• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The lack of empathy on display is kind of nuts. This and some other recent threads have been really embarrassing.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is a good thread to know who to put on ignore.

Also, please stop thinking games and reputation are more important than health.

Oct 26, 2017
pretty weird to see the dude that argued that drinking alcohol should be more strictly enforced in the United States also argue that we shouldn't do anything to mitigate an illness that has been flagged as a Crisis by WHO. it's as if everything you do is contrarian posturing lmao

How many in the United States have died from alcohol in 2020 vs. the coronavirus, please describe.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
This is an absolutely ridiculous decision not based on facts or caution but scare tactics and hyperventilation.

It doesn't make any rational sense to do this while otherwise attending events when the Flu season is going. 10.000 people have died of the flu in the United States in this last season alone. Compared to that, 15 people were found infected with Corvid-19 in the entire United States.

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you look at it from the perspective of someone planning to attend, I can see how it's a shitty situation. Those PAX tickets are expensive. And at this point, it's probably too late to try and sell them and get your money back. You certainly couldn't refund them. So what do you do if more vendors cancel PAX and thus making it somewhat pointless to even attend. Just be out $600 or more?

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
This is an absolutely ridiculous decision not based on facts or caution but scare tactics, hyperventilating and misinformation.

It doesn't make any rational sense to do this while otherwise attending events when the Flu season is going. 10.000 people have died of the flu in the United States in this last season alone. Compared to that, 15 people were found infected with Corvid-19 in the entire United States.
They haven't been attending any events this season. If anything, this seems like a corporate mandate for all parts of the company.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
I like how people comparing going to work to a even that draws people from around the world, my god.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Do you think we should listen to the medical professionals who declared this a global health emergency or nah, they might know better then you or me what that constitutes.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's more due to how close to the event they made the call, and the inconsistency in reaction when compared to the local area - as well as the rest of the industry.

Sony also pulling out of MWC makes me think it's an overall corporate mandate. But then you see them still attending GDC and see the inconsistency there as well.

Poor communication from PR makes people doubt your intentions.

According to Imran they're nervous about GDC as well

Sony is particularly cautious about this one and has expressed concerns to other organizations and events, like GDC, about Coronavirus. They don't want any of their people to be sick at what are essentially international events. No dam has broken yet, they do not want to be a part of a dam breaking.

GDC is still a month away, so it's possible that things will be under control a bit more by then.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Should we question Nintendo's decision of going to Pax?
Question as in will they be there? They haven't done any promotions for it and haven't listed what games are going to be showing up there, so maybe?
Question as in why are they going there? Not really, cancelling an event like this is a big financial loss and bureaucratic mess and barring a recommendation by medical experts or the government to not attend events like this it isn't really something that should be viewed as a negative. It's good that Sony is doing this out of an overabundance of caution but other companies shouldn't be blamed for not cancelling given the many factors involved in such a decision

Papilloma

Oct 27, 2017
It's worth remembering that this isn't really about the risk to individuals attending PAX East, it is about trying to stop spread of the virus.

The R0 figure for the coronavirus is estimated to be about 2.0 to 2.5. This means that every person infected may infect 2 others. Hence there is a desire to isolate those with the virus to prevent spread. The "Spanish flu" pandemic in about 1918 had a similar R0 value and infected about 27% of the world population.

Although the mortality rate for the coronavirus seems quite low at about 2%, if the virus spreads uncontrolled then this will be 2% of a pretty big number. We're still in the early stages of this outbreak, so caution is a sensible response.

Jan 29, 2018
This is an absolutely ridiculous decision not based on facts or caution but scare tactics and hyperventilation.

Once infected the mortality rate of coronavirus is roughly 20x higher than the flu.

The average person may be more at risk from the flu, but why take the unnecessary risk when the situation is still developing and there's still much we don't know?

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Oh wow. My spouse is a nurse, and to my knowledge, they haven't been doing anything special at her hospital. Have you had any conovirus cases/patients at your workplace?
I'm in an office to make things worse! Nothing that I now of just an email that we got from management at the start of the week. We do interact with a lot of pharmacists though so I can see the angle they're coming from. This is in the UK BTW.

coldcrush

Jun 11, 2018
Really glad Sony put the health and safety of real people over pixels. Any other take on this is pretty scary.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Have you thought about why that might be the case? Do you know that affected countries have companies trying to make their workers work from home and cancelled business trips?

Sony cancelling this is one way for them to not accidentally bring the virus to America.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
10,500 people were killed by drunk driving in the United States in 2018.
You don't seem to understand this simple notion: What is the risk of spreading Coronavirus if they do the event versus if they don't, and which is lower. It is a lower risk if they do not do the event. Lower risk is good. Just because some *other* things have a higher risk isn't an argument. If you don't want to drive because you are worried about drunk drivers, that is your choice and you are entitled to it.

Imagine a man is eating a hamburger while walking across a tightrope. Obviously, the greater danger is that he falls, but it would be a good idea for him to not be eating a hamburger at that moment as well, it makes his situation worse.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
It's worth remembering that this isn't really about the risk to individuals attending PAX East, it is about trying to stop spread of the virus.

The R0 figure for the coronavirus is estimated to be about 2.0 to 2.5. This means that every person infected may infect 2 others. Hence there is a desire to isolate those with the virus to prevent spread. The "Spanish flu" pandemic in about 1918 had a similar R0 value and infected about 27% of the world population.

Although the mortality rate for the coronavirus seems quite low at about 2%, if the virus spreads uncontrolled then this will be 2% of a pretty big number. We're still in the early stages of this outbreak, so caution is a sensible response.
Hey can we get a threadmark up in here ^^

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
I guess the PS5 reveal event is going to be like a mock TLOU-universe event where armed guards will scan people to make sure they aren't infected before letting them into the conference auditorium.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People complaining in this thread is almost unreal to me. People are literally dying even here in the UK and you're pissed off because you can't get a new trailer.

WOW.

Just WOW

klier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
User warned: Ableist language.
The lack of empathy on display is kind of nuts. This and some other recent threads have been really embarrassing.

Empathy??? For what?

They are cancelling an event in BOSTON, not in central WUHAN ffs.
Completely and utterly out of proportion.
Listen, they can release the PS5 or whatever whenever they want, but this virus excuse is nothing short of retarded.

Oct 26, 2017
You are like this massive ball of false equivalence manifesting as a forum poster somehow. Are you even human?

Take a step back and look at what you are posting. Is Sony going to Pax or not going to Pax really that important?

Continued giving into a culture of fear and contributing to that culture of fear is important yes. I don't care about The Last of Us Part 2 at all, I do care that people stop hyping this up as the end of the world to justify restrictions on people.

"But the WHO declared it a global state of emergency!" yes and they said this was mostly so that the coronavirus didn't spread to poor countries with bad health care systems. They also didn't recommend limiting travel to China either...

www.aljazeera.com

WHO declares coronavirus global emergency as death toll rises

China’s health commission says the number of confirmed coronavirus cases rose to 9,692 with at least 213 deaths.

Earthed

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Sep 26, 2019
You are like this massive ball of false equivalence manifesting as a forum poster somehow. Are you even human?

Take a step back and look at what you are posting. Is Sony going to Pax or not going to Pax really that important?

tumblr_o8xz7rCLzS1vragpoo2_250.gifv

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Do you think we should listen to the medical professionals who declared this a global health emergency or nah, they might know better then you or me what that constitutes.

You mean the medical professionals who ALSO said that "The risk to the American public is "low""?

The risk to the American public is "low" at this time, said Robert Redfield, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
www.cnbc.com

Trump imposes travel restrictions, mandatory quarantines over coronavirus outbreak

The briefing came as markets fell amid increasing worries about a potential economic impact of the coronavirus outbreak originating from China.

Do you know that there is another Global Health Emergency and that it has been going on for *checks calender* 2 years now?

Have you been afraid to go to public events last year because of Ebola? Do you think Sony should have skipped doing conventions ever since 2018? I'd guess probably not, because that would be crazy. And this is exactly what I'm talking about. There is a media frenzy around this virus that is completely ridiculous. That's the reason people read "GLOBAL HEALTH EMERGENCY" and think "OH SHIT WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE", because they have no idea what that phrase actually entails OR that they've been living with a global health emergency for over 2 years now.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Not that I disagree with their decision, but I imagine Sony being a Japanese corporation has some influence.
I'm sure it does. I was in Tokyo during the big hurricane in October where like everything was closed for precautionary purposes. It was barely raining that day and when it did rain, it didn't rain any harder than it does where I live.

Minions

Oct 25, 2017
I'm more than 50% on chances for ps5 delay to 2021.

If its delayed, its due to the fact the factories are currently shut down and are not being reopened for month(s). No factories = no PS5's. There will be large global shortages of lots of products, and materials. We just are not feeling the affects yet.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Continued giving into a culture of fear and contributing to that culture of fear is important yes. I don't care about The Last of Us Part 2 at all, I do care that people stop hyping this up as the end of the world to justify restrictions on people.

This is a preventive measure. Do you know that the virus has an incubation period of 14 days? And that there is already community spread in Japan, meaning people who haven't had contact with people who got back from China or were in China?

It would be irresponsible of Sony to attend the event.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure it does. I was in Tokyo during the big hurricane in October where like everything was closed for precautionary purposes. It was barely raining that day and when it did rain, it didn't rain any harder than it does where I live.

I mean, Japan closing their nuclear power plants after the disaster lead to them reopening coal plants which will kill have more people than the nuclear disaster (probably by an order or magnitude or three).

Not a good example of caution really working out.

Oct 25, 2017

Why does anyone taking precautions to shield themselves or their employees from this virus = them hyping it up that this virus is the end of the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.