• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 31, 2017
"People are free to believe that vaccines don't work and are bad, just like people are free to believe that vaccines do work!"

Fucking terrible, my god. There's a global pandemic and Sony exercises reasonable caution, and people piss their pants over some fucking video games, when Sony themselves are the ones losing the most from this.

The entitlement of people is off the fucking charts. Seeing responses in threads like this, it's no fucking wonder someone like Donald John Trump is the fucking President of the United States. Of course he is! Technology is destroying our brains and ability to think rationally, responses in this thread is all you need to see.

There are plenty of great, intelligent posters in this thread and on this forum, it's a big reason I love this place. But there's also a ton of horrible, dangerous people present too it seems...

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
Official Staff Communication
People are allowed to believe this is an overreaction from Sony, just like people are allowed to believe it's a good call. Attacking other members for not following your belief on the matter will not be tolerated and will be moderated accordingly
People are allowed to believe that a global health emergency is an overreaction.
Enough era for today

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
TIL it's okay to criticize a company for putting the health of their employees first over fucking video games lol. It doesn't matter if said decision was an overreaction, it's better to err on the side of caution especially when air travel is involved.
Hyperbole, meet hyperbole.

Edit: His post, not yours.

Last edited:

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
What global medical advice indicates skipping a show in Boston is recommended to stop the spread of the virus?

There's people here overreacting on both sides. Skipping the show is unnecessary, but it's also not that big of a deal.

But is it our place to judge, harshly in some cases, as necessary or unnecessary something that has no material impact on our lives? Sure, games are a valid hobby/something folks are really, really into, and have made differences in people's lives, but saying that they (Sony) deserve to be mocked and defending it for what is essentially putting safety first is just plain wrong.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not syre why a staff post amounting to "Don't be a dick" is getting such a bad reception.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
The argument that Sony's bowing out of this event is irrational is backed up by the fact that no other companies are backing out of the same event and almost no one in the U.S is even concerning themselves with this virus right now.

Trying to argue that Sony is being reasonable is also arguing that everyone else attending conferences all over the U.S every single day is being unreasonable.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The staff post is bad because it essentially gives validation to the insanely stupid conspiracy theories laid out in some of the post in the first few pages. It's not a "belief" to think that people deserve to be mocked because they chose to prioritize health over work, it's just being an asshole.

That being said I do think it's a bit overreacting to cancel their entire presence instead of like maybe limiting the amount of staff/space you'll hold there. Tons of other publishers with a global workforce will be present and dont consider that theres a real risk of infection with how they've prepared their plans. But like, there's never anything wrong with being overly safe. It's not like they chose it out of comfort, they probably lost a lot of money with this decision.

Oct 25, 2017
I am perplexed by your question. Of course you can make this argument and try to convince others that you are correct. That's what a discussion is. All the staff post said is to not attack other posters. It's written very plainly...

Respectfully, if the post was written plainly, I don't think it would be getting the reaction that it has.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
User Banned (1 Week): Hostility and inflammatory accusations, mod whining
So has the author of the "Official Staff Communication" bailed the thread or what? You would at least assume they would defend/elaborate on their their anti-vax stance.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair a lot of people choose not to leave when a hurricane is coming too, it doesn't make it any less serious

That's a good analogy actually, VERY few people die in hurricanes in the USA but apparently Sony should be fine with sending employees right into the cone for a marketing event

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
No one is saying a virus is a belief, people. Calm down.

It's about whether or not Sony's reaction is justified or not. The virus is real, but there's also plenty of fearmongering and bad science surrounding it.

Putting their workforce's health first isn't fearmongering or bad science, jesus christ.

Deleted member 63139

Banned
Jan 17, 2020
Better safe than sorry,...but I still feel that the paranoia level is too high.

I hope Sony does also apply the same precaution for employees travelling, since airports are way more dangerous than the PAX.
Also subways, malls etc there's no 0% risk anyways. This is why the line between cautious and paranoiac is quite thin.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017

It's about whether or not Sony's reaction is justified or not. The virus is real, but there's also plenty of fearmongering and bad science surrounding it.

What bad science? We're dealing with a global outbreak with the virus that hasn't been fully understood yet. Researches are still being experimenting but people are already dying. Any precaution regarding this crisis is fully justified.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017

Here's how I'm looking at it: it's not like a meeting of the g7 or something, it's just a games convention. Little is lost here except for people who bought tickets, and I agree it does suck for them especially if they can't get refunds. I feel like we should be happy that a company is being proactive and putting people before profits. Most of the pushback seems to amount to people saying "it's not that bad" and not caring at all about the employees which to me really sucks, it's almost like people think they should be forced to go.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Feels like a slight overreaction to me. I agree that you need to be careful, but given the current situation I think it'd be sufficient to just prevent people who had recently been to China (or around someone who had done so recently) from going, maybe if you want to be extra cautious extend it to people who'd been to some of the surrounding countries (notably Japan in this case)

unless there were enough of these people who needed to be involved I think attending without them would still have been fine

that said it's not a big deal and there will be other events in the future

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Overreaction but being on the safe side isn't really a big deal. Then again I don't really care for PAX outside of indie stuff.

Sony probably don't want to risk all their important dev team people meeting up in one place and all getting sick.

Are they the only company doing this so far?

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
People are allowed to believe that a global health emergency is an overreaction.
Enough era for today

I guess it bears repeating:

A Global Health Emergency doesn't mean what you think it means. It doesn't mean that there is now a virus that will destroy the world. There has been a Global Health Emergency going on since 2018 . Were you afraid to leave the house? Did you want companies to bow out of conventions?

The official word is that this is a Global Health Emergency. The official word is ALSO that the dangers for the American Public are "low". This doesn't contradict each other. And this is why some people think this is an overreaction. Not the Global Health Emergency is the overreaction. People's reaction to the Global Health Emergency is the overreation, because the media absolutely failed at explaining what that actually means (and doesn't mean).

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
This definitely wasn't a decision made lightly. As Imran said, tons of cash is being lost on this for them. Sony's doing the right thing to protect their staff and the contractors they work with. How are people even mad at this decision?

Somethings are real hard to Xplain man

Look, I get the concern I really do.

But this is just becoming too ironic and Sony is starting to become a meme. I honestly think there is more internal turmoil internally than what we are aware of; especially with the PS5.

I respect their decision on this but I doubt them pulling out in its entirety is because of the covid 19, but it is the easiest way to pull out from the event with the least amount of PR damage.

Why dont they go all digital for the event ? Provisions can be made and adapted and there is no reason they cant "attend" via this method.

How does this indicate ANYTHING regarding the PS5? What internal turmoil? lol

LeonSPBR

Oct 25, 2017
Baffled by the reaction to the staff post. i see very little if anything wrong with it.

Sony seems to be the only company pulling out of pax. they were at DICE just last week. they were at CES a little over a month ago. they are going to be at GDC next month.

im extremely surprised at the hostility aimed at the mods in this thread.

Pretty sure Corona Virus wasn't an epidemic with thousands of deaths in early January when CES happened.

Also Imram already stated that Sony is worried for GDC, so they mighty pull out.

And about DICE, I don't think Sony had a booth or something like it, just some people.

And the hostility is partially "both sides" and partially some people here are using this to console warrior or create a conspiracy about the PS5, and the mods are doing shit.

ThatOneGuy

Dec 3, 2018
Genuine question, are there other boards online similar to Era that people have good experiences with? Sizable communities and such?

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
That seems to be the reaction with how everyone is aghast at the possibility that someone is allowed to disagree with the logic behind Sony's decision to pull out.
If people want to say it's an overreaction itself, then I guess whatever. Sony made a decision that being very safe in a risky situation. A huge reason for why there are only 15 confirmed cases in the US so far is the safe guards. There were two people here in Illinois, a husband and wife, and they immediately went to a hospital, in isolation, quarantined for weeks, then a week cased in at home.

Deleted member 10747

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Official Staff Communication
People are allowed to believe this is an overreaction from Sony, just like people are allowed to believe it's a sensible precaution. Do not attack others just because they disagree with you about this.
Holy shit WTF..... In what reality have i come into? I know you like to joke but you really shouldn't do that in a serious thread........Stop playing

The fuck is going on in this thread...!
up there with that time a mod determined a poster's blood alcohol content through a message board?
lol What????

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
"People are free to believe that vaccines don't work and are bad, just like people are free to believe that vaccines do work!"
This is not what the staff post is saying at all. The staff post did not say that viruses are a belief.

Holy fuck, people.

I'm not syre why a staff post amounting to "Don't be a dick" is getting such a bad reception.
I wonder ;)

Is exactly some of the arguments anti-vaxxers use. I guess we will start accepting them in this place?
Thinking that cancelling an event is an overreaction is not as similarly anti-science as being an anti-vaxxer. Come on.

Putting their workforce's health first isn't fearmongering or bad science, jesus christ.
Didn't say it was. I don't have a problem with this cancellation myself.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
Baffled by the reaction to the staff post. i see very little if anything wrong with it.

Sony seems to be the only company pulling out of pax. they were at DICE just last week. they were at CES a little over a month ago. they are going to be at GDC next month.

im extremely surprised at the hostility aimed at the mods in this thread.
Yeah I was wondering that as well. Why did Sony attend CES, Dice and planning to attend GDC as of right now. But skipping PAX. Just seems random. Doesn't make sense if it was a company wide mandate.

Status
Not open for further replies.