• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Except XSX does blow PS5 out of the water... but at a most likely a higher MSRP.
Sigh.
Thank you.
But I can't understand the ben of this design if you need so much customisations for get better performance but increasing the cost, when you just simply use a simple configuration, more expensive but with better specs
You'll have to ask Sony why they made the decisions they did, but the PS5 is certainly the result of a clear vision.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
EUoF3ylWsAQI4-M
this is too good lmao. pretty much exactly whats going on. lmao

Dec 31, 2017
It really doesn't though, which is what most of the posters here have been trying to say.
I'd say we should wait for third party comparisons at launch, then we will know. Until then most of the speculation is pointless, although very rarely have less Tflops and slower CPU speeds translated into better results on screen.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
He's the least suspect of them all so far, but his most recent tweet that he deleted certainly puts his motives into question. In Unlocked #436 he claimed Cerny was "pulling a fast one" and used info from a "software developer" that references the Github leaks to talk about the current PS5, instead of reaching out to the legions of devs his position gives him the ability to. He lamented on the same podcast that "console war is inevitable" but did nothing to correct the narrative on the podcast that "MS blows PS5 out of the water"- an inaccurate claim that only serves to stoke the console wars. All of this despite this being the closest specs between a Sony/MS console ever. You couldn't even claim that in terms of hardware that "PS4 blows XB1 out of the water", despite that being close to a 40% difference. Like I said, too much FUD for this to be simple negligence.

He himself didn't say Cerny was pulling a fast one, he was given info from said software developer and that's one of the things that was said.

It's not really egregious...

Rex1157

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
I'd say we should wait for third party comparisons at launch, then we will know. Until then most of the speculation is pointless, although very rarely have less Tflops and slower CPU speeds translated into better results on screen.
I'd wager we have to wait for game engines to be optimized for the new architecture rather than the Jaguar cores as mentioned in the video as well. Either way, the specs shown aren't different enough to be considered blown out of the water given that both consoles have advantages in different areas.

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
I think you are looking at this a wrong way, people can't accept that consoles are very close in power and have their own advantages, which goes against the notion that one must be decidedly better then the other resulting in concern trolling and spreading of misinformation.

Cerny "Lies" and tweets about random youtube comments about made up PS5 issues in PS5 tech discussion thread is more about insecure fanboys form one camp not accepting that they are not getting the decisive "win" then people not accepting that PS5 has less teraflops to me, none is denying the latter.

It's entertaining to certain extend but has a tendency to quickly become a shitshow, like in this case.

This is precisely what I think as well.
These consoles are really close, they will have their own advantages. Both are great and represent bigger jumps relatively to their predecessors compared to XB1/PS4.
Unfortunately that is not the outcome that some fanboys wanted, they wanted a reversal of what happened last gen, since it isn't happening in reality and they feel insecure they want to make it happen through misinformation and concern trolling.
It's stupid because since it's fake it won't stick, it will be easily debunked and people involved in this bullshit will simply lose credibility. It also makes discussions tedious and annoying if not total shitshows like this thread has become.
Hopefully things will get better but I doubt it....

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Thread is locked temporarily while we review it and the reports it is generating.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Official Staff Communication
This thread is about the Digital Foundry Deep Dive of the PS5 and what that means for playstation going forward. This thread is not about the XSX or conspiracy theories about journalists reporting on these matters via meta commentary or tangents

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I prefer the sound produced by the Mega Drive's Yamaha chip over the SPC-700 in Super NES. Both can sound great in the right hands but Sega has the edge.

Also, the 68000? That's one heck of a CPU.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is only up from here.

DF as expected created another awesome video detailing technical specifications of the PS5. I absolutely am excited for the further reveals about the console.
The DF crew does some good work. I love their analysis and look forward to more insight as move closer to launch.

I feel I always learn more after watching their videos.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
This thread is the perfect encapsulation of why I'm trying to break my habit of reading and posting on here. The constant attacks on Alex, John, and DF are completely unacceptable and the discourse in these tech threads is atrocious. This is just nasty

Pretty much feel the same way nowadays. I have become addicted to this place. I think it's best to stick to console screenshot thread and only pose questions when I have them. The gaming threads, especially when concerning PS5 thread (and I have been told similar for XSX thread) turns into an absolute shithole.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
I prefer the sound produced by the Mega Drive's Yamaha chip over the SPC-700 in Super NES. Both can sound great in the right hands but Sega has the edge.

Excellent video, really augments what Cerny mentioned in his talk.

To be honest, now all I want to see is the physical hardware and the games.

Yung Coconut

Oct 31, 2017
What's going on in this thread? People acting like the same didn't happen when the PS4 ended up being more powerful than the Xbox One. Happens with every console release. People just choose to pay attention when it affects them most. Don't act like we've been blindsided by this.

Either way, at this point Sony just needs to show something more significant or discussion is going to get worse and worse as time passes. I try not to reply much and just read for the entertainment at this point lol

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017

Me too, it's a competition between an excellent synth chip and a mediocre wavetable chip. Games using non-default sound fonts on the SNES can sound amazing though.

Btw, since the Tempest audio engine is structured like Cell SPUs and has a local store + manual DMA, and it has a theoretical top end close to the Cell, is there any chance Sony's going go the old BC route of using a previous gen CPU for the audio of the current one? :) Yes, I know it's actually an AMD CU, but it sounds like it should be pretty close to being able to run SPU code.

Stixitnu

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 9, 2018
holy shit lol

What did y'all do? At least the last 7 pages would explain why I was seemingly removed from what I assume was the linked discord.

Think Sony have made a box they wanted to make from day 1. They've never been about making the strongest possible box just for the sake of it.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Great to see more info. Liking what I hear so far about the PS5. Excited to see new games and what the box actually looks like!

ppn7

May 4, 2019
No VRS support, does it really matter when primitive shader tend to do the same thing ?

OP
OP
Wollan

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
No VRS support, does it really matter when primitive shader tend to do the same thing ?
It's neither confirmed or dis-confirmed.
And it's merely an API/driver implementation I suspect with it being RDNA2 based hardware underneath.
The graphics API feature-set is largely undisclosed as it is the larger hardware aspects that has been touched upon.

Last edited:

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020

I came across a quote in my work gaming chat room that if the SNES chip gave the sound of a symphony orchestra, the MD chip gave the sound of punk rock.

No idea where it originated from, but it feels bang on the money to me.

TuMekeNZ

Oct 27, 2017
Auckland, New Zealand
What's going on in this thread? People acting like the same didn't happen when the PS4 ended up being more powerful than the Xbox One. Happens with every console release. People just choose to pay attention when it affects them most. Don't act like we've been blindsided by this.

Either way, at this point Sony just needs to show something more significant or discussion is going to get worse and worse as time passes. I try not to reply much and just read for the entertainment at this point lol
Yes need to learn to filter out the usual BS, especially if official sources can't be named.
I find it extremely hard to believe Sony would risk putting out a disaster of a console when Playstation is now one of their key pillars and biggest earners.
Also the accusation that they only decided to up the clocks last minute because of XSX is pretty laughable. That seems like a rookie move and PS/Sony are no rookies in the console space.

Anyway back to the topic at hand, great video from DF team and looking forward to future content. Hopefully its just around the corner!
Maybe now we have a bit of a gap until TLoU2 releases, Sony will be a bit more open to dropping more info without fear of overshadowing upcoming games.

TuMekeNZ

Oct 27, 2017
Auckland, New Zealand

I always found the more grungy sound of the MD sound chip far more appealing than the much cleaner SNES chip. I can have numerous MD soundtracks running through my head but struggle to come up with many from the SNES.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
One thing I'm still not clear on... does the power limit on the PS5 allow for both the CPU and GPU to run at their highest/capped frequency? I'm guess no or otherwise there would be no need to divert power.

If not, then what I'd be curious to know is what is the highest possible CPU frequency when GPU is running at max frequency and what is highest possible GPU frequency when the CPU is running at max frequency?

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
One thing I'm still not clear on... does the power limit on the PS5 allow for both the CPU and GPU to run at their highest/capped frequency? I'm guess no or otherwise there would be no need to divert power.

If not, then what I'd be curious to know is what is the highest possible CPU frequency when GPU is running at max frequency and what is highest possible GPU frequency when the CPU is running at max frequency?

Did you watch the video? I think they say pretty clearly that the PS5 actually can run both the CPU and GPU at max clocks at the same time depending on power draw which in turn relies on how heavy the workload is.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017

I'm pretty sure Cerny said multiple times that both can run at max frequency at the same time.

Clock is not the same as power draw.

DrScissorsMD

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 19, 2019
Okay so genuine question. I'm not understanding the comments being made regarding CPU/GPU peaks and clock speeds. They're called variable, as in can fluctuate/are not fixed, but then as I understand it Cerny has confirmed both can run at max simultaneously? So why are they labelled variable? And don't just say "cause they run at different clocks depending on how intensive the game is" cause, like, don't all consoles/games do that? And then I've seen comments saying "if it's a more intensive game and there isn't enough power, one or the other will lower it's clocks accordingly". How does that pair up with both being able to run at peak performance? Is both running at peak only for very short bursts? Educate me.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle

They can both run max at the same time under certain workloads.

High workloads meaning lots of high end parallel processes they can't both be at max clock.

It's a bit of a catch 22 but it makes sense.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

It does but certain workloads can get it past that limit .

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Yo bros, this did not help understand and appreciate the PS5. I still need it to be dumbed down a lot more.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017

SPC-700 ? The objectively superior Sony hardware? You are finally showing your true colors! ;-)

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
Okay so genuine question. I'm not understanding the comments being made regarding CPU/GPU peaks and clock speeds. They're called variable, as in can fluctuate/are not fixed, but then as I understand it Cerny has confirmed both can run at max simultaneously? So why are they labelled variable? And don't just say "cause they run at different clocks depending on how intensive the game is" cause, like, don't all consoles/games do that? And then I've seen comments saying "if it's a more intensive game and there isn't enough power, one or the other will lower it's clocks accordingly". How does that pair up with both being able to run at peak performance? Is both running at peak only for very short bursts? Educate me.
There is an upper limit on the power that the APU can consume.

Different workloads consume different levels of power.

One workload consumes less than the power cap, allowing both the CPU and GPU to run at max clocks.

A different workload (involving AVX-256 instructions) would exceed the power budget. As such, a downclock occurs.

Albert Penello

Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Redmond, WA
Well the article clearly disproved the idea that the CPU and GPU would have to tradeoff performance to run at the higher clocks which was something that seemed to be the case from the presentation.

I also thought the test between the two GPU's normalizing the TFLOPS with a 36cu and 40cu GPU was pretty interesting. I would not have thought you would see any material performance change when the FLOPS were the same but that was an interesting result.

Also nice to clear-up what appeared to be conflicting information where both sides turned out to be right (hearing from developers the need to "lock" clocks being a feature of the Devkit vs. final HW)

It looks like they have done something super interesting here which I admit I'm still wrapping my head around. Nice to get a little more detail and clarity on some of these points from DF.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

Hope rich spend some time with the SSD talk in the vid since the text part was rather interesting and what it mean for ram management .

Straffaren666

Mar 13, 2018

Ah, sweet memories. In the right hands, like for instance Jesper Kyd's, that Yamaha chip could produce an amazing soundstage. I remember the Mega Drive had two processors, a 68000 and Z80. The Z80 was connected to the Yamaha chip. Looking back it seem unbelievable that the 64K of RAM of the Mega Drive was sufficient.

Last edited:

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017

Both can run at max frequency.
They don't if the instructions are more power intensive.
Cerny gave the example of 256 bit instructions would cause a downclock.