• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
I mean, the risk of transmitting or getting the virus is likely less if they just stay so why risk it if you can afford not to? They have enough money to be able to afford to mitigate the risk, smaller companies would likely not be able to make that call.
I think this is more interesting that this might have revealed how little benefit conventions are for the company. If they flinched at 1/XXXX risk (seriously your risk of getting the normal flu is probably way higher in this setting and potentially more dangerous to your employees) then they must not have foreseen any benefits to attending outside of an immeasurable "good will".

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone claiming that Sony is just using coronavirus as an "excuse" to cancel their appearances should A) actually describe what they're claiming Sony's true reason for cancelling is, if the coronavirus isn't, and B) describe what evidence they are using to support that extraordinary claim.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
So hey, a Canadian women in BC just tested positive for COVID-19 (the coronavirus). She never traveled to China or had any contact. She had only traveled to Iran.

This is worldwide now. Sony is playing it safe.

What's notable about this is that the Iranian government is saying that the people that have it there haven't been to China nor do they have any connections to China. And Iran is going to have an election tomorrow where millions of people are going to be voting.

I think this is more interesting that this might have revealed how little benefit conventions are for the company. If they flinched at 1/XXXX risk (seriously your risk of getting the normal flu is probably way higher in this setting and potentially more dangerous to your employees) then they must not have foreseen any benefits to attending outside of an immeasurable "good will".

Sony were all ready to attend conventions as they normally do this year. Don't confuse their problems with the current state of E3 with their overall view of conventions.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the risk of transmitting or getting the virus is likely less if they just stay so why risk it if you can afford not to? They have enough money to be able to afford to mitigate the risk, smaller companies would likely not be able to make that call.
Everything you do is some marginal risk increase though. It's probably more dangerous for Sony employees to get in their car and drive to work everyday than it is to go to GDC. The risk of dying in a plane crash on the way to PAX is probably greater or equal to the risk of contracting coronavirus on said plane. I don't think it's a great idea to halt all external operations because of some 1 out of a million possibility, but in the face of a rarely seen kind of crisis I don't expect completely rational behavior from individuals or corporations either.

Dec 8, 2018
What the actual f is wrong with people in this thread and on era lately? There are constant threads about how terrible companies are and that they should look after their employees and games are games not a matter of life and death and when Sony cancels appearances at conventions that people from all over the world will gather at people question it when they simply don't think risking the health of their employees????

One person in South Korea managed to basically put an entire city in quarantine because she was infected just think about that....

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Everything you do is some marginal risk increase though. It's probably more dangerous for Sony employees to get in their car and drive to work everyday than it is to go to GDC. The risk of dying in a plane crash on the way to PAX is probably greater or equal to the risk of contracting coronavirus on said plane. I don't think it's a great idea to halt all external operations because of some 1 out of a million possibility, but in the face of a rarely seen kind of crisis I don't expect completely rational behavior from individuals or corporations either.
That isn't how most people assess risk though. It's like the people saying "well they would be more likely to get the flu", well okay, but they aren't worried about that, and the ramifications for that would be completely different than coronavirus both economically and in severity of both illnesses. When you drive to the store, you drive carefully so as to not get into an accident- you know there is a risk that a drunk or distracted driver could crash into you through no fault of your own, or that any number of things could happen, but you don't really concern yourself with those things. People generally look at the risk they have direct control over and that would present the biggest problem were it likely to occur.

I think it's kind of a non-sequiter to say "well X could also happen" when there is no concern about X, or it's at least apples and oranges. It's just not how people live. I know the risk of getting struck by lightning is low, but that doesn't mean I'm going to dance in the rain and increase my risk of it by any degree if I can afford not to.
What the actual f is wrong with people in this thread and on era lately? There are constant threads about how terrible companies are and that they should look after their employees and games are games not a matter of life and death and when Sony cancels appearances at conventions that people from all over the world will gather at people question it when they simply don't think risking the health of their employees????
That would only matter if the people making those comments had also in the past advocated for employees caring about worker concerns, you would have to look on a case by case basis.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
These threads are really exposing how stupid a significant number of Era posters are. Like just for example, the people bringing up stupid shit like "why don't they just attend with their American employees" and "GDC isn't far from their HQ" as if Americans are immune from picking up viruses from the hundreds/thousands of other attendees traveling all around the world.

If there was a risk, SF would shut down the convention center.

Moscone is in the center of town, in an area that is heavily trafficked on foot. If you are afraid of coronavirus at Moscone, you shouldn't be in SF at all.

There is probably a higher risk of getting sick on BART, Caltrain, and Muni, than at a medium sized event that is not open to the general public.

Events still happen at the convention center because there is little to no risk.

No, the cancellation isn't about PS5.

Yes, the cancellation is more paranoia than reason.

And on the off chance that someone did catch coronavirus in SF, it is one of the best places to be as UCSF has a treatment unit set up. They've taken other Bay Area patients.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the narrative would be different if Sony hadn't already cancelled 2 E3 appearances and killed Playstation Experience altogether. Their new management already doesn't view these events as particularly valuable or noteworthy in the first place, so that's why people see the coronavirus as a pretext or convenient excuse to weasel out of them. If all goes fine in 2020 without their presence at PAX, GDC, and similar events, what's really going to stop them from pulling out in 2021 as well? What is next on the chopping block? San Diego Comic Con? PAX West? Gamescom?

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
There is probably a higher risk of getting sick on BART, Caltrain, and Muni, than at a medium sized event that is not open to the general public.
This is empirically correct, but is there more risk of getting coronavirus? Just getting sick isn't going to get a bunch of media attention or get people in your company quarantined or likely cost you a ton of money, I do think there is an appreciable difference there.
Yes, the cancellation is more paranoia than reason.
Well alright, let's say it is, is that an awful thing? If the employees are worried and saying they don't feel comfortable going, should they be made to go? I think most of us wish if we felt that way that our work would be understanding and listen to us, right?

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the narrative would be different if Sony hadn't already cancelled 2 E3 appearances and killed Playstation Experience altogether. Their new management already doesn't view these events as particularly valuable or noteworthy in the first place, so that's why people see the coronavirus as a pretext or convenient excuse to weasel out of them. If all goes fine in 2020 without their presence at PAX, GDC, and similar events, what's really going to stop them from pulling out in 2021 as well? What is next on the chopping block? San Diego Comic Con? PAX West? Gamescom?
I don't think it would be different because some love to pretend sony is giving up. This is a completely valid reason not to attend and some are using it as a reason to attack them. I don't get it.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's kind of a non-sequiter to say "well X could also happen" when there is no concern about X, or it's at least apples and oranges. It's just not how people live. I know the risk of getting struck by lightning is low, but that doesn't mean I'm going to dance in the rain and increase my risk of it by any degree if I can afford not to.
"Dancing in the rain" versus "attending a convention for my employer" isn't really an apples-to-apples comparison either.

And I think comparative and relative risk assesment is a helpful tool for lots of people. I get nervous on planes like everyone else does, but it's reassuring to know that flying is actually safer than automobile travel. The more absolutist stance ("I should stay home since it is .001% safer than attending") is not a particularly effective or realistic way to look at things either.
Well alright, let's say it is, is that an awful thing? If the employees are worried and saying they don't feel comfortable going, should they be made to go? I think most of us wish if we felt that way that our work would be understanding and listen to us, right?
I think the more reasonable course of action would be to make the events optional for employees that don't want to attend. Nobody should be forced to go, but it's not as if they need an army to run two dozen demo stations on the show floor. If they can't get enough volunteers to staff the booth, then cancel.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
This is empirically correct, but is there more risk of getting coronavirus? Just getting sick isn't going to get a bunch of media attention or get people in your company quarantined or likely cost you a ton of money, I do think there is an appreciable difference there.

Given the high number of people that use BART/Caltrain to transit the airport, the close quarters in all three, and the amount of shiny metal surfaces in all three, yes, you're more likely to catch a random case of coronavirus there than elsewhere in the City.

I've no issue with a company looking out for its employees, but I'm also not a fan of security theater in any form.

The fact of the matter is that exposure risk in SF is super low. Pretty much no one in the City is freaking out over coronavirus.

If Sony is genuinely afraid of coronavirus exposure for its employees, pulling out of a local convention is more show than action. It should be allowing all employees to work-from-home for the duration. That would mitigate a risk. Having employees on public transit in the area (and Caltrain is a big commute corridor for Sony) indicates that this is more on the paranoia side (think TSA levels of effective) versus actual risk assessment.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it would be different because some love to pretend sony is giving up. This is a completely valid reason not to attend and some are using it as a reason to attack them. I don't get it.
There will always be haters and people that wish ill on the company, but this more pervasive attitude that they are done with trade shows is definitely fueled by their non-appearances at E3 and the death of PSX.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
There will always be haters and people that wish ill on the company, but this more pervasive attitude that they are done with trade shows is definitely fueled by their non-appearances at E3 and the death of PSX.

Who said PSX is dead? The reaction to PSX 2017 likely played a big role in why it's been on hold for two years. Because even though Sony warned people beforehand that it wasn't going to have many, if any, announcements people still complained about it and called it disappointing. There's now an expectation for it having big announcements, particularly after Part II's announcement closed PSX 2016. Sony haven't really announced much over that period since they're nearing a console transition.

Dec 8, 2018
That would only matter if the people making those comments had also in the past advocated for employees caring about worker concerns, you would have to look on a case by case basis.

It really does not matter if a person commented or not on other issues regarding employee condition but putting their video games news above the potential health of other people is just disgusting.

Instead of people praising Sony for actually caring for their employees and not risking their health we have this thread...

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who said PSX is dead? The reaction to PSX 2017 likely played a big role in why it's been on hold for two years. Because even though Sony warned people beforehand that it wasn't going to have many, if any, announcements people still complained about it and called it disappointing. There's now an expectation for it having big announcements, particularly after Part II's announcement closed PSX 2016. Sony haven't really announced much over that period since they're nearing a console transition.
At the time "Well, Sony doesn't have anything much to show" was the given excuse for the end of PSX and the underwhelming E3 2018 showing. I'm not sure how much that really flies anymore, given that they could have saved up announcements for a theoretical PSX 2019 that featured TLOU2, Ghosts of Tsushima, and Dreams.....but they chose not to do so. Instead they did a huge TLOU2 media blowout less than 8 weeks before a PSX would have happened. It seems pretty clear that they would rather reveal things throughout the year on their own timetable rather than having to save big news for a particular date that is set in stone.

We're now on the eve of a console launch, and Sony most certainly does have things to show.......yet they're still not showing up to E3. If E3, GDC, PAX, and Paris Games Week aren't worth their time and effort then I doubt they're exactly itching to throw another PSX (for which they would have to pay entirely out of pocket, instead of just buying booth space).

Is PSX dead? Is PSX "on hold"? Seems like a semantic argument at this point. I would be pretty surprised if they do one in 2020......especially now that the TGAs are well-established, and they can just piggyback onto it for any big December announcements.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
At the time "Well, Sony doesn't have anything much to show" was the given excuse for the end of PSX and the underwhelming E3 2018 showing. I'm not sure how much that really flies anymore, given that they could have saved up announcements for a theoretical PSX 2019 that featured TLOU2, Ghosts of Tsushima, and Dreams.....but they chose not to do so. Instead they did a huge TLOU2 media blowout less than 8 weeks before a PSX would have happened. It seems pretty clear that they would rather reveal things throughout the year on their own timetable rather than having to save big news for a particular date that is set in stone.

We're now on the eve of a console launch, and Sony most certainly does have things to show.......yet they're still not showing up to E3. If E3, GDC, PAX, and Paris Games Week aren't worth their time and effort then I doubt they're exactly itching to throw another PSX (for which they would have to pay entirely out of pocket, instead of just buying booth space).

Is PSX dead? Is PSX "on hold"? Seems like mostly semantic argument at this point. I would be pretty surprised if they do one in 2020......especially now that the TGAs are well-established, and they can just piggyback onto it for any big December announcements.
I agree, with most if their old guard gone too I have to imagine psx is not even close to happening in their future at this point.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Is PSX dead? Is PSX "on hold"? Seems like a semantic argument at this point. I would be pretty surprised if they do one in 2020......especially now that the TGAs are well-established, and they can just piggyback onto it for any big December announcements.
Well good. Then let them. All State of Plays from now on and one PSX per year. "Problem" solved.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I think the narrative would be different if Sony hadn't already cancelled 2 E3 appearances

They didn't cancel any E3 appearances. They decided not to attend. They're not obligated to have an E3 show, and they clearly believe that there are strategic reasons to make announcements at different times instead.

Their new management already doesn't view these events as particularly valuable or noteworthy in the first place, so that's why people see the coronavirus as a pretext or convenient excuse to weasel out of them

Ah, yes, I'm sure Sony was looking for any possible reason to weasel out of PAX, wasting hundreds of employee-hours and lighting millions of dollars on fire in the process.

(People talk about loaded language and weasel words, but it's rare when that weasel word is actually weasel.)

If "their new management already doesn't view these events as particularly valuable or noteworthy in the first place," why did they spend gobs of money on a PAX booth in the first place? Your central claim seems to be at odds with reality.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

They would've just been showing new stuff without any demos, with the exception of Dreams. People expect new and big announcements there. Like I said, Part II was announced that at the last PSX. Ni no Kuni 2, Ace Combat 7, and Yakuza translations were announced there. Even at E3 2018 people complained because they were mainly showing games they'd already announced, although in a much more substantial way than prior to that.

You're framing their canceling of GDC and PSX in a false light. The reason they aren't attending isn't because it's not worth their time, but because they're concerned about the coronavirus. Unless you're on board with those pushing the conspiracy theory that it's about something else, even though they canceled their Mobile World Congress attendance before this which had nothing at all to do with Playstation. Their issue with E3 is that the ESA doesn't know what they want it to be in terms of whether it's a consumer show or a trade show. Last year they also chose to not attend, yet they still went to every other show that they usually attend. That included PAX, PGW, gamescom or TGS. And there's no reason to think that they won't attend those shows later this year so long as the coronavirus finally gets under control.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dont get why sony not being at GDC is a big deal TO US.

-They were not going to say anything related to US ,the consumers, at the show.

-If leaks are the only reason why people are sad they wont be there... don't worry! Devs are human beings... they will probably gossip amongst themselves and we will still get leaks. :)

-The safety of people is always a number one priority.

- At the end of the day... as far fetched as it could be, if one person or employee got infected at GDC, Sony (from a business perspective) wouldn't want that to be a focal point the entire run up to PS5. ("Remember when that guy got the coronavirus while at so and so event as part of GDC) Again... slim chances.. but still within the realm of possibility.

I am so desperate for leaks.. I soo want to know what their target specs are...
But let's be honest.. there or not there... devs will gossip :P and there will be leaks.

In fact... theres a higher chance of leaks happening now.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If "their new management already doesn't view these events as particularly valuable or noteworthy in the first place," why did they spend gobs of money on a PAX booth in the first place? Your central claim seems to be at odds with reality.
The PAX booth space was perhaps bought and paid for prior the SCEI management re-shuffle. An exhibitor with a booth as large as Sony probably has to put down deposits and make commitments pretty far in advance.

Unless you're on board with those pushing the conspiracy theory that it's about something else, even though they canceled their Mobile World Congress attendance before this which had nothing at all to do with Playstation.
I don't think there's any conspiracy. It doesn't have anything to do with the current state of software or the PS5 hardware. I just think that they are less and less interested in the monetary cost and opportunity cost of attending most large-scale conventions. They believe they are established enough to have their own spotlight when they chose to, rather than working around a convention's predetermined timetable and running the risk of a big announcement being lost in the shuffle.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there's any conspiracy. It doesn't have anything to do with the current state of software or the PS5 hardware. I just think that they are less and less interested in the monetary cost and opportunity cost of attending most large-scale conventions. They believe they are established enough to have their own spotlight when they chose to, rather than working around a convention's predetermined timetable and running the risk of a big announcement being lost in the shuffle.

I just don't think there's enough to come to that conclusion. If the coronavirus is under control and then they cancel gamescom, PGW, BGS etc. then yeah, I don't think anyone will be able to argue against the conclusion you've come to. It's just very hard to imagine that they'll bail on them because while the PS brand is huge, a big part of what's helped Sony grow into new markets this generation was their willingness to attend, and take seriously, shows that other manufacturers don't. Sony's been a regular at the Taipei Game Show where they not only have demos, but also have developers appearing on stage to reveal new information about games. I don't think MS goes there, and Nintendo was just going to start going this year. I say was, because the whole ended up getting canned because of the coronavirus. But it in general highlights my point about how aggressive Sony is about pushing the brand into new markets. The consumer conventions aren't something I can see them walking away from.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
User banned (3 days): ignoring the staff post with regards to conspiracy theories
I'll probably get flamed for saying this but it almost feels like they're using the corona virus as an excuse now... I mean, there's gotta be a way to get info out there. Maybe we'll just get another Wired article. Who knows. Maybe that's just the cynic in me.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'll probably get flamed for saying this but it almost feels like they're using the corona virus as an excuse now... I mean, there's gotta be a way to get info out there. Maybe we'll just get another Wired article. Who knows. Maybe that's just the cynic in me.

Please use your brain, take a step back, and think about what you have said.

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The health of their employees is more important than some new details about their next gen console.
Besides, we don't even know if there were plans to reveal anything there.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
It's my opinion. You don't have to agree with it. The location of these events are not the epicenter of the virus. I understand travel risks but bowing out completely seems odd.

They canceled their Mobile World Congress appearance earlier this month for the same reason. And in the case of GDC, it's Facebook that also canceled their appearance. So they aren't even the only ones here. So, what real reason do you have to think that there's something more to this?

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It's my opinion. You don't have to agree with it. The location of these events are not the epicenter of the virus. I understand travel risks but bowing out completely seems odd.

At this point the virus has gone beyond the epicenter. With people travelling from all over the world to attend this event, conferences such as these can become a hotbed for viruses to spread. We just need 1 participant to have the virus to spread to who knows how many. These people will then carry it back to whichever state or country they're from and spread the virus further.

I raised an example in the previous thread and I'll say it again. One of the clusters detected here in Singapore was a 3 day conference attended by 109 participants from different parts of the world. An unknown patient 0 spread it to 7 participants, 3 were Singaporeans and 4 foreigners. One guy went back to the UK and then a French ski resort and spread it to another 11 French people. Imagine this happening at GDC and you might understand why the chances of this being Sony being cautious outweighs whatever conspiratorial reasons you think Sony has.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
They canceled their Mobile World Congress appearance earlier this month for the same reason. And in the case of GDC, it's Facebook that also canceled their appearance. So they aren't even the only ones here. So, what real reason do you have to think that there's something more to this?

The fact that they already bowed out of pretty much every major event for the last year or so?

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Do you have any proof beyond how you feel to back up your statement? It's a pretty lofty claim to say a company is using a worldwide health emergency as a reason to cancel. Do you think you're maybe being a bit irresponsible by furthering conspiratorial thinking? I don't mean that in a mean way or anything, just want your take on if you think I'm off base.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP

Sony probably took a look at Xbox Series X specs and called in their bioterrorism unit to release the virus so that they can fix their PS5 and launch it later.

This is just one step removed from what you're saying.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
That's not true. They went to PAX, PGW, gamescom, TGS, BGS etc. last year. E3 was the only major show they didn't attend because they don't like what the ESA is doing with it.

When I said major event I meant E3 which is huge and their own Playstation event that they canceled. But point taken on those other events.

But otherwise it just seems odd given their overall silence which probably magnifies things. I'm pretty sure they could've still had a presence but I suppose it won't matter in the long run.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
Sony probably took a look at Xbox Series X specs and called in their bioterrorism unit to release the virus so that they can fix their PS5 and launch it later.

No. It's not.

Do you have any proof beyond how you feel to back up your statement? It's a pretty lofty claim to say a company is using a worldwide health emergency as a reason to cancel. Do you think you're maybe being a bit irresponsible by furthering conspiratorial thinking? I don't mean that in a mean way or anything, just want your take on if you think I'm off base.

I already said it's my opinion. It's speculation that you don't like and I respect that. As far as proof, sorry.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

They will probably announce that PS5 comes with a vaccine as well and announce their entrance into the Big Pharma world.