• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
37c.jpg

I don't get what's going on in this ad, what I'm looking at, and what it means. Can somebody explain to a dummy please?

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I don't get what's going on in this ad, what I'm looking at, and what it means. Can somebody explain to a dummy please?
Final Fantasy 7 was a PlayStation exclusive for a while because Nintendo decided to use cartridges that had significantly less memory on them than what CDs could hold, so the game didn't fit.

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
It will take them in completely the wrong direction. It suits Nintendo, they're not interested in pushing power and are the kings of the handheld. I don't want a full Sony generation held back because of a handheld, I want them pushing boundaries.
I just want convenience, to be honest.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
So...

You put your flash cartridge in the console, it connects to the internet, encrypts the data with a unique key and lets you take your games with you to a friend's house? And when you put the cartridge in, it authenticates again to validate the transfer for as long as the cartridge is in?!

Maybe that's the SSD part of the PS5. that would allow you to "hotswap" SSD cartridges with specific installs or between multiple machines?

Like... is that what a feasible use for this would be like?
Yeah this seems plausible. Both as a way to expand the console storage while retaining the super fast connection required to work as intended, while also adding the benefit of taking your PlayStation round to someone else's, no need to download and install games over again.

If the SSD is the game changer we've been told, and external USB drives just won't cut it for running games off, and this is the only way to increase your console storage, I'm down with this. So long as the console has a base storage of 1TB then it's fine. If they gimped the system with 500GB or less and expected you to shell out (presumably at least £100) to get a respectable amount then that would be a really sour move.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Still don't see why companies haven't made a truly hybrid console. Nintendo's implementation is great, but a PS5 witb optional portable play at a severely lower graphical output seems like a no-brainer.

Nov 8, 2017

It's showing a prerendered cutscene which would only be possible in large numbers on a CD Rom at the time. Being Blindfolded + given a final cigarette is a reference to being executed by firing squad. Basically it's saying the developers of "Cartridge Games" (N64 devs) should prepare to be killed because it's all over once FF7 comes out.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Still don't see why companies haven't made a truly hybrid console. Nintendo's implementation is great, but a PS5 witb optional portable play at a severely lower graphical output seems like a no-brainer.
It's pointless for Microsoft or Sony to compete directly with Nintendo as far as handheld game systems go. Sony's handheld ambitions will never allow Sony to do as well in that market as Sony wants to, and Sony'll just end up burning its fans again. Not to mention all of the wasted effort by devs to support such a convoluted set of platforms. Look at how much EA shies away from supporting Switch right now. It's not solely about graphical output, and not all games can scale down as gracefully as some of the more ambitious ports to Switch have. The hybrid approach that you want would only have the same negative impact that cross-gen game releases would in that the next-gen releases would ultimately suffer due to the relative shortcomings of current-gen consoles.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
I guess I'm late, but those are probably proprietary expandable SSD sold like they did with Vita... sign that, there will be blood...

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I guess I'm late, but those are probably proprietary expandable SSD sold like they did with Vita... sign that, there will be blood...

Yeah. Though I'm not sure what the big surprise is. We should be expecting this based on everything Sony has said - that the PS5 SSD is custom. Thus we should expect custom upgrades for it will be available from Sony. That's what this possibly is.

IMO this is perfectly legit if there's a performance benefit to going proprietary/custom. I would prefer that than allowing any old SSD, if there's a performance benefit.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Yeah. Though I'm not sure what the big surprise is. We should be expecting this based on everything Sony has said - that the PS5 SSD is custom. Thus we should expeect custom upgrades for it will be available from Sony. That's what this possibly is.

IMO this is perfectly legit if there's a performance benefit to going proprietary/custom. I would prefer that than allowing any old SSD, if there's a performance benefit.
No, of course you can't use a regular SSD in any case (500MB/s -best case scenario- vs 3GB/s), but it would have been nice to have a sort of NVMe adapter or so... I really don't want to buy an overly expensive property SSD because Sony didn't cared to give options...

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
No, of course you can't use a regular SSD in any case (500MB/s -best case scenario- vs 3GB/s), but it would have been nice to have a sort of NVMe adapter or so... I really don't want to buy an overly expensive property SSD because Sony didn't cared to give options...

A NVMe drive might tick some boxes, like bandwidth, but may not offer all the performance guarantees they want to make. It may not just be about bandwidth. It might be about customisations for management of house keeping tasks on the ssd, for example, to avoid game data fetches being interrupted (even temporarily), and enable them to make hard realtime guarantees with regard to latency. There are lots of other things they might do with a proprietary system beyond just the bandwidth.

For the moment I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. As the evolution of memory changes, the storage layer is becoming more critical to performance - and so it may become more difficult to accommodate even 'fast' commodity hardware, because of variations in other performance characteristics (latency, interrupts etc) that they want to avoid. If it turns out they're not doing anything 'more' beyond a standard NVMe, or whatever, then I'll be annoyed, but it won't be just raw bandwidth that defines that.