• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Sure is a good message to send out to your employees to show how much you care about their rights. Taking a firmer stance on dogs than human rights.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
There is only one valid "opinion" on the topic of abortion rights and that is "women should have abortion rights."

Anything less than that should not be respected. Ever.

Ryan then went on to write that he "would like to share something lighthearted to help inspire everyone to be mindful of having balance that can help ease the stress of uncertain world events," saying it was recently his two cats' first birthday and elaborating over the next few paragraphs about his cats' birthday cakes, their noises and his desire to one day get a dog.

Seriously, what the actual fuck is this garbage?

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
I agree with most of you here. But I do have an honest question:
If there's a group of talented devs working on a game for years/months that either don't care for the subject (because of political ignorance, who knows, they are just focused on their careers) or are dumb to be against abortion and just don't want conflict in the office, what would be the right call? Let the discussion take over? Fire who's against/neutral?
They could just shut the fuck up since it's not their business.
But what if they don't? That's my question. What if the discussion takes over?
Yeah, they should be fired. At that point they clearly care more about telling everyone their shitty opinion on women's rights than they do about their job.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Of what? Kids are a HUGE drain on society and the economy, so i would think the government would be all for abortions.

Weird argument. You generally want more people around to keep the economy running.

But of course, it should be the right of people to decide having children or not.

Phantom_Snake

The Fallen
Jul 26, 2018
Montana
who says shit like this in an CORPORATE EMAIL? without anyone reading it over???
I would've loved to have seen his face when he hit send and to see what his reaction is right now. I'm sure he was thinking "everyone will love me for this". Jim Ryan has said some really dumb stuff before, but this... this takes the cake.

Now we wait for his apology, which will either be written by lawyers or will be some non apology double down. Dude's a clown through and through.

Squall93

Oct 29, 2017
Paris
Why did he send this to his teams?. Do we know if there are strong tensions on this subject within the staff of Playstation?
Or was he just stupid?

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Eh? Strange post. Low fertility rates are disastrous for the economy. And what on earth do you mean kids are a "drain on society"? And you realise kids grow up right? Like you?

Pro lifers are mostly religious nuts and it's those fairytale beliefs that guides their ridiculous opinions on women's rights.
Overpopulation is something i believe will bite us hard in the ass at some point in the future. Lack of food, clean drinking water etc. More people means this will happen sooner. That's the society part of my comment.

I'm not anti-life, but if i was in a position of government, i would not force people to birth children. Quite the opposite, i'd give incentives to have less kids. The people being against abortion must be brainwashed or just paid by someone else who is.

Kazuma Kiryu

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (3 Months): Trolling in a sensitive thread regarding reproductive rights; prior bans for trolling and dismissive behavior.
Unless I'm misunderstanding the article, email says something like "hey, some people are pro abortion, others against it, we gotta live with each other. btw, my cat's birthday was a lot of fun!"
This is outrage worthy?

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jim Ryan is incapable of making sensible statements, it's wild how often you hear "Controversial statement by Jim Ryan" mentioned.

But this is something else entirely, this is supporting a directly hateful agenda that aims to limit the personal freedom of women, he should not come back from this and his ass should be blasted in to the sun.

I don't care if this statement comes from him actively supporting the anti-abortion movements or if it's just him being a huge twat that wants to avoid conflict, the statement ultimately supports anti-abortion by ways of silencing conversation.

Fuck Jim Ryan.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
The only thing any man in a position of power should be saying about abortion rights is that everyone who can become pregnant deserves them unequivocally.

MrPhiliasfrog

Oct 25, 2017
"One side wants to force women to give birth against their will even in cases of rape and incest. The other side doesn't. Can't we all just get along and watch some wholesome cat videos?"

FFS

This whole let's hear both sides or let's respect each other opinion is beyond stupid and incredibly dangerous.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I agree with most of you here. But I do have an honest question:
If there's a group of talented devs working on a game for years/months that either don't care for the subject (because of political ignorance, who knows, they are just focused on their careers) or are dumb to be against abortion and just don't want conflict in the office, what would be the right call? Let the discussion take over? Fire who's against/neutral?

I don't follow your situation here. If they don't care, or don't want conflict in the office, doesn't the problem already solve itself?

Stickman

Oct 27, 2017
What a piece of shit. Fuck Jim Ryan and fuck Playstation for making someone like that their CEO.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Unless I'm misunderstanding the article, email says something like "hey, some people are pro abortion, others against it, we gotta live with each other. btw, my cat's birthday was a lot of fun!"
This is outrage worthy?

I hope this was the intent honestly, and not a "both sides" thing that it can be read as. Some way of peacekeeping I guess.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Was he high writing this? The part about dogs just makes it that much worse. The fuck...

Smitch

Unshakable Resolve
Apr 21, 2022
This is outrage worthy?
Of course yes, because those who are against do not have the right to force woman to give birth against their will

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
This is outrage worthy?
The head of my company both siding something like rights to abortions, before waffling on about his cats and wanting a dog would get me pretty annoyed.

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
What the fuck? Such a drastic contrast to companies like Bungie. And then there is the 5 abismal paragraphs talking about cats... WTF?

Fucking idiot.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
This is outrage worthy?

Yes.

This is not a 'both sides' situation. One side is right and one is wrong.

And to clarify for you, the side that wants to take a woman's rights away from her is the wrong side.

Kinanza

Jun 25, 2018
Jesus Jim, not only are you killing Playstation but you're also killing everyone's respect for you

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
This is outrage worthy?

Hint: one side is entirely against "living with each other" and has been actively trying to force their own preference on the other side for decades.

The "pro abortion" side isn't forcing everyone to get abortions.

Oct 27, 2017
It feels like he's trying to joke about it to deflect from the issue and then coming across as an idiot. It's like he's too afraid to say that misogynists are bad and we don't want their money.

This is somehow worse than the CEO at my wife's work sending out the "All Lives Matter" email before a day later retracting it. Then last year sending a "I think work from home should end, because I like looking at my secretary" email before retracting that one, too.
By "retract", do you mean they sent a follow-up apology email or they literally just told IT to recall the email? If it's the latter, they are absolutely clueless idiots.

Primeau31

Nov 18, 2017
Shut the hell up, Jim.

Seriously why is he leader again?

It seemed like the old PS4 guard did an insane good job last gen and then suddenly the year before the PS5 launched, everything, the leadership roles were all changed.

Just how many and who asses did everyone kiss to cause all that to happen to get this PS5 communications PR nightmare of leadership?

This. they're just not the same anymore in more ways than one.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Jim Ryan really went "I've not stuck my foot in my mouth in a couple of days now, time for a company wide email."

What a walking PR disaster that man is.