• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
sony isn't as in right now as older Nintendo consoles but there are still plenty of fans who would buy one to collect had it not been a plastic pile of shit.

Yeah, in my eyes this could have been a success. As huge as the Nintendo ones? Maybe? Maybe not, but he definitely would have been better had they not completely screwed the pooch on the execution. Wow.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But I was told the average consumer is stupid and doesn't care about emulation quality and therefore would still buy it en masse.

In reality since we knew about the shitshow that is this thing it was obvious it'd fail.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Indeed, but we're talking about nostalgia.

If we're talking about influence, etc. PSX wins by far imo but hey that's debatable. And NES and SNES are very easily emulatable for years (decades) now so of course they're emulated the most because it's so easy, not because they're better.

Anyway, why are people so upset when I tell them nostalgia (potential) is higher for PSX than most nintendo systems? Again, logic. More units sold = more nostalgia potential.
Because, again, units sold isn't an absolute measure of culture. And thus not an airtight argument for nostalgia. This isn't really hard to follow.

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
Now it's looking like a Boxing Day price drop from Sony rather than some retailers desperately trying to get the thing out of their sight, it's a final kick in the teeth to that one kid who had to look happy at receiving one of these yesterday.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's also £50 on Amazon? Woof, that there is a massive failure and a sign that the PS brand is not infallible as some had led us to believe prior to the launch of this thing.

Mister X

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Because, again, units sold isn't an absolute measure of culture. And thus not an airtight argument for nostalgia. This isn't really hard to follow.
Of course there are more factors, but I would argue units sold is the most important factor when measuring nostalgia potential.

And it may seem on ERA and game forums that nostalgia for NES, SNES is higher but the internet is not the real world of course.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Bad emulation though.

NES and SNES roms are alos very small files and very easy for testing purposes etc.
And are played by millions and millions more people.

I'm willing to bet more people have played an NES game than played a PS1 game. More people have probably even played SMB1 than a PS1 game tbh.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
But I was told the average consumer is stupid and doesn't care about emulation quality and therefore would still buy it en masse.

In reality since we knew about the shitshow that is this thing it was obvious it'd fail.

I'm pretty sure the debacle of this product has little to do with emulation quality.

It might simply be that the mainstream audience doesn't have much concentrated on nostalgia on PS1 per se or doesn't feel like spending so much for such a bad selection of games.

Mister X

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
And are played by millions and millions more people.

I'm willing to bet more people have played an NES game than played a PS1 game. More people have probably even played SMB1 than a PS1 game tbh.
SMB1? Could be.

But that's all speculation of course.

These are the facts: PSX destroyed NES, SNES and N64 in global sales.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure the debacle of this product has little to do with emulation quality.

It might simply be that the mainstream audience doesn't have much concentrated on nostalgia on PS1 per se or doesn't feel like spending so much for such a bad selection of games.

Nah it definitely has a lot to do with the terrible word of mouth that comes in big part because of the emulation quality.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bad emulation though.

NES and SNES roms are alos very small files and very easy for testing purposes etc.
are you just going to ignore the fact that people get nostalgic for old things? i'll let you decide if NES makes people more nostalgic or PS1.

ok, then just say this. no kne would disagree, and i know how much you love bringing up ps1's sales at random. just don't relate it to nostalgia.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
SMB1? Could be.

Why do you say destroyed and not just outsold?
But what does it matter anyway, the Classic did worse than the Minis in comparison, it's objectively the worse product and is already discounted. The Minis "destroyed" the Classic.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Nah it definitely has a lot to do with the terrible word of mouth that comes in big part because of the emulation quality.

The audience towards which the product is targeted doesn't even know what "emulation" is, trust me. I've worked with retailing and the average consumers doesn't really understand such things. Not saying it wasn't a factor among a more dedicated audience but it definitely wasn't among the mainstream.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
SMB1? Could be.

And yet NES and SNES seem to be destroying PlayStation in Classic sales. Which probably makes the better argument whose nostalgia is actually stronger. And supports the reasonings I laid out earlier (clones, emulation, cultural zeitgeist) for why simple official sales figures not being the best measure for that.

Mister X

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Why do you say destroyed and not just outsold?
But what does it matter anyway, the Classic did worse than the Minis in comparison, it's objectively the worse product and is already discounted. The Minis "destroyed" the Classic.
Because Playstation humiliated Nintendo and destroyed the competition, this seems to still be a weak spot for nintendo fanboys to admit. Buy hey if you're not a nintendo fanboy then why does my (accurate) choice of words bother you?

And yes the PSX classic sucks. I have no trouble looking at the truth.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
For those calling it a failure it's still the 35th best selling gaming item on Amazon UK for 2018, just behind Far Cry 5 and ahead of Detroit and Monster Hunter World. The sales are likely a consequence of high production based on the pre-orders which reduced on release rather than "nobody wants it".

Makes me worry that instead of learning from this experience Sony will use this as an example of why BC isn't important. I mean, they probably think "we don't give a shit about our own history, so why should you?"
They'll know the pre-orders were huge and interest dropped as details emerged. It shouldn't be too much of a stretch to think they'll understand from this that the audience likes the concept but requires it to be done well.

Last edited:

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It looks like could be a better Pi at that price but I wonder if mod community even bothers with this thing anyway

Mister X

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
And yet NES and SNES seem to be destroying PlayStation in Classic sales. Which probably makes the better argument whose nostalgia is actually stronger.
Lol, the PSX classic had ton of shit reviews and a lackluster choice of games, no shit it wouldn't sell Sherlock.

And lol at people being upset that PSX probably has more people being nostalgic for it than NES and SNES. Check your inner fanboy guys.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Lol, the PSX classic had ton of shit reviews and a lackluster choice of games, no shit it wouldn't sell Sherlock.

And lol at people being upset that PSX probably has more people being nostalgic for it than NES and SNES. Check your inner fanboy guys.
I don't think people are upset, they just disagree with a lot of points you are trying to make.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017

Like you said, the internet isn't real world. The mass market is rejecting the PSC, that probably speaks to bigger issues than emulation hiccups a casual player likely wouldn't notice.

Also you can stop projecting with the "lol upset fanboy" garbage. It's transparent.

Mister X

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
User Banned (5 days): System warring and antagonising other members over multiple posts. Accumulated infractions.
Like you said, the internet isn't real world. The mass market is rejecting the PSC, that probably speaks to bigger issues than emulation hiccups a casual player likely wouldn't notice.

Also you can stop projecting with the "lol upset fanboy" garbage. It's transparent.
Then stop acting like an upset fanboy.

And we'll see in a couple of months if a price drop will do anything for sales. ( I hope not, this product deserves to fail)

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Then stop acting like an upset fanboy.

And we'll see in a couple of months if a price drop will do anything for sales. ( I hope not, this product deserves to fail)
Why are you getting so upset over this? It's not worth the toxic slant and insults, you'll just get yourself banned that way.

And given it's had the price slashed by 40% only 2 weeks after launch, I'd venture to say it's already failed.

Mister X

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Why are you getting so upset over this? It's not worth the toxic slant and insults, you'll just get yourself banned that way.

And given it's had the price slashed by 40% only 2 weeks after launch, I'd venture to say it's already failed.
So you guys are upset because I used the word "destroyed"? A bit fragile are we now?

Anyway I'll leave it be, this doesn't go anywhere. Agree to disagree. (btw I love my NES and SNES mini)

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
people are really overestimating the effect of the bad emulation, and kinda overestimating effect of game selection. i think the appeal of this product was pretty limited (or at least, way more limited than NES and SNES classic) from the moment the idea was conceived. now of course with perfect emulation and 20 stone cold classics included it would have sold a lot better to video game enthusiasts, but those weren't the only ones who got nintendo's classics and made them a success. nintendo has for the past 30 years respected and maintained their legacy and history, and kept a lot of the series that are represented on their classic consoles relevant. sony pretty much starts each generation fresh with new series and doesn't care a lot about their legacy. of course that's a big plus for some and the reason why a lot of ps fans are ps fans, they like the fact that sony is always about new ideas and experiences, but in this not-so-important instance, that works against sony because most of those fans don't have nostalgia for the first playstation console and its games like people have for the first nintendo consoles and their games.

Naked Snake

Oct 27, 2017
It looks like could be a better Pi at that price but I wonder if mod community even bothers with this thing anyway
Yeah that's what I'm thinking... Would be cool if it gets a decent port of an OS like Linux or Android so it can be used for more than just emulating games. But if it doesn't sell well then the chance of it getting good homebrew support is slim.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
If you hack it to:

1) Increase the storage and curate your own game library
2) Replace the included games with all NTSC versions and run with the NTSC region selected
3) Double the resolution (which takes away the horrible bilinear filtering)
4) Give yourself controller-bound access to not only the main menu of the PS Classic but the secret emulator menu for advanced settings

Then it is actually an absolutely fantastic little device.

The best part about hacking PS Classics is you just need a thumbdrive formatted to FAT32 (not exFAT) -- nothing to it, really. People are even having luck with their PS-to-USB controller adapters giving them dualshock support.

I mean, to be honest there was a lot missing on the SNES Classic too, but once you hack it and customize it to your liking it becomes quite an ultimate way to enjoy the library given the aesthetics of the hardware and software and the original controller being in your hands again. If you liked the PS1 library, you should pick this up, and checkout the BleemSync tool and visit the PS Classic reddit. It's well worth the value, then.

Customizing these little guys was always the name of the game, it's just that the improvements are more necessary than ever with the PS Classic.

P.S. It just got Retroarch support with 91 cores running: https://www.reddit.com/r/Playstatio...aystation_classic_boot_menu_psc_retroarch_91/

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
vp2MnPT.gif

Spyro could've saved it.

You had one job, Sony.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you hack it to:

1) Increase the storage and curate your own game library
2) Replace the included games with all NTSC versions and run with the NTSC region selected
3) Double the resolution (which takes away the horrible bilinear filtering)
4) Give yourself controller-bound access to not only the main menu of the PS Classic but the secret emulator menu for advanced settings

Then it is actually an absolutely fantastic little device.

The best part about hacking PS Classics is you just need a thumbdrive formatted to FAT32 (not exFAT) -- nothing to it, really. People are even having luck with their PS-to-USB controller adapters giving them dualshock support.

I mean, to be honest there was a lot missing on the SNES Classic too, but once you hack it and customize it to your liking it becomes quite an ultimate way to enjoy the library given the aesthetics of the hardware and software and the original controller being in your hands again. If you liked the PS1 library, you should pick this up, and checkout the BleemSync tool and visit the PS Classic reddit. It's well worth the value, then.

Customizing these little guys was always the name of the game, it's just that the improvements are more necessary than ever with the PS Classic.

P.S. It just got Retroarch support with 91 cores running: https://www.reddit.com/r/Playstatio...aystation_classic_boot_menu_psc_retroarch_91/
I hope to see comparison videos soon of pcsx rearmed running from retroarch because the performance of the stock port is worse than pcsx rearmed on an SNES mini which should not be the case considering the hardware.