• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No idea of his source but Daniel is trusted MS insider similar to Tom.

Which harms his credibility in this case...Windows Central is pretty partisan. There is nothing in there but conjecture and a narrative which of course leads to a sping which casts MS in an advantageous light. I given that Sony are also developing on 7nm enhanced with RDN2 and RT, I don't see how the XSX is surprising. It is a rather predictable design on that basis, particularly if they are willing to target a slightly higher RRP given they have a lower spec model in the pipeline.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Really smart design can't wait. My PS4 is a jet engine in some games so I expect PS5 to be a lot better in that regard.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
A whole lot of FUD.

Cerny even mentioned a teardown video is coming, so they've already nailed down the cooling solution and form-factor.

Deleted member 29857

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Not buying all the doom and gloom messages, but I sure am interested in how much they've invested to cool this thing.

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018

You just ruined the tread. First off, who is the guy with the dev friends? How are we to know it isn't nonsense? I know Rubino isn't a peddler of nonsense but who is the guy writing to begin with? Sounds like nonsense. Devs have said really nice things about PS5. If the comment is true (probably not) is it only in relation to Series X? What I mean is that PS5 can still be an amazing machine even if Series X is a much better.L solution. They both seem amazing to me even if one is better in many ways.

lukeskymac

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So am I correct in assuming PS5 Teraflops are weaker because they have less compute units?
If you're talking about Richard's experiment: using "X's TFLOPs are stronger than Y's" is never correct in the first place. Teraflops are Teraflops.

Now about the notion that his test indicates that the same thing will happen to PS5 vs XSX - there is no way to tell right now. 36 vs 40 CUs isn't the same as 36 vs 54 CUs. In his test it was clear that the game could easily saturate all 40 CUs of the XT - but it doesn't necessarily follow that the same would happen to 54 CUs. This is already something that happens with Turing, for example. We also don't know what effect (if any) the minor differences between RDNA and RDNA 2 will have.

Does not change that Daniel and Tom are both trusted insiders with legit sources. Tom has heard similar things as well.

Are you really going to ignore the "Microsoft-oriented" bit like it makes no difference?

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
A whole lot of FUD.

Cerny even mentioned a teardown video is coming, so they've already nailed down the cooling solution and form-factor.

It's going to be glorious. Hopefully the controller has a screen in it (fingers crossed).

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Which harms his credibility in this case...Windows Central is pretty partisan. They pretty much do MS PR
And was dead on with all their leaked info, just because a site has MS in the name doesnt mean they might not have legit sources, which most recently with XSX was proven right and given props by DF.

starblue

Oct 28, 2017
You just ruined the tread. First off, who is the guy with the dev friends? How are we to know it isn't nonsense? I know Rubino isn't a peddler of nonsense but who is the guy writing to begin with? Sounds like nonsense. Devs have said really nice things about PS5. If the comment is true (probably not) is it only in relation to Series X? What I mean is that PS5 can still be an amazing machine even if Series X is a much better.L solution. They both seem amazing to me even if one is better in many ways.

Ruined ? Im sorry to hear that and Im going to delete my post, but I don't know where to post this, it deserves a new thread ?

Druida

Nov 22, 2017
You do realise PS5 has an accelerator engine inside the GPU called the Geometry Engine which, according to a dev, VRS 'doesn't hold a candle to'? It seems this is potentially much more performant than VRS which is only a general RDNA2 feature.

That is part of the architecture in common.
2acaceff-ff7a-4d53-91ee-2cd71d23fd7e.PNG

No_Style

Oct 26, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
I love how that rumor about resting on laurels is also hinting at PS5 Pro in 2 years time as well. That would be a whole year earlier than than PlayStation 4 -> PlayStation 4 Pro gap. Crazy.

Jayembi

Jun 19, 2019
In these PS5 threads the "concerns" always come from the same people. I find it funny and it gives me a little tenderness at the same time.
I'm very excited for what is to come!

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not really, anytime anyone says anything negative or not glowing about either console they're attacked for it. No point in doing that. I saw this story a few hours ago but didn't post it because I knew the people who shared the information would be attacked and it's happening right now.

At least be a bit reflective. Pot calling the kettle black on all that.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Let me put it another way:

That post is, as far as I'm aware, not an accurate reflection of the current situation. If not completely made up by the OP, it's based on perhaps a kernel of truth (the system puts out a lot of heat and of course that is a challenging engineering problem, and consoles usually are finished just in time to launch) blown up into hyperbolic nonsense.

Last edited:

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Great work from DF. Very much enjoyed the video and the article. I have fewer concerns about the variable clocks now. My only remaining questions are if PS5 has enough bandwidth ( I think 512gb/s would have been a better fit for its power profile) and what it's RT performance is like. We don't know much about AMD's solution and how it scales yet so that's hard to really form conclusions on but if it scales with CUs that could be a much larger advantage for Series X than anything on paper.

Otakukidd

The cutest v-tuber
Oct 25, 2017
Why is it always windows reporters are the ones that keep hearing about all the problems with a sony box.... from everyone else and devs themselves we dont hear anythibg close to problems like this

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Whole lot of "just asking questions" and "concerns" in these PS5 threads lately.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
Ignore list approaching max levels.

That said, the more gloom and doom I read from "insiders" (lol) the more excited for PS5 I become.

If you have to do this much fear-mongering, concern trolling and flat-out lying, you've clearly got something to be afraid of.

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
And was dead on with all their leaked info, just because a site has MS in the name doesnt mean they might not have legit sources, which most recently with XSX was proven right and given props by DF.

It makes them not very credible when they are commenting on other platforms, at least this stage of the game. They represent a side. Not that most journalists are necessarily neutral, but these guys are part of the informal MS ecosystem, just as there are people affiliated with other platforms in a like manner. I also don't think they are particular great journalists, commenting on low quality conjecture like this, but that is another matter.

No_Style

Oct 26, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
Why would you starblue, bring that trash into this thread? This was about the DF interview but then you had to throw a bomb into the crowd.

I was going to report it for removal and clean up but alas, this fire has run rampant.

Anyways, even though these articles provide the audience with useful insights to console technology, it's clear that it requires a level of precision communication that all parties aren't equipped to do without becoming way too technical.

People are confusing concepts like frequencies vs workloads. What "Boost" mode means in the Sony context vs AMD vs Intel etc. Hell, AnandTech dedicated an entire article over the kerfuffle between Intel vs AMD turbo boost functionality and what they mean.

Last edited:

nujabeans

Dec 2, 2017
Let me put it another way:

That post is, as far as I'm aware, not an accurate reflection of the current situation. It's based on perhaps a kernel of truth (the system puts out a lot of heat and of course that is a challenging engineering problem, and consoles usually are finished just in time to launch) blown up into hyperbolic nonsense.

You're not in the WindowsCentral/Thurott circle of informed insiders, so you probably don't have the right sources anyway.

/s