• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
How do so many people here think that GDC is a fan event? It's literally called Game Developer's Conference. You can only go if you work in the industry.

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
So much for "PlayStation wants to interact more with fans in 2020"

Yes, I know health concerns trump all... but Sony is just cancelling appearances left and right.
First of all, isn't GDC aimed at games industry professionals and not fans?
Even if that wasn't the case do you realise that despite initial intentions priorities change when there is a health and safety issue? You should be glad the event was cancelled because that's less risk for you too. There are more important things than Playstation news.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Between missing all of these shows as a part of a next gen hype cycle and the inevitability of hardware part shortages, both due to the virus, I feel like we will soon start hearing whispers of delay to 2021. Might be for the best anyway.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
e3 had nothing to do with corona.
And we knew they wouldn't attend it before Corona, and was about that time that they stated that had plans for a lot of events for this year. Unfortunately corona affects these kind of events. Including the ones Sony was interested in.
So until we have the virus under control, expect more cancellations. It happens to be the most reasonable approach.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
People's lives are more important than game announcements so I wholeheartedly welcome this. We waited this long for PS5 news we can wait a little longer.
We know how the flu works. Coronavirus is a new thing that we dont even have vaccines for yet.
Until a reliable vaccine is developed or the virus otherwise dies off the wisest course of action is to limit international travel and events such as GDC.
Agree.

Ppl, it's not that serious. If next gen consoles get delayed, so be it.

Feb 8, 2018
I don't fault sony for this... but these are big events. I guess it doesn't mater a ton because ps5 probably wouldn't have been at these events anyways, but god damn the clock is ticking here. At some point they are going to have to start showing something hopefully this issue resolves itself soon or ps5 exposure might have to take a different approach.

taking a different approach ironically won't feel that different now that they're also skipping E3 again .There are pros and cons about releasing info bits over time. Maybe MS' move of officially showing something that is considered next-gen will make them show things a bit earlier than currently scheduled.

Last edited:

hrœrekr

Banned
May 3, 2019
Is there a real risk? Should all other events in NA be cancelled too?

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
e3 had nothing to do with corona.

Yup, E3 had to do with Sony not liking the direction the ESA have and are taking the event, and it seems multiple other companies and notable figures feel the same way. So that's 1 event they're not attending that has nothing to do with the corona virus and we know their reasoning.

There's still several months til launch and many, many opportunities for fan engagement to come. Skipping these events won't even be a minor hindrance once they begin their marketing campaign for the PS5.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yes, I know health concerns trump all... but Sony is just cancelling appearances left and right.
Playstation wants to interact with fans.
Worldwide virus spreads.
Playstation can't interact with fans because of death, possibilities of infection, and other stuff.
"Heh so much for fan interaction, huh Playstation?"

Sleve McDichael

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hopefully this thread won't be as embarrassing as the other one.

The possibility that the coronavirus could cause next-gen shortages at launch is very real. It's becoming more real I think than many of us would like to believe.
I doubt it would impact the launches in the US, but it wouldn't surprise me if Sony and Microsoft will be forced to delay the launch in other regions.

Sony definitely being extra cautious here, I'm fine with it.

Tiago Rodrigues

Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Sony to announce the PS5 in August, 2 or 3 months before release at the only gaming conference they will be a part of this year and ERA will implode.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
It's so weird to see people on Era pissed about this. This a forum where that's for the majority anti crunch and pro union, but there's people here that would be happy to have a corporation send their employees to expos in the middle of an international virus outbreak? Like, where would an employee who doesn't want to be exposed to thousands of rando's coughing on them stand in this situation? Go or be fired?
Good on Sony...and *shivers* Facebook.

hrœrekr

Banned
May 3, 2019
It's not about events in NA specifically. It's about all the people that fly into the event from all over the world.

Many other events are happening in NA every day with people from all over the world. If there is a risk, shouldn't be wise to cancel all of them instead of specific companies deciding if is too risky to attend? What are the recommendations from our authorities monitoring the issue?

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully this thread won't be as embarrassing as the other one.

The possibility that the coronavirus could cause next-gen shortages at launch is very real. It's becoming more real I think than many of us would like to believe.
I doubt it would impact the launches in the US, but it wouldn't surprise me if Sony and Microsoft will be forced to delay the launch in other regions.

Sony definitely being extra cautious here, I'm fine with it.

Yup I agree with this. People here are going to have to come to terms with the fact that this virus will most likely delay their favorite shit. Conference cancellations aren't the only thing happening here. You have entire factories being shut down and quarantined. I almost can't visualize a scenario where both of these systems launch worldwide this fall anymore.

Oct 25, 2017
Less than 2 months into the year, but sure, let's pack it up.
GDC isn't a fan event lol
Acknowledging the very real health concern and taking precautions doesn't negate their desire to interact more with fans in 2020. Plus what fans were going to be at GDC?
Do you think GDC is an event for "fans"?
Coronavirus wasn't a thing when they said that. But i guess that has nothing to do with it, does it?
Game Developers Conference.

The famous fan event.
First of all, isn't GDC aimed at games industry professionals and not fans?
Even if that wasn't the case do you realise that despite initial intentions priorities change when there is a health and safety issue? You should be glad the event was cancelled because that's less risk for you too. There are more important things than Playstation news.
We're still in February. Seriously, chill.
Playstation wants to interact with fans.
Worldwide virus spreads.
Playstation can't interact with fans because of death, possibilities of infection, and other stuff.
"Heh so much for fan interaction, huh Playstation?"
Somehow I think their fans will be totally ok with this like any reasonable person would.

Realize I came off like I was complaining, which wasn't my intent. I know GDC is not a fan event.Was trying to say CV is kinda screwing Sony over in terms of promotion

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
Obviously coronavirus is the sole reason for not attending, since GDC is not a fan event at all and thus Sony has absolutely no reason not to attend regardless of PS5 plans. Also with TLOUS II releasing soon, Sony would have definitely wanted to be at PAX.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
To be fair, e3, pax, GDC... that's a ton of fan interaction. Doesn't mean they can't replace these events, but that is a TON of exposure they're usually a part of that they won't be. I want to be clear that corona is serious business and I don't fault them... but they haven't done much in terms of transparency to interact with fans. We have a logo. That's basically it.

And we have many, many months until it will be available for purchase. There is a lot of time between now and then for Sony to make the case for their console. They may well bungle their messaging by the time the PS5 is ready, but there's a lot of time yet to come their lack of participation in traditional events doesn't mean they aren't going to share information.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Many other events are happening in NA every day with people from all over the world. If there is a risk, shouldn't be wise to cancel all of them instead of specific companies deciding if is too risky to attend? What are the recommendations from our authorities monitoring the issue?
Have you seen the White House Administration? People dying in mass would be a celebration for them.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Obviously Sony has every right as a company to make decisions to skip PAX East and GDC based on their own reasons regarding the virus, but their brief written statements regarding both haven't yet provided any meaningful communication regarding ways to mitigate the impact to fans and developers. Maybe they will still provide follow up regarding both, but there is a difference between short statements to cancel and ones that include things such as "We intend to provide video assets of our planned PAX content online at PlayStation.com and to media outlets" or "We intend to provide on demand sessions of planned GDC content to interested developers and online at PlayStation.com" and so forth.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Obviously NA is not like Wuhan but nobody likes to see it get to that point. Companies using their own discretion is totally reasonable and there's no reason at all to question it.

jrb

Nov 9, 2017
Cannot believe there is people still surprise about this after what happened with the Mobile World Congress, this is what we have to expect to all this major events.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I don't fault sony for this... but these are big events. I guess it doesn't mater a ton because ps5 probably wouldn't have been at these events anyways, but god damn the clock is ticking here. At some point they are going to have to start showing something hopefully this issue resolves itself soon or ps5 exposure might have to take a different approach.
They can put out their own direct if you think about it. It doesn't have to be done in front of a big media presence

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017
Next gen delayed because of coronavirus😅

Meanwhile flu kills over 600.000 people a year.

Manufacturing plants in China are already being affected by the virus, but I don't think next-gen will be delayed, maybe just supply limited at launch.
The flu has a mortality rate of .001%, coronavirus is bopping around 2500 times more deadly with 2.5%. The reason more people aren't dead is that there's a massive concerted push to contain it and not create a pandemic.
Flu deaths will pale in comparison if uncontrolled.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Obviously Sony has every right as a company to make decisions to skip PAX East and GDC based on their own reasons regarding the virus, but their brief written statements regarding both haven't yet provided any meaningful communication regarding ways to mitigate the impact to fans and developers. Maybe they will still provide follow up regarding both, but there is a difference between short statements to cancel and ones that include things such as "We intend to provide video assets of our planned PAX content online at PlayStation.com and to media outlets" or "We intend to provide on demand sessions of planned GDC content to interested developers and online at PlayStation.com" and so forth.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but most GDC content isn't streamed live and if it ever hits the internet it could be weeks or months later. At least that's been my observation, but I could be mistaken.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

These events happen every year and skipping one due to virus is not a big deal.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

edit: Realize the tone of this sounds like I a complaining. Wasn't my intention, just that this kinda sucks for Sony since CV is screwing with their appearances
GDC is not a fan event.

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
Facebook clearly cancelling because they know they're not ready to reveal Facestation 5. Classic Zuckerberg.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Isnt PlayStation HQ literally in the same city GDC takes place?

Seems like Sony is pulling of any public appearances for the foreseeable future

Not literally the same city (HQ is in San Mateo, 19 miles south of SF), but Sony does have an office downtown as well.

GDC is literally in Sony's backyard. Most staff would probably have a shorter commute from home to GDC than they would from home to the office.