• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
Is there a setting to alert me when the controller needs charging?

I was playing Astrobot yesterday, and the controller suddenly died, and didn't even pause the game. WTH no warning

JediMPG

Avenger
Jan 6, 2019
These Activity Cards are amazing. Being able to boot into Spider-Man and Sackboy in 5 seconds is amazing. Saves so much time. I already detest main menus after using them so much.

Geeklat

Feb 13, 2018
The best new feature is also a bizarre one. I'm not sure if it's just a Spider-Man feature or not. At any point you can press the PlayStation button to go to menu and it lists all your current map objectives/challenges/side missions as we as your progress. From there I can go to one that's clear across town and choose "Start or Play" and it instantly teleports me in front of the NPC to start that mission.

smart patrol

Oct 27, 2017
Is there really no way to get rid of this ad garbage at startup? I do not care about the snow suit add-on for Fortnite, but that's my "theme" when I turn it on. I miss my Firewatch background image and sounds too.
It looks like those ads are based on games you "follow." I installed Fortnite a couple years ago which is why I guess I was following it. But I got rid of the ugly ad by going to the PS Store Fortnite page and clicking unfollow. Now I have a GTA ad which sucks too but it's better than the Fortnite one lol

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
There isn't :'D
You can only set preferences so, eg, your Y axis will be already inverted in the game options (IF the game is compatible with that).
You can find those preferences in accessibility.
Sorry to bug, but where in accessibility? I looked through all the options and didn't see anything for it.

Hetz

Oct 27, 2017
I like some of the things this new interface does, but on the whole, it really seems like a step back. It's like one step forward, two steps back. I miss having a "feed" that shows what my friends have been up too. Even a basic thing like that is missing! The Xbox interface is light years ahead right now, in terms of social features. I really hope they address this soon.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand why they removed the ability to hold down the ps button to put the system in rest mode or turn off

I think there's a conflict cause now holding the PS button is used to quickly go Home from an app or game.

Maybe a single tap to open the overlay, double tap to go Home, and long hold to bring up power options such as turn off, rest mode, and restart would be nice.

Jamaro

Oct 27, 2017
Really don't like the PS button functionality. Not sure I'll get used to holding it to get to the dashboard. The bar that comes up at the bottom feels like it should be on top. It all just feels very strange an unintuitive to me.

And yeah the game base thing is weird. Just the logical organization is strange. It just felt a lot easier to do things on PS4.

On a positive note I like that they've cleaned up the settings menus a lot. It was way too obtuse with too many options from the main settings screen (who ever thought putting sound and screen together on PS4 was a good idea?).

I feel like they need to pay attention to feedback, because while you cannot please everybody I am sure that over time they'll hear a plethora of complaints about some of the more annoying issues.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I like some of the things this new interface does, but on the whole, it really seems like a step back. It's like one step forward, two steps back. I miss having a "feed" that shows what my friends have been up too. Even a basic thing like that is missing! The Xbox interface is light years ahead right now, in terms of social features. I really hope they address this soon.

Yeah this is me right now. It seems like they actually killed all of their community features leading up to the PS4 8.0 firmware. Even PS4 users on the PS app don't have access to the social stuff/what's new feed now...

bbg_g

Jun 21, 2020
I think it's okay definitely a couple of steps back in terms of usability in which how we all got used to using the PS4. I'm happy its crisp looking and fast.
I agree I miss the friends feed. Do wish though that they do something more with the ps button. Hold it down for the same options as PS4 and keep the since click as the game dashboard? Or at least let us arrange the icons.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
Some curious choices, I'm loving the lack of icons on the main screen and separating media into its own tab is just lovely, now its all games on the main screen, nice.

Having a bunch of functionality in that tiny bar at the bottom that you bring up via PS button is not that great particulary how its added extra button presses to just turn your console off vs holding PS button. Not a fan.

Also with all the updates since launch to some old games an new coming up in the to top right corner 'unknown just updated' isn't helping the feeling this is coming in half baked. Leagues ahead of PS3 & PS4 day one though. Hopefully the updates are not as slow this time around.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
After spending a few days with it, I'm not a fan of its functionality. Almost everything takes one to two too many steps. The friends lisr/game base area is also really poorly designed. It wasn't great on PS4 either but it's even worse here.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Question for y'all- there's one thing that's not fast on my PS5 compared to everything else, and it's scrolling through the entire list of games on the main menu, by holding right on the dpad. Is it perfectly smooth for everyone else, or is is slightly laggy / stuttery? I ask because I'm trying to figure out if something's wrong with my system. On day one / first boot, I had database is corrupted errors every 30 seconds. A full reboot fixed it and haven't seen that since. Now twice I booted my PS5 cold and Demon's showed up as an unrecognized disc until I ejected it and put it back in. UI seems a little buggy or I got a lemon! But it feels like system software issues more than anything. Need dat stability.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
I don't understand why they removed the ability to hold down the ps button to put the system in rest mode or turn off

This is probably my biggest gripe with the new UI tbh, but I'm almost there with the muscle memory PSbutton>left>power option>select so much like getting used to swiping everything on my new iPhone 12 (I upgraded from an 8) I can't imagine it'll be peevish for too long.

Wakka212

Oct 30, 2017
The game help videos, estimated play times, and porting into games via activities....wow it comes together nicely.

I think not it needs some stability updates to make it all consistent and fill in the gaps where things crash, etc.

The activity cards usually show what I want, but sometimes are missing what I'm looking for. Also I'd like the ability to sort and organize them (trophies, levels, captures).

Otherwise I think there needs to be a button on each game hub / activities to get to it's trophies easily.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Really really hate what they did with trophies. Also hate that I can't hold down the PS button to access the power menu. Maybe im old fashioned but the cards seem weird too. I wanna open the game. Look at the map and then decide what I want to do. They do have alot of potential for multiplayer games if I can start queuing up from the home menu.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
The function of a UI should be to get to the most used functions as quickly as possible. As such, it fails in several ways. Trophies take too many button presses to get to and turning the console off takes WAY too many and it's bizarre that it got through in such a state.

Video/screen captures take too long to get to unless you've recently opened it up. They should be in the Game Base.

The Switcher would be useful if Quick Resume existed on PS5, but without it it feels useless.

Trophies list should be vertical rather than horizontal. They're trying to have design consistency with Activity Cards, but they don't need to.

I think those are my main problems with the UI. On the positive side, it's very quick, extremely pretty/sleek/smooth, keyboard is just fantastic, I love the main home screen design, LOVE having the store, the collection. the Playstation Plus stuff, etc all PERFECTLY integrated into the UI with no screen jumps.

It's honestly a great UI that needs some serious tweaks.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I like it overall, but there are some growing pains. IIRC on PS4 you can (or at least could before) set whether press/hold opened the main menu or the shortcut menu. Eventually it was just hold to shortcut. It should let you choose how you want it to react.

Let us please reorder all of the shortcut menu rather than just turning a few options off. Also make the chat/voice chat/party its own item so we don't have to go to Game Base (wtf is this) to check on messages, chats and the like. It's been weird to get used to.

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
I'm slowly getting used to the fact that you have to just tap the PS button to open the control center menu and hold it to open the Home main menu. I guess Sony switched them because they want the control center menu to be where you do everything? If they can streamline some things and add some features to the control center, then I'll be ok with it.

No_Style

Oct 26, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
My number 1 complaint with the UI is the forced HDR. Games that do not support HDR look off at best and terrible at worst. So now I am manually toggling for games.

nss

Apr 10, 2018
Yeah this makes no sense. I just intuitively tried to do this to power it down for the first time and was surprised it wasn't a feature.

So I thought this too initially, but one press of the PS button, hold right until you're at the last menu option in control center and press X is probably just as fast on the PS5 if not faster than it was to go into rest mode on the PS4. Just have to relearn, which is not ideal, but I don't believe it's any slower in practice.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't the new UI supposed to track "Do X times" type trophies or am I just making that up?

Mohsenix

Mar 31, 2018
I just realised trophy screenshots (and video clips) aren't shown in the trophy list, you have to go to the gallery to see them. Why on earth would not put the screenshot of the trophy next to it in the list?

Wasn't the new UI supposed to track "Do X times" type trophies or am I just making that up?

It does track but games have to support it I think. It tracks for Astro's Playroom trophies.

SirNick

Aug 26, 2020
I'm not loving the system experience so far. I don't like the PS button functionality, I miss being able to hold the PS button and quickly switch between sending all audio or only party chat audio to my headset. It's currently too many layers buried in system settings. I want a dedicated section for messages, parties, and friends. Not a big fan of all the tedious swapping and multiple layers to get to these things. I definitely like seeing active parties and the participants in a specific section, same with messages and friends. there are two places where you can view your friends list and both areas I dislike the layout, I definitely prefer the rectangles just wish they were smaller from PS4. I also miss seeing people's trophy level at a glance, it's too buried you have to click profile. Also another step back is that on PS4 you could leave multiple message threads but on PS5? You have to individually do it and it's very tedious, again multiple menus and layers. Visually it looks good, some of the cards and overlays are just too big. Ultimately I think the PS5 UI experience is too many steps back from PS4 in many ways.

NaudiRajah

Jun 8, 2018
I love it. The fact I can boot up and be playing Demons Souls In what feels like 3 seconds is amazing. Definitely in a much better starting spot then PS4 I'd say.

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
Is there seriously not a way to get to the trophy list while you're playing a game without going to back to the dashboard?

The more I use this thing the more I keep asking "did they even try using it?".

TeraDax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Québec
That probably not really a UI related thing, but is there really no way to stop the console from copying the Ps4 version of a disc game everytime I boot the console?
Switching between game version is a nice option, but my Ps5 keep starting to copy Watch Dogs's and No Man Sky's Ps4 when launching from rest mode.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Its amazingly similar to the ps4 UI in many ways but remixed

Its intuitive in the sense that its moderately familiar but then you have to learn all the little nuances that wete changed and it can be a bit annoying

Overall clean and servicable but missing some features that i would like to see. Its a mixed bag.

Small price to pay for the upgrades we actually care about. Updates and installs are no longer eating your life away