• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
If Sony play their cards right they can use Corona virus to delay the ps5 launch to next year. That way they can push their commitment they made with end of this year.
yOfDgWi.gif

Oct 31, 2019
So I would bet that some more big/small time attendees will follow suit and either cancel their show or limit the show floor interaction to a minimum.

Who will be next?

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
I mean keep in mind that when we talk about this issue each EU member country isn't that functionally different from an individual US state, since people from one can freely travel to the others, so it's a bit different than the normal situation between countries
That is why there's risk, despite checking flights from China and so on, freedom of traveling, in Europe, or US, once a single infected has avoided controls, is enough. Since there's been quite a debate here in Barcelona due to the cancellation of MWC, and having listened lots of explanations and arguments from both sides, for and against the cancellation, i would say being cautious is the most reasonable approach. It seems the real problem with this virus is not that is very dangerous, but very easy to spread and cause an epidemic episode.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
There's no "playing their cards right". If Sony delays the PS5 it's due to delays on the production line due to people getting sick. There isn't some conspiracy behind the scenes.

Never meant that there is some kind of conspiracy. If the facts align against a launch this year it is what it is.

by "play their cards right" you mean hope the Coronavirus continues to infect people?

By playing cards right I meant how Sony decides to manage the risk regarding corona virus.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That is why there's risk, despite checking flights from China and so on, freedom of traveling, in Europe, or US, once a single infected has avoided controls, is enough. Since there's been quite a debate here in Barcelona due to the cancellation of MWC, and having listened lots of explanations and arguments from both sides, for and against the cancellation, i would say being cautious is the most reasonable approach. It seems the real problem with this virus is not that is very dangerous, but very easy to spread and cause an epidemic episode.
Obviously, and I'm not trying to dismiss caution or even shame Sony for their actions since even if it is an overreaction that's obviously preferable to the alternative. And yeah, that's why I'd be more worried about a case originating from somewhere besides China causing an outbreak here, since it's very, very unlikely that it wouldn't be caught and handled for someone coming from China or other high risk areas because we're way more careful with screening them

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Never meant that there is some kind of conspiracy. If the facts align against a launch this year it is what it is.

By playing cards right I meant how Sony decides to manage the risk regarding corona virus.

If they didn't feel like they could or wanted to launch in 2020, why would they need an excuse? They'd just delay it. The PS5 was not even going to he at PAX yet people are drawing all of these dumb ass theories and conspiracies about the PS5 based on them pulling out of PAX. What you are saying is stupid and makes no sense.

RoninZ

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe they should do a State of Play for PAX and release a demo onto the PS Store and be all good for the people who are hoping for some Sony news. They are right to protect their employees tho however way they see fit, it's not like Sony would avoid PAX since it's a big event without a reason.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
That's unfortunate. For the arrangers and for those especially wanting to see Sony's stuff

I do find it weird though, there should be slim to no risk considering the location of the event. But if this is the way Sony want's it there's nothing to do but respect that.

From my very own experience we do have travelling rules in my line of work since the outbreak, some part of China are no-go zones and to visit most parts and Hong Kong it needs approval from the very top. But no other place in the world you're free to travel to and attend events.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
This thread is absolutely peak era, it's got everything: rampant hyperbole, controversial mod posts, dog-piling, console warring, conspiracy theories, and more.

*chef's kiss*

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
As someone in the Boston area and who works in Boston, I get it. It's not about the local situation. It's about the fact that companies from all over the world, many from countries that are having issues with the virus, are all going to be together in one place, plus there's the issue of also traveling there from/through said countries. I think it's smart and proactive.

Miggytronz

Oct 26, 2017
Virginia Beach, VA
this is my 3rd PAX and i'm super bummed about this year..........No XBOX and now no SONY. I have lots of PC stuff to explore but SONY had alot of real estate invested at PAX, wonder how they will fill the space.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
That staff post is a joke. Safety of your staff is the responsible approach

VodkaFX

May 31, 2018
Also unless I am missing something, why do people keep comparing this to the seasonal flu.

The fatality rate is higher for corona virus, its still relatively new and no vaccine is available yet. And I doubt those numbers coming out from China are real either...

Beuntje

Oct 29, 2017
Is it an American thing to be so overconcerned about the Corona virus? I work for a performing arts company in Europe that travels a lot internationally, we perform for big, international crowds, and Corona doesn't seem to impact that at all. No cancellations by other companies, hosting venues/arts festivals either… It's just something that doesn't come to mind.

I'm not directly talking about Sony's decision, because I can see why they went for it, but the reactions in this thread make me wonder

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Better safe than sorry. I wonder what they had planned though.

If it wasn't going to be a huge showing or anything, then yeah, why risk it and save money.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Is it an American thing to be so overconcerned about the Corona virus? I work for a performing arts company in Europe that travels a lot internationally, we perform for big, international crowds, and Corona doesn't seem to impact that at all. No cancellations by other companies, hosting venues/arts festivals either…

I'm not directly talking about Sony's decision, because I can see why they went for it, but the reactions in this thread make me wonder

yes. The Coronavirus concern is strictly an America thing. The country has basically shut down.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Is it an American thing to be so overconcerned about the Corona virus? I work for a performing arts company in Europe that travels a lot internationally, we perform for big, international crowds, and Corona doesn't seem to impact that at all. No cancellations by other companies, hosting venues/arts festivals either…
Sony is a Japanese corporation, and the perception on the Coronavirus is a lot more serious over there obviously.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Is it an American thing to be so overconcerned about the Corona virus? I work for a performing arts company in Europe that travels a lot internationally, we perform for big, international crowds, and Corona doesn't seem to impact that at all. No cancellations by other companies, hosting venues/arts festivals either… It's just something that doesn't come to mind.

I mean, they just cancelled MWC...

mangochutney

Jun 11, 2018
Well, it seems that the president of MWC, who is american , was influenced, on top of cancellations, by CDC recommendations.
Yes MWC probably has more Chinese people attending than other events,but any important meeting, conference etc is a potential risk. As i said, the 2 cases in Spain were, if not mistaken , a German and an English, both coming from conferences in Europe , apparently not related with China, yet they had the virus. So even overreaction, seems the right thing to me, at least hold the expansion as much as possible until a vaccine is created.
And i think cancelling a few events is not a major thing.
It will be interesting, if things continue like this, what will happen with Olympic games for example.
MWC organisers were desperate for heath organisations to give them something to tell their insurers so they could cancel the event and not lose money.

You're right that MWC has a strong Chinese presence, and of course mobiles are typically exclusively made in China and so with the flight bans it made it very difficult for those Chinese companies to attend, even if they were willing to go there and also may have proven more challenging for all companies to get their products there.

Once the Chinese companies started pulling out and a few others followed suit the rest joined in and the organisers were left with a shell of a show.

Let's keep in mind here that you cannot enter the US if you've been the deeply affected areas and you're not a US citizen, and if you are a US citizen who has been there you must undergo quarantine.

Outside of China and that cruise ship docked in Japan there's been very few cases, under 500 and that's since day 1 - most of those people have recovered.

Data was released today breaking down Chinese cases by sex, age etc. The mortality rate for those under 40 has been 0.2%.

I think the risk for PAX East would be incredibly small, so I do think it is an odd decision. But they're free to make whichever call they want.

And to others bringing up the 2009 swine flu incident, do keep in mind that had infected millions at the time it was held. Millions in the US.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
If they didn't feel like they could or wanted to launch in 2020, why would they need an excuse? They'd just delay it. The PS5 was not even going to he at PAX yet people are drawing all of these dumb ass theories and conspiracies about the PS5 based on them pulling out of PAX. What you are saying is stupid and makes no sense.

Yeah you are right. Don't know what I was thinking.

m0dus

Truant Pixel
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Ironically, the biggest concern is influenza-A , NOT COVID. Flu A has started running rampant due to poor strain targeting with this years vaccines.

what's doubly ironic is, the extra steps PAX will be taking to curb spread of coronavirus due to public fear (additional signage, sanitizing stations, gloves / masks etc.) will likely benefit prevention of influenza spread, making the show floor potentially safer than it would have been otherwise.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

You said they could use the Corona virus as a reason to delay the PS5. If that isn't some conspiracy shit, I don't know what is.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't gives two fucking shits about the PS5, delay it forever if it means no more people have to be infected with a virus.

fiveshift

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 10, 2018
Honestly the reality of these situations from an HR perspective is that a few employees had concerns and didn't want to travel so they feel obligated to cancel the whole thing so those employees don't lose face. You could offer that going is completely optional but it leaves lingering obligation since you are an employee so this decision just removes that from the equation. I don't think it's some PS5 conspiracy since it's not great press from the POV of PAX East ticket holders and I doubt Sony gets a refund on their Expo lease.

Travel is already restricted from China to US so that is not really a risk. Covid-19 as far as the US is concerned is more a perception of risk than an actual risk.

I'm not really surprised some posters put up some PS5 theories even if ill-thought out but I am surprised at the number of posters essentially cyber bullying them rather that providing constructive discourse. In my head I picture a parent spanking their child as they tell them not to hit other children.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
TLOU2 demo is not that serious to put their employees at risk.

The full release will sell gang Buster's with out showing up at Pax.

People are coming across as selfish in here.

Raxus

Oct 26, 2017
Ironically, the biggest concern is influenza-A , NOT COVID. Flu A has started running rampant due to poor strain targeting with this years vaccines.

what's doubly ironic is, the extra steps PAX will be taking to curb spread of coronavirus due to public fear (additional signage, sanitizing stations, gloves / masks etc.) will likely benefit prevention of influenza spread, making the show floor potentially safer than it would have been otherwise.
Yep, I got the vaccine and still wound up with Flu-A. Shit sucks. Honestly I dunno why extra signage, hand sanitizer out the wazoo, gloves and masks (is uppose this is the biggest ask since a covered face makes it hard to present a product) aren't standard to presenters at events like this. It would cut down on a lot of contact and droplet spread illnesses.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Probably referring to things like how some Chinese restaurants in the US are taking a huge hit because people think they'll catch it from eating Orange Chicken like detailed in this thread: https://www.resetera.com/threads/sa...s-plummet-following-coronavirus-panic.170790/

Acting like there's no bad science or fear mongering (later in the thread you'll see a Japanese restaurant in France vandalized with the name of the virus) about this topic is frankly a bit silly.

That has nothing to do with this thread though. I don't see anyone bringing up that kind silly conspiracy theory into discussion. Sony taking precaution for their employees is not bad science or fear mongering.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
That has nothing to do with this thread though. I don't see anyone bringing up that kind silly conspiracy theory into discussion. Sony taking precaution for their employees is not bad science or fear mongering.
You can be morally praiseworthy for believing that your employees should not be put at risk, while still having that risk be sourced in questionable scientific footing.

They are not mutually exclusive points. People can respect Sony for taking a financial hit to protect their staff, while also worrying that such a proactive move may spread unnecessary paranoia on the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.