• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
What the hell is it lately with all those op-eds that are super positive about Microsoft's future and super negative about Sony's future? I swear it's like Microsoft has put forth some sort of major media bribery campaign in place to swerve the public opinion in their favor. It can't just be coincidence.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
The main risk I see to Sony is them being arrogant and not giving full compatibility to PS4 and an easy transference to PS4 PSN purchases

Seriously. I have a solid digital library, moreso now than the end / start of last gen. That's why it was an easy move from 360 > PS4 for me. If Sony say to me 'sure, you get your existing library day 1 on PS5 at no extra cost', then it makes it really hard for me and a hell of a lot of their install base to move

Other than that, lol at this article

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

More accurate to say that they haven't. I mean, they could. Microsoft has had some huge first-party successes and they have Minecraft. I think the Switch will struggle with third-party AAA games because it's down on power, though.

What the hell is it lately with all those op-eds that are super positive about Microsoft's future and super negative about Sony's future? I swear it's like Microsoft has put forth some sort of major media bribery campaign in place to swerve the public opinion in their favor. It can't just be coincidence.

The same thing happened during the announcement and launch of the Xbox One. The backlash to MS's DRM came from gamers and was not reciprocated in the media to a large extent. There's a problem with gaming media, not sure if it's directly for-pay or just influence-for-access.

Oct 31, 2017
Also...is it just me or North America is usually quite...nasty towards Sony?
I always sense a certain cynicism every single time a new Sony console is coming.
And Xbox is always hyped up to a maximum.

Every single generation has articles like this that try to bring down Sony for no reason whatsoever.
The American gaming media is too patriotic and can't hide its bias. That's why we get shitty articles like this every time a new Sony console is about to launch.

Last edited:

Superplex

Nov 4, 2017
<3

Perhaps it's a reflection of the efforts that the Xbox brand has been making to appear more consumer friendly

Or maybe it's a conspiracy like you said

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
Also...is it just me or North America is usually quite...nasty towards Sony?
I always sense a certain cynicism every single time a new Sony console is coming.
And Xbox is always hyped up to a maximum.

Every single generation has articles like this that try to bring down Sony for no reason whatsoever.
MS is the underdog.........People love a good underdog story. Also Xbox is an American product.

The Struggler

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 3, 2019
So far this gen with it closing they didnt have a killer app much like sony and nintendo. Also they sold off the xbox one x as the most powerful console and had no graphically demanding games that showed it off. Microsoft this gen didnt even show up. Hopefully next gen they right the ship

Jan 20, 2019
The main risk I see to Sony is them being arrogant and not giving full compatibility to PS4 and an easy transference to PS4 PSN purchases

Seriously. I have a solid digital library, moreso now than the end / start of last gen. That's why it was an easy move from 360 > PS4 for me. If Sony say to me 'sure, you get your existing library day 1 on PS5 at no extra cost', then it makes it really hard for me and a hell of a lot of their install base to move

Other than that, lol at this article

They already annouance that, your account on ps4 will be the same on ps5 with everything.

Stoopkid

Oct 27, 2017
It's literally the ps4 launch all over again.

Fully expecting Sony has no money articles next.

Peterc

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hardcore is fake, it doesnt exist anymore imo(depends on what hzrcore means for you). They will just focus on the mainstream gamers. At my work everyone play fifa on PlayStation and consider themself hardcore gamers. Sony will again get big sales numbers and probably win the next gen. They will focus their hi advertising again for the mainstream gamers like they always do.

That ofcourse doesn't mean sony will only sell to mainstream gamers. Microsoft again will probably focus more on those mainstream gamers also but it would't work, they will stick mostly with the pc gamers that are actually more heavy gamers. The question is how long console will overwin streaming, portable and vr. I thibk it is a dead end and probably will be the last gen. Even the gfx are getting less better and better. You could almost say we get the same games with a higher res and more frames. I really dislike that.

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
"restricted"

Thats not the word you're looking for. The word(s) you want are "targeting the demographic of individuals that purchase video games because they enjoy it as a dedicated hobby and not a time waster waiting for the bus"

Oct 25, 2017
lol hardcore gamers are the influencers, they basically de
It was like that throughout this gen too. I remember there were like dozens of articles when the PS4 was having a slow release period and how MS's offering was looking much better lol.

BradleyLove

Oct 29, 2017
2013 called, and they want their Op-Ed's back.

Is anyone really surprised to see the US media doing PR for MS again?

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
lol
Oh wait, they are serious, let me laugh harder.
Hahaha..

also they are basing this on the fact that Patcher said PS5 could be 800$ which is ridiculous.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Calling it now, PS5 will outpace the PS4 sales from day 1 for the entirety of its lifetime. If the PS4 somehow doesn't manage to eventually surpass the PS2 lifetime sales then the PS5 will do it.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
They already annouance that, your account on ps4 will be the same on ps5 with everything.

In which case, MS are gonna have a real hard time eating into this pie. Five years of digital sales man!

And I say this as someone who did leave from the 360 > PS4 but has great respect for MS's work particularly in back compat

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Backwards compatible is gonna make people who own a ps4 think "this is a natural upgrade" and if you sell them games as wide appealing yet hardcore like spiderman you'll do just fine

Jan 20, 2019
In which case, MS are gonna have a real hard time eating into this pie. Five years of digital sales man!

And I say this as someone who did leave from the 360 > PS4 but has great respect for MS's work particularly in back compat

Yah,they made sure that everybody whould know that PS5 is BC digital and fisical to the ps4 soo that peopel remain on ther eco system.

Im sure they will push that narrative in the upcoming months even more.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
Both consoles will be fine. Both consoles ARE fine. Neither are going to pull a Wii U and if Xbox one is the MS Wii U then there's nothing to worry about.

As an aside, I'd be generally interested to know the gen 7 console sales up to the launch of gen 8 in 2013. I know that PS3 sold 12m or so AFTER PS4 launched which may have taken it ahead of 360 but to me, the generation was already over by then. So whoever sold the most before the next gen rolled along won it. After that it'd be like two retired tennis players playing each other and counting their victories as official wins.

But that's just curiosity on my part.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Why wouldn't you focus on the most passionate & motivated-to-spend consumers, especially out of the gate? These are your early adopters who are going to buy multiple games, subscribe to services, and carry the conversation.

It's also important to remember that Sony will be actively supporting the PS4 into 2021. History has shown us that there are always a lot of more casual gamers who are in the market for cheap older hardware at the start of new generations.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
More accurate to say that they haven't. I mean, they could. Microsoft has had some huge first-party successes and they have Minecraft. I think the Switch will struggle with third-party AAA games because it's down on power, though.
Yes that would be more accurate, it sounded like you were just assuming that history will automatically repeat itself for some reason.
The reality is that MS is super focused on fixing the lacking 1st party situation, they have doubled the number of 1st party studios in like a year and is still hunting for talent all over the globe. And nothing says that a lack of power will cause Nintendo to not get AAA successes or that they won't have power next gen, we could look at Switch and assume that they'll stay on that course but I think it's better to at least wait until they show their future plans before talking about how things will end.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
There is no reaction gif extreme enough to express my reaction to this article.

Maybe the Jimbo one will do. okay let's goooooooo.

tenor.gif

shem

Oct 25, 2017
Love to have threads on opinion articles that are responding to other opinion articles

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
What the hell do they think is going to happen? Sony is going to print "hardcore gamers only" on the box and then nobody is going to buy it? This is some stupid ass shit.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
How anyone thinks Xbox One won't carry 360's momentum into next gen is beyond me unless Microsoft fucks up big time which given how they've already confirmed BC and are working on improving their streaming service seems nigh impossible. Lol

The Microsoft downplay is ridiculous

How anyone thinks Wii U won't carry Wii's momentum into next gen is beyond me unless Nintendo fucks up big time which given how they've already confirmed BC and are working on improving their streaming service seems nigh impossible. Lol

The Nintendo downplay is ridiculous
I don't think you understand what momentum is. Or how it's measured.

Those 2 are perfect examples of going into the next gen with losing momentum. With the 360 to XBO an even better example.

What's even wilder is the XBO to their next gen console is also a losing momentum situation. Not saying its over before next gen starts...but it's looking eerily like how last gen ended. For both the 360 and the PS3.

Last edited:

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

MS is talking and telling people what they want to hear. Sony is staying silent and that makes people nervous. I think the current state of affairs is expected given the circumstances.

Abu

Oct 25, 2017
😏
deadstation 5 gone bro. long gone to the trash bin with its uncharted clones and furry animal games they call a triple A library.

happy days ahead of us yall

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
As a European I always chuckle when I read these hot takes because I already know how this is going to play out here.

Lightning1981

Mar 31, 2019
Price will always be the determining factor i believe. Good price point system will sell as Sony consoles usually always have the games. They just got to strike the right price.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis

I would agree with this, except Game Pass helps negate this. If the average PS4 player has a few dozen games in their library, and you have a couple hundred awaiting you when you switch, not so traumatic. Now the long-time big-time PS fans who have been accumulating mountains of purchases for years and every PS+ game ever, etc.? Yah they ain't switching. Just like I'm not leaving my 600+ game Xbox library any time soon.

But the PS4 attach rate is like 9 games a console, plus whatever freebies have been accumulated. Not dozens -or hundreds. Most people aren't buying a metric ton of games. And a lot of people really don't care if they leave games behind. With a few exceptions for each player, they're disposable in the long term for most players.

Still, PS5 gonna be just fine, though I would certainly not be surprised if it doesn't reach PS4 numbers with what looks to be more Xbox competition, DEFINITELY more Nintendo competition, plus constant PC growth and all the streaming services.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
lol...Sony fucked up everything you could fuck up with the PS3 and still sold 80m consoles while battling Nintendo on the handheld front.

Likelihood of a new Playstation console selling less is very low.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"I'm returning this PS5. My son tried to play it but the controller burned his hand - he said that the system was just too hardcore for him and he was unworthy."

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Nearly every successful platform targets core gamers early. Even Switch did.

The only big platforms I can think that didn't primairily target core gamers upfront were DS and Wii but even they still had had many core oriented titles upfront to bring that audience along.

It wasn't on 360 at all.
So what are we considering generations? Did Xbox 360 not deliver on games?

People remember the last half of the 360 gen very differently than i did apparently.

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Fake news media!

/joke.

But they are wrong, I want a strong console and I want to pay for it. It needs to be future proof