• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017

These awards are for the Japan+Asia region.

Gold Prize Award: (The criteria is that the following winners sold over 500k units)
- Super Robot Wars V
- Winning Eleven 2018
- Gran Turismo Sport
- CoD WW2
- God of War
- Powapro Baseball 2018
- Spider-Man

Platinum Prize: (The criteria is that the following winners sold over 1M units)

- The Last of Us
- Persona 5

Quadruple Platinum Prize: (4 million seller, first award in 7 years)
- Monster Hunter World

PSN Awards: (The criteria is top 3 downloads on PSN and are games released between 01/10/17 to 30/09/18)

- FIFA 18
- Monster Hunter World
- Fortnite

User's Choice Awards: (The criteria is the top voted titles by Japan and Asia users for games released between 01/10/17 and 30/09/18)
- Assassin's Creed Odyssey
- Dragon Quest XI
- Yakuza Kiwami 2
- Monster Hunter World
- Fortnite
- God of War
- Dark Souls Remastered
- Detroit Become Human
- Spider-Man
- Trails of Cold Steel 4

PlayStation VR Award: (Titles that have contributed to PSVR released between 01/10/17 to 30/09/18)
- No Heroes Allowed! VR
- Gran Turismo Sport
- Skyrim VR

Indies & Developer Award: (Indies titles that contributed to PS4 released between 01/10/17 to 30/09/18)
- Ultimate Chicken Horse
- Abzu
- Dead Cells

Last edited:

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
TLOU remastered passed 1 million in Japan/Asia.
GOW & Spider-Man passed 500k there as well.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Had no idea this was going on. Grats to the winners. Looking at you Monster Hunter World ;)
I dig the band playing the game music from the winners haha

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Gold Prize Award:
- Super Robot Wars V

giphy.gif

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
MHW sold 4 million copies on PS4 in Japan and Asia.
Persona 5 sold over a million there.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
I think Sony don't understand how awards work

PS Awards is a B2B internal award ceremony. It's extremely common in corporations. For example, FMCG companies tend to have award events where they give awards to the direct retailers or distributors who are the best sales performers for the region/etc. Of course, these awards aren't streamed to general consumers.

One example is : https://www.coca-colacompany.com/st...ers-in-the-promise-at-2018-celebration-awards, where Coke gives awards to external business partners or their own employees for certain achievements.

Other examples would be where financial firms or insurance companies award their best-performing agents at the year's end reward-and-recognition events.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
I think Sony don't understand how awards work
SMH. Sony's been hosting these every year since 1995, I'm pretty sure they understand them just fine. You, on the other hand, clearly don't.

Anyway, crazy to see how well MHW has done but it's well deserved. Also great to see a lot of the other results, especially TLOU hitting 1m.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Damn! Monster Hunter sure is doing great.

User's Choice Awards: (The criteria is the top voted titles by Japan and Asia users for games released between 01/10/17 and 30/09/18)
- Assassin's Creed Odyssey
- Dragon Quest XI
- Yakuza Kiwami 2
- Monster Hunter World
- Fortnite
- God of War

- Dark Souls Remastered
- Detroit Become Human
- Spider-Man

- Trails of Cold Steel 4

"Japan doesn't like Western games."

Maybe we can put this this to rest finally.

Narco

Oct 27, 2017
The criteria is that the following winners sold over 500k units, the date of the game released from 1/10/17 to 30/09/18

No, the release date is not relevant. Gold Prizes, for example, are for games who reached the 500.000 units sold between 1/10/17 and 30/09/18.

Persona 5, for example, released on the 15th of september 2016 in Japan.
It got a Gold Prize at PS Awards 2016 because it sold more than 500.000 units in Asia before 30/09/16.
And today it got a Platinum Prize because it reached the million bar between 1/10/17 and 30/09/18.

Anyway, congrats to Monster Hunter World. It is only the 3rd game to reach 4 millions units sold in Asia in PlayStation history, after Dragon Quest VII on PS1 and Monster Hunter Portable 3rd on PSP.

Oct 27, 2017
So out of 10 millions units, the PS4 version of MHW did 4 million for Asia only. Worldwide, I assume 6 million units is really the minimum for the PS4 version.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't just voting by Japan. It's also votes from Singapore, Malaysia, Taiwan, and other Asian countries. ( excluding China )

I'm aware, but it's got a big enough audience that if they did not also vote for those titles at all, it's conceivable that they would not have showed up.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I actually has to convince someone that Monster Hunter World would be the TOP seller lol. That said not even I would Guess they have a special category for mega winners lol

I'm also extra Super happy that Persona 5 made it big as well

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
I was curious who the winners were in the past years and I'm really impressed with the results of Witcher 3 - in 2016 it was one of the game in the Gold category - so it sold atleast 500k copies in the territory - and it ended up being in both User's Choice Award, for both Japan and the overall Asia, as one of the 5 games in those categories.. and it won Asian Special Award (which I don't know if it was because of sales or user's voting or something else).. I hope this means that the Japanese VO in TW3 worked in the favor of CD Projekt RED and it was a success for them

Narco

Oct 27, 2017
That said not even I would Guess they have a special category for mega winners lol

Yeah, they have had these very big categories since 1997. Here are all the winners in these:

Quadruple Platinum:
Dragon Quest VII
Monster Hunter Portable 3rd
Monster Hunter World

Triple Platinum:
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Dragon Quest VIII

Double Platinum:
Gran Turismo
Resident Evil 2
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy X-2
Final Fantasy XII
Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G
Minecraft

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Yeah, they have had these very big categories since 1997. Here are all the winners in these:

Quadruple Platinum:
Dragon Quest VII
Monster Hunter Portable 3rd
Monster Hunter World

Triple Platinum:
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Dragon Quest VIII

Double Platinum:
Gran Turismo
Resident Evil 2
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy X-2
Final Fantasy XII
Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G
Minecraft

Goddamn all that Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter @_@

klee123

Oct 27, 2017
Assuming that MHW Worldwide is still 10--11 million.

That means PS4 alone accounts for a massive chunk of those sales. Perhaps around 60-70% when factoring Western sales.