• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
All I want is for the system to be easy to work on and for the games to be cheaper and take less time to make. It feels like we got much less content on the ps4 compared to the ps3. So many remasters and ports. I hope the ps5 is affordable, easy to develop for and cost effective for studios so we get some great content and a large variety.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
It will both be pricey and still half the cost of whatever iphone comes out that year that people buy in droves.

Theyll be fine.

The difference is that people use their iPhone's every day and for multiple hours so can justify the price (especially if it's a monthly payment too). It's become less of a luxury item and more of a necessity these days.

Dropping $500-600 on something you use once or twice a week at most is more of a hard sell.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
New hardware is rarely dead on arrival. Will be dead eventually would be more convincing. Sony wouldn't even need to announce anything until a month after the PS5 launch and people will still buy it out at launch.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
Yes because PS4's success and the Xbone's struggle at the start was totally not a product of the "hardcore" audience lashing out at MS and their shithouse launch. A casual audience wouldn't have done that.

Jean Valjean

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
giphy.gif

Oh, I read it as CNN. lol

LuuKyK

Oct 29, 2017
Brazil
Oh the dawn of a new gen...

Always bringing the best out of gaming press.

There is some truth to this.

As I get older and my time constraints change with gaming the gamepass subscription service makes sense.

This gen I was all ps4 with probably 50 hard copy games in my library . My playstation + just expired and I didnt renew.

I'm not seeing the value in the ps brand right now besides exclusives. Microsoft has them beat in every single aspect besides that.

Besides exclusives? How can you just brush that off as something irrelevant. I am pretty sure that's one of the main reasons to own a console. Lol and one that Sony has been excelling at for the last two gens.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I assumed this article would be about Sony potentially pricing themselves out of of the market. They have all of these other bases covered better than most except cloud gaming, a slice they're very much trying address.

Based on their own recent statements, not even MS is taking a cloud gaming first approach. The basis of this article is wrong across the board.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that plan backfired for them tremendously back in 2013, when will Sony learn that people that play lots of games dont buy consoles that play lots of games

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I think what all these raving money market capitalists, as well as Google (and MS to a certain extent) are missing is that the console gaming business is a niche.

It always has been and always will be. It's a consistently growing and embarassingly lucrative niche, however.

It's a market that exists and grows organically. It's not one where there's some mystical untapped wider market cross-section that wants to play console games but can't justify the price of a console or doesn't want to buy hardware or any of that other BS.

This idea that there's this hidden pool of gamers itching to play games like COD, Assassins Creed and GTA, but doesn't wanna buy a console or wants to play on a tablet or other shitty tiny 4inch screen is going to bite these folks invested in this midset in the ass... hard!!! It doesn't exist.

The only untapped market for console games is overseas in non english speaking territories whose interests the current console gaming industry simply doesn't serve. Currently, Sony seem to be the only company taking them seriously.

Savinowned

Oct 25, 2017
Nashville, TN
Microsoft may be able to put up a decent fight in the US next year if they show us some really promising exclusives at E3 2020, but we all know Sony will be fine globally. Looking forward to the new gen though!

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
release ps1 rebranded as ps5 for 50e
hell yeah new gen

ps didnt know professional places were allowed to troll this way too

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
3 out of Sony's 4 consoles will wind up moving over 100m units. Only 1 non-Sony console has ever broken the 100m barrier. I think Sony is going to be fine.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair they have said that the cost of Scarlett would be "reasonable" and there have been rumors that Scarlett will be less powerful than the PS5 and thus, cheaper.
No, not really. Scarlett would still be as powerful as the PS5. From what we know, the difference of performance between both will be miniscule.

I dont remember any rumors saying that Scarlett will be cheaper.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah they have no idea what they are talking about. Its no different than the PS4 Strategy of being For the Gamers in a sense. Lol That would include really good hardware plus a strong & unique software

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I think with gaming consoles they target the niche early adopters first and then when the price drops, other people will get what their friends have which will be what was most popular with the first group.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I dont remember any rumors saying that Scarlett will be cheaper.

If something is less powerful it is usually less expensive. The only exception to this is portable hardware.

No, not really. Scarlett would still be as powerful as the PS5. From what we know, the difference of performance between both will be miniscule.

I'm going by these:

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
its embarrassing how the western gaming press want sony to fail and xbox to win so much. Happened last gen, happened start of this gen and looks like it will happen again.

Is there some nationality bias going on or what?

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Preview of next week's article:

The new model of Ford will be dead on arrival with Ford's "Licensed Driver" strategy

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The boxes are likely to be very similar in power, even if the PS5 is slightly more powerful. So I wouldn't count on a larger difference than $50 if any.

When did MS say the price was going to be reasonable?

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Kind of interesting, given that Michael Pachter has posited a similar idea in interviews. Basically saying that if the PS5 is positioned towards top-end specs, it'll be a disaster like the PS3 was at launch, since it will undoubtedly sell for $500-600.

Yes, I know, lol Pachter, but I'd be more willing to disbelieve him if what he's predicted didn't already happen once before.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What they're not accounting for is that hardcore gamers have more casual friends. IE if you want to play with your buddies, you're usually picking up the same console they are. Crossplay could dampen this, though it's still not very widely adopted.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

There wont be a big of a difference.

Hell, I know those rumors, but those are based on devkits/targetted specs during E3.

As it stands, there's still a chance Scarlett can be more powerful.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
To be fair they have said that the cost of Scarlett would be "reasonable" and there have been rumors that Scarlett will be less powerful than the PS5 and thus, cheaper.
Cerny also told PS5 price will be appealing to gamers, so i dont think they will go to the 599$ route again, but im expecting it to be at lest 499$. I dont think scarlet will be cheaper. They will be using the same AMD chips if im not mistaken, both will be using SSD harddrives, both will target 4k with ray tracing. So my guess is that they will have very similar specs with probably the same price tag.

Last edited:

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's somewhat vague but this:

"Jason Ronald, director of the Xbox platform, gave only a vague reassurance when speaking to Windows Central, saying that Microsoft knew "what reasonable price points are for a console and kind of what customers expect about that"."

That's just saying they know what sells best, price wise, not that the console will be in that range right away.

Hell look at the price of the XBX still.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hardcore gamers just means people willing to pay MSRP for consoles and games.
Yes. I understand. But I use the term with regard to those that are prepared to invest the $400-500 at launch AND who also happen to be core gamers, as apposed to those mostly into games found on mobile or are prepared to keep this gen machines for years to come.
Basically, no one expects casuals to buy new consoles on launch and when they do buy it, third parties they know and love will have the games they want.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
The price and game library will dictate that

(Ain't gonna happen unless they pull ajothe ps3 which I doubt especially since any opening they give would be a opportunity for MS)

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
How anyone thinks PS5 won't carry PS4's momentum into next gen is beyond me unless Sony fucks up big time which given how they've already confirmed BC and are working on improving their streaming service seems nigh impossible. Lol

The Sony downplay is ridiculous

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
PS5 will absolutely not be DOA, but I think if Microsoft delivers on the games, their strategy of getting the Xbox ecosystem into pretty much any screen/box imaginable is going to pay off big time.

I think it will. People, and kids especially play where their friends are. If everyone effectively own the device they need to play with their friends by virtue of xCloud, then Microsoft is going to have a big leg up.

Sony needs to be 100% open to cross-platform play next gen, or they'll be locking themselves out of a much larger ecosystem.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
So supposedly 46% of Gamers fall into a segment that largely disinterested in paying for games outside of a few large whales (who are...a niche) or are "streaming services gamers", a segment which Sony already targets, which has turned out to be a pretty small niche, and which otherwise is mostly hypothetical because other companies' services haven't even launched yet, so nobody has any actual idea how large this segment will be in the long term, how sticky the recurring revenue will be, etc?

This is some Universe Brain business advice.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
They focused on games instead of multimedia like the PS3/Xbox One and $400 is NOT a casual price. Hardcore gamers are the huge majority paying $400 at launch.

Sure a higher price will always make it a harder sell but PS4 was certainly not a casual gamer console at launch.

On that subject with inflation and a much better economy(in US anyway) than 2013 it could still do very well.

Ok but PS4 was a mid range hardware and the jump was easy on developers. at 400$ Sony was breaking even and turning a profit with selling additional games and/or subscription.

this time they are aiming at a higher end device that could be over engineered like PS3, the jump to PS5 won't be easy on a lot of small and midsize companies, and their output matters because they provide users with new content on a regular pace and add variety.

this time we've heard that PS5 maybe sold for 500$ while also losing 100$ on every device. yes it is a rumor only for now but if it is true it will take quite sometime to bring the price of the device down.

like you said, i have 0 doubt that PS5 will do very well, even PS3 did more than OK, but i'm not expecting the same level of sales PS4 achieved at least with the information we are hearing now. i guess we have to wait for next year for the picture to become more clear.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The difference is that people use their iPhone's every day and for multiple hours so can justify the price (especially if it's a monthly payment too). It's become less of a luxury item and more of a necessity these days.

Dropping $500-600 on something you use once or twice a week at most is more of a hard sell.

You dont need to shell out 1k every year for phone, regardless of use though ... plus plenty of people use their home console daily, especially the core audience as gaming is not a niche thing anymore.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
There wont be a big of a difference.

Hell, I know those rumors, but those are based on devkits/targetted specs during E3.

As it stands, there's still a chance Scarlett can be more powerful.

Of course there is a chance, it's rumors after all. But all of this will be speculation and rumors until the consoles are priced and have had a tear down anyway.

That's just saying they know what sells best, price wise, not that the console will be in that range right away.

Why wouldn't they price the console at what sells best? The X is an enthusiast console and was marketed as such.