• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Respawn

Dec 5, 2017
Hmm good stuff all around. Each part has a part to play and its up to the devs to bring it all together on stage.

Deleted member 2441

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't want that regardless of the virus. big-stage shows are becoming passe, I feel. a video and a journalist venue for hands-on is good enough for me

That, or a PlayStation Meeting aren't going to be possible for months and months. Can't have a bunch of people together in a space going hands on with hardware.

There's a big logistical issue with this reveal now that they've waited so long. Probably going to get some sort of low-key livestream...

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
Dark1x Can you confirm this?

So PS5 variable GPU and CPU speeds means running a very low game or app will make both run at much lower clocks so less risk of overheating when running small games or areas or apps while XSX will run evverything at fixed clocks all the time regardless of the power needed?
Isn't this kinda risky for XSX to run at such heat all the time, even if the cooling system is good enough? This may wear off components much faster.

Your current consoles dont have a change of frequency they run at a fixed point and they seem to have managed fine its more the norm and if as we expect the new gen is similar to now it will be only be 7 years.

True_fan

Banned
Mar 19, 2020
User banned (1 day): Trolling. Platform wars.
Not really. It is fairly clear what Cerny is claiming, just need to see how it actually works with software.
That's my point he's claiming, theorizing. Just say we have a system that can do x and be done with it. Using peaks that aren't possible to be operating simultaneously is just causing confusion. Their plan is to confuse until release, giving hope to fans there is some secret sauce to make up a performance gap.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Interesting nothing around the SSD and the I/O stack in this video considering it was like half of the Cerny presentation.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Okay so the PS5 is truly going in hard with the 3D Audio. I wonder how the official PS5 headphones will be optimized for it.

This is also interesting:

So unless I am reading this wrong the PS5 using the CPU at 3.5GHz isn't even using its full power budget. There is no reason for either to not to run at near max levels.
Yes. Smart shift is different than variable frequency. Smartshift gives some power from CPU (without downlocking it) to GPU when CPU is not fully used.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
and in the video, richard immediately follows thats by saying "The fixed profiles that devs are talking about are only used in ps5 dev kits and in retail games their code will tap into the variable clocks for extra performance"
its important to have the entire context.
Context, I don't know her......

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Also, PS5 will not have VRS... or i misinterpreted the article?

Quote:

And at the nuts and bolts level, there are still some lingering question marks. Both Sony and AMD have confirmed that PlayStation 5 uses a custom RDNA 2-based graphics core, but the recent DirectX 12 Ultimate reveal saw AMD confirm features that Sony has not, including variable rate shading.
"has not" as in Sony hasn't said anything about it, not that the PS5 doesn't have it.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
"GPUs process hundreds or even thousands of wavefronts; the Tempest engine supports two," explains Mark Cerny. "One wavefront is for the 3D audio and other system functionality, and one is for the game. Bandwidth-wise, the Tempest engine can use over 20GB/s, but we have to be a little careful because we don't want the audio to take a notch out of the graphics processing"

I was theorizing earlier today that the Tempest engine was actually one of the 4 idle CU's on the APU and it was utilizing the second 20GBps Onion bus (same as on PS4) for bypassing the cache and not having to share bandwidth with the other CU's. This seems to confirm that is the case.
The Onion bus (as it is called on PS4) is utilized for asynchronous compute needs hence the "take a notch out of the graphics processing" mention by Cerny I'm sure.

From the other thread:

This is not 20 GB/s of bandwidth from the GPU or the Onion bus linking CPU and GPU. This is 20 GB/s from the unified memory.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I don't see how this would wear out components any faster. This really isn't an issue with modern processors. It's not something could or should be used as a point of argument in any discussion, I'd say.

Of current machines, only Switch is a concern for me as it won't boot without some charge in the battery which means long-term usage will always require a functional battery.

Your current consoles dont have a change of frequency they run at a fixed point and they seem to have managed fine its more the norm and if as we expect the new gen is similar to now it will be only be 7 years.

I was just asking. I thought Cerny presented variable clocks as an advantage like this. Then why did he choose variable clocks if fixed clocks don't represent any problem for the hardware then? I mean the CPU clock speed is already low enough so i don't see why would have to downclock it to make more room for GPU clock. At least CPU clock should have been locked imo.

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
Yeaah... i don't like this approach, sorry. MS guaranteed stable( and high ) clocks approach sounds so much better.

A lot of dancing around i feel... Obviously first party will be fine though.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see how this would wear out components any faster. This really isn't an issue with modern processors. It's not something could or should be used as a point of argument in any discussion, I'd say.

Of current machines, only Switch is a concern for me as it won't boot without some charge in the battery which means long-term usage will always require a functional battery.
Agreed. My 9900k can run at balanced (downclock at idle) or full power modes. Despite the processor being clocked at the highest level on one of them the load on it being minimal meaning it is not actually running full tilt the whole time. Long story short; Full clocks are not full load.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I was just asking. I thought Cerny presented variable clocks as an advantage like this. Then why did he choose variable clocks if fixed clocks don't represent any problem for the hardware then?

He explained why in the GDC presentation. Fixing clocks = leaving performance on the table in many workloads, because of the need to be conservative with clocks in case of the 'worst case' workloads that would melt the system otherwise.

alstrike

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
That's my point he's claiming, theorizing. Just say we have a system that can do x and be done with it. Using peaks that aren't possible to be operating simultaneously is just causing confusion. Their plan is to confuse until release, giving hope to fans there is some secret sauce to make up a performance gap.

Should I ignore or report for trolling?

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I was just asking. I thought Cerny presented variable clocks as an advantage like this. Then why did he choose variable clocks if fixed clocks don't represent any problem for the hardware then? I mean the CPU clock speed is already low enough so i don't see why would have to downclock it to make more room for GPU clock. At least CPU clock should have been locked imo.
I think they're pushing the GPU clocks rather high and at the top end and this is a good way to get there when needed.

...but really, running full clocks doesn't mean full load. It's not the same as utilization. So it'll have no impact on longevity.

Dec 8, 2018
So am I missing something or why did the video not mention basically the SSD at all? I mean if there is one thing that sticks out it's the SSD in the PS5 and it was probably what Cerny spend most of his time on during the presentation.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, I suppose the question is, as we progress further in to the next generation and games are pushing the GPU and CPU much harder than currently, with intensive workloads of advanced graphical effects and ray-tracing, and more CPU utilisation for physics and AI etc, will "most workloads" still be sustaining peak clock? Or as developers move away from cross-gen development to exclusively developing for next-gen, are they going to have to make choices more often between prioritising CPU or GPU workloads?

My interpretation, and others can correct me if I'm wrong, is that when iddle the GPU and CPU will clock down when possible, so if a current workload asks for both to run at max clockspeeds, the system will use any downtime to save power consumption and thermals. If the system can't find any workload or time it can reduce clocks, it will use AMD Smartshift to make sure GPU can keep with the needed clocks.

I guess that's when the comment "most of the time" comes from. If at some point those measures aren't enough the chip will throttle to reduce power consumption enough time.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
I thought the testing done on different CU/Clock configurations at the same compute level was interesting.

Since Mark Cerny's PS5 talk there's be much discussion on Era about how "narrow but fast" was potentially more performant that "wide and slow." His example being 36CU at 1GHz may be faster than 48 CU at 750MHz, with both being 4.6TF

DF provided a very limited glimpse into how these configurations may play out in practice (12min 53sec). It's only one game, and one configuration, and I expect the results will vary on a game by game, engine by engine basis. The gist though was that in Hitman 2 the 5700 XT (40CU at 1890MHz, 9.67TF) was about 2.5% faster than a 5700 (36CU at 2100MHz, 9.67MHz) - with all other components in the system being the same. It will be interesting to see how results play out on more games.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So this is a little bit new. An order of milliseconds to get data through the I/O stack. That's pretty exciting because it does open up the possibility of on-demand, intra-frame requesting of some kinds of data.

I wonder how much you could get into memory within, say, 10ms...
Napkin maths: Assuming you're using the compression and can sustain 9Gb/sec, and that decompression is instant (not true, even for dedicated hardware), you're looking at 90Mb for a 10ms burst. The PS5's SSD is fast, but not that fast.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
So am I missing something or why did the video not mention basically the SSD at all? I mean if there is one thing that sticks out it's the SSD in the PS5 and it was probably what Cerny spend most of his time on during the presentation.

I didn't watch the video, but a good chunk of the text article talks about the SSD.

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Uhmmm ok. A lot of nothing there will be still debate about clocks and all the other things that needed to be clarified

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
and in the video, richard immediately follows thats by saying "The fixed profiles that devs are talking about are only used in ps5 dev kits and in retail games their code will tap into the variable clocks for extra performance"
its important to have the entire context.

Yup. Everyone choosing to forget the sentence right after the rest is amusing.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Variable rate shading, or its functional equivalent, is an important optimisation method for virtual reality uses. It might even be in place already for PSVR. Either way, assuming Sony is still committed to VR, I'd be very surprised if the PS5 doesn't facilitate some version of the same basic principle, regardless of whether or not PS5 and XSX share the exact same implementation in silicon.

VRS is massively overhyped in non-VR purposes anyway. It's a handy optimisation that can deliver decent incremental performances improvements in many situations. Compared to checkerboarding, temporal interpolation, machine learning interpolation etc., it's not that significant. I thought it was weird as hell that when MS revealed the XSX specs that they chose to make VRS the second bullet point after "12 TF". I mean, MS gave VRS hype priority over the CPU, SSD, or raytracing. That's just random as hell IMHO.
Incremental performance improvements?

Sure if you're talking about VRS Tier 1. But VRS Tier 2 - only currently supported by Nvidia's Turing cards, and confirmed for XSX - is a whole different ball game.

20200402-150939.jpg

It makes a significant difference to performance in addition to the other features you mentioned. And has less visual degradation impact. I've no doubt PS5 will support its own version of this as it's likely a standard part of RDNA 2.0 architecture.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
technical question, does the 3d audio chip steal some power\computage performance in order to deliver that sweet quality or it's like the ray tracing chip on sex that gives the machine 13 more tf for rt stuff but doesn't steal anything from the 12 tf?

sorry if it sound stupid, but from a guy who absolutely doesn't care about audio i want to know if this stuff actually steal resources dedicated to graphics\framerate during gaming.

tusharngf

Oct 29, 2017
Lordran
Incremental performance improvements?

Sure if you're talking about VRS Tier 1. But VRS Tier 2 - only currently supported by Nvidia's Turing cards, and confirmed for XSX - is a whole different ball game.

20200402-150939.jpg

It makes a significant difference to performance in addition to the other features you mentioned. And has less visual degradation impact. I've no doubt PS5 will support its own version of this as it's likely a standard part of RDNA 2.0 architecture.
Seems like a megaboost. What's the source of this image. Just want to read about it.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Napkin maths: Assuming you're using the compression and can sustain 9Gb/sec, and that decompression is instant (not true, even for dedicated hardware), you're looking at 90Mb for a 10ms burst. The PS5's SSD is fast, but not that fast.

I assume the latency is top-to-toe, including decompression, but maybe decompression is not factored in there.

But - 90MB per frame would be a lot! That's a few 4K textures worth of texels for example. Or could be enough to leave a number of classes of data to on-demand paging which had to be buffered before.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
No but the number one reason is most likely cost and maybe BC.
And the audio IMO.

And we....still.....don't know the form factor.

Obviously MS and Sony clearly had different design goals in mind. Someone in the speculation threads hoped this would be the case, and I am too.

It will make certain types of debates more interesting now...lol.

Just hope ppl that's extremely excited about the Series X can keep their excitement there and not in console warring.

Should I ignore or report for trolling?
whynotboth.gif

Nov 14, 2017
Based on this quote, it sounds like the GPU will usually be operating at a lower clock and then respond quickly to go higher when doing intensive processing for a short time - in this case Cerny suggests "a few frames". Based on this, it doesn't sound like it'll normally be operating at that peak clock like some posters were suggesting. But equally, it isn't temperature or CPU clock dependent either.
I think he's saying that the GPU and CPU can both run at the full clock the entire time - it just depends on the power budget. Some instructions are more power intensive than others, like AVX instructions on a CPU, and whatever something like Furmark does on a GPU. So, devs will have the option to do really power intensive stuff - they just have to pay it back, so to speak.

chipperrip

Jan 29, 2019
Please elaborate more on the concern?

There's way too much energy spent detailing dynamic clocks, power budgets, sacrificing CPU for GPU clocks, prioritization and differing workloads. Why go through all this trouble saying you're using AMD's APU power diversion tech, and then say:

"both CPU and GPU can potentially run at their limits of 3.5GHz and 2.23GHz, it isn't the case that the developer has to choose to run one of them slower."

...but really, running full clocks doesn't mean full load. It's not the same as utilization.

I think this is what is meant by potentially running the APU maxed out. The kind of game that will advertise native 4k120fps will likely have a light workload that can push both CPU and GPU to max clocks while staying under budget on power.