• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
So if I'm getting this right, they're cancelling do to the fact there have been 8 corona virus cases in the state of california, and are afraid of an outbreak happening at GDC?

It's because it will be a meeting of a bunch of people who've passed through any combination of different international transit hubs to get there. It's not about the known, quarantined, cases that exist in the US right now, but what could sprout any time, and a meeting like this would be a vulnerable situation if someone did come through carrying it.

Deleted member 48828

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 21, 2018
China is not the only country that is affected by the virus.

Maybe go take a look at this thread - https://www.resetera.com/threads/co...ares-global-emergency-see-threadmarks.165901/

South Korea for one, had cases doubled and now has over 200 cases. Japan also has about 100.

That's totally true, I didn't grasp the international nature of GDC and the virus before now.

What I typed was condescending. Pretty sure there was nothing passive about it. Here's a quotation from the master of deduction to illuminate your ignorance here: "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." You lacked basic facts and formed an assumption based on your own personal feelings. And then when people confronted you on it you called one them a passive aggressive prick. I'm sure what I typed was irritating but you should try to understand that coming into this thread and making a disingenuous comment is at least equally as irritating. And that's what you did.
I asked a question about what's going on and you took that as an oppurtunity to talk down to someone. Pathetic.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I asked a question about what's going on and you took that as an oppurtunity to talk down to someone. Pathetic.

So far you've called me pathetic and a prick because you asked a disingenuous question and you received a disingenuous answer. Just look at how you framed the question, as if the people making these decisions are stupid for making them when you didn't even understand the full scope of the situation. This has been happening consistently in this thread which is why I asked those questions that seemingly irritated you.

VPplaya

Nov 20, 2018
If I had purchased a pass for this I'd be looking for a refund right about now. The back-out is certainly justified it just sucks all around for everyone.

Deleted member 48828

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 21, 2018
So far you've called me pathetic and a prick because you asked a disingenuous question and you received a disingenuous answer. Just look at how you framed the question, as if the people making these decisions are stupid for making them when you didn't even understand the full scope of the situation. This has been happening consistently in this thread which is why I asked those questions that seemingly irritated you.
You're just making stuff up now. Goodbye.

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
Reading through this thread and it's clear that people simply don't understand the severity of the world wide threat we are facing.

Entire countries and multi billion dollar companies with huge risk management resources are takin action based on the info currently available.

They are all taking huge monetary losses because it's that big of a potential danger. You should all ponder on that fact if you don't want to read up on the news.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
It seems that Italy authorities have cancelled Venetian carnival and also some football matches due to the virus. I expect this to not stop here unfortunately. I hope a vaccine is found soon, so delaying the pandemia is the only thing we can do, and if this means cancelling events, so be it

TheWatchGuard

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Yeah the US only have 15 confirmed isolated cases and it's not spreading here. This is a BS reason to skip events that they clearly just don't want to go to. It's not like people can even fly from China to the US anymore....

TheWatchGuard

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
User banned (permanent): racism
Reading through this thread and it's clear that people simply don't understand the severity of the world wide threat we are facing.

Entire countries and multi billion dollar companies with huge risk management resources are takin action based on the info currently available.

They are all taking huge monetary losses because it's that big of a potential danger. You should all ponder on that fact if you don't want to read up on the news.
It's an easy fix though, lock out China until the disease dies out and then problem solved. You just completely isolate them for 6 months and the problem will eventually go away...and maybe just maybe they'll learn their lesson about eating bats and dogs 🙄

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's an easy fix though, lock out China until the disease dies out and then problem solved. You just completely isolate them for 6 months and the problem will eventually go away...and maybe just maybe they'll learn their lesson about eating bats and dogs 🙄
This is now an international crisis not a Chinese crisis. Locking out one country is a very phobic response to a worldwide issue that's developing and one that wouldn't be solved by your solution.

Yeah the US only have 15 confirmed isolated cases and it's not spreading here. This is a BS reason to skip events that they clearly just don't want to go to. It's not like people can even fly from China to the US anymore....
There are issues in Italy, Europe, Korea. What about those places?

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
gofreak said it best...
It's because it will be a meeting of a bunch of people who've passed through any combination of different international transit hubs to get there. It's not about the known, quarantined, cases that exist in the US right now, but what could sprout any time, and a meeting like this would be a vulnerable situation if someone did come through carrying it.

TheWatchGuard

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
This is now an international crisis not a Chinese crisis. Locking out one country is a very phobic response to a worldwide issue that's developing and one that wouldn't be solved by your solution.

There are issues in Italy, Europe, Korea. What about those places?
Everyone should have locked out China sooner it's pretty much that simple. I'm sorry but Pax East and GDC shouldn't be affected by this. A few cases in Europe and Korea wouldn't have any affect on this, especially PAX which is mostly US based companies.

A Grizzly Bear

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Everyone should have locked out China sooner it's pretty much that simple. I'm sorry but Pax East and GDC shouldn't be affected by this. A few cases in Europe and Korea wouldn't have any affect on this, especially PAX which is mostly US based companies.
It likely wouldn't have changed the outcome with experts saying we've likely missed 2/3 of cases leaving China and it having such a long incubation period.

It's what we don't know that is scaring people.

Dec 8, 2018

FFS people and companies are not afraid of getting sick by the 15 persons in the US that have been diagnosed. They are afraid of sending and/or their staff is afraid of going to an event that will include people coming from all over the world. Those people will have to go through airports all over the world and mix with more people on the way to GDC and the US. The incubation time for the virus is two weeks so there is no way to test for it until you have a fever.

Italy had less cases then the US a couple of days ago now that number is about 150 and entire cities are shutting down...

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018

Yea no. Nobody owes anyone to send their people through international travel in this situation.

Especially not consumers considering GDC is not even for them.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know this is for the safety of their own. Which i can absolutley appreciate, but can we at least get a state of play to talk about this thing? Their silence is defening, it reminds me of the months leading up to the official nx reveal from nintendo.

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry your video games are affected over peoples lives. That's no reason to resort to xenophobia given that the disease can be transmitted in any country. Just because Chinese airports are shut down doesn't means people can't get out by other means.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Kinda related

twitter.com

GameRiot on Twitter

“Apparently we will be expecting more game delays because of the Coronavirus. Couple of games already delayed we just don’t know about it. A lot of developers outsource work to China hence future delays. Also be surprised if we see either the PS5 or Xbox Series X this year”

TheWatchGuard

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
I'm sorry your video games are affected over peoples lives. That's no reason to resort to xenophobia given that the disease can be transmitted in any country. Just because Chinese airports are shut down doesn't means people can't get out by other means.
Not xenophobia, if your country develops a huge disease like this and could unleash it on the world you should be shut off until it dies out. I don't care if it's China, US, UK, Morocco, whatever you should deal with it and not put the rest of the world in danger. The fact that it spread so fast was because of Chinese pride and that their the only ones that matter so they don't give an f they're flying around the world for Chinese New Year.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Kinda related

twitter.com

GameRiot on Twitter

“Apparently we will be expecting more game delays because of the Coronavirus. Couple of games already delayed we just don’t know about it. A lot of developers outsource work to China hence future delays. Also be surprised if we see either the PS5 or Xbox Series X this year”

Chinese studious do a lot of outsourcing work, especially for AAA studios.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I know this is for the safety of their own. Which i can absolutley appreciate, but can we at least get a state of play to talk about this thing? Their silence is defening, it reminds me of the months leading up to the official nx reveal from nintendo.
I doubt they'll do another SoP for TLoU2 demo (which is probably the same demo the press already played and showed) and no games or PS5 stuff were getting announced by them at GDC, it's not really that type of event.

Phoenix15

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Kinda related

twitter.com

GameRiot on Twitter

Youtubers are fast to oppen their mouth...
But when was the last time they really reveal anything like this ?

He know nothing, he just say random thing based on a fact he seems he had discovered yesterday (AAA games extarnalisation by Chinese studios) only to attract attention

We shouldn't give to this type of person the attention they search

Last edited:

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
MWC was eventually cancelled altogether after cancellations piled up, although it is also a field where Asian companies have a very strong presence. GDC 2020 might survive due to western developers being the majority, even though not having major players like Sony is huge. Kojima was also heavily advertised on GDC's site. I guess we'll know this week whether the whole conference is cancelled.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Yeah. This GDC was looking to be something special. I was looking forward to it more than any other year. I definitely see it being cancelled soon.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
MWC was eventually cancelled altogether after cancellations piled up, although it is also a field where Asian companies have a very strong presence. GDC 2020 might survive due to western developers being the majority, even though not having major players like Sony is huge. Kojima was also heavily advertised on GDC's site. I guess we'll know this week whether the whole conference is cancelled.

If more major players skip GDC they might as well just schedule for later.

Public health is more important

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Not xenophobia, if your country develops a huge disease like this and could unleash it on the world you should be shut off until it dies out. I don't care if it's China, US, UK, Morocco, whatever you should deal with it and not put the rest of the world in danger. The fact that it spread so fast was because of Chinese pride and that their the only ones that matter so they don't give an f they're flying around the world for Chinese New Year.

Yikes, good luck.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chinese studious do a lot of outsourcing work, especially for AAA studios.

Yup, Outer Worlds Switch got delayed due to Virtuous closing but they have had a hand in a lot of AAA stuff over the last few years including Devil May Cry 5, Astral Chain, NBA 2K, Jedi: Fallen Order, Uncharted 4 and Horizon Zero Dawn off the top of my head.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
What are you talking about? You realise China is huge right? It has the same area as the USA with multiple districts and diversity. To you it's all or nothing; Us vs ALL of them? Why wouldn't someone from outside Wuhan be allowed to travel during CNY? Especially with the amount of info people had at that point. And btw even the Chinese government at that point had already imposed travel restrictions.

What's even funnier is that I am not aware of many nations that in a similar situation would have been so patient and "obedient" to the restrictions imposed.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
Well I hope the Animal Crossing session at GDC won't be cancelled, Nintendo talks are always pretty interesting.

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
Even some Serie A games were cancelled this weekend due to the now growing outbreak in Italy.
I've been baffled by some posters saying Sony is trying to hide PS5 through this.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
What are you talking about? You realise China is huge right? It has the same area as the USA with multiple districts and diversity. To you it's all or nothing; Us vs ALL of them? Why wouldn't someone from outside Wuhan be allowed to travel during CNY? Especially with the amount of info people had at that point. And btw even the Chinese government at that point had already imposed travel restrictions.

What's even funnier is that I am not aware of many nations that in a similar situation would have been so patient and "obedient" to the restrictions imposed.

Yup...can you imagine if the same virus hypothetically happened in the states?

With US citizens' rights of 'liberty & freedom', it will be almost impossible for the us federal government to contain the spread as most US citizens can just dont give a fuck. And with social media being whack in the US, the fake news spread will be even worse.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
They are already 7 years old, that's a long time for game consoles, especially those with Jaguar CPU's.

Totally bizarre.
Not like it changes much. You'd probably be able to count the number of PS5 and XSX exclusives on 1 hand for the 1st year if they release this year. It at worst means they'll probably have a better launch lineup if delayed. While not putting thousands at risk.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That kind of conspiracy theory nonsense should've been stamped out days ago, but of course we all know how the original thread went.

One of the worst threads on Era tbh. Still baffled to this day that mods thought that posting such a conspiracy theory was "reasonable doubt" and "opinion". But alas.

I hope everyone calling out Sony or anybody for being shady with their event cancelations looks at what's happening in Italy, if maybe they have a hard time relating to a "foreign and far away" country like China. In a civilized first world country they are canceling all sports events, carnivals, fairs, closing schools, universities within whole regions. This is how you handle a fucking virus that has a 2-3% mortality. You do everything to contain it and avoid it from spreading. Sure thing, 2-3% sounds small. Also people posting here are mostly will/would survive. But a lot of weak and/or old people won't. And for the record, 2% of the whole world is 154 million people, almost half of the entire USA's population. Imagine eradicating that many people from the world at once. That's what this virus could do if it spread freely.

Deleted member 1003

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of the worst threads on Era tbh. Still baffled to this day that mods thought that posting such a conspiracy theory was "reasonable doubt" and "opinion". But alas.

I hope everyone calling out Sony or anybody for being shady with their event cancelations looks at what's happening in Italy, if maybe they have a hard time relating to a "foreign and far away" country like China. In a civilized first world country they are canceling all sports events, carnivals, fairs, closing schools, universities within whole regions. This is how you handle a fucking virus that has a 2-3% mortality. You do everything to contain it and avoid it from spreading. Sure thing, 2-3% sounds small. Also people posting here are mostly will/would survive. But a lot of weak and/or old people won't. And for the record, 2% of the whole world is 154 million people, almost half of the entire USA's population. Imagine eradicating that many people from the world at once. That's what this virus could do if it spread freely.

Insane, 2-3% out of 7 billion people is HUGE!

People need to take this seriously, video games be damned.