• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ReggieBC

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These FUD attacks happened during the ps4 launch too on the old forum if I remember correctly

Mar 22, 2020
Dark1x Can you confirm this?
So PS5 variable GPU and CPU speeds means running a very low game or app will make both run at much lower clocks so less risk of overheating when running small games or areas or apps while XSX will run evverything at fixed clocks all the time regardless of the power needed?
Isn't this kinda risky for XSX to run at such heat all the time, even if the cooling system is good enough? This may wear off components much faster.
Here is a great video on chip degradation if you want to know more :
www.youtube.com

Rambling about chip degradation

My Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/buildzoidTeespring: https://teespring.com/stores/actually-hardcore-overclockingThe Twitch:https://www.twitch.tv/buildzoid...
Would there be a difference in degradation for both systems ? Hard to tell, both manufacturer do make sure to run at a temperature that does not throttle clocks for any given workload (MS and Sony both mentioned throttling for power reasons, better use of frequency to the CPU or GPU or else). They also seem to run based on power consumption and activity alone. Except in case where a fan fails, or there an issue somewhere else, there might be a thermal shutdown, but temperature generally won't impact the behavior of the console.
...but really, running full clocks doesn't mean full load. It's not the same as utilization. So it'll have no impact on longevity.
Both chips will be impacted by thermal cycling: the silicon die with the APU and the copper substrate below it should thermally expand at different rates. So over many heating/cooling cycles, connections between the two will be degraded. The bigger the die, the worse the effect. Temperature is a catalyst, but it's unclear if there would be much of a difference between the two here, especially if the power consumption stays constant and the temperature doesn't get very high.

Oxide breakdown is a damage over time to transistors when the voltage is too high and the impact of temperature is high. The impact of temperature is really important here. Since the chip that might run the highest voltage is the PS5 APU, it might be more impacted by oxide breakdown. Only if temperature is high, anyway. This can happen outside of loads if the temperature stays high even though current stays low.

On the other hand, the XSX APU will run lower voltage (but higher voltage for similar clocks), but consume more current, so it should be more subject to degradation through electromigration. But this can happen only during full loads, when a lot of current goes trough the chip.

Keep in mind that even though these chips are more sensitive to voltage and current, and consume more current than previous gen chips, they also consume lower amounts of power and both consoles should use sufficient cooling systems. Both chips also are not overclocked, so if they run at spec they will last their expected lifetime, unless issues we are not aware of arise.

starblue

Oct 28, 2017
I have very few interests on the gaming side of the site but PS5 is one of them. Every PS5 thread descends into garbage and you completely derailed this one.

That's why I deleted the post and I said sorry few times. Can we just stop attacking me and keep driving through the thread ? Thank you ;)

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Sorry, I just meant in the end and overall across their entire libraries, we'll see the PS5 and SX were closer to each other than those other systems.

I just don't want to make a statement like "every single game will be within x% difference" or something, because there are always aberrations. Maybe for some specific engines and designs the PS5 will more than make up it's power deficit with the SX. It's happened with the One and the Pro, however rarely. And maybe for other very specific games the SX will just crush the PS5. Also an edge case, but not completely impossible.
I see. Thanks for this,

I think this would be the best case scenario for the industry as a whole having consoles so close feature and performance wise, as the less work required to support both developers and consumers win alike. Devs by being able to reach more consumers with less efforts and consumers that will have more games to play.

Well MS built a system like most other systems and desktops have always been built, which is tired and true. I certainly don't know for sure what would need to be altered if they adopted a pretty basic design change, but just logically speaking such a system would draw more power and generate a meaningful amount of additional heat. That would require a different cooling and case design, because there is little chance MS built their system as is to allow for that level of tolerance (why would they? It would be a waste). And maybe having that number of CUs running faster would create so much more heat and require so much more power that it's just not practical in a consumer device like this. And maybe that change in heat and power, even if possible, would limit other areas of the system or additional chips or logic that could be part of the SOC.

Or maybe that level of heat or power or complexity would make deploying SX based hardware for xCloud significantly more problematic.

Then we get into the OS side. MS has done amazing work with BC largely because of their software layer. Maybe having a variable design would add an additional level of complication that MS is unwilling to introduce to their ecosystem.

But I think it was just never really a consideration. MS built basically a computer the way you build computers. Sony is just trying something a little different.
Ah ok, I see your point now. Yeah, hard to think it was something they even considered.

Do you know if Sony already experimented with the clocking boost from the start (which would make sense if they were indeed limited to 36cus due BC) or that came over time adjusting to feedback from developers?

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
The same four or five avatars I see in every PS5 thread stirring shit up despite being banned for doing the same in the past. The same fucking Halo avatars too. Sometimes I feel like GAF's way of heavy handed modding was the best approach.

A bunch of halo avatars acting like corporate astroturfers has gone unmodded for a long time in playstation threads. Its pretty disappointing really.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
That's why I deleted the post and I said sorry few times. Can we just stop attacking me and keep driving through the thread ? Thank you ;)

Little late for that. I appreciate the apology, but you should have thought it through before posting, as it turned yet another PS5 thread into a shit show. Now, instead of the interesting technical details of the article this thread is about platform wars, yet again.

EDIT:
A bunch of halo avatars acting like corporate astroturfers has gone unmodded for a long time. Its pretty disappointing really. It is really so obvious.

And even if some of them get banned, it's only for a day or few, after which they return to the same behavior sooner or later. Such little slaps teach nothing to people like that.

starblue

Oct 28, 2017
Little late for that. I appreciate the apology, but you should have thought it through before posting, as it turned yet another PS5 thread into a shit show. Now, instead of the interesting technical details of the article this thread is about platform wars, yet again.

That was not my intention, I can't control what people does. I just asked about if that "technical" issues are true because I thought this thread was about PS5 tech stuff. Next time I will think twice before posting. But seriously, stop quoting me, you guys are make me feel like im worst than trash.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
That was not my intention, I can't control what people does. I just asked about if that "technical" issues are true because I thought this thread was about PS5 tech stuff. Next time I will think twice before posting. But seriously, stop quoting me, you guys are make me feel like im worst than trash.

This thread was about the technical info in the DF article, now it is about fanboy fiction. You can control yourself, as it's obvious what that kind of posts lead to around here.

Soprano

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User banned (1 month): Trolling. Hostility.
Just a little notice. The concern and FUD you are seeing around PS5 news lately is being done on purpose. Some of it is planned in a certain discord.

This thread heading to the dumps is apart of it i presume. There's this sad attempt to make PS5 look like it's going to fail and experience another PS3 generation.

That is all. Bye.

From what I see Sony removed all bottleneck from the system.

Shuhei Yoshida: "The developers say that developing on PS5 in very easy"

The former president of Sony Interactive Entertainment writes an article in which he makes public the first impressions of the developers on PS5. The next

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Just a little notice. The concern and FUD you are seeing around PS5 news lately is being done on purpose. Some of it is planned in a certain discord.

This thread heading to the dumps is apart of it i presume. There's this sad attempt to make PS5 look like it's going to fail and experience another PS3 generation.

That is all. Bye.

Interesting. It would be nice to know who around here and elsewhere are on the Discord channel.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Nice video by df. 👍

That is all. Bye.

The former president of Sony Interactive Entertainment writes an article in which he makes public the first impressions of the developers on PS5. The next
Yikes if thats true. It wouldn't be surprising though.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands

I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's not your post that started the derailment of the thread. There were already a bunch of the usual suspects concern trolling in here even before you posted.

Deleted member 24021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

That is all. Bye.

They're like a congregation which I find hilarious.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 week): accusations of shilling, platform warring
I remember last gen ms had shills spreading fud about ps4 and trying to downplay the drm fiasco. Would not suprise me one bit if they were at it again, i mean their top executives associate themselves with some deranged fanboys. You would not see jim ryan or hermen do the same thing again, they would run the other way.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
As far as I know, it's always been part of the plan.
I always found the last minute OC claim odd. It might look like just 230Mhz jump from 2Ghz, but those last 230Mhz are hardest to hit. There would have to be fundamental shift in design, cooling and power to get to that stable OC.

Deleted member 24021

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I always found the last minute OC claim odd. It might look like just 230Mhz jump from 2Ghz, but those last 230Mhz are hardest to hit. There would have to be fundamental shift in design, cooling and power to get to that stable OC.

If I remember correctly (I could be wrong so please correct me if I am) the PS4 was originally going to have 4GB GDDR5 but they added in an extra 4GB last minute. This could be a similar situation.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I'm not even on discord and have been accused of being some Xbox fanboy concern troll here because.. well. I had concerns. I don't see how making wide sweeping accusations is at all helpful here; if there are trolls and you know they organize on discord call them out. Making sweeping statements like that basically just makes everyone who isn't a troll not want to engage in any conversations here.

Deleted member 24021

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm not even on discord and have been accused of being some Xbox fanboy concern troll here because.. well. I had concerns. I don't see how making wide sweeping accusations is at all helpful here; if there are trolls and you know they organize on discord call them out. Making sweeping statements like that basically just makes everyone who isn't a troll not want to engage in any conversations here.

If it has nothing to do with you then why comment on it like you seem offended? That makes you look more suspicious.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
If I remember correctly (I could be wrong so please correct me if I am) the PS4 was originally going to have 4GB GDDR5 but they added in an extra 4GB last minute. This could be a similar situation.
Not last minute but yeah, it changed from 4GB in devkits to 8GB in retail. RAM changing from early devkits to retail is not uncommon, 360 added 256MB more memory on Epic's request, PS3 was going to be all CELL 256MB machine but later added Nvidia GPU with 256MB memory, XB1 added eSRAM (aka secret sauce) to assist with DDR3 memory etc.

Greysif

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah I agree with this.

If there is really any proof of this happening then show it so it can be handled by the mods. Because of a few bad apples it does not mean everybody is a troll.

Deleted member 24021

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Because it makes me not want to comment here?

Your post being a prime example of exactly what makes me not want to talk videogames here lol

You can talk about games all you want, I'm not attacking you. It just seems strange that you're defending the people that derail these threads, and they've done the same thing in plenty of past threads.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Man I just want to see what this SSD can do y'all.

Fucking Destiny 2 with instant load times!!!!

angel_deamon

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
The PS5 will be 60% smaller (compared to the the xsx) and only 10-14% less powerful.

Dec 8, 2018

That is all. Bye.

Well I am not surprised if that is the case it's been thread after thread regarding PS5 littered with concern trolling it's getting ridiculous.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
You can talk about games all you want, I'm not attacking you. It just seems strange that you're defending the people that derail these threads, and they've done the same thing in plenty of past threads.
I did not remotely defend any of those people. I said call them out directly because vague accusations just make everyone in the thread who wasn't 100% gung ho pro-Sony feel on edge and accused. Or report the shit to moderators maybe? It serves little purpose in a thread like this. It's not going to stop concern trolls unless you actually get moderators to do something.

Oct 25, 2017
What self respecting journalist would post a tweet of a comment in a thread and ask if it is legit or not? You're gonna tell me right now that dude wasn't trying to start shit, really?

Munstre

Mar 7, 2020

That is all. Bye.
I have been seeing some examples of what seems like coordinated mass anti-PS5 posts in comments sections under youtube videos that praise PS5 in any way. And they all seem to follow similar phrasing and misinformation buzzwords, and each post has a ton of thumbs ups, out of proportion to any other comments. Maybe I'm just seeing things, but it does feel like some kind of trolling effort is going on.

Deleted member 24021

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I did not remotely defend any of those people. I said call them out directly because vague accusations just make everyone in the thread who wasn't 100% gung ho pro-Sony feel on edge and accused.

There's a major difference between asking questions and concern trolling. You can ask about the PS5 all you want like I did in my initial post in this thread, but the "EVERY SSD IN THE PAST THROTTLES SO THE PS5 SSD WILL TOO" garbage posts aren't needed. We don't know how the PS5 cooling system is designed until Sony releases the teardown video.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
You'd think being able to boast that you have the strongest console out the gate and likely have the best third party games would be enough to sate console warriors' thirst. But that's apparently not enough. Got to enter threads on "the enemy" and pepper it with FUD, concern trolling, downplaying, fanboy drivel from Twitter or comment sections, and obtuseness.