• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Domcorleone

Oct 26, 2017
Would love to know your day one BC numbers for PS5 that you've gleaned from their info. Very simple, how many games on launch have Sony said we can play?

Day 1?

yes. It's 100 titles that will benefit from the new GPU and CPU that Cerny was original referring to. Thousands of ps4 games will be playable without getting the visual BC boost

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
There's a dictionary definition for 'potentially'. We both know it. If you don't, it's a quick Google search away. I consider your question to be trollish in nature.

The issue some are having is that others are completely missing the context of the discussion and focusing solely on one or two words. That's disingenuous.

You have been consistently wrong in understanding and reading tech and the market for 2 decades now, why do you think you understand it now?

What is this post?

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
Lots of people have refused to acknowledge that throttling will be required for developers to do, in this very thread.
I haven't seen a single person refuse to acknowledge that.

Several are acknowledging that it is possible for the clocks to be at their peak for sustained times.

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
We need a next-gen speculative fiction/conspiracy theory thread where the majority of concern trolling can all be wrapped up into one large, depraved bow.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
The model SOC sounds almost like a 'virtual' SOC that the physical SOC has to adhere to. I wonder if this model SOC setup would make BC easier in future generations?

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
They literally had trash in their ram pool. That's just poetic. Crazy how valuable the SSD will be. Be it an items that is used once or 800 times, it doesn't matter, the SSD will just grab it when you need it. No caching, no duplication no careful RAM management for this nonsense.

Yeah, those talking about why the video didn't go more in on the SSD, please read the article. Some interesting stuff in there.
Yes. The games they spoke of being ~100 were the ones that were getting PS5 enhancements.

It seems the more clearer it gets, the more some ppl can't seem to comprehend it.
I think people are way too caught up on games requiring absolute maxes for both CPU and GPU. Games just don't operate like that:

Does such a hypothetical game exists? Maybe. But if anyone wants to absolutely max their GPUs and CPUs on PCs, they're using specialized software/applications like benchmarking tools or stuff like Furmark.

I like how that part also mentions the console shutting down because of thermals. Someone in one of the other PS5 threads said the exact same thing.

I think some ppl are just focused on worse case scenarios. Don't be.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
It's not thousands on day one though, the gymnastics should've made that clear, which isn't the case for competition.

Xbox SX ~ 2k+
PS5 ~ 100+
Nice to see your still going at it, go get 'em!
"...the overwhelming majority of the 4,000+ PS4 titles will be playable on PS5."

blog.us.playstation.com

Unveiling New Details of PlayStation 5: Hardware Technical Specs [UPDATED]

Watch live for a deep dive into PS5's system architecture and how it will shape the future of games.

This has been clarified, discussed, and re-clarified to death already.
I'm pretty sure it was confirmed as being in the thousands - basically every PS4 game to some extent.
Still clear as mud..... cool !

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I agree. But the Tempest CU doesn't have any caches. So they need to write everything on the ram. On the other hand GPU CUs have plenty of cache to work. They don't need to write and read all their job on the main bandwidth, like the CPUs.
Yes, which is why it's a theoretical upper limit. Talk of more bandwidth than that has no technical justification.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
The issue some are having is that others are completely missing the context of the discussion and focusing solely on one or two words. That's disingenuous.

There's nothing inherently wrong about discussing keywords. he did use the word 'potentially' and that caught the eye.

Check my post history if you will. I've never made comments about throttling or whatever before.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Talked about this some time back, and I was told that this is RDNA2, so the scaling may be better. This goes against everything that we have seen in PC for years.
Actually I think it makes sense based on how gpus are transitioning. We are seeing with each iteration less depency on the fixed pipeline so assuming graphics data scales very well to the number of CUs, and that the gpu is designed around the number of CUs (with that I mean cache, roos, number of rasterizers etc) it makes sense to start see the number of CUs making performance increase as thread distribution improves.

Specially as more and more workloads are handled by the cu and are async to the graphics pipeline. Having a larger pool of CUs and thus more blank spots where async compute can execute.

And compared to this generation rdna 2 sees the geometry pipeline make the jump and be more compute based. We also have now machine learning and raytracing workloads all fighting for the same execution units, so that's 3 more workloads that will benefit more from a big array of processors to be distributed on than having faster units that have to execute them more linearly

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Well I think under this model, it would definitely make sense to use a dynamic resolution.

In the case where they were using a development profile that locked the gpu at a rate lower than 2.23Ghz, if they're using dynamic resolution, that resolution might sometimes be better on the dynamic clocks than on the fixed debug clocks. Which would be a 'pleasant surprise'.

I think it would be interesting to know, though, what the performance guarantees are or aren't wrt the debug locked frequencies. If it's the case that the dynamic performance is guaranteed to be at least as good or better, then I can see how that would be very appealing for a lot of situations, to work against the profile that most closely fits your bounds, and then reap any extra performance (or resolution, in a dynamic res situation) when you take the stabilizers off, so to speak.
I have to say that I really appreciate your posts in these types of threads. It really helps make sense out of this stuff.

Sep 12, 2018
Do you want to point out where I'm wrong in my post, or do you want to ad hominem?

You have consistently shown on this forum and especially the one that shall not be named that you lack a basic understanding of how tech and bizz works datinbg as far back as the PS2 so I reiterate my question. Why do you think you are qualified to authoratively talk about it now?

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
They said up to 22%! Disabling it at a system level, I don't think so. On a game by game basis, it's more likely. It's just a piece of hardware that developers will use however they see fit for their game. In some games audio is more important than in others, cf. Hellblade.

I think there is nothing to worry about here. Of course the game will be tested on retail PS5 mode. But maybe if you are a game dev and are in the process of optimising your game, you might want to have a fixed clock just to see for instance if you can render an area of the game with sufficient fps even in the best of cases. If not you would tone down on the graphics, if yes you would switch to retail PS5 mode and optimize further if for instance a too heavy CPU usage is causing the GPU to throttle. Something like that. It's just a tool to make some tests at fixed frequencies, but of course the whole game will not be developed like that and the retail mode will be tested properly.

But it also means that the devkit can support much higher power usage than the retail console. It's not so surprising of course but the retail consoles will likely be much smaller than the leaked pictures of the devkit we saw.
i'm a noob but doesn't 22% just for the audio seems a little bit too much?
i mean we know that majority of people doesn't give a rat's ass about 3d audio...

alstrike

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
Yes, I heard the explanation given. We'll have to wait and see on that, won't we.

All I know is this. The PS5 spec story sure feels convoluted and messy, and I can't see any way to spin this as a positive for developers working on this stuff. I'm going to bet not a single developer told Cerny they wanted variable clocks.

It's been clear to me since the deep dive presentation. But for users like you I wonder why that is...

Sklaary

Mar 21, 2020
Does this new paradigm makes the life of devs easier or harder in the long therm? 3rd party devs must scream cz they have to rethink their whole code for PS5 or?

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
There's nothing inherently wrong about discussing keywords. he did use the word 'potentially' and that caught the eye.

Check my post history if you will. I've never made comments about throttling or whatever before.

There is something inherently wrong with consistently misstating or ignoring context in order to promote a narrative. To be clear, I'm not claiming you are doing this, but other people in this thread are. And it is frustrating to read. The same points are discussed ad nauseum because some have it in their minds what is happening and no informed opinions from others will change their minds.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Yes, I heard the explanation given. We'll have to wait and see on that, won't we.

All I know is this. The PS5 spec story sure feels convoluted and messy, and I can't see any way to spin this as a positive for developers working on this stuff. I'm going to bet not a single developer told Cerny they wanted variable clocks.
So you are looking at it backwards.

Any developer (including Sony) would ideally prefer the maximum possible GPU and CPU chip performance set at all times.

But that's simply not possible. You just are not able to reach these high clock speeds all the time under every possible workload.

The PS5 is designed to take advantage of the fact that variable performance allows the system to reach a higher performance level than it would if the same hardware had to conform to stable clocks. Stable clocks inevitably leave some performance on the table that the hardware would otherwise be able to achieve with more flexibility.

So, for example, if the SX could magically adopt this variable system with all other specs remaining the same, that would produce a stronger system in the end than the SX is now, not a weaker one. But I say "magically" because that's not possible, there would be trade offs for MS to do this that they did not want to make.

chipperrip

Jan 29, 2019
If they're picking a profile that locks the GPU frequency on dev kits, it's probably because they're GPU bound. I.e. GPU frametime >> CPU frametime. In which case the lower clocked CPU presumably doesn't show up in the framerate.

If it did, you'd be CPU bound, and would presumably pick a different profile that gives a bit more back to the CPU.

This is likely the case, given that games are dominated by GPU needs. It will be interesting to see how long it will take developers to utilize 8 standard CPU cores to a reasonable degree, now that consoles have them.

Certainly in the cross gen period I don't expect CPU power consumption to be anywhere near max. With that in mind I can see the GPU being allocated enough power to reach 2.23GHz for the foreseeable future.

I thought they mentioned the devs were mostly throttling the cpu because of crossgen and the crappy cpu in current gen consoles.

I could be wrong though.

That is for backwards compatibility in the cases where they can't guarantee stable game behavior above PS4 spec.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I thought they mentioned the devs were mostly throttling the cpu because of crossgen and the crappy cpu in current gen consoles.

I could be wrong though.
Yeah right now developers are throttling the cpu to have the full 10.3 tflops on gpu constantly.

And since Zen 2 are much better than jaguar even though they are underclocked they can still reach 60fps with easy.

However, it seems that currently is not possible to have the cpu and gpu at their max clocks at the same time. You have to chose one or the other.

With the dynamic profile in place you could by Cerny claims have a scenario that is close to the max on both simultaneously, but how that is actually presented in practice remains to be seen.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So you are looking at it backwards.

Any developer (including Sony) would ideally prefer the maximum possible GPU and CPU chip performance set at all times.

But that's simply not possible. You just are not able to reach these high clock speeds all the time under every possible workload.

The PS5 is designed to take advantage of the fact that variable performance allows the system to reach a higher performance level than it would if the same hardware had to conform to stable clocks. Stable clocks inevitably leave some performance on the table that hardware would otherwise be able to achieve with more flexibility.

So, for example, if the SX could magically adopt this variable system with all other specs remaining the same, that would produce a stronger system in the end than the SX is now, not a weaker one. But I say "magically" because that's not possible, there would be trade offs for MS to do this that they did not want to make.

What are the tradeoffs? I'm trying to understand what the cons are of variable clocks. I have never heard of variable clocks before so I'm curious why it isn't common if the benefits are as you explained.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
You have consistently shown on this forum and especially the one that shall not be named that you lack a basic understanding of how tech and bizz works datinbg as far back as the PS2 so I reiterate my question. Why do you think you are qualified to authoratively talk about it now?

Why do you think you're qualified to judge what I'm saying when you won't address it?

If you're not happy with my contribution, you can add me to your ignore list. I'm as qualified or entitled as anyone to share my opinion or understanding of things. As entitled to correction also, which you're failing to provide.

I think I know who you are, from all those 'old places'. We rarely agreed and that's fine. If you wish to be hostile though, just do us both a favour and add me to your ignore list, and I'll do the same.

Oct 27, 2017
The difference in gpu raw power in the PS5 vs XSX case is 16.5%, PS4 Pro to XBX is 42.8%. So the gap is very small compared to the mid-gen refresh consoles.
No the difference between the Pro and the X is bigger than the difference between the Series X and the PS5 based on the numbers we have. You stated them to be about equal which is why I disagreed.
nope it's less
xox has 1.42x faster gpu than ps4pro, cpu 1.08x faster and 12gb ram vs 8
xsx ~1.2x > ps5, cpu with ht xsx 1.03x faster, on the other hand ps5 has 2x faster ssd

Thanks guys. Both are monsters. Glad we have great CPUs now. The Jaguar was horrible.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
I guess the difference between Xbox 4 and PS5 is like Xbox One X to PS4 Pro. Not big but noticeable.
Not even close. The difference between them is the smallest between two same-gen consoles ever. If we also take diminishing returns into account, then the only differences might be in the game design (due to the SSD differences).

Jimbobsmells

Nov 17, 2017
I really want to see some stuff on the OS, specifically something like that suspend feature for multiple games that MS showed off. How quick is the console to boot etc.
All this talk of incremental differences in specs between the consoles is great and all, but the experience using it will really be key for consumers.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Im just happy both consoles are great this time around. Hopefully both knock it out the park when it comes to games and price

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I really want to see some stuff on the OS, specifically something like that suspend feature for multiple games that MS showed off. How quick is the console to boot etc.
All this talk of incremental differences in specs between the consoles is great and all, but the experience using it will really be key for consumers.
According to Cerny's presentation, the target is roughly 1 second for any game booting, so i doubt it will be much more than that for console bootup.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
nope it's less
xox has 1.42x faster gpu than ps4pro, cpu 1.08x faster and 12gb ram vs 8
xsx ~1.2x > ps5, cpu with ht xsx 1.03x faster, on the other hand ps5 has 2x faster ssd
DF makes a point that increasing the clock without increasing bandwidth limits the performance gains, and as they show, for a rdan1 gpu with same amount of CUs and BW than ps5 at 1.9ghz you already start seeing the gains being disproportional (they increase 200mhz from 1.7 to 1. 9 and saw twice the performance gain than going from 1.9 to 2.1).

With the large bandwidth gap it's hard to tell where the performance gap of these machines are going to be and for what workloads. (kinda like in some games X can blast through the 40% difference due the higher bandwidth).

But I do think it is not sounding to be as drastic as X to Pro

Sep 12, 2018
User warned: antagonizing another member over a series of posts
Why do you think you're qualified to judge what I'm saying when you won't address it?

If you're not happy with my contribution, you can add me to your ignore list. I'm as qualified or entitled as anyone to share my opinion or understanding of things. As entitled to correction also, which you're failing to provide.

I think I know who you are, from all those 'old places'. We rarely agreed and that's fine. If you wish to be hostile though, just do us both a favour and add me to your ignore list, and I'll do the same.

I asked you a simple question, after being wrong for two decades reading tech and the market why do you believe you are right this time?

Everything else is just hubris.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
Actually, with the speed of the SSD, I don't see a reason for not having more than two games suspended at once other than SSD space since the feature will require some amount that's not accessible by the user.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
What are the tradeoffs? I'm trying to understand what the cons are of variable clocks. I have never heard of variable clocks before so I'm curious why it isn't common if the benefits are as you explained.
You need to have a much more robust cooling system, an overall design that is able to take advantage of the highest speed when available but also not suffer when clocks are running lower, be willing to factor total power draw into your game design if you want to achieve the best possible results, etc.

Last edited:

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
The real question is Sony's definition of "typical workload" for the next generation.

A light workload, such as the OS, some indie games, etc.. should be able to keep the clocks boosted at max indefinetly.

A max workload (think next gen Crysis) will have one, if not both clocks scale back, but we don't know by how much (they should have a fixed floor).

Where does Typical fit between those two? Obviously Sony won't say and only time will tell. But if you go by other electronic companies that have done boost clocks, its typically not both at max clocks when you hit the real world.

I think the only question I would have is how much it could truly scale back to under a max workload, and DF tried to get that answer, but Sony won't answer which is unfortunate but expected.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
I read the article, and while it is great and in-depth on the technical side, I'm getting PS3 vibes. All of these exotic engines and magical hardware (ssd). It's sounding more and more like the run up to the PS3 launch, tbh. Cell was unique but nobody bothered to take advantage of it, really, outside of Sony's internal studios.

I walked away from that article asking when are they going to *actually* show this magical SSD configuration outside of Spiderman city blocks. They've been hyping it and hyping it all the way back to the Wired article.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You needs to have a much more robust cooling system, an overall design that is able to take advantage of the highest speed when available but also not suffer when clocks are running lower, be willing to factor total power draw into your game design if you want to achieve the best possible results, etc.

Okay, thanks.