• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
You should hold it, but I would caution you to carry a taser and pepper spray.
Make sure to set up a decontamination shower if your do
tumblr_pwhbxe1U7r1ytho9so5_250.gifv

Last edited:

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if it's possible at all for those who had presentations ready to go could stream or upload something out, like on to that GDC archive site. Might not have the presence of a stage, but it's a shame to lose out on their takes on the industry and development.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
What is a God doing conversing here with us mere mortals?? But seriously is there anything next gen related you can tell us?

I shall respond on behalf of AcridMeat. It's not something spoken about outside the walls of Sony HQ because there are ninjas everywhere, but I'll share it with you and only you right here. It's about this one top secret next gen feature that only 1 person has ever correctly reported but no one believed them so the leak never really spread. It'll knock your socks off! Ok, here we go, the next gen leak is related to the... hey, why's that dude in black pajamas walking towards me? Hey friend, how ar...

I was mistaken, there is no leak. Sony looks forward to sharing more information on the PS5 in the coming months. Please register on one of the official sites to receive notifications when Sony are ready share more details. Enjoy your evening.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
It's ironic what's happening because when Sony said that they were out of E3 again, they said they would attend hundreds of other events instead, not so much now eh?

How in the heck is an unforseen global health concern ironic? Anyways, depending on when things with the virus get under control they could very well still attend hundreds of fan events this year.

PlainOldJosh

Nov 4, 2017
Sony Pullout Champion 2020.
2019 was already an impressive Pullout Championship year from Sony. They really crushed E3 to win the title, and then showed it was no fluke with their quick destruction of PlayStation Experience. But they're completely untouchable in 2020. They look like they could hold the Pullout Championship for years.

DidactBRHU3

Oct 17, 2019
Fortaleza - Ceará
They weren't going to publicly talk about the PS5 in any of the events they've pulled out of so far.
That's not my point but ok.
How in the heck is an unforseen global health concern ironic? Anyways, depending on when things with the virus get under control they could very well still attend hundreds of fan events this year.
I mean I'm not faulting Sony for taking this action, it's actually nice to see a corporation care about their employees to this level. It's just that I think that comment about hundreds of events a bit careless, that's all.

Last edited:

Andalusia

Alt Account
Sep 26, 2019
User Banned (3 days): Trolling, ignoring staff post.
Sony looking for any excuse not to be at events. They'll probably start citing ebola as an excuse once this virus clears up.

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I guess it's ok to blatantly flame and bait for reaction in certain posts?

I'm all for some good discussion but you may as well lock this thread with some of the statements flying around.

It's a potentially deadly virus going around.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
These threads are really exposing how stupid a significant number of Era posters are. Like just for example, the people bringing up stupid shit like "why don't they just attend with their American employees" and "GDC isn't far from their HQ" as if Americans are immune from picking up viruses from the hundreds/thousands of other attendees traveling all around the world.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
So hey, a Canadian women in BC just tested positive for COVID-19 (the coronavirus). She never traveled to China or had any contact. She had only traveled to Iran.

This is worldwide now. Sony is playing it safe.

Last edited:

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I'm really starting to think PS5 won't come out this year, and I almost think the same about XSX.

If PS5 is delayed all the way to Holiday 2021, will it even be the same system Sony planned for 2019?

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really starting to think PS5 won't come out this year, and I almost think the same about XSX.

If PS5 is delayed all the way to Holiday 2021, will it even be the same system Sony planned for 2019?

It'll probably be mostly the same I'd imagine.

Though I feel Xbox has less chance to be delayed over PS5.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Better safe than sorry

Phil has shown the XSX off, he's said recently it's going to be a special year, he was able to take home and use the console.

Sony has been shipping out dev kits on time, and while we haven't seen , I'm sure they won't miss the 2020 target.

Eggman

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Sony looking for any excuse not to be at events. They'll probably start citing ebola as an excuse once this virus clears up.
If they didn't want to go they would just say so. They don't need to make excuses because they aren't obligated. But yeah screw them for not risking their employees health to show some video games.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

If PS5 doesn't come out this year, it isn't going to be because they couldn't have a reveal event soon enough for the "deeply worried" people who are apparently emotionally tied to a console announcement.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
If they didn't want to go they would just say so. They don't need to make excuses because they aren't obligated. But yeah screw them for not risking their employees health to show some video games.

I can't believe they are people in this thread who don't think "Safety first" is important. I am glad they are not leaders for these businesses.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Coronavirus is no joke; there's no way Sony would use this as an excuse to bow out of another event. Frankly, doing so would be incredibly obvious and petty if Coronavirus was not a legitimate worry, and it certainly would not help them in any way even if they were trying to hide something or employ damage control.

By canceling they are probably negatively impacting their presence in terms of increasing exposure heading into next gen... so you would not do this unless it's a true emergency. And it is.

Last edited:

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Well, I will gladly wait for next-gen info to finally swing around, and I'm okay with a delay if coronavirus concern puts production back a bit. No biggie. It will be awesome when it gets here, even if it gets here late.

taepoppuri

Oct 29, 2017
Some of the comments here are so out of touch with the situation...They did the right thing. Game announcement can be wait.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
I could see 2021 happening if this persists long enough. Tons of events are being delayed or cancelled over it.

But it's best to take care of it now rather than endanger more ppl.
It's way too early to even think about 2021. There's nothing I have read that indicates Sony is going to miss a holiday 2020 launch... the only thing fueling that narrative is paranoia.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These threads are really exposing how stupid a significant number of Era posters are. Like just for example, the people bringing up stupid shit like "why don't they just attend with their American employees" and "GDC isn't far from their HQ" as if Americans are immune from picking up viruses from the hundreds/thousands of other attendees traveling all around the world.
Sony is already located in a tourism-heavy metropolis, and employees are exposed to world travellers on a day-to-day basis. This self-imposed paralysis is pretty much just security theater, as others have noted.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
This is really odd given the number of cases in MA as whole is probably less than 7, and the overall risk in the US is low. It seems like the risk of getting coronavirus is probably less than getting another more dangerous commutable disease over 4 days of exposure in a convention center. Really not clear how they looked at the risk, would be curious if they even used a risk manager to make the decision.

I am thinking its likely they are overestimating the risk of coronavirus since it IS impacting their manufacturing sector, or is at least impacting those in adjacent industries. People have a habit of overestimating probabilities associated with consequences if they have anecdotal evidence from others. They could have an on high edict to mitigate any risk associated with the coronavirus, which translates into making decisions like these.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I was saying a couple weeks ago, if there is anything even worse than coronavirus that pops up the world is going to be screwed because companies will not have their bottom line hurt and won't suspend their business internationally. I'm really glad that Sony made this call and is willing to go to that length.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
This is really odd given the number of cases in MA as whole is probably less than 7, and the overall risk in the US is low. It seems like the risk of getting coronavirus is probably less than getting another more dangerous commutable disease over 4 days of exposure in a convention center. Really not clear how they looked at the risk, would be curious if they even used a risk manager to make the decision.
I mean, the risk of transmitting or getting the virus is likely less if they just stay so why risk it if you can afford not to? They have enough money to be able to afford to mitigate the risk, smaller companies would likely not be able to make that call.

N_Cryo

Avenger
Nov 6, 2017
west coast
Given that they already have nintendo-direct-like presentations, I wouldn't be surprised if we get more of those now from Sony.