• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
Most major conferences and events are getting cancelled, so this isn't unexpected.

Hopefully we still get new TLOUS part 2 footage.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Sony feels this is the proper route to take, good on them. People dismissing precautions to the virus and saying this is an overreaction because of "my video games" are pathetic as fuck. Learn some perspective, we still don't truly know how serious this thing is.

The reactions of next-gen delays if the virus continues to be a problem will be interesting here.

Oct 25, 2017
Then their employees shouldn't go to work at all since the chances of them dieing in a car crash is magnitudes higher than them dieing to coronavirus.

I think events being cancelled in the US due to virus scares are over reactionary.

not when their workforce is global and will most likely be travelingfrom various countries. Many of which have been exposed to this virus. This post comes off aa very entitled

Oct 26, 2017
Okay so the posts here were very bad by me, I thought that the US was testing a lot of people so the low confirmed count of cases was accurate and I was on edge because my wife's friend had just been racially profiled.

But still very bad posts.

Last edited:

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
They absolutely deserved to be mocked constantly. There are 12 people infected with coronavirus in the United States. This is incredibly stupid.
this aint it chief.

1.) there's more than 12 people infected in the US.
2.) PAX Plague, PAX Pox, Con Flu, are already things.
3.) better safe than sorry
4.) it's just some games, why do you have to be mad?

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I checked the twitter comments and I expected it to be a fucking mess. I was pleasantry surprised to see most people understanding the situation (Of course, some people are mad, but I expected way more people mad).
You're right, a few douches but majority are understanding. What dimension did I wake up in?

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Release the demo on the store then.

Yea, conventions are a hotbed for these things. I remember the time I went to PSX and as part of the welcome package and swag Sony was giving out hand sanitizer.
If ND were smart, they wouldn't release a Demo. They had to deal with a hack of their own when they released TLOU1 Demo which had small spoilers here and there. 7 Remake probably reminded everyone of the risks of releasing a demo and potentially getting datamined.

lovecatt

Nov 12, 2017
I'm not going to mock people for being extra cautious with something as serious as corona virus

but this does seem a little extra

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Critical thinking time

What if instead of being concerned with the cases in the US they are actually concerned about picking it up from the nameless randos at the airports and on the planes themselves?

They are thinking smartly.

redshoepaul

PM Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Makes them look insanely weak.
The flu is way more of a concern and has a way higher chance of being there, but still Sony shows up every other PAX East during flu season..

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really bummed about this (all the big games I wanted to play were going to be at their booth) but I can't get angry over decisions made for employee safety and well-being.

Johannes

Oct 28, 2017
If more people were as cautious as Sony maybe it wouldn't have spread as much. I have no problem with this.
My thoughts as well. Sony (alongside with other major companies) did the same thing with MWC 2020 which afterwards was cancelled completely. I don't know what is the situation in Barcelona, but I assume Spain wasn't a hotbed for the COVID-19, but it was nonetheless the right decision.

Honestly some of the comments in this thread are a fucking bummer.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Most major conferences and events are getting cancelled, so this isn't unexpected.

Hopefully we still get new TLOUS part 2 footage.

MWC is the largest thing to be cancelled all together. GDC is still happening. The Tokyo Marathon is still happening on Feb 25th though it's restricted to only elite runners.

Seeing how the virus is mainly a threat to east and southeast Asia, I wouldn't expect many events to the west to be cancelled, they'll just issue warnings and advisories about washing hands and wearing masks.

Hell, Japan is still hosting the 2020 Olympics. I wouldn't expect those to be cancelled unless there was a massive surge in new cases over the next few months.

DashReindeer

Perfect World
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I don't fault Sony for this. I am gonna be at PAX all next week demoing games, and the regular PAX pox is a bad enough deterrent that an actual dangerous epidemic is a reason enough to not attend. Still, kind of sad they won't be there.

ThatOneGuy

Dec 3, 2018
Can't release a demo online, it'd just get datamined and ruin the game for some people. Demos don't historically help game sales anyways.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Weird... Are the museums, theaters, bars and amusement parks open?

Of course they are.

I guess we'll see how the virus {containment} is faring come launch time to see if they're still placing human lives before business opportunity.

Oct 25, 2017
They absolutely deserved to be mocked constantly. There are 12 people infected with coronavirus in the United States. This is incredibly stupid.

honestly y'all need to get off your high horse and stop getting mad and feeling entitled over video games.

Sony is a global company with employees all over the world. US in this situation doesn't represent the world people will be traveling from all world from many places with cases of this stuff.

you want to mock a company just being proactive? Settle down. It's video games. An if anyone else wants to pull out then let them.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
MWC is the largest thing to be cancelled all together. GDC is still happening. The Tokyo Marathon is still happening on Feb 25th though it's restricted to only elite runners.

Seeing how the virus is mainly a threat to east and southeast Asia, I wouldn't expect many events to the west to be cancelled, they'll just issue warnings and advisories about washing hands and wearing masks.

Hell, Japan is still hosting the 2020 Olympics. I wouldn't expect those to be cancelled unless there was a massive surge in new cases over the next few months.
A wrestling company in Japan has actually cancelled like all of their events for the next month.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
this aint it chief.

1.) there's more than 12 people infected in the US.
2.) PAX Plague, PAX Pox, Con Flu, are already things.
3.) better safe than sorry
4.) it's just some games, why do you have to be mad?

Because mocking gives some people a sense of satisfaction.

It's almost like they feel the need to shame others in order to make themselves feel better, all the while not realizing that bringing someone/thing down a peg or two in their eyes doesn't make them look any better to the rest of the world.

anastiel

Banned
Mar 14, 2019
there is a report that even with the use of masks the virus can infect another person, well it was the best option of the playstation, I hope they broadcast a live live on twitch, youtube directed to the audience of the playstation.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
i think this is almost a guarantee at this point, xbox as well

I think it's much more likely that they both launch in November with potentially reduced stock than that either of them push the launch to 2021.

The consoles aren't going to enter mass production for months yet, and factories are already coming back online. There will be a knock-on effect and costs will go up but not enough to outweigh the strategic importance of launching this year. The virus is going to be much more of an issue for spring product launches like the new compact iPhone.

Oct 27, 2017
But why tho.

This Corona virus scare has gotten far beyond ludicrous.
Blown out of proportions. No one is contaminated in the US as far as I know
1000s affected, and the numbers are obviously lower due to Chinese "secrecy". Was SARS overblown as well?

Sony would need to fly people in from various parts of the world including regions very close to the epicenter. This is protecting their people. Yeah it sucks, but I would rather Sony sit it out then the virus making it's way to this part of the world.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Makes them look insanely weak.
The flu is way more of a concern and has a way higher chance of being there, but still Sony shows up every other PAX East during flu season..

pshhhh Don't let actual data and science get in the way...

[spoilers] You are absolutely right, when compared to yearly infections and morality rates the yearly Flu makes SARS/MERS/This and next years overblown respiratory infection look like a much smaller scale issue. [/Spoilers]

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
Chance of getting killed on your way to PAX by car is about 60000 times higher than the Coronavirus infecting you. Damn facts!

CO2 generated by flying to PAX obviously is not a problem?

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
But why tho.

This Corona virus scare has gotten far beyond ludicrous.
Yet it's been proven that it's a real threat unlike anything we've seen for many decades. It can certainly tail off at some point and not cause that much issue outside of China, but it's also possible that it could be a serious global issue. We don't know yet, which is precisely why it should be treated carefully. Conventions and travel that poses a risk should definitely be avoided and cancelled. If it doesn't pose a risk, then by all means go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.