• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

alstrike

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
CCN, a financial news site with a focus on gaming

giphy.gif

The Struggler

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 3, 2019
One is trying to be the netflix of gaming with in my opinion mediocre games

And the other is appealing to all my interest with AAA games that are doing well critically and sales wise

Hmm the choices

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Isn't it the same site which published not too much time ago the bizzarre poll where the Xbox was placed higher in their rank as the more recognised brand compared playstation or Nintendo? If so, come on people, it's time to change your job. Maybe the smartphone market is easier to handle but they should stop with such hyperbole article.

Last edited:

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
It's never mentioned because it's the only one with a streaming game service up and running. People already know PS Now isn't very good.
So because the service is not that good, we must ignore the fact Sony and MS are working to improve both companies streaming services? At the end of the day, is most likely that Sony and MS will eventually be using the exact same streaming distrubuition tech.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
It will be DOA because of 599 or even 499, not because of the hard-core first strategy.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Right at the end of that article: You Might like - "Xbox Two Could Thrash Sony PS5 in the Next Round of the Console Wars"

I mean...they aren't really trying to hide it.

Cool, and in 2013 nearly every article was "all the things wrong with the Xbox One". The media obviously want a closer fight between Sony and Microsoft so there's more to write about.

Lets not even get into how many "Nintendo are doomed" articles there have been over the years.

It will be DOA because of 599 or even 499, not because of the hard-core first strategy.

Wouldn't the price be part of that strategy?

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
It's never mentioned because it's the only one with a streaming game service up and running. People already know PS Now isn't very good.
Indeed, and it's just assumed the others will be good in blind faith. I realise Stadia had its beta last year but that was extremely limited only to the US, only to those with a strong enough connection and of course only those who signed up because they had an enthusiast interest in cloud gaming in the first place.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Nearly every successful platform targets core gamers early. Even Switch did.

The only big platforms I can think that didn't primairily target core gamers upfront were DS and Wii but even they still had had many core oriented titles upfront to bring that audience along.

unfortunately this is microsofts #1 problem going back three generations now
It wasn't on 360 at all.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
We've heard it before. We'll hear it again.

"One day, these predictions must be true! I'll just keep repeating them!"

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't read the full article at work but do they ignore or dismiss the importance of backwards compatibility in retaining a userbase?

For example, if Joe Schmoe the "time filler" gamer already owns a PS4 and a good number of games why would he invest in anything other than a PS5 if he can easily take his games with him? Even more so if he is now free to sell his PS4 towards a PS5.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
MARK MY WORDS...
This thread is not going to age well with this point of view. Sony may say THEY want to focus on Hardcore players, but the fact their business strategy is a 20/80 mix of 1st party games, no matter how they market it, third party publishers will bring plenty of casual games day 1.. over and above how they market next gen backwards compatibility (its enhancements for PS4 games too)
Silly argument, saying it'd be dead on arrival.

Remember the same stupid sentiment when Mobile was going to rule the world.
Hardcore gamers just means people willing to pay MSRP for consoles and games.

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
There is some truth to this.

As I get older and my time constraints change with gaming the gamepass subscription service makes sense.

This gen I was all ps4 with probably 50 hard copy games in my library . My playstation + just expired and I didnt renew.

I'm not seeing the value in the ps brand right now besides exclusives. Microsoft has them beat in every single aspect besides that.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
For example, if Joe Schmoe the "time filler" gamer already owns a PS4 and a good number of games why would he invest in anything other than a PS5 if he can easily take his games with him? Even more so if he is now free to sell his PS4 towards a PS5.

Well, the obvious reason would be because if he bought the new Xbox, he'd gain access to the games he missed last gen. Not saying that's a better reason than upgrading within the same ecosystem, but it's a reason.

Also, a "time filler" gamer would be very unlikely to own a game console at all.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I'm not sure it's quite the right strategy, since it seems similar to what they did with the PS3, and that backfired.

That said, barring Stadia or Xcloud suddenly destroying the console market, the PS3 also showed that even if they do have a completely wrong strategy, they can cruise to 80 Million if they want to.

IvanSlavkov

Oct 27, 2017
Bulgaria
i concur. I am in singapore. There's no way in the seven hells that you can convince us southeast asians to subscribe to an online service to stream games....

it's one thing to stream tv and movies via netflix. For gaming, fat chance man...

Eastern Europe, Bulgaria here and although we have fast as f*ck internet for dirt cheap, none of us will switch to streaming gaming just because it's being pushed. I do have ps now via my UK account and I love playing some ps3 games from time to time, but goigng out cloud/stream gaming is out of the question, no matter what.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Can't read the full article at work but do they ignore or dismiss the importance of backwards compatibility in retaining a userbase?

No, because streaming is the future, you must ignore everething else. Streaming is the new mobile games future that doomed PS4 XB1 and Switch. What they ignore is how bad streaming is and how alot of the world, especial casuals dont have internet good enough for streaming games.

Oct 2, 2018

As I get older and my time constraints change with gaming the gamepass subscription service makes sense.

This gen I was all ps4 with probably 50 hard copy games in my library . My playstation + just expired and I didnt renew.

I'm not seeing the value in the ps brand right now besides exclusives. Microsoft has them beat in every single aspect besides that.

I game on PS4 and I now own all consoles except the xboxone. I dont see a need for one. Btw, Switch, PC+PS4, all my gaming bases are covered. I dont have windows 10 yet, but if i cared for gamepass - I'll upgrade my pc and play MS games on there.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
I feel confident saying the PS5 will not be DOA. They could deliver a box that punches people in the face and it will still sell decently.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
This is all a bunch of broad stroke speculation at this point. Sometimes targeting the enthusiast market works just fine, other times it does not. Nothing really interesting to dig into.

All of it will probably come down to the price vs performance narrative that develops around the next get consoles. And of course, who has compelling games to show.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah no there's very little truth to this.

Not wrong.
if Sony don't make a gamepass equivalence service soon, they will slowly become the blockbuster of gaming.
They can survive within their traditional niche but the world have moved on.
The world isn't moving on with microsoft, game pass is fine but it's not the game changer that some pretend it to be just like google stradia has a long way to go to even compete and it's not there yet.
ERA disagrees.... so that's how you know it's true!
There were tons of articles in 2013 saying sony was dead and microsoft was going to run away with it. That never happened and will not happen. All this is the same doom and gloom that some sites wanna pretend is fact.

Last edited:

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It will both be pricey and still half the cost of whatever iphone comes out that year that people buy in droves.

Theyll be fine.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I'm not sure it's quite the right strategy, since it seems similar to what they did with the PS3, and that backfired.

That said, barring Stadia or Xcloud suddenly destroying the console market, the PS3 also showed that even if they do have a completely wrong strategy, they can cruise to 80 Million if they want to.
Nah ps3 hardware wise was a total disaster with the Kutaragi obsession of the cell cpu. And the final result wasn't even worth for such price. Multiplat showed it more than a time. There was no need of such exotic hardware. This time the console won't have such issue and surely won't cost 599 bucks. We are far away to the ps3 situation.

ieandrew

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
By focusing on the part of the market known to be early adopters, the console will die early! ...somehow.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
hardcore gamers generally dictate where the market is going. they went to the 360 early on and it was the dominant console. same happened with the ps4. early adopters are the hardcore audience and sony is doing the right thing trying to get them on their console first.

maneauleau

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
If games from Japanese editors like Square Enix, Atlus etc continue to avoid Xbox I don't see how PS5 could be dead on arrival with these and its own exclusive games and the continued support of AAA third parties and indies.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Neat Neat .

I think the 8 categories of gamers the article links to is much more interesting.

he Eight Personas:
  • The Ultimate Gamer (13%) — You love nothing more than spending all your money and free time on games.
  • The All-Around Enthusiast (9%) — You live a balanced gaming life in your playing, viewing, and buying habits.
  • The Cloud Gamer (19%) — You're most likely an early adopter of game streaming services and will only spend money on hardware when necessary.
  • The Conventional Player (4%) — You own tons of gaming hardware and would rather spend your time playing games than watching other people play games.
  • The Hardware Enthusiast (9%) — You keep up with all the latest hardware trends and probably have a $5,000 extreme-build rig with RGB lighting everywhere.
  • The Popcorn Gamer (13%) — You don't play games all that much, but you like watching others play.
  • The Backseat Viewer (6%) — You used to game a lot, but you got older and life happened, so you get your kicks from watching esports and people play other games.
  • The Time Filler (27%) — You play games to pass the time, when you have time, and you rarely touch a PC game.
If you want to take a truncated version of that survey that created these profiles.

Looking at those categories I can sort of see why they make this announcement but if they are relying heavily on this I think they are under estimating how big of audience Sony is trying to reach.

Compared to the cloud streaming approach which is attractive to 46% of the market Sony's approach is attractive to 35% of the market which is healthy enough to grow year over year even with competition from Nintendo and the PC gaming/retro console ecosystem for some of that market.