• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 28, 2017
Super disappointing, but I get it. Sony had been the highlight of the show for me the past couple of years. I really curious how they fill the space at the last minute. Maybe their will be more space and less choke points this year?

Deleted member 6215

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When a corporation does something financially damaging but in the interest of the health and well-being of their employees, that's a good thing. Labeling it as an overreaction is credibility naive as these decisions aren't made lightly in organizations of that size.

That mod post was terrible, not only because it completely derailed the thread, but it appears to give people a green light for all kinds of bogus comments that ignore the facts under the banner of "it's just my opinion, bro". I would have reported it if other mods didn't already come in and circle the wagons.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Wow at some of these posts.

Safety first. If I have to travel often and they were to give me a choice, I'd avoid airports right now.

Sony is a global company and it's better if the people working for them dont have to risk going through big international airports that they can avoid.

mangochutney

Jun 11, 2018
When a corporation does something financially damaging but in the interest of the health and well-being of their employees, that's a good thing. Labeling it as an overreaction is credibility naive as these decisions aren't made lightly in organizations of that size.

That mod post was terrible, not only because it completely derailed the thread, but it appears to give people a green light for all kinds of bogus comments that ignore the facts under the banner of "it's just my opinion, bro". I would have reported it if other mods didn't already come in and circle the wagons.
Facts about what?

Deleted member 8784

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I respect Sony's decision to pull out, I really do, and agree that safety is paramount, but the more I read this thread, the more puzzled I am by the responses suggesting that those who think this may be an over-reaction is the equivalent to being an anti-vaxxer and things like that.

Is the coverage about Coronavirus massively different in our own countries, leading to different viewpoints on how dangerous it is? It's reported in the news in the UK, but there's not a particular panic about it. It seems like a genuine worry for some of you guys?

I'm just finding this thread so strange.

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
They forgot that Sony is also being responsible because there could also be cases of them bringing the flu with them from Japan.

Seriously fuck all of you who thinks that Sony is doing the wrong thing here.

I notice all the time how these kinds of arguments always rely on ignorance. For example, truthfully asking "is Boston a hotbed of coronavirus activity?" implies they A) don't already know the answer, and B) cannot think of literally any other possible reason.

It would be so much simpler if they would just say "I think Sony is not coming over for a different reason that they're not telling us" instead of making us follow breadcrumb questions. People do this a l l t h e t i m e .

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
Official Staff Communication
People are allowed to believe this is an overreaction from Sony, just like people are allowed to believe it's a sensible precaution. Do not attack others just because they disagree with you about this.
giphy.gif

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah

giphy.gif

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
This topic really shows how many people don't think before hitting that "post reply" button. Both users and mods. Yikes!

From Sony using the virus as an excuse to "it's okay if you think Sony is overreacting to cancel an expo presence due to a deadly virus".

Please go on.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
So even if a PS Meeting was planned, then it would have been delayed too.

Make it State Of Play or an online reveal and spare all the problems then.
We can't wait anymore.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I mean not everyone who believes it's an overreaction is mad about Sony for it. I personally don't think the facts support this being necessary, but I also understand that being too cautious in a situation like this is in no way a bad thing and that Sony is well within their rights to make the call they did here.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Is the coverage about Coronavirus massively different in our own countries, leading to different viewpoints on how dangerous it is? It's reported in the news in the UK, but there's not a particular panic about it. It seems like a genuine worry for some of you guys?
Depending on the locations of where the coronvirus cases were reported, how frequent the cases are reported, the quantities of the reported cases, whether or not quarantine procedures were handled accordingly, they are all factors of the public awareness to the outbreak.

In other words, if a location has a lot more active cases occurring, that location will have a higher public awareness of the situation than places with low active cases.

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People are allowed to believe this is an overreaction from Sony, just like people are allowed to believe it's a sensible precaution. Do not attack others just because they disagree with you about this.

Just when I think you guys running Era finally get it, you post shit like this.

Appalled by this thread and the official forum response.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
A plastic box announcement can wait. Jesus.

You can wait some more.

Well true but I don't think the virus problem can be solved any time soon and an online reveal is a workaround. GDC got the courage to not get cancelled and I understand that cus devs need to be there to discuss their tech but a console reveals with game trailers can happen online just like Nintendo direct. After all the whole world will watch online even if a PS Meeting happens.

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
User Banned (3 Days): Hostility across multiple posts

Ohhh boy, we got a Question Asker here. Someone who's "just asking a question, that's all". Nothing more than that! No agenda. Just asking a simple question -- "what facts do you have, good sir? May I see them? I believe it's in all our best interest to focus on this specific wording at the expense of the overall message, so that we may all Get The Facts!"

In case I'm embarrassingly mistaken, and you are genuinely seeking understanding, the facts being ignored are that Sony has given their reasoning already, and reacting to it spitefully is motivated by something more sinister than simply "oh, they're mistaken, Boston isn't actually a hotbed of coronavirus activity!"

mangochutney

Jun 11, 2018
Ohhh boy, we got a Question Asker here. Someone who's "just asking a question, that's all". Nothing more than that! No agenda. Just asking a simple question -- "what facts do you have, good sir? May I see them? I believe it's in all our best interest to focus on this specific wording at the expense of the overall message, so that we may all Get The Facts!"

In case I'm embarrassingly mistaken, and you are genuinely seeking understanding, the fact that some people are ignoring is that Sony has given their reasoning already, and speculating that they're lying is completely motivated out of spite that we don't get to see them at PAX. It's dishonest. These people don't believe that Sony is lying, they believe that they're being slighted by not being given a PAX with Sony, and hiding behind a prop belief that Sony is lying.
I am genuinely asking - I haven't read all 20 pages, but what I have read hasn't contained any facts - so I was curious what they were referring to.

Not everything has to be a drama, can people not relax?

Deleted member 8784

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I think you might need a snooze.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like an unnecessary move. Are the WHO or CDC actually cautioning anyone against travel within the USA?

calder

Oct 25, 2017
Woooo boy what a thread.

If I buy ERA Gold right now can I take a peek in the mod only forum? I'm sure it's hopping!

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
I am genuinely asking - I haven't read all 20 pages, but what I have read hasn't contained any facts - so I was curious what they were referring to.

Not everything has to be a drama, can people not relax?

Naw, I'll relax when people stop JAQing off and deflecting when they get called out. Which is probably never, tbh...

But hopefully you understood their point despite being hung up on the "facts" bit?

Raylan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Public health should be priority #1 over everything else. This decision makes sense. In the end it's just about videogames.

But some of the posts here are really something else. I mean this here is just cringe worthy beyond belief:

They absolutely deserved to be mocked constantly. There are 12 people infected with coronavirus in the United States. This is incredibly stupid.
A media created intense hype fest affecting anything is bad news. I care a lot more about the racial profiling (that my friends have suffered) that the dumbshit hype has caused but literally anything being affected is dumb as fuck.
It's a global health emergency that has affected 15 people in the United States

We should cancel all gaming events to protect ourselves from the 5G.
The coronavirus is an extremely serious and horrible situation for older people in Hubei but the level of hype it's getting in the United States is just dumb.
Caring about people's health=Good
Giving into a culture of fear over a hyped up virus that has about a 1/6000000 chance of killing you compared to alcoho or car accident=bad.
We should have no events in person because of alcohol and cars if the coronavirus is enough to cancel an event.
Alcohol and cars are significantly more dangerous than the coronavirus in the United States, yes.
1. I am indifferent to The Last of Us Part 2

2. I was never planning on attending PAX

3. I hate video game conventions

4. I don't live in Boston

5. I still hate this decision a lot as it's giving into a culture of fear over something much much much less dangerous than cars and alcohol.
Sony bowing to a culture of fear also will help push the culture of fear even more.
There is a decent chance of death at every event with a significant amount of participants who drive. This chance of death from car crash is much higher than chance of death from coronavirus.
Giving into a culture of fear and promoting the culture of fear as legitimate is dumb shit.
If they are lying about it, that's much worse as it helps contribute to the culture of fear in the United States, what the fuck is this post?
witter is full of people who think this virus will lead to World War Z...
Also, we should close grocery stores and force people to order all their food via delivery.
We should also warn against parties.
Should close schools too imo, the kids are very dirty.
If you think X is the end of the world, you will support anything to stop X, how is this a novel insight of a "let this sink in" level?
What?
Do you think that the people who are hyping up this virus as the end of the world drive cars or drink alcohol.
Or eat lots of sugar.
So they view health as the end all be all or have they watched too much CNN and too many zombie movies.
The people acting like 12 year olds are people hyping up every foreign virus as the end of the world because their medical knowledge comes from World War Z.
I do not care at all about The Last of Us 2, I care a lot about promoting a culture of fear which has taken over the United States and infected it with more racism than before.
Yikes.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As many others in this thread have already said about this post, public safety is more important than some fucking video game news. PAX is an event that is very crowded and will likely have people coming in from all over the world. It is very easy to get sick at an event like this.

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Public health should be priority #1 over everything else. This decision makes sense. In the end it's just about videogames.

But some of the posts here are really something else. I mean this here is just cringe worthy beyond belief:

Yikes.

Just people expressing their opinion that Sony is overreacting. Nothing to see here.

Drencrom

Oct 25, 2017
SWE

Yikes.

That poster has a history of console warring and trolling. Just ignore as the moderation team never deals with him.

Oct 26, 2017

Yikes.

"Public health should be priority #1 above all else" is a philosophy that, taken to this extreme of cancelling an event over a virus that one person in the state has, is never followed by anyone in any context and would be pretty weird to follow.

Should you not go to parties during the winter because you could get the flu and then give it to other people.

This is a much bigger public health concern than the possibility of the coronavirus at PAX East.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
The company I work for has a strict travel policy right now because of Coronavirus - no non-essential travel whatsoever and n+2 (or higher) review and approval for essential trips.

Seems like it's a pretty reasonable thing to do, a multinational corporation restricting non-essential travel. Especially to a venue that will attract a large multinational audience.

But I guess that's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.