• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I wonder how many people who applaud this are the same type of people who are avoiding chinese restaurants right now. "Better safe than sorry".

I can play this game too.

Once again i couldn't possibly care less about any sony products but the mass hysteria is hurting people far more than the actual virus in the US.

I'm asian, still go to asian and chinese restaurants. I am also relieved that I won't be attending the World Mobile Congress due to work. Both are different things.

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
It's hard to take mods seriously when these kinds of posts are allowed.

It's one thing to question Sony's decision, but to mock them for it? There's nothing stupid about it at all, and I dare you to bring that up in the main thread.
That comment is worse than stupid, it's willfuly ignorant.

Oct 31, 2017
This is pretty normal in the corporate world at the moment, my company for example has a travel ban in place for all non-essential travel between subsidiaries and for overseas events. Employees coming back from abroad are also working from home for a quarantine period.

The concern is that by having staff pass through transit hubs that theres a much greater risk of infection. A lot of international events are being cancelled at the moment for this reason, companies don't want their staff to travel through airports.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Now that it seems Japan, South Korea, and Singapore have localized spread/outbreaks not related to any Chinese travellers, this seems like a very good decision. US CDC also issued a level 1 travel alert to Japan and Hong Kong.

It's a pandemic at this point, if you follow what's going on.

Oct 31, 2017
This thread is so embarrassing and a firm reminder of why I should post less on Resetera. A company taking precautions to protect their staff and limit the spread of a deadly disease by cancelling non-essential traveling events is now something to be mocked? Wow, videogames are more important than people's lives now? Jesus. The lengths some people go through in this place to push their idiotic agendas really is something.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Off topic, but what's with all the dismissive "toys" labeling for this medium?
Some of you sound like 50 year olds in the 80s when the NES released with R.O.B. the Robot.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
It's probably the right call but I'm not surprised to be honest and part of the problem lies with Sony and their lack of communication. They've cancelled shows in 2018, then in 2019, and recently E3 this year, and now this.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
User banned (1 day): Drive-by trolling
I wonder how many people who applaud this are the same type of people who are avoiding chinese restaurants right now. "Better safe than sorry".

I can play this game too.

Once again i couldn't possibly care less about any sony products but the mass hysteria is hurting people far more than the actual virus in the US.
Chinese food sucks.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
Off topic, but what's with all the dismissive "toys" labeling for this medium?
Some of you sound like 50 year olds in the 80s when the NES released with R.O.B. the Robot.

Yeah, I've noticed that as well. In a community where we want the general audience to take video games seriously as an industry, some members just turn around say "they're just toys!", it's a bit weird for sure.

To be clear, this is separate from Sony not attending PAX, makes complete sense to me.

SpecX

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
This is pretty normal in the corporate world at the moment, my company for example has a travel ban in place for all non-essential travel between subsidiaries and for overseas events. Employees coming back from abroad are also working from home for a quarantine period.

The concern is that by having staff pass through transit hubs that theres a much greater risk of infection. A lot of international events are being cancelled at the moment for this reason, companies don't want their staff to travel through airports.
Same with my company. They have put a travel block in place unless it's absolutely required to get business done. I was supposed to travel from Southern Cali to Northern Cali next month for training and even that has been blocked. Virtual meetings are being pushed more than ever to minimize risk to employees.

StrayDog

Avenger
Jul 14, 2018
Yeah, I've noticed that as well. In a community where we want the general audience to take video games seriously as an industry, some members just turn around say "they're just toys!", it's a bit weird for sure.

It is a toy AKA entertainment. You can live without it or being delivered later.

Oct 30, 2017
Just today a big German company (Fischer) canceled their presence at an important international hardware trade show next month in Cologne because of the Corona virus. Despite the fact that here are very few cases in Germany.

Stuff like that will happen frequently in next few weeks/months.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
It is a toy AKA entertainment. You can live without it or being delivered later.

I know this isn't directed at me, but I initially brought it up and you quoted the poster who responded.

It's a toy because it's... 'entertainment'? That seems wildly vague.
"You play with it!"... sure... maybe. I might humor that excuse for a minute. But it still seems elitist and dismissive (and frankly disrespectful to the artists, writers, directors, performers, and developers that spend years working on them), especially on this forum, to bottle up what is now a fairly respected form of creative media as 'toys'. I mean, a toy, by definition, is an object for a child to play with; generally a model or a small replica of something larger. Is that truly how you and others that have blurted out the 'put your damn TOYS down!' sentiment really view this medium?
That just dismisses the emotional (compelling narratives, social & political themes, inspirational music, relatable characters) and the mental/psychological (puzzle solving, hand-eye coordination, perspective altering) benefits of the interactive medium of video games. It means a lot to millions of people around the world. It helps people get through depression. It helps people bond and interact with others. It helps people motivate themselves to be more creative. Using the 'toy' label just feeds into the negative stereotype brought upon by far right Christian evangelicals and stubborn older generations that dismiss the entire industry as 'youth corrupting' and 'society weakening'. Again, it goes back to the kneejerk shit I used to have to listen to (especially down south in the bible belt) in the 80's when the NES first took the US by storm. That narrative continued from the usual suspects as game generations advanced, but fortunately more illuminating individuals were discovering that video games were becoming a legitimate form of creative art- and not only were they being looked at such from players, but they were also being designed as such from creators and developers.

People can still say "it's entertainment media. Human health is more important" instead of "lol nerds and your fricken' toys!". And they'd be 100% right. It still gets the point across and avoids sounding arrogantly daft by downplaying something that clearly transcends the simplification of just being a toy.

And yes, I absolutely support what Sony is doing here to #1. safeguard their employees and #2. do their part in possibly preventing even the possibility of a larger problem. I'm just confused by the people in this thread aggressively relating this medium to a plaything for children. I mean, I still have a blast playing with 'toys' with my young daughters, so I still have a lot of child-at-heart in me. But this ain't it, as the kids say around here these days.

But perhaps this is all better served for it's own thread, so I apologize if I started a derail.

Sunlight

Apr 22, 2019
Do you think Sony will tease something of PS5 or they announce new things after the peak of coronavirus outbreak?

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
I know this isn't directed at me, but I initially brought it up and you quoted the poster who responded.

It's a toy because it's... 'entertainment'? That seems wildly vague.
"You play with it!"... sure... maybe. I might humor that excuse for a minute. But it still seems elitist and dismissive (and frankly disrespectful to the artists, writers, directors, performers, and developers that spend years working on them), especially on this forum, to bottle up what is now a fairly respected form of creative media as 'toys'. I mean, a toy, by definition, is an object for a child to play with; generally a model or a small replica of something larger. Is that truly how you and others that have blurted out the 'put your damn TOYS down!' sentiment really view this medium?
That just dismisses the emotional (compelling narratives, social & political themes, inspirational music, relatable characters) and the mental/psychological (puzzle solving, hand-eye coordination, perspective altering) benefits of the interactive medium of video games. It means a lot to millions of people around the world. It helps people get through depression. It helps people bond and interact with others. It helps people motivate themselves to be more creative. Using the 'toy' label just feeds into the negative stereotype brought upon by far right Christian evangelicals and stubborn older generations that dismiss the entire industry as 'youth corrupting' and 'society weakening'. Again, it goes back to the kneejerk shit I used to have to listen to (especially down south in the bible belt) in the 80's when the NES first took the US by storm. That narrative continued from the usual suspects as game generations advanced, but fortunately more illuminating individuals were discovering that video games were becoming a legitimate form of creative art- and not only were they being looked at such from players, but they were also being designed as such from creators and developers.

People can still say "it's entertainment media. Human health is more important" instead of "lol nerds and your fricken' toys!". And they'd be 100% right. It still gets the point across and avoids sounding arrogantly daft by downplaying something that clearly transcends the simplification of just being a toy.

And yes, I absolutely support what Sony is doing here to #1. safeguard their employees and #2. do their part in possibly preventing even the possibility of a larger problem. I'm just confused by the people in this thread aggressively relating this medium to a plaything for children. I mean, I still have a blast playing with 'toys' with my young daughters, so I still have a lot of child-at-heart in me. But this ain't it, as the kids say around here these days.

But perhaps this is all better served for it's own thread, so I apologize if I started a derail.

100% agree

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
This is probably the worst thread of 2020 and we are still February. It's almost concerning that some people never saw the big picture to begin with.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
I think that all the companies are doing the right thing by pulling out of those events, I also think, however, that it's pretty clear that the hysteria around the coronavirus is being pushed by the US and the west in general because of its potential as a major tool of anti-China propaganda.

Anuiran

Oct 27, 2017
I think that all the companies are doing the right thing by pulling out of those events, I also think, however, that it's pretty clear that the hysteria around the coronavirus is being pushed by the US and the west in general because of its potential as a major tool of anti-China propaganda.

I decided to edit this and remove my post. All I will say this is not western hysteria and a lot of countries are dealing with very real things. It's not a China thing anymore, it hasn't been for a while. Italy and Iran are in bad shape, but you can believe whatever you want.

Oct 31, 2017
Oh yeah bro, my company just had all of our live shows and performances for the next two months canceled by the government. All school children (13 million at least) have been barred from attending school during the month of March until spring break. My bar owner friends are reporting patronage dropping like a stone because people don't want to gather in large places. Of course I'm talking about JAPAN but if you want to pretend it's some anti-China propaganda by the US you keep on living the lie.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
That staff post aged incredibly badly. It was already yikes but now it looks even worse. And for the people who thought Sony had nothing to show or this made them look weak, I really wanna know your thoughts now that Pax and GDC are gonna be pretty empty this year with the later possibly cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.