• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Sony chose to make a GPU with 36 compute units, which resulted in clock speeds we've never seen before on a GPU. Sony then chose to go with variable clocks, something no gaming console has ever done before. Cerny made some comments on various topics that left some questions as to how various things were going to work.
The Switch has variable frequency for both CPU and GPU. And it doesn't just switch them between portable and docked mode, but also switches when only in docked mode based on load in certain games. You can look into how this has improved its performance while staying inside thermal/power budget.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reading PS5 threads is becoming increasingly exhausting.
Lots of "questions" about quotes that ignore the second half of statements, lots of tweets from random fanboy accounts, loads and loads of thinly veiled concern trolling. And it's always the exact same group of members every single damn time.

Rather than sit back and enjoy reading a fun discussion about tech, I get to only see shit that's barely fit for gamefaqs forums.

Enough already.
Yeah
Just a little notice. The concern and FUD you are seeing around PS5 news lately is being done on purpose. Some of it is planned in a certain discord.

This thread heading to the dumps is apart of it i presume. There's this sad attempt to make PS5 look like it's going to fail and experience another PS3 generation.

That is all. Bye.

Shuhei Yoshida: "The developers say that developing on PS5 in very easy"

The former president of Sony Interactive Entertainment writes an article in which he makes public the first impressions of the developers on PS5. The next
Yeah..
it's been happening this way for about a year now. Discord discussion before saturating threads with certain topics, or concern trolling etc. These threads can amount to real world headaches when reading at times. I went from participating in every next gen thread to saying very little, or engaging alot less because of the fact you've highlighted. It's become obvious that some who partake of such behavior have no intention of discussion, or wanting to really discuss anything as opposed to making the thread frame certain agenda's discussed on said discord.
Honestly, reminds me an awful lot of the same modus operandi that got Trump to the White House, spread enough half truths, lies and do it in numbers, it becomes the "truth" when you Google it for more information. Mission accomplished.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Something I keep thinking about, which is admittedly a very obvious and basic utilization of the SSDs, is for the next God of War. Imagine being able to open a portal to any other realm at any moment, instantly, and just walk through.

We can finally play as these guys.

M65pb8C.jpg

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
So do we have any info on whether the PS5 support variable refresh rates (not to be confused with VRS)? That is one my most wanted features for the system; it would make unlocked framerates more tolerable as well as help frame drops be more bearable.
PSBlog has this listed:

Support of 4K 120Hz TVs, 8K TVs, VRR (specified by HDMI ver.2.1)

blog.us.playstation.com

Unveiling New Details of PlayStation 5: Hardware Technical Specs [UPDATED]

Watch live for a deep dive into PS5's system architecture and how it will shape the future of games.

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
Thurrott first and now Windows Central, why am I not surprised? Let me get my tinfoil hat
It's strange and sad but I've pointed it out before on this site. Xbox fan[boy]s on here spend more time talking about Playstation than they do Xbox. Whether that's spreading fud about PS5 and Sony or just in general talking about how weak it compares to Xbox Series X. That extends to people who cover Microsoft as well; Brad Sams, Jez, and Warren.

Hell, I can't even think of any legitimate journalists who only cover Sony/PS, let alone Sony/PS journalists that consistently shit on Xbox on whatever platform.

Sorry to get off topic.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
The Switch has variable frequency for both CPU and GPU. And it doesn't just switch them between portable and docked mode, but also switches when only in docked mode based on load in certain games. You can look into how this has improved its performance while staying inside thermal/power budget.
Yes, a portable console the size of a tablet. Also, this is the first time I've ever heard of the Switch changing its clocks mid game. You got a source for that?

DIEHARD

Dec 6, 2019
User banned (2 weeks): concern trolling, account in junior phase
Worse than that, Jez has a history of supporting and going to bat for people who make homophobic and hateful comments, as seen here: https://www.resetera.com/threads/wi...ople-to-follow-homophobic-toxic-gamer.123121/

Jez should be banished to the nether and never spoken of again.

On topic: I'm so glad the DF team got to do this! I haven't quite finished all of the analysis yet but I appreciate the hard work that goes into these kinds of articles.
Censorship and canceling is always good....am I right!! Let the book burning begin! Digital crucifixion hell yes! Damn I love this culture. 😑

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly think it's time now to ban Windows Central, and folks like Tom Warren, Brad Sams and Ryan McCaffrey. Maybe unban them once we know everything or at least can be trusted to not transform into console warriors at any sign of PS5 being a lot more capable than they anticipated. They aren't just out there spreading FUD, they are all thirsty to spread FUD and discredit alternate engineering solutions that perform as desired by developers. They are thirsty for these narratives to take hold, despite all other professionals reporting the opposite. We're past the point of negligence and their behaviour is now what amounts to unabashedly parading around platform warring misinformation as news.

Ryan is a great journalist, why are you going after him? What a awful suggestion, we'd miss out on big scoops like the one we had with Phil, he's a massive and valuable contributor to gaming conversations.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Destiny 2 will instantly load you into Menagerie, and then you'll wait 5 minutes for other 5 people on HDD to load in :p

I think Destiny 2's load times are mostly due to bungie's weird matchmaking.

For me there is little to no difference on between SSD equipped PC and console.

I remember the PS3 version of Destiny 1 being the same for loading as the PS4 too.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Try not to trip, I know it's hard to walk with your pants around your ankles.

Why because I care about digging up the truth about specs and consoles?

www.resetera.com

PS5 and Xbox Series speculation |OT11| Cry Havoc and Let Slip the Dogs of War [NEW NEWS, NEW THREAD - CHECK OUT THE STAFF POST]

https://www.resetera.com/threads/next-gen-ps5-and-next-xbox-speculation-launch-thread-ot8-the-dark-tower-see-staff-post.159131/page-389#post-27823630 Updated predictions for PS5 after talking with folks with far more knowledge of RDNA architecture / GPUs than me in general. 8 core zen 3.2+ ghz...

www.resetera.com

PlayStation: Mark Cerny will provide a deep dive into PS5’s system architecture tomorrow at 9am PT

https://www.resetera.com/threads/next-gen-ps5-and-next-xbox-speculation-launch-thread-ot8-the-dark-tower-see-staff-post.159131/post-27823630 Final prediction: 8 core Zen 2 4.0ghz no SMT, 3.8ghz with SMT 16GB GDDR6 512+GB/s, 2-4GB DDR4. (Questionable) 36CU at 2.2+ghz / 40CU at 2.1ghz, 10+TF...

Or you did rather have me post 13+ TF HBM stuff when I knew those to be false due to years of experience sifting through rumors and leaks?

If my pants are around my ankles, it's because I whipped it out for all to see.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Something I keep thinking about, which is admittedly a very obvious and basic utilization of the SSDs, is for the next God of War. Imagine being able to open a portal to any other realm at any moment, instantly, and just walk through.
Things like this would be so sick. We are gonna get more dimensional kinda of games. That's gonna be so sick. Like not having to go to a single place vs at will to load into a diff realm would be so cool.

Deleted member 24021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Why because I care about digging up the truth about specs and consoles?

www.resetera.com

PS5 and Xbox Series speculation |OT11| Cry Havoc and Let Slip the Dogs of War [NEW NEWS, NEW THREAD - CHECK OUT THE STAFF POST]

https://www.resetera.com/threads/next-gen-ps5-and-next-xbox-speculation-launch-thread-ot8-the-dark-tower-see-staff-post.159131/page-389#post-27823630 Updated predictions for PS5 after talking with folks with far more knowledge of RDNA architecture / GPUs than me in general. 8 core zen 3.2+ ghz...

www.resetera.com

PlayStation: Mark Cerny will provide a deep dive into PS5’s system architecture tomorrow at 9am PT

https://www.resetera.com/threads/next-gen-ps5-and-next-xbox-speculation-launch-thread-ot8-the-dark-tower-see-staff-post.159131/post-27823630 Final prediction: 8 core Zen 2 4.0ghz no SMT, 3.8ghz with SMT 16GB GDDR6 512+GB/s, 2-4GB DDR4. (Questionable) 36CU at 2.2+ghz / 40CU at 2.1ghz, 10+TF...

Or you did rather have me post 13+ TF HBM stuff when I knew those to be false due to years of experience sifting through rumors and leaks?

No, I'd rather have you not post FUD at all. Try contributing instead of posting fanboy garbage. : )

nujabeans

Dec 2, 2017
Yep, off site drama, persecution complex, trolling, "them against us", "team blue". It's bad.

You really only see persecution complex and not seeing what's been happening in PS5 threads? Do you see the opposite happening in XSX threads? No one is even debating that the PS5 is more powerful than the XSX anymore, but it's the same people trying to FUD up and make the PS5 look even worse, that it's completely a disaster.

Even after DF/Cerny said that the PS5 can have both the GPU and CPU run at max frequencies, and that the developers do not have to choose one or the other, someone was even questioning that because Cerny added "potentially" !! They are picking at every single line, trying to find fault or crack in everything.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017

More of basically anything increases a product's cost.
As much as I love that game (Id easily put it in my top 5 of all time), at times the game felt like a chore because of all those "masked" load times and the time it takes to traverse places. So yes, GoW 2 is going to be crazy special with that kind of speed.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Great video. Definitely valuable to have knowledgeable people break down things even if it isn't new information (other than very technical, more granular stuff that most of us can't parse anyways).

And as a personal note I'm glad DF doesn't seem to be as confused about the PS5's BC as a few on here seem to be.

Signa

Mar 26, 2020
So do we have any info on whether the PS5 support variable refresh rates (not to be confused with VRS)? That is one my most wanted features for the system; it would make unlocked framerates more tolerable as well as help frame drops be more bearable.

I don't see why not considering it's part of HDMI 2.1 and a very gaming specific feature.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, a portable console the size of a tablet. Also, this is the first time I've ever heard of the Switch changing its clocks mid game. You got a source for that?
Nice goal post moving, but I'll give you the source. Its been pretty well know in Switch (and homebrew) community and DF has done multiple videos on it.