• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I don't get why people are mad at the mod post, it's basically saying discuss the situation and don't attack people, which seems reasonable to me if you want a forum with a good level of discussion

People seem to want the mods to confirm the correct opinion and then what? Let everyone just agree? Might as well lock the thread

Either way it's been derailed now so might as well lock the thread anyway. Chalk this up to "the Era community needs to do better"
People are okay to think Sony is overreacting but they're the ones overreacting with conspiracy theories.

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
The staff post was edited to be more reasonable. It was poorly worded and just came across as them telling people that the stupid conspiracy theory posts are fine.

While, yes, the original wording was not exactly elegantly written, people were very clearly choosing to read a more negative take on the post when it was very clearly intended to just be "don't be fucking assholes to each other".

Raxus

Oct 26, 2017
The death toll from this epidemic (now more than 2000 dead) is approaching the number of lives lost in the 911 attacks and it's not slowing down.
So should we shut everything down every flu season? After all it killed an estimated 14k people this year IN THE US ALONE low balling the estimate.

I get why Sony took the precautions and I respect them protecting their employees. I also don't want everyone shutting the fuck down every time a health scare comes along.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
People need to calm the fuck down. The dangers of COVID-19, perceived or actual, are not an excuse for all rationality to be thrown out the window on either side and for people to personally insult others.

Sony was well within their rights to withdraw from PAX East. I hope (and personally believe) they used a decision-making process that was rational and supported by sound evidence and one that took into account the wishes of their employees. Even if it might be an overreaction, as long as the company made the decision fairly, I respect them for it.

I also have concerns about the inevitable domino effect Sony's move will have on people's perceptions of COVID-19. If a large company makes an important decision based on unsupported science or misinterpreting information from the WHO or any other organization, that will have negative social consequences as well (as xenophobic reactions have shown). I choose to believe Sony made this in good faith but the potential consequences are worth mentioning.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
I appreciate the work the mods do on Gaming side considering how much hostility and toxic behavior is pervasive here on an hourly basis. It's basically a fulltime job. Thank you for the staff post, which there's nothing wrong with whatsoever

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
I mean, we recently had several major companies cancelling their plans to attend the Mobile World Congress at Barcelona, I don't see how this is any different.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
People are okay to think Sony is overreacting but they're the ones overreacting with conspiracy theories.

I honestly don't know enough about the situation or the virus to be able to form an opinion, so I came here to read the discussion so I could make up my mind, but that was pointless because people are losing their minds over the mod post for some reason

That said, apparently it was edited, and I don't know what the pre edited mod post said, so maybe it was worth getting upset over. The post at it stands seems reasonable to me. Discuss things and don't attack people is a good rule for a forum, or so i thought anyway

Angst

Oct 27, 2017

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
So should we shut everything down every flu season? After all it killed an estimated 14k people this year IN THE US ALONE low balling the estimate.
No, but you should take reasonable precautions. Now, if you wanted to stay in your house all flu season, well that would be your prerogative, just like it is sony's prerogative to not attend this event. It is a large gathering of people where illnesses can spread easy (think of all the people handling controllers, the international traveling, and the long incubation period of this virus where people may not be symptomatic), so they had to weigh if taking the hit to their business was worth it. In this instance they chose to put their employees first and not force anyone to go.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
People need to calm the fuck down. The dangers of COVID-19, perceived or actual, are not an excuse for all rationality to be thrown out the window on either side and for people to personally insult others.

Sony was well within their rights to withdraw from PAX East. I hope (and personally believe) they used a decision-making process that was rational and supported by sound evidence and one that took into account the wishes of their employees. Even if it might be an overreaction, as long as the company made the decision fairly, I respect them for it.

I also have concerns about the inevitable domino effect Sony's move will have on people's perceptions of COVID-19. If a large company makes an important decision based on unsupported science or misinterpreting information from the WHO or any other organization, that will have negative social consequences as well (as xenophobic reactions have shown). I choose to believe Sony made this in good faith but the potential consequences are worth mentioning.
Yeah I think Sony is overreacting, but I also don't think it's a big deal.
though Honestly if someone with Corona virus actually did attend a big convention like this it'd be such a disaster that I'm not sure whether you go or not would make much of a difference since it would almost certainly lead to several major outbreaks. The fact that cons like this are still allowed to run right now despite this should show us that the chances of that happening are really low

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
anti-vax? link please?
Some people in the thread were (I believe unfairly) comparing the staff post and defences of it to anti-vax thinking. I think the poster you were responding to was just on that topic.

Thinking that there is room for judgement in whether or not to exceed recommended health precautions isn't anti-vax.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A bit of an overreaction. Could cut back on floor interactions, turn away those with cold symptoms at demo stations, and other means. The risk is obviously there still, but the chances are quite slim of an outbreak there.

I don't get why people are mad at the mod post, it's basically saying discuss the situation and don't attack people, which seems reasonable to me if you want a forum with a good level of discussion

People seem to want the mods to confirm the correct opinion and then what? Let everyone just agree? Might as well lock the thread

Either way it's been derailed now so might as well lock the thread anyway. Chalk this up to "the Era community needs to do better"
Seems mostly people being triggered by the 'both sides' framing, even though it's a different situation than the usual issues involved. Telling that those extremes (anti-vaxxers) are being brought in by others responding to that post than anything it was addressing is telling. This is easily the dumbest meltdown I've seen from the community, and I remember the Twilight Princess review thread.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Exactly. If this kind of response was appropriate you would see organizations like the CDC and WHO recommending the cancellation of all international events. Nothing of the sort has even remotely happened.
www.cdc.gov

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) in the U.S.

View the number of confirmed cases COVID-19 in the United States.

There are cases in the US, and CDC seems to have given recommendations and that is probably one of the reasons MWC was cancelled. And everything started when a single company announced that wasn't attending it. Then the others followed.

But let's pretend nothing happens, and when we have the virus all over the world, and people die, we will see who we blame.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
This sound fair. In compensation, however, they could do a livestream for some key content, most of all, certain video game by Naughty Dog.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno... Maybe because an airborne virus that has already killed thousands, infected hundreds of thousands, and should be a concern in some capacity for any human being traveling around the planet, is not an opinion but an actual fact?
It is not an airborne virus.
Also there are approximately 75'000 confirmed cases.

Obviously there will be other cases which haven't been confirmed yet but saying it has infected "hundreds of thousands" is alarmist.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hold up, one of the first companies to pull out of MWC in Barcelona also pulled out of this? No way!

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017

Part of the problem is that, right now, the WHO defers risk assessment to people and companies individually. It's up to you to assess the risk. Obviously some people/companies will be more or less risk averse in these circumstances than others, so you'll have varying responses. I mean, actually, maybe this isn't a problem per se, but it's just how it is. I'm not sure there's an objectively right or wrong answer here. I doubt in cases like this the decision to either press ahead, or withdraw from something is taken lightly, though, and I'm sure it's done in good faith. No-one would go into a decision process like that wanting to disrupt plans... if Sony didn't want to attend PAX for other reasons, I'm sure they'd have no problem saying so (see: E3).

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
I don't feel all that bad about Pax missing out on a playable TLOU2 demo. I'm getting my dose of post apocalyptic manhunts in this thread.

sado0og

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I guess it's related to the shortage of DRAM for ps5, as they also cancelling the mirrorless camera feature in mobiles for same reasons, but they make corona and safety excuses to delay

Ombala

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Why do so many ppl freak out? It's not like they where going to have a big stage show and show PS5 or something.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
www.cdc.gov

There are cases in the US, and CDC seems to have given recommendations and that is probably one of the reasons MWC was cancelled. And everything started when a single company announced that wasn't attending it. Then the others followed.

But let's pretend nothing happens, and when we have the virus all over the world, and people die, we will see who we blame.
The mobile market is a lot more dependent on China.

As far as CDC recommendations go, basically do everything you would do for the flu. Avoid non-essential travel from China. Don't travel if you are sick, and go to the Doctor if you are sick after traveling.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
www.cdc.gov

There are an incredibly small number of cases in the US which are already being quarantined. The restrictions on travel and limitations placed on people who might be at risk make it highly unlikely that you'll randomly Run into someone carrying the disease over here. A lot of care is being done to prevent an outbreak in the US and if the risk was enough to really merit concern the CDC would start recommending against gatherings like this in the first place which they aren't doing at the moment

TimStone

Banned
Jan 28, 2020
Sony probably thought it was safer because you know China has the same air as Boston and we know this spreads by air.

;-p I am just joking for those that haven't figured that out yet.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
User banned (1 month): racist joke, trolling
The convention center is practically around the corner from Chinatown, but yeah... Sucks for people who were going to PAX for Sony's stuff.

NightMystic

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't there a PAX in the past where someone with swine flu spread it to those on the showfloor?

I get that the COVID-19 isn't as wide spread here, but I don't blame them for being cautious. Some people refuse to stay home sick against their better judgement.

Status
Not open for further replies.