games.

It's not clear whether Sony asked Square Enix/Activision about those games, and if they did it's also not clear what their response was.

Tomb Raider I get.
Activision owns Crash as a character. Sony can't just re-publish old games that use him however and whenever they please - those PSOne licenses are not perpetual rights (which is why Sony had to re-obtain them for the PSOne Classics range and then re-obtain them again for the same games on Vita).

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious if they just assumed people weren't going to mess around with the OS and find stuff like this. If I recall, the NES mini developers left a secret message in the system specifically for hackers because they knew they were coming.

Edit: found the message

"This is the hanafuda captain speaking. Launching emulation in 3...2...1. Many efforts, tears and countless hours have been put into this jewel. So, please keep this place tidied up and don't break everything! Cheers, the hanafuda captain."

Oct 25, 2017
They could have used some of these instead some of the official ones on the list.

Hell, they could havd added to the initial 20.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I don't think we should be viewing any game on this list as something that Sony could have chosen if they wanted to, except for the Sony-published, non-licensed games.

I bet people would have more fun with Legend of Dragoon over the first Persona.

I'd almost take Beyond the Beyond over the US ver. of the original Persona 1.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
as someone who never had a playstation that list seems much more appealing.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I see at least 10 games in that list that I'd love to play. Damn, if all of them were actually available this would've been very much worth it even at $120 or a little bit higher.