• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
How they gonna cool this thing at max speed is beyond me. Makes me really wonder and afraid.
They seem confident in that
One of the areas I was particularly interested to talk about was the boost clock of the PlayStation 5 - an innovation that essentially gives the system on chip a set power budget based on the thermal dissipation of the cooling assembly. Interestingly, in his presentation, Mark Cerny acknowledged the difficulties of cooling PlayStation 4 and suggested that having a maximum power budget actually made the job easier. "Because there are no more unknowns, there's no need to guess what power consumption the worst case game might have," Cerny said in his talk. "As for the details of the cooling solution, we're saving them for our teardown, I think you'll be quite happy with what the engineering team came up with."

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Exactly. And based on github we know their custom chip (E0) has seen a surprising number of iterations (min 5), allegedly in order to sustain the clocks and probably to scale with those clocks. Testing RDNA1 scaling is interesting, but those tests are probably totally useless if one wants to guess PS5 APU (custom RDNA2) performance.

But that kind of comparisons are certainly going to fuel the console wars debate.
Cerny said they had to customize Zen 2 cores for BC. That could be behind some of the changes.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Has Sony clarified the different modes for BC? Are the PS4 and PS4 Pro Legacy modes designed to support all PS4 and PS4 Pro games day 1? When they mention "testing PS4 games" are they referring to PS5 Native mode only? If so, has Sony clearly stated this? I feel like the different modes have really muddied up the messaging. When MS talks about BC they don't talk about modes do they? From what I gather they are basically saying old games will work and most titles will benefit from the extra power.

The only thing I'm clear on with PS5 is "We believe that the overwhelming majority of the 4,000+ PS4 titles will be playable on PS5." That statement is plenty good enough for me to believe they are taking BC with PS4 seriously.
I watched the full Cerny talk the other night and to me it seemed pretty clear if you listen to what he says that PS5 has legacy modes for base PS4 and Pro and can run those games in the native modes just fine, out of the box. The contention seemed to come from the next part which was specifically about the equivalent "Boost Mode" where some titles may run into issues, just as some titles didn't run well on the Pro in boost mode, and how there may need to be updating or specific titles to work properly in boost mode. But ultimately the PS5 can replicate running as a base PS4 or Pro just fine. People then wilfully misconstrued the entire segment and his wording and came up with totally different takes that made it sound like compatibility was on a title by title basis and not that many games.

Deleted member 24021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So the PS5 can run the CPU and GPU at the max frequencies all the time, but devs can choose to dial back the frequency for games that aren't demanding so it's not running at full blast all the time (also for main menus, pause screens, map screens, etc). Am I correct?

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
So the PS5 can run the CPU and GPU at the max frequencies all the time, but devs can choose to dial back the frequency for games that aren't demanding so it's not running at full blast all the time (also for main menus, pause screens, map screens, etc). Am I correct?
i really want you all to stop using all the time (100%) etc as something for these systems. It can give the power required when the game calls for it, and it can use either or depending on the situation. "all the time" is not a thing in any system.
(not trying to attack you for it but this is just a general annoyance)

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
It has BC so no need to announce anything new. Just play upgraded PS4 games. Its gonna be awsome I tell you!!!!
joke
You joke but it is a little weird that we're in April and the only thing we know about both consoles' ability to play games is that they'll play previous generation games better.

Deleted member 24021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
i really want you all all to stop using all the time (100%) etc as something for these systems. It can give the power required when the game calls for it, and it can use either or depending on the situation. "all the time" is not a thing in any system.

Thank you, I'm trying to learn how these these things work. I've always had a basic idea but I'd rather learn than play armchair developer.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
From what I understand, it's not about unneeded clocks but about the complexity of the instructions that the GPU is trying to process (and it's not necessarily dependent on clocks or TF numbers). Basically, it's all about power draw and you can have two scenarios were the frequencies are the same but power draw isn't. So, you can have a scenario where both the CPU and the GPU run at Max speeds but power draw is lower than another scenario where the CPU runs at a lower frequency simply because what the GPU is trying to process is "complex".

In the end, what it means is that developers are limited by the power draw and not clocks. If they want higher clocks they can have them as long as power draw isn't affected. If it is, then they'll have to lower sth (usually the cpu).

Another example of what I'm trying to say is that in theory menus, maps etc actually have higher chances running at max frequencies than more complex scenes.

Sony is basically trying to ensure very high GPU frequencies without the need of a super expensive cooling solution. If the GPU frequency was locked at 2.23 then they'd need an expensive cooling solution to cover all potential scenarios (complex GPU instructions, high ambient temperature etc). So instead of investing on an expensive cooling solution that's only really needed on 1% of potential scenarios they decided to spend on a cooling solution that caters for the 99% of scenarios and eliminate the residual 1% completely by forced throttling. They just try to make this scenario as easy on the developers as possible by providing as many tools as possible.

Last edited:

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
So am I correct in assuming PS5 Teraflops are weaker because they have less compute units?

lukeskymac

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
No. Clocks may or may not reach max speeds, but they always do so consistently. Dev kits have options to force one clock lower so they can assume the other part will always maintain max clock, but in reality that downclocked part won't drop as much because speeds are decided by the hardware at the moment the game is running.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Thank you, I'm trying to learn how these these things work. I've always had a basic idea but I'd rather learn than play armchair developer.
yeah and not to attack you on the language but even something as efficient as the sun can have some vary in its power depending on variables. But its pretty much as long as the power draw doesnt exceed their threshold they can run as much as a scene calls for, or swap things around where a scene maybe more CPU or GPU and one side needs more power to process than the other. It all depends on whats happening on screen and games are optimized to allow for the best performance they can get for the budget they have which is now based on a power budget and not a temperature budget for the hardware thats given.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): trolling, platform warring, prior bans for the same
Do you have any sources?

Do you think the retail kit, which is only known to Sony, is easy to leak? Come on man.

No but I saw a few journalists corroborate that they have heard similar.

I don't want to post them because they'll probably be attacked over it.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I'll just say this:
if PS5 really had overheat and thus yield/fail issues, it would have been noted in the Bloomberg BoM article.

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy

Daniel Rubino is legit as it was Tom Warren saying the same things a couple of weeks ago.

I can understand the perplexity around "that" user in The Verge comment sections (which basically said also the same things), but leaks and rumors are actually consolidating in a bad trend for PS5 launch and gen in general.

Let's all wait and see what happens next.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Not really, anytime anyone says anything negative or not glowing about either console they're attacked for it. No point in doing that. I saw this story a few hours ago but didn't post it because I knew the people who shared the information would be attacked and it's happening right now.