• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BitterFig

Oct 30, 2017
I thought the testing done on different CU/Clock configurations at the same compute level was interesting.

Since Mark Cerny's PS5 talk there's be much discussion on Era about how "narrow but fast" was potentially more performant that "wide and slow." His example being 36CU at 1GHz may be faster than 48 CU at 750MHz, with both being 4.6TF

DF provided a very limited glimpse into how these configurations may play out in practice (12min 53sec). It's only one game, and one configuration, and I expect the results will vary on a game by game, engine by engine basis. The gist though was that in Hitman 2 the 5700 XT (40CU at 1890MHz, 9.67TF) was about 2.5% faster than a 5700 (36CU at 2100MHz, 9.67MHz) - with all other components in the system being the same. It will be interesting to see how results play out on more games.
Yeah I also thought this was a very interesting test. Wonder if someone more technical than me could interpret the results.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Variable clocks do not seem ideal and based on what the article says some devs are going to have to pick and choose.

Obviously we will have to wait and see with the game.
Don't forget

"The fixed profiles that devs are talking about are only used in ps5 dev kits and in retail games their code will tap into the variable clocks for extra performance "

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
You should probably shut down the unmotivated hostility. The fact that both CPU and GPU couldn't hit their max frequencies together was a much speculated point.
Where is the console war?
I'm going to report your post.

I don't think this was addressed at you, I read it that way: "[He] shut down that console war crap argument pretty quickly."

That's my point he's claiming, theorizing. Just say we have a system that can do x and be done with it. Using peaks that aren't possible to be operating simultaneously is just causing confusion. Their plan is to confuse until release, giving hope to fans there is some secret sauce to make up a performance gap.

He literally said AGAIN that both frequencies can be reached simultaneously, after he previously explained this already in his talk. There is absolutely no confusion. Are you trolling?

Read the article and watch the video. There's much more to it than that.

Nope, this is how PS5 retail consoles will work. It's in the video.

Brocky120

Banned
Feb 6, 2020
Napkin maths: Assuming you're using the compression and can sustain 9Gb/sec, and that decompression is instant (not true, even for dedicated hardware), you're looking at 90Mb for a 10ms burst. The PS5's SSD is fast, but not that fast.

90Mb/s in 1/100th of a second is ridiculous. That is near instant you wouldn't even notice a delay....

Klaw

Nov 16, 2017
France
Well, I still don't really see the point of variable clocks, unless it it's for scaling them down. If it was always possible to have both CPU and GPU at max clock speed, why bother with that kind of trick ?
Every CPU/GPU on the market already adapt its frequencies to the workload, so is it just some kind of better optimization on that subject ?

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Posting my comments from the other thread:

So, when I made the statement that the GPU will spend most of its time at or near its top frequency, that is with 'race to idle' taken out of the equation - we were looking at PlayStation 5 games in situations where the whole frame was being used productively. The same is true for the CPU, based on examination of situations where it has high utilisation throughout the frame, we have concluded that the CPU will spend most of its time at its peak frequency."
This is important to show they're not gaming the metric.

Cerny also stresses that power consumption and clock speeds don't have a linear relationship. Dropping frequency by 10 per cent reduces power consumption by around 27 per cent.
This is a cubic relationship. 0.9^3 = 72.9%. That means drastic reductions in power. Downclocks should indeed be minor.

It's an innovative approach, and while the engineering effort that went into it is likely significant, Mark Cerny sums it up succinctly: "One of our breakthroughs was finding a set of frequencies where the hotspot - meaning the thermal density of the CPU and the GPU - is the same. And that's what we've done. They're equivalently easy to cool or difficult to cool - whatever you want to call it."

This is also an important point. Some Intel desktop CPUs run faster than their integrated graphics-less counterparts because those idle graphics cores actually add as a thermal spreader. If you had uneven thermal density, they'd be contributing to each other's hot spots.

There's likely more to discover about how boost will influence game design. Several developers speaking to Digital Foundry have stated that their current PS5 work sees them throttling back the CPU in order to ensure a sustained 2.23GHz clock on the graphics core. It makes perfect sense as most game engines right now are architected with the low performance Jaguar in mind - even a doubling of throughput (ie 60fps vs 30fps) would hardly tax PS5's Zen 2 cores. However, this doesn't sound like a boost solution, but rather performance profiles similar to what we've seen on Nintendo Switch. "Regarding locked profiles, we support those on our dev kits, it can be helpful not to have variable clocks when optimising. Released PS5 games always get boosted frequencies so that they can take advantage of the additional power," explains Cerny.
Yes, developers already see dropped clocks, but it's intentional. Some PC benchmarking sites tear their hair out trying to interpret benchmark results because of unpredictable boost behavior. This eliminates that.

"All of the game logic created for Jaguar CPUs works properly on Zen 2 CPUs, but the timing of execution of instructions can be substantially different," Mark Cerny tells us. "We worked to AMD to customise our particular Zen 2 cores; they have modes in which they can more closely approximate Jaguar timing. We're keeping that in our back pocket, so to speak, as we proceed with the backwards compatibility work."
This is the subject of several of Cerny's patents.

GPUs process hundreds or even thousands of wavefronts; the Tempest engine supports two," explains Mark Cerny. "One wavefront is for the 3D audio and other system functionality, and one is for the game. Bandwidth-wise, the Tempest engine can use over 20GB/s, but we have to be a little careful because we don't want the audio to take a notch out of the graphics processing. If the audio processing uses too much bandwidth, that can have a deleterious effect if the graphics processing happens to want to saturate the system bandwidth at the same time."
This is very important. It gives us an upper bound for how much memory bandwidth we would want on a per CU basis. Since the clock is the same as the GPU, PS5's number is 720GB/s.

As a result, with the GPU if you're getting 40 per cent VALU utilisation, you're doing pretty damn well. By contrast, with the Tempest engine and its asynchronous DMA model, the target is to achieve 100 percent VALU utilisation in key pieces of code."
This shows just how little of a system's teraflops can be realistically used. 40% VALU usage!

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Several developers speaking to Digital Foundry have stated that their current PS5 work sees them throttling back the CPU in order to ensure a sustained 2.23GHz clock on the graphics core.
So it looks like throttling is a thing on PS5 after all.

I am shocked!

BitterFig

Oct 30, 2017
technical question, does the 3d audio chip steal some power\computage performance in order to deliver that sweet quality or it's like the ray tracing chip on sex that gives the machine 13 more tf for rt stuff but doesn't steal anything from the 12 tf?

sorry if it sound stupid, but from a guy who absolutely doesn't care about audio i want to know if this stuff actually steal resources dedicated to graphics\framerate during gaming.
No, it's separate hardware. Video mentions that it consumes memory bandwidth but that's to be expected since everything is stored in the shared RAM including sounds.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I suspect the peak power thing is a momentary peak, not sustained. Processors are all about that these days, especially when power limits are around.

that's why geekbench results for iOS devices are deceptive. You won't see those results in real world applications.

even the i9-9900k is supposed to have a MUCH lower sustained power limit than what mobo manufacturers run it at.

this is why smartshift is still needed and integral.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
As far as variable frequencies...As long as Horizon Zero Dawn 2 and God of War 2 map screens don't rev the console up for take off, I'll be happy.

Happy for a quieter console period.

ThatGuyChike

Jul 31, 2018
I was just asking. I thought Cerny presented variable clocks as an advantage like this. Then why did he choose variable clocks if fixed clocks don't represent any problem for the hardware then? I mean the CPU clock speed is already low enough so i don't see why would have to downclock it to make more room for GPU clock. At least CPU clock should have been locked imo.
The variable clocks might simply be a technique to use the power headroom more efficiently by making sure every frame is at it's optimum power consumption.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I expect those development profiles are pretty conservative with clocks - in order to perhaps guarantee that 'in the wild' the performance will only ever be better?

Something to bear in mind, if and when those profiles ever leak. I expect they'd be grabbed onto in some quarters as the 'real' PS5 clockspeeds, but I think they'd necessarily be quite conservative vs actual performance on retail PS5s, if they need to be able to guarantee what devs see on their dev kits is the minimum that users will see.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Nope. The "argument" being thrown around was that it was impossible for the PS5 to run both at max, and that has been refuted.

I disagree. I've followed most discussions on this subject and the question has always been how often will the clocks stick to these frequencies in real-world conditions.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
It is silly for anyone to claim that the PS5 isn't powerful and won't have some crazy good next generation games developed on it, but outside of the SSD itself there are clear compromises compared to the Series X that developers have to contend with that will have some impact that may be most pronounced when we get true next generation games that really push the limits of what is possible with next gen hardware.

• Variable frequency approach is definitely a way to probably have it "punch above its weight" in some cases at least, but this is still something that developers have to be aware of which could impact their full vision by not having fixed known power available for CPU and GPU at all times. A game that wants to do some insane things with AI and physics may have to throttle down the GPU more than desired which would impact available GPU compute performance for ray tracing and other graphics capabilities and vice versa.
  • 36 CUs is pretty much guaranteed to make ray tracing less performant on the PS5 compared to 52 CUs on the Series X based on how AMD does things, and the fact that Cerny didn't even mention it again in the deeper tech talk with DF is likely an indication that he knows where he should be selling his platform which is smart
  • Memory bandwidth could definitely end up being a potential challenge with the mention of the audio 20 GB/s where even Cerny admits that you have to be careful not to impact graphics processing, and that is on top of the 9 GB/s decompressed bandwidth required by the SSD

OP
OP
Wollan

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
VRS is purely a software implementation waiting to happen on the PS5 at this point (maybe it's already in the latest Sony Graphics API?) being based on RDNA2 and all.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea what any of this actually means, but I do enjoy the conversations and concern trolling

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
RDNA2 has VRS. PS5 uses RDNA2. I don't understand where this idea that VRS is absent is coming from.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
Both in the article and in the video it is clearly stated that clocks can potentially vary depending on workload.

Yes? What is your point? The "argument" some people brought up, was that the CPU / GPU can not reach max clocks at the same time. And Cerny confirmed again, yes they can. That the clocks will vary depending on workload was always the case and never disputed.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
It is silly for anyone to claim that the PS5 isn't powerful and won't have some crazy good next generation games developed on it, but outside of the SSD itself there are clear compromises compared to the Series X that developers have to contend with that will have some impact that may be most pronounced when we get true next generation games that really push the limits of what is possible with next gen hardware.

• Variable frequency approach is definitely a way to probably have it "punch above its weight" in some cases at least, but this is still something that developers have to be aware of which could impact their full vision by not having fixed known power available for CPU and GPU at all times. A game that wants to do some insane things with AI and physics may have to throttle down the GPU more than desired which would impact available GPU compute performance for ray tracing and other graphics capabilities and vice versa.
  • 36 CUs is pretty much guaranteed to make ray tracing less performant on the PS5 compared to 52 CUs on the Series X based on how AMD does things, and the fact that Cerny didn't even mention it again in the deeper tech talk with DF is likely an indication that he knows where he should be selling his platform which is smart
  • Memory bandwidth could definitely end up being a potential challenge with the mention of the audio 20 GB/s where even Cerny admits that you have to be careful not to impact graphics processing, and that is on top of the 9 GB/s decompressed bandwidth required by the SSD

Yes the 448 GB/s of bandwidth looks very little. This is the only things worrying me on PS5.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I was under the impression they would bring new stuff but it felt like they just rephrased everything Cerny had already said. I want my 20 minutes back.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Shame Cerny doesn't comment on the DF findings or give no specific answers.

No answer for the lower clock bounds, no follow up on his claims that low amount of CUs with a higher clock beating more CUs but slower not being seen in practice. No follow up on how Rdna 1 (and all gpus basically) does not scale very well with frequency when you don't increase the bandwidth (and for a 5700 going over 1.9ghz is already non linear).

So basically this video just raises many questions about the actual ps5 performance but unfortunately still can't answer them, and I think that it will be unable to until the console launches.

DF

"Several developers speaking to Digital Foundry have stated that their current PS5 work sees them throttling back the CPU in order to ensure a sustained 2.23GHz clock on the graphics core."

I'm expecting graphical heavy games to cause either CPU/GPU to throttle a bit when fully pushing power. It looks like sony created profiles like switch docked/undocked modes where cpu or gpu run at lower frequencies to keep other higher and so forth. Going to be interesting to see more devs showing how they alternate power usage
They asked Cerny about this and Cerny response was that these fixed clocks are only temporary because the dynamic setup is still not enabled on devkits.

Though that sounds a bit troubling.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
so in retail their game will perform different than in the dev kit environment? i dont understand this

At higher clocks, at some times, perhaps yes.

If the game is fixed framerate you won't see it. So this won't 'break' games with fixed framerates or fixed cpu frametimes for gameplay logic purposes.

If the game has a variable framerate, the bits where framerate dips on a dev kit might be smoother on retail if the machine finds room to move power to the bound. I don't think any developer will mind that - but this is why I have to presume those profiles are set in such a way that they can basically guarantee 'in the wild' clocks will be as good or better than on the dev kit.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
Where I'm confused with this is why SmartShift would need to be used at all to move power from one to the other ("the unused portion of the budget goes to the GPU"), if there's enough power for both to run at their peaks simultaneously anyway.

Because not every instruction uses the same amount of power.
The Series X which is constant frequency does not run at constant power. Simple instructions will cause the series X to run lower power. Complex instructions will cause the system to use more power. Despite the fact that the system is always running at a constant speed.

The PS5 is the opposite. It runs at constant power. More power intensive instructions will tend to cause the system to downclock. Less power intensive instructions will tend to cause the system to run at 2.23 GHz.

FullNelson

Jan 28, 2019
I don't know anything about this, but was Cerny lying? Because that was a really common take on the PS5 deep dive thread.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Variable rate shading, or its functional equivalent, is an important optimisation method for virtual reality uses. It might even be in place already for PSVR. Either way, assuming Sony is still committed to VR, I'd be very surprised if the PS5 doesn't facilitate some version of the same basic principle, regardless of whether or not PS5 and XSX share the exact same implementation in silicon.

VRS is massively overhyped in non-VR purposes anyway. It's a handy optimisation that can deliver decent incremental performances improvements in many situations. Compared to checkerboarding, temporal interpolation, machine learning interpolation etc., it's not that significant. I thought it was weird as hell that when MS revealed the XSX specs that they chose to make VRS the second bullet point after "12 TF". I mean, MS gave VRS hype priority over the CPU, SSD, or raytracing. That's just random as hell IMHO.

Yeah it's a very Sony thing to do: recognize the importance of certain types of tech and if they can't flat out license or deal with patents they come up with their own solution. Hopefully it's easy for devs to implement if that's the case, but I have little doubt it will be.

On the second bolded- it's indeed a very MS thing to try and put their own initiatives front and center and hype them up as much as possible. That includes giving them flashy names to try and market them or hype them up. I don't doubt that they have some useful or interesting things they patent like with the tier 2 VRS stuff but I agree that a lot of the times these kinds of things may be of little consequence.

EDIT: just saw the additional posts about VRS T1 and T2. very interesting! hopefully it's something that isn't some DX/DXR exclusive and/or Sony has their own implementation of that feature with those same kinds of gains.

Last edited:

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Man, all these teraflops and clockspeed talks gonna be hilarious 2 years from now. Especially when It's been discussed by people that can't tell their bits from bytes.

EBomb

Oct 25, 2017
The article talks about the hope that Devs learn to optimize their code in a different way, I.e. to power consumption. Which sounds great for 1st party Devs to maximize performance for their unique APU. Sounds less great for multi-platform development.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
No, it's separate hardware. Video mentions that it consumes memory bandwidth but that's to be expected since everything is stored in the shared RAM including sounds.
thanks, and do we know how severe is the bandwidth consumation? and can i disable this thing if i'm not interested in 3d audio with my crappy tv speaker?

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I have no idea what any of this actually means, but I do enjoy the conversations and concern trolling
Concern trolling from the usual suspects is always entertaining. Keep up!

LoL I was about to say just that. It's so fucking transparent. As usual this thread is going to get bogged down with presumably a mod member coming to tell the kids to play nice.

PS5 threads quickly become quite the garbage fire.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
So the power can be reduced to the GPU or the CPU when it's not needed (the frame isn't utilizing the whole gpu or cpu), but what if the frame is stressing both the cpu or the gpu? how big will either throttle?

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Still no hard facts on back compat title #'s. Depending on who you ask on this forum its 100 or hundreds or thousands.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
They asked Cerny about this and Cerny response was that these fixed clocks are only temporary because the dynamic setup is still not enabled on devkits.

Is that said in the video?

Because the text makes it sound like optional modes for debugging/optimising purposes rather than the dynamic clocking being unavailable on dev kits.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Variable frequency approach is definitely a way to probably have it "punch above its weight" in some cases at least, but this is still something that developers have to be aware of which could impact their full vision by not having fixed known power available for CPU and GPU at all times. A game that wants to do some insane things with AI and physics may have to throttle down the GPU more than desired which would impact available GPU compute performance for ray tracing and other graphics capabilities and vice versa.

I think PS5 games will look fine, but what variable frequency means is it will punch BELOW its weight when it comes to real world performance. Just like with iOS. Just like if you limited an i9-9900k to its 5ms of peak performance rather than humming along at over 200W with AVX operations as mobo manufactures run the thing way out of """"spec"""".

but we don't have any decent measure of weight now anyways. SSD will be a huge factor, all these other innovations in the hardware will be a huge factor. You simply cannot compare even PC components on paper anymore, which is even more true for consoles.