• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I'm with the mods on this one, Sony have made the decision (one that I think is OK) we should be able to discuss it here and Sony don't give a fuck what we think anyway.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Taking precautions in light of a world wide epidemic isn't an overreaction.

I'm appalled that this post hasn't been revised to take that out.
The staff post doesn't say it is, only that people should be allowed to voice their opinion without personal attack. I totally agree with Sony but ya'll need to chill with the thought-police stuff. This is a forum for discussion and that staff post is the least outrageous thing I've ever seen from these mods.

Anyway, these big conventions like PAX have always been an easy way to get sick. No shame in anyone bowing out, especially in light of an international epidemic.

p1ZoE.jpg

Last edited:

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Nobody disagrees that people are "allowed" to believe things.

Your post only raises another question -- are people allowed to point out toxic, hateful comments that are posing as "beliefs"?
Just because you label something as "toxic" does not make it so, and it doesn't make you righteous in your indignation.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
This is a big misrepresentation of the issue, but I'll humor you. Personal attacks are already against the rules making that mod post redundant and unnecessary. Just ban/warn people who need it.

But the way that it's written gives the appearance that it's ok to downplay the severity of a public health issue as just "opinion." And that's upset a lot people.

You're not tracking the issue. Sony has chosen a particular risk management strategy in light of Covid19. That's fine. It's also reasonable to think that Sony's risk management strategy is too risk averse. People make those calculations all the time. Every con carries with it an increased risk of serious infections to con goers. That's just the nature of those events. Sony, and many others--but not everyone, perceives this year's risk as unacceptably elevated by Covid-19. That's just a risk estimate though. WHO and CDV didn't urge them to cancel, they did it on their own. Judgements about that decision are perfectly fair.

I have yet to see a poster say we should cancel all cons due to increased infection risk, so clearly there is some amount of acceptable risk. It's weird that people are characterizing this as anti vax or anti science.

I'm not denying the existence of weird meltdown posts about "mY vIdEo gAmEs" but there is space between that position and yours.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
There's room for multiple perspectives.
How far does that extend to harmful perspectives I think is what people are wondering, or is it a good idea to take a company to task for caring about the physical and mental wellbeing of it's employees even at their own detriment or being allowed to propagate conspiracy theories that a company would use a worldwide virus to delay a gaming console? I guess the expectation is we're usually better than that, if a developer gets called lazy that would be a bigger deal than conspiratorial thinking, and I think there's a disconnect there in this instance, that's just my perspective anyways.

Last edited:

Melkezadek

Oct 27, 2017
People being skeptical about Sony's decision isn't the same as people peddling conspiracy theories about the PS5 how is Sony using the Coronavirus to hide the fact that "they have nothing". The mod post feels a little dishonest making it seem like being are being hostile for a simple disagreement on Sony's call.

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I'm ok with this. I'm also ok with a delay in PS5 if it means more safety and well being considerations are taken for the people making/designing it. I can live another year or two with a PS4.

Oct 25, 2017
What about the conspiracy theory that this isn't being done as a proactive, preventative measure — rather Sony avoiding having a public presence at the event for reasons beyond the virus? Going by what hasn't been actioned in this thread, it seems conspiracy theories are fair game depending on the subject.

Hey as long as it's your opinion anything goes.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I would like to clarify on my earlier post that while I think it's more cautious than what the current standing of the situation is, it's a good thing that Sony has people who are capable of making that call to not risk their people despite whatever belief or data exists. Most companies would probably not want to sacrifice an unnecessary marketing opportunity (does TLOUS2 really need it?), so good on them.

I still think the mod post wasn't intentioned to be paralleled with 'both sides'-ing positions on politics, vaccines, or racism like many are going for.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Are any attendees getting concerned about the risks?

I was invited to go with a good friend, but I also have pretty severe asthma so I tend to get a little nervous around scares like this one.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Are any attendees getting concerned about the risks?

I was invited to go with a good friend, but I also have pretty severe asthma so I tend to get a little nervous around scares like this one.
Unless we see a significant uptick in U.S cases of this virus you have nothing to worry about.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't seem too insane for mods to say "hey, maybe don't personally attack each other". There are two sides to it and there should be civil discourse. I don't know why anyone would be upset to be told to not attack another poster. But here we are.

The conspiracy theories shouldn't be entertained. This likely was decided by corporate.
We have literally people in this thread that are spreading conspiracy theories - or as stated "just stating that it's OK to question what Sony has to hide that they need to use the virus as an excuse". Or how the virus is just a hoax. People call that out, a Mod steps in and states that these are valid beliefs and should not be called out.

It's okay to believe that this might be an overraction.
Throwing around conspiracy theories and / or fighting console wars should not be protected as "valid belief" by a mod post.

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017
Opinions on if precautions taken regarding something that's a global health emergency are necessary? 🤔
Is it necessary to question a company's precautions? In a lot of cases, I don't think so. In fact, I think it makes perfect sense for Sony to decide to restrict travel for Asia-based staff.

Some questions aren't intended as challenges though. For example, I'm curious if a company with thousands of employees/execs based outside of Asia had other reasons for cancelling this appearance. If they were just going to demo some games from American studios, then this seems like an overreaction. If they were going to debut the PS5 and senior leadership from Japan were going to be present, then this decision makes sense.

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017
What about the conspiracy theory that this isn't being done as a proactive, preventative measure — rather Sony avoiding having a public presence at the event for reasons beyond the virus? Going by what hasn't been actioned in this thread, it seems conspiracy theories are fair game depending on the subject.
You're free to argue with those theories. They're not so offensive that you need a mod to silence them.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
you have a higher chance of getting seasonal flu than coronavirus

Imagine a man is eating a hamburger while walking across a tightrope. Obviously, the greater physical danger to him is that he falls, rather than he chokes on the hamburger, but it would be a good idea for him to not be eating a hamburger at that moment as well, because it makes his situation worse.

What I mean is, in every situation, multiple dangers exist at any given time. The goal is usually not to eliminate all risk, which can be impossible, but to mitigate it. When you can make a less risky decision without enough harm to yourself to offset the risk you mtiigated, it's usually a wise idea to do so.

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
We have literally people in this thread that are spreading conspiracy theories - or as stated "just stating that it's OK to question what Sony has to hide that they need to use the virus as an excuse". Or how the virus is just a hoax. People call that out, a Mod steps in and states that these are valid beliefs and should not be called out.

It's okay to believe that this might be an overraction. Throwing around conspiracy theories and fighting console wars should not be protected as "valid belief" by a mod post.
You would think that this should be absolutely obvious, but...

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
This thread is a fucking nightmare

Where are these imaginary people saying that games are more important then people?

All I see are people doubting that a large corporation would make a purely altruistic decision and people questioning the possible repercussions of being overly cautious about coronavirus

Oct 25, 2017

Throwing around conspiracy theories and / or fighting console wars should not be protected as "valid belief" by a mod post.

I mean, basically this.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
It's fine for them to pull out for any reason, just like it is anyone else, it's their own company and they don't owe anyone anything.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You're free to argue with those theories. They're not so offensive that you need a mod to silence them.
We've had some issues with conspiracy theories that have been subject to quite a bit of moderation the past few months, so seeing it waved off here is odd. That's not what most seem to necessarily take issue with that mod post, but those that are have some ground there.

Odd that mods have otherwise been quiet for this long. Iirc OP requested it to be closed, there's options to lock as they go through the current backlog of reports, or could just shut it down with a new mod helmed thread with 'no conspiracies, console warring, etc' warning. I'm just failing to see the point on leaving as is given the whole discussion has gone far beyond where it was and continues to spiral.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo

100% this. SOme posters in this thread, just wow

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Who are the people saying the coronavirus is a hoax?

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
I still think the mod post wasn't intentioned to be paralleled with 'both sides'-ing positions on politics, vaccines, or racism like many are going for.
Of course not. Being a moderator here is simply an unthankful job, period.

Just looking at the situation as it is, it's totally fine to cancel or not, whatever. (other exhibitors decided differently but they're not more evil nor better) ... but making some drama out of this situation on the other hand... to me it's mind boggling. Isn't life too short for that?

Aug 23, 2018
As someone going to Pax this fucking sucks. I understand the decision but it seems a bit extreme to completely pull the plug. Also odd this decision was mad 5-6 days after they announced their lineup. Coronavirus was declared a global emergency almost 3 weeks ago. What changed in the past week?

If anything Sony should've canceled Pax due to the large number of anti-vaxxer fuck heads here in the US. I'm more likely to get sick in the Boston seaport from James O'Sullivan from Southie bringing his son Jimmy Jr to the convention center without getting him a flu shot this year

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Completely understandable. Better to take precautions and protect their employees than be sorry they took the risk. It's just one gaming event.

Clarification on Discussion Guidelines

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Official Staff Communication
The intent of the staff post was simply to say "stop the personal attacks" which is something that a lot of posters have clearly failed to do. We do not support xenophobia or conspiracy theories. We do not support anti-vaxxer nonsense. Not now, not ever. To say otherwise is insulting and disingenuous.

If Sony wants to cancel their PAX show that's up to them and this has no bearing on whether or not it was the "right" decision. People have their own opinions about this decision, and that's fine, but you do not need to be disrespectful towards each other.

The Coronavirus is serious. We have never suggested otherwise.

This is industry news. Let's get back on topic.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Damn just bought a ticket for pax east for the first time ever. I live in Massachusetts and no one I've talked to is concerned about coronavirus taking root here but I understand ps not wanting to risk it.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
The intent of the staff post was simply to say "stop the personal attacks" which is something that a lot of posters have clearly failed to do. We do not support xenophobia or conspiracy theories. We do not support anti-vaxxer nonsense. Not now, not ever. To say otherwise is insulting and disingenuous.

If Sony wants to cancel their PAX show that's up to them and this has no bearing on whether or not it was the "right" decision. People have their own opinions about this decision, and that's fine, but you do not need to be disrespectful towards each other.

That's fair, but we can point out that ridiculous assumptions are just that, ridiculous.

starblue

Oct 28, 2017
The MWC in Barcelona was also cancelled due coronavirus so... don't think about conspirations. Companies just want to protect their workers as much as they can and avoid risks. Human life goes the first, games can wait.

Also, in 2020 we have streaming so why not just show things on streaming ?

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
That's good on them. Better to be safe than sorry. It's just video games. Potentially putting your staff at risk isn't worth it, even if contracting it here is currently a long shot. If it hasn't vastly improved by Summer, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo doesn't follow suit and cancel their E3 presence.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah

Much better staff post. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.